Pagani Zonda C12 - replica of the very first Zonda #001 - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

Pagani Zonda C12 - replica of the very first Zonda #001

77 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   EmilA

EmilA

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Model
  • Proud Citizen of:†uk

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:41 AM

This might have been covered before but how long does this process take usually for you to complete? Amazing work though, wish I had the time to do something like this myself but I simply don't.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostEmilA, on 10 October 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

This might have been covered before but how long does this process take usually for you to complete? Amazing work though, wish I had the time to do something like this myself but I simply don't.
For something like this with all the body changes, then paint and interior, some where around 100 hours. Some customs I have done have been quicker, and some have been over 150 hours to complete.

#28 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:41 AM

UPDATE 11/10/2019

Back onto the body today by starting with the nose and marking out the center lines of the lower driving lights
Posted Image
I then drilled the 3.2mm holes into the nose
Posted Image
I then glued in some 3.2mm plastic hollow rod
Posted Image

Posted Image
I then cut the tubes back leaving a little bit of a lip. I also cut in the body line with the X-acto fine saw blade
Posted Image
Sanded all the Tamiya filler in the rear underside
Posted Image
And I also sanded the last round of putty on the top of the front fenders. I did this to build up the height a little more than what Peako did.
Posted Image
Also putty was applied in the nose crack and sanded. I also squared up the center of the front lip and did some other final shaping
Posted Image
Primer on and looking pretty good. Sorry again for the blurry pic
Posted Image
Body is nearly there, just some small pit holes to fill on the top of the right fender
Posted Image
Some primer on the rear and this is now done
Posted Image
All the other little bits of putty touch ups were sanded and the whole body primed again. Probably can't tell, but the extra 1.5mm in height on the front fenders makes a big difference to the side view shape of the model
Posted Image
The nose putty I added either side of the front mouth openings needed a bit more of a sand to flush it up, so I sanded this all again both sides and sanded the tube for the lights flush unfortunately, so I re did the light tubes. Drilled out the old ones and repeated the process again
Posted Image
Trimmed these back again and left the lip on them. Happy now
Posted Image
I removed the tail lights as I have to fill those 2 little holes either side of the rear grilles. On the Monza, one had an air jack nozzle and the other hole was nothing. So these have to be filled and re apply carbon on the sides.
Posted Image
Tamiya filler in the holes, this will require a few goes to fill the holes
Posted Image
Now for the rear wing. I am re using the Monza blue wing blade for it's side profile shape
Posted Image
This was too wide front to back so I cut some of the entire length and sanded a round on the front edge
Posted Image
Next I cut some of the total length to match the C12's length
Posted Image
The C12 rear wing has like add on's at each end, so I marked out equal cuts on both ends of the wing blade
Posted Image
I then used a flat file to remove material at the front edge so I can add some 0.5mm plastic sheet and this will end up flush at the front but not at the back
Posted Image
I then used my gas torch lighter to bend some 0.5mm plastic sheet around the handle of my X-acto knife
Posted Image
I then trimmed these to a rough over sized shape
Posted Image
I then super glued them onto the blue wing blade
Posted Image
This is basically how it sits on the standard wing supports
Posted Image
Center mark on the wing blade, then some final cutting of the side plates to get a parallel angle to the rear fender
Posted Image

Posted Image
I bent the sides of the wing a little more and to lock them in place, I strapped them together with some tape and filled the gaps with super glue to hold them in shape. Once this dries, I can start adding putty to the under side to blend them into the blue wing blade shape.
Posted Image
Once this wing is finished I can paint the body. More to come. Thanks for looking. Cheers

#29 OFFLINE   EmilA

EmilA

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Model
  • Proud Citizen of:†uk

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:42 AM

That's quite a commitment. I struggle to have a few free hours a week so something like this would take me over 8 months to complete. Though I also lack the skill to be this precise. Keep up the great work!

#30 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30654 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:08 AM

A properly good update there Rob, great stuff!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#31 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:18 AM

View PostEmilA, on 11 October 2019 - 01:42 AM, said:

That's quite a commitment. I struggle to have a few free hours a week so something like this would take me over 8 months to complete. Though I also lack the skill to be this precise. Keep up the great work!
Thanks Emil, it helps that I am self employed, so I have a fair bit of spare time (Fortunate enough that I don't have to work 40 hours a week to earn a living)

View PostCraig, on 11 October 2019 - 05:08 AM, said:

A properly good update there Rob, great stuff!! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Cheers Craig, this is a few days here, but getting there.

#32 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3762 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:†bg

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:36 AM

So many details and stunning results :10:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#33 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3687 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

Brilliat update :rock:
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#34 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8829 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of:†ca

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Freakin awesome. Slowly shaping one thing into another by hand, thatís romance man! Canít wait to try this out myself
I mod stuff

Wes

#35 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:58 AM

Cheers guys for the feedback.

