Frankfurt Motor Show 2019 - DX Reference Room - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Frankfurt Motor Show 2019

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LAFerrari

LAFerrari

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1187 posts
  • Interests:Cars,movies,audio&video,travel.
  • Number of Models:100
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt,BBR,FrontiArt,Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: se

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

As i mentioned earlier in the "What did you buy today" section i was visiting Frankfurt to see the motor show.

Before i show the pics i have some thoughts about the show.
I remember the first time that i went to Frankfurt in 2007 it was the biggest car show that i have ever visited.
It was simply mindboggling to see so many car manufacturers in one place and if i remember correctly at that time there was 10 different exhibition halls packed with cars from just about every car manufacturer you could think of.

I have been to every car show in Frankfurt since then and i have to say that this years show was simply the worst of them, and the reason for that is that it seems that every manufacturer
nowadays are pulling out from the different shows around the world.
I think the total number of car makers was about 15 or so compared to earlier shows and they only used 4 or 5 of the 12 exhibition halls and they were not exactly full.
I am aware of the fact that these shows costs a fortune to host and everyone are cutting costs.
But i also think that they are missing a good opportunity to meet lots of potential buyers.
I think the organisers and manufacturers need to sit down and discuss if they are going to continue to arrange these events in the future.

Thats my thoughts for now, lets continue with the pics:

VW ID.3:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

McLaren 720S spyder:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW Concept 4:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW M 850i:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW M vision next:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Land Rover Defender:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Startech Bentley Continental Cabrio:

Posted Image

Posted Image

AUDI RS6 Avant:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   LAFerrari

LAFerrari

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1187 posts
  • Interests:Cars,movies,audio&video,travel.
  • Number of Models:100
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt,BBR,FrontiArt,Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: se

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

Here are more from Frankfurt:

Lamborghini Sian:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lamborghini Huracan Evo Spyder:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lamborghini Urus:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Porsche Taycan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mercedes EQ S:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SEAT el-Born:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats all from Frankfurt.

Since i mentioned that this years show was boring, i also made a day trip to a nearby city that i am going to post later.
Some of you are going to love it.

Thanks for watching.

#3 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4425 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:49 PM

Posting information online is probably the cause of falling attendances (no real surprise there!).
It's a lot cheaper, and so many of today's generation seem to think that seeing things in the flesh before buying is acceptable.
I am most certainly not of that generation, but 99.9% of the models I own were bought without any tactile interaction - so I can't cast the first stone....

Edited by slartibartfast229, 27 September 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the great pics :10:

As for the show itself, I read that it had about 250 000 visitors less than last year. Probably the hsot of news about protests and so on didn't help convince people to go, either.

But generally, the market in general is changing. I've had my fair share of conversations with people from various companies mostly in tech, these types of exhibitions are losing steam by the year.

But that doesn't mean that they aren't useful. It's just that the focus is changing. The big names certainly don't need it. For them it's only a big expense as they have to have a big stand, to pour many people there, cars and so on. And if someone is wondering whether to buy an S-Class or a 7 Series, that person will go straight to the dealers for a lot more personal approach. Of course, there are potential clients on the show, too but they aren't that many to be worth the investment. And the big names certainly don't need the extra publicity and they don't want to share the spotlght.

This is exactly why Apple, Samsung and a lot more companies in the tech world aren't doing their big announcements during these exhibitions anymore. Instead, they hold separate events in the days before the big shows to keep the attention for themselves.

Somewhat the same is also happening in the auto industry now. The big names announce their stuff beforehand and use the actual show just to let people see the things in the flesh. Doing that though leaves many people without a real reason to actually go to the show. If I know everything that BMW is announcing then why go unless it really, really, really interests me?

With that said, trade shows are still a great opportunity for smaller companies. Now they really can show off their stuff to a lot of potential clients and create potential new contacts. They rely on the drawing power of the big names to bring in the crowds, though. When the big names don't to that, less people go, thus less opportunities for the smaller players. But it's still a decent opportunity for them and it can actually bring a smaller, but more focused and thus useful, crowd. You don't really need 100 000 people if you only draw the attention of 1000 potential clients. It would be better to have 20 000 people, but have 5000 potential clients among them.

And even then, even the smaller players start to draw people away from the shows and into their showrooms. For example, the last motor show in our city (they are one every two years) all of the popular brands were there, but many had "co-events" in their showrooms, as well. It was there where you had to go to get a personal approach, actually test drive the cars and so on. The actual show was just a show basically - go there, look at the cars and girls and stock up your car catalogue collection, lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#5 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30927 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for showing the pics, it looks like a great day out :smile:

I love the Sian, I think it's a real stunner!! The Mercedes EQ S looks pretty crazy! Some of the front grilles on the BMW's are a bit ridiculous now, they're massive!!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#6 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

The UK lost its motorshows some years back. Today, manufacturers are leaning toward more 'open', local, events, like having a presence at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, CarFest or Kop Hill. I'm sure there are loads more but I don't know of all of them. These events are of a different dynamic to motorshows of old, and are probably better at creating - excuse me while I cringe - a more 'interactive' experience, that can be better linked or connected to any online activities or campaigns the manufacturer is running ahead of the show. Maybe today, it's a bit easier to measure ROI on these events than it was way back in the 'motorshow' days; that said, I do miss getting up early on a chilly October morning to get to the MotorFair at Earls Court or the NEC Motorshow.

Times change. No worries :)

#7 OFFLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

Apart from the McLaren, they are all horrible, especially the BMW 4 Concept.
All of my modified models : https://[email protected]/sets/

#8 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30927 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

View PostScuddy, on 28 September 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

The UK lost its motorshows some years back. Today, manufacturers are leaning toward more 'open', local, events, like having a presence at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, CarFest or Kop Hill. I'm sure there are loads more but I don't know of all of them. These events are of a different dynamic to motorshows of old, and are probably better at creating - excuse me while I cringe - a more 'interactive' experience, that can be better linked or connected to any online activities or campaigns the manufacturer is running ahead of the show. Maybe today, it's a bit easier to measure ROI on these events than it was way back in the 'motorshow' days; that said, I do miss getting up early on a chilly October morning to get to the MotorFair at Earls Court or the NEC Motorshow.

Times change. No worries :)

I have fond memories of going them when I was a lot younger, they were great. All until Ferrari and a few others decided that if you didn't look like you could afford one, you weren't allowed on to their stand. So basically it just meant a lot of blaggers queuing up to sit in a Ferrari. They also made you make a charity donation before they'd even acknowledge you and wouldn't give out any free merch unless you'd put enough money in. I'm not against it so much but I think if you've paid for a ticket you shouldn't have to do that. They end up charging about £20 for a poster that they've got hundreds of.

All this while some of the other super car brands were letting everyone who walked by on to theirs letting people sit in the car and giving out tons of free merch.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#9 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

^^^ true.

Also loved watching those motorshow TV specials, usually shown the Sunday before the event opened. That would heighten the excitement; well, bar the fact Noel Edmonds hosted some of them :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.