Droopy door dilemma. - DX Model Repair and Restoration - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Droopy door dilemma.

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2376 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hey guys,

Wonder if you can help. My AUTOart Mercedes 220D/8 is one of three AutoArts that has a droopy/loose door, that sags down. Any tips on how to fix it without taking it apart? (an exercise that'll only serve to introduce more problems, lol)

Cheers.

Attached File  DD2.jpg   80.14K   0 downloads

Edited by Scuddy, 22 June 2019 - 08:57 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

I've fixed this issue on an Autoart R34 before. Disassembled It, took the door off, then took the door card off to access the hinge and slightly bent back the piece of metal that screws into the door and runs across the hinge to tighten it up. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to do it without removing the door and door card.

Base
@basegtr

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2376 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

thank you for your reply, BaseGTR. I had a hunch that maybe the only route forward.

I *may* try and just take the door card off to see what's going on; have a feeling though that door opening angle won't be great enough for me to try and fiddle with metal/hinge that the door's attached to. I'll take a Brave Pill and then try, then I'll let you know how I get on :)

#4 ONLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1621 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

The most difficult part I find is removing the door cards. Everything else screws off but the door cards are very strongly glued onto a couple of pins. It's worth a try as sometimes you get parts that haven't been properly glued at the factory and will come off easily. But if they won't budge, I'd leave it as there's a lot of risk of damaging something else.

Base
@basegtr

#5 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2541 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

I think the best thing you could do Scuddy is to immediately put the 220D back in the box and ship it out to me... and in return i shall send you my Sunstar one with no sagged doors. :giggle: You even have a choice of saloon or coupe.
Seriously though i think you will need to partially dissemble the model in order to see what happens to the hinge and make adjustment accordingly. i have two Autoart coupe models with loose internal door card (and they are on the rear seats) the only way to fix them is via long tweezers and i am still not ballsy enough to tackle them.

#6 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2376 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

@ BaseGTR - yep, it maybe luck of the draw with respect to how well the door cards have been glued. As much as I love this 220D, it's QC is a bit ropey, as it comes from AUTOart's darker days, so they maybe badly attached, too.

@ Jazzy - lol, love your swap idea mate :) I'll be at the post office first thing Monday ready to ship the 220 to you, sir :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.