1:18 Exoto 1979 Ferrari 312T4 driven by Gilles Villeneuve - Exoto - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 Exoto 1979 Ferrari 312T4 driven by Gilles Villeneuve

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AllOutApex

AllOutApex

• DX Community
  • 20 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Autoart, Biante, Classic Carlectables, Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:12 AM

1:18 Exoto 1979 Ferrari 312T4 driven by Gilles Villeneuve

Recenty, I had the opportunity to purchase either Scheckter or Gilles Villeneuve's 1979 Ferrari.

1979 would be the last year Ferrari would win the drivers title as it would elude them for 21 years before Schumacher's dominance in the form of 5 straight titles from 2000-2004.
The reason i chose Gilles version? Because yes, though Jody won the title, Gilles became a legend, still a mythical figure not only to the Tifosi, but in the Formula One community in general. He achieved this status through remarkable drives in the 1979 season, including what is arguably the best dogfight between two pilots in the sports history in the final laps of the French grand prix, where he and Rene Arnoux banged wheels 6 times and overtook each other countless times. Another notable drive that year was the Dutch grand prix, where after sustaining a collapsed suspension, Gilles drove at an extraordinarily dangerous speed on three wheels back the pits where he was actually suprised that his mechanics told him that he had to retire. Ultimately, Gilles following team orders not to overtake Jody for a Ferrari 1-2 at Monza, as well as Jody's 100% reliability over the season using the 312T4 gave him a 4 point edge over Gilles to take the drivers title.

Now onto the car. Being my first post, I thought I'd start with the oldest model in my collection. This model was made by Exoto in 1998, and most touring car or sports car models from that year are riddled with horrible dog leg hinges and low detail but Exoto were the exception.

Noble materials (parts that are produced using materials closely resembling what was used on the real car) are used throughout, with real metal used as extensively as possible, the detailed base plate of the car is metal, as well as the mirrored finished front and rear wings. No paint rash here, the paint is 100% perfect and decals look superb.
The seatbelts are made of a thin cloth material with photo-etched parts and looks and feels high quality. The tyres have coloured Michelin lettering as well as indented small letterings on the sidewall with a metal valve cap on each wheel. The brake and clutch pedals have photo-etched parts for the surface. There is also a photo-etched Ferrari badge in front of the steering wheel.
One notable detail is that the tiny bolts on the side and front of the car are all individually placed metal parts, not small dents ontop the the paintwork to resemble bolts, nor are they decals. Wonderful.
The front and rear suspension assembly seem to be produced soley with noble materials with very minimal use of plastics, with major parts all produced in metal, though the screws do look a bit ungainly.
Onto the engine, the mesh on top of the trumpets look marvellous, with a lot of noble materials used here as well. The battery, altenator and a flurry of wiring sit atop the flat 12, one of the last great engines before the widespread usage of turbo 1.5L v6's used throughout the early 80's. The rear transmission assembly appears to be made from metal and inboard brakes with the discs spinning with the rear axle.

Overall for a 1998 mode, this more than holds up against todays selection of plastic composite garbage and sealed resin models. Comparing it to more modern Exoto's or CMC's, it is also on par and does not at all feel like an older model, with nearly all the details replicated beautifully.

Now here are the photos. Enjoy!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3708 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

Now that's what I call a debut! Great post, great review, great pics, great model, great cars, great job :drool5: :10:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#3 OFFLINE   AllOutApex

AllOutApex

• DX Community
  • 20 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, Autoart, Biante, Classic Carlectables, Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:50 AM

Thank you! I've been a LONG time lurker on this site and finally found a bit of time to start sharing my large collection of cars.

#4 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3708 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Looking forward to see more and more :yahoo:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.