Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 (W116). Revell vs Norev - DX Model Comparisons - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 (W116). Revell vs Norev

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

New acquisition is the very handsome Mercedes-Benz Benz 450 SEL 6.9 presented below in metallic green by Norev. It's not the first scale model of this car in 1/18 scale. See what you think of it compared to the Revell model that came in a dark blue some years before.

The Mercedes-Benz W116 has a number of distinctive styling features that I think determine how convincing any scale model of this car will be. Shape of the body shell, the windows, lights, grill bumpers and bright work (chrome).  In addition, since these models have opening parts, the interior detailing and engine bay can be explored and compared. Then there is the finish of the models when all opening panels are closed, the paintwork, the quality of the wheels, tyres and chassis. And finally, there is that hardest of all qualities to judge: How does the model make you feel when you handle it, or look at it on your shelves alongside the other cars in your 1/18 scale garage.

Please scroll down below to the replies see my review of both models.

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 15 November 2019 - 07:04 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30397 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:45 AM

Is there any chance of you making a review and putting on here ?

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I will. I was being lazy by just posting a link to pictures.

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2199 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

I am actually quite tempted to get a green one but considering i already have the Revell one so I am a bit hesitate to add one more. Whats your thought on the Norev one overall? Worth upgrading for someone who already has Revell version?

#5 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2096 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

i've got the Revell and I've looked at loads of pics of Norev's and I've seen some at shows and at Mercedes World. If you can excuse that this isn't a direct comparison. but observation based on what what I've seen, here are my thoughts:

The ride height is now correct; Revell’s sat a little bit too low. Norev's bumpers and side trim (alignment of which seems to vary from model to model) now have the correct chrome and rubber effect, and the front and rear lights are more detailed than the Revell’s. But... the shut lines are still a bit wonky, the bonnet’s fit is still poor and the doors don’t always line up with the sort of finesse we’d expect from a modern Norev.

Inside, it is a mixