Laudoracing Lancia Beta Montecarlo 1:18 - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Laudoracing Lancia Beta Montecarlo 1:18

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

Here’s a car that may well be an acquired taste. It’s a 1:18th of the Lancia Beta Montecarlo, which you may know better for having visual links with that wonderfully mad 1980s rally monster, the Lancia 037.

If my memory serves me correct, here’s a long story short about how the car came into being. Fiat wanted to add a new sports car to its range. The Montecarlo was presented to it by Pininfarina. While Fiat liked the Montecarlo’s design, what it liked even more was the cheaper, targa-topped, wedged-shaped two-seater proposal presented to it by Bertone. So, the X1/9 became Fiat’s...err... X1/9, while the Montecarlo floundered a bit, until it found a home at Lancia, who developed it further to become the car you see here.

And the car you see here is the first generation Montecarlo as made by LaudoRacing, which is a less popular version of France’s Otto Mobile :) Like Otto’s products, the Montecarlo’s resin, sealed, and, bar looking pretty, it does nothing... except one nice touch is that the roof panel lifts off, just like an X1/9 :)

I think this is one classy looking car, even though I think the 1:1 has half a foot’s worth of too much front overhang; that said, to my eyes, it’s a quasi exotic, very Italian looking and very much able to hold its head high style-wise next to exotics like the Ferrari 308 GTB.

Laudo nailed the shape and stance. The quality is excellent, and it’s been painted and made with care. The lights and badges are very nicely done, and the interior is a great example of 70s futurism; it’s splendid, but dated, like all past visions of the future.

I’m very happy with it indeed, and I’m considering getting it in white, as well as the Messicana Tour liveried car in blue.

Overall, the Montecarlo’s not a bad result for a sporty Fiat that lost a commission to Bertone before it blossomed into a Lancia.

Attached File  LBM1.jpg   71.87K   1 downloads

.Attached File  LBM2.jpg   60.26K   1 downloads

.Attached File  LBM3.jpg   82.31K   1 downloads

.Attached File  LMB4.jpg   76.41K   0 downloads

.Attached File  LBM5.jpg   84.76K   0 downloads

.Attached File  LBM6.jpg   106.88K   1 downloads

.Attached File  LBM7.jpg   128.72K   1 downloads

Edited by Scuddy, 24 October 2019 - 08:31 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

It's unique for sure! Thanks for posting them here :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

Attached Files

• Attached File  LBM.jpg   67.25K   0 downloads

#4 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

View Posttanayast, on 24 October 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

:) thanks buddy! :) you know that buzz you get when you get a diecast you're really chuffed with... happy :)

#5 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4724 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

Very nice summing up!
I agree about the overhang imbalance, it's a weak point with the car.
Question for you:
Would you have preferred it to be originally marketed as a Fiat?

#6 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

thanks mate :)

I wonder whether the overhang is there to accommodate the then pending new crash regs that were coming in? I also wonder whether Pininfarina and Lancia knew the nose was a bit too long and the black 'wrap' over is meant to conceal the length a bit visually (although you could argue that by doing so, it just draws more attention to it...)

Good question if I'd have preferred it to be marketed as a Fiat. Back then, both Fiat and Lancia had a back catalogue of fine sports cars (although I'm not sure that Lancia had a rear engined one; I need to check), so I could see it working equally well as both. The Lancia looks like it should be more expensive than the Fiat... I can see the X19 selling at its price point, but maybe a Montecarlo sold as a Fiat at a higher price point would have struggled a bit.

That said, due to its back story, at least we now have both the X1/9 and the Montecarlo to enjoy :)

#7 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4724 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

View PostScuddy, on 24 October 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

thanks mate :)

I wonder whether the overhang is there to accommodate the then pending new crash regs that were coming in? I also wonder whether Pininfarina and Lancia knew the nose was a bit too long and the black 'wrap' over is meant to conceal the length a bit visually (although you could argue that by doing so, it just draws more attention to it...)

Good question if I'd have preferred it to be marketed as a Fiat. Back then, both Fiat and Lancia had a back catalogue of fine sports cars (although I'm not sure that Lancia had a rear engined one; I need to check), so I could see it working equally well as both. The Lancia looks like it should be more expensive than the Fiat... I can see the X19 selling at its price point, but maybe a Montecarlo sold as a Fiat at a higher price point would have struggled a bit.

That said, due to its back story, at least we now have both the X1/9 and the Montecarlo to enjoy :)
I have to admit I'd have an X1/9 even today, but the excellent Minichamps will have to suffice.  :yahoo:

#8 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

yep, it's still a very desirable car :) as indeed is Minichamps' version of it :)

#9 ONLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostScuddy, on 24 October 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

View Posttanayast, on 24 October 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

:) thanks buddy! :) you know that buzz you get when you get a diecast you're really chuffed with... happy :)

Yup. For the that buzz were for AutoArt's W124 E320 and Century Dragon's LR Defender 110 :nice:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.