UPDATE 15/10/2019

Next I added some putty to the underside of the wing to blend in the plastic sheet sides to the blade
Posted Image
Final skim of putty over a couple of spots on the body
Posted Image
Quite a bit of sanding of putty on the rear wing, but got it pretty close I think
Posted Image

Posted Image
Rear wing primed and sitting on the back of the body
Posted Image
Now that I see the pics larger on the screen, still needs a couple of little spots filled and some minor tweaking of the edges
Posted Image

Posted Image
Overall, this is now ready to rub back all the grey Tamiya primer and then I can prime the body in 2K primer in preparation to paint the body silver. All this body work has taken quite a bit of effort to get here, but glad it's ready to paint.
Posted Image
More to come, so stay tuned. Next time I update, the body will be painted
Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11943 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

I keep saying it but this is a Stunning build,well done so far Rob. :10: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14: :danke:

#37 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

UPDATE 22/10/2019

Moving towards getting the body painted, I decided to fit the side A pillar mirrors now, as they did not have enough of a pin to hold them with a clip to paint. So I used some super glue to glue them into the pre drilled holes in the pillars
Posted Image
I thought this would be a good time too to make the templates for the carbon fiber decals needed for the front splitter
Posted Image
Body now in white 2K primer
Posted Image
Rear wing in 2K primer
Posted Image
Primer sanded then a couple of coats of silver base coat followed by a couple of coats of clear
Posted Image
Same on the rear wing
Posted Image
Masking removed off the carbon head lights and the center wiper cover
Posted Image

Posted Image
Next I applied new carbon decal to the surrounds of the tail lights as this covered the holes that I filled
Posted Image
I also applied the carbon decals to each side of the front splitter. I am using Hobby Design carbon decals this time as they are super flat and clear over very easy. I also scuffed back all the clear on the body too before I applied all the carbon decals
Posted Image
I painted the side skirts semi gloss black and again applied Hobby Design carbon decals
Posted Image
All ready to clear again. I had a small pin hole in the rear wing that I filled with Tamiya putty, and the body paint had a few bits of dust in it, so that is why a scuffed the whole body back again before re painting it.
Posted Image
I ended up masking the carbon parts again and misting another couple of coats of silver over the clear to get a better silver finish, then finished off with another 3 light coats of clear of the whole body including all the carbon bits. Came out better this time. Just 2 small bits of dust in it that will be polished out.
Posted Image
Hobby Design carbon came out well, super glossy with only a few light coats.
Posted Image
Carbon all glossy on the rear too.
Posted Image
Can't remember the last time I painted a model in silver, but it's a nice change.
Posted Image
Rear wing clear coated and carbon side skirts cleared too at the same time
Posted Image
That's it for today's update. More to come on this build. Cheers

#38 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11943 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:17 PM

Oh Rob,if only i had your skills,this is Amazing. :10: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :rock: :yahoo: :occasion14: :danke:

#39 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Darren

UPDATE 24/10/2019

More work today on the build, and starting with the dashboard. The Monza is a race car so the dash is missing the glove box and has the horizontal roll bar instead of the intergrated roll in the dash. So I made a resin casting of a Cinque dash
Posted Image
I cut the roll bar off the Monza dash and cut the corresponding faces of my resin cast part. Sanded them to fit up snug
Posted Image
Glued the resin parts onto the Monza dash and also sanded off the center control buttons
Posted Image
Monza dash and steering wheel on the left, but I am going to use the Topspeed dash and steering wheel on the right. More like the C12 units
Posted Image
Now that the body paint is fully dry, I made a start to assemble the body details. Side skirt mesh inserts glued in place
Posted Image
I filled the driving light holes with Kristal Klear glue. I saw a video on Youtube that you can make clear windows up to 1/4 inch with this glue, so I am trying this to make the clear lenses for these driving lights.
Posted Image
Head lights fitted, got them from Legende Miniatures.
Posted Image
Glued the carbon side skirts on
Posted Image
Painted out the wheel wells and bottom of front splitter and parts of the interior
Posted Image
Time to prime the dashboard in white primer, but I want to keep the front carbon part, so masked that up ready to spray
Posted Image
Tail lights glued back in
Posted Image
Engine grille glued in and the Motormax chrome fuel filler cap trimmed and glued in
Posted Image
This is the Motormax exhaust surround that I am going to modify and use
Posted Image
Original Peako exhaust pipes, need to cut about 3mm of the length of each one so I can re use them
Posted Image
I trimmed the lugs of the Motormax outlet, then sanded it's thickness down to 1.5mm thick from 3mm thick and glued it in place
Posted Image
I cut up the Motormax chrome muffler to use just the left and right faces of it
Posted Image
Glued them in place so you will just see them through the silver mesh
Posted Image
Mesh was black, I painted it silver and glued it in place
Posted Image
Then tediously glued in the 4 exhaust pipes
Posted Image
I also trimmed and painted the Motormax rear number plate light and glued it on. I also made the Zonda plate to match the real car
Posted Image
Glued on the rear wing and that's the back of the car almost done. Still have to add the Zonda emblem on the mesh. Still thinking about that one. A normal decal will sink into the mesh holes. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3762 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:†bg

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:35 AM

This is some next level s..tuff :omg:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#41 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

Thanks T

UPDATE 27/10/2019

Next I made some masking templates for the carbon surrounds for the door trims
Posted Image
I then cut out and applied some Hobby Design carbon decals to the trims
Posted Image
I can only get Tamiya paints locally here, and I they don't make the colors that i needed so I had to mix my own. This C12 has a light beige and a tan color, so I mixed my own to get close to the pictures of the car
Posted Image
Back onto the front of the model and I glued in the front solid mesh inserts and then the duct / divider pieces. I then touched up the parts with some matt black paint after this pic
Posted Image
Fitted the rear vision mirror and then painted all the inside of the interior pillars with the light beige paint
Posted Image
Painted all the interior parts and then coated them all in tamiya flat clear to take away the gloss on some parts. I added the speakers and Pagani emblem on the rear bulkhead, but I am still waiting for some flocking powder to carpet the floor and behind the seats
Posted Image
Assembled the Peako dash but used the Topspeed steering wheel and column, dash and chrome center panel as the Monza was a race dash just with colored buttons
Posted Image
Nearly finished the interior, just have to flock the floor, and add the seat belts, then I can do the final assembly and fit it all into the body. Once that is done, I can fit the windows, axles, brakes, wheels and I will be done. More to come., Cheers
Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   janositamas

janositamas

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1327 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, car photography
  • Number of Models:90 (02.2020.)
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, LookSmart, HWE, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†hu

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:33 AM

I really like the interior color combo, fantastic job!

#43 OFFLINE   CentenarioAndVeneno

CentenarioAndVeneno

• DX Community
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Model Cars, Sports
  • Number of Models:5 built, 4 modified, 4 bought
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AUTOart,
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

Great interior color choice, can't wait to see the custom model when it's done.

#44 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2400 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:59 PM

Initially thought this would be a simple mod job but it's clearly a lot more involved to convert this car, and you're doing exceptional as always Rob. This is going to come together very nicely.

#45 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3687 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:20 AM

I agree that the choice of interior colours is spot on - so elegant!
I can't believe that sticker is what Peako used for the dash....bit of a joke for a high end model :omg:
Posted Image

#46 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

View Postjanositamas, on 27 October 2019 - 01:33 AM, said:

I really like the interior color combo, fantastic job!
Thanks Tamas, yeah nice interior, just copying the real car

View PostCentenarioAndVeneno, on 27 October 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

Great interior color choice, can't wait to see the custom model when it's done.
Thanks mate, should be finished real soon

View PostPhatboi101, on 27 October 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

Initially thought this would be a simple mod job but it's clearly a lot more involved to convert this car, and you're doing exceptional as always Rob. This is going to come together very nicely.
Thanks Mark, yeah I thought it was going to much more simple, but as I got into it, there was a lot to change.

View Postmcaf123, on 28 October 2019 - 05:20 AM, said:

I agree that the choice of interior colours is spot on - so elegant!
I can't believe that sticker is what Peako used for the dash....bit of a joke for a high end model :omg:
The sticker for the dash is actually from the Motormax C12 model. I used it because the Monza dash was the race version just with bottons, and the C12 has the polished center console, so just used the sticker. Cant see it up close once fitted back into the body, so just wanted a chrome dash in there.

#47 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3687 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostROBSMC, on 28 October 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

View Postmcaf123, on 28 October 2019 - 05:20 AM, said:

The sticker for the dash is actually from the Motormax C12 model. I used it because the Monza dash was the race version just with bottons, and the C12 has the polished center console, so just used the sticker. Cant see it up close once fitted back into the body, so just wanted a chrome dash in there.

I stand corrected!
Posted Image

#48 ONLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2045 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:26 AM

UPDATE 29/10/2019

Today I glued the dash back into the body
Posted Image
I then glued the roof glass and rear window in place with Microscale Kristal Klear, this stuff is great and my go to glue for clear parts now
Posted Image
I then glued the front window in place with the same glue
Posted Image

Posted Image
Next is the side windows. Since the side windows had a race window in them, I had to make my own. Same as the rear 1/4 windows. So I made a template for the 1/4 windows out of card
Posted Image
I am using some Evergreen clear sheet this time for the windows. Put some masking tape on the clear plastic, traced around the stock Monza windows and the 1/4 window template
Posted Image
Cut them out, stuck them on some painters tape to mask the face, then cut smaller masks for the insides so I could paint the borders on the inside face
Posted Image
Borders sprayed just with some Tamiya matt black out of the can
Posted Image
Windows removed from the masking.
Posted Image
I then glued all the side windows into the body. That's it for today. More to come
Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6411 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of:†dk

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

i have never been a big Zonda fan, but this is still interesting. this looks to end up very nice. i like the colors of the interior so far. i think the tan will look good with the silver exterior.

#50 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30654 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 29 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Absolutely fantastic!!! So much progress since I last looked in. I love it!!!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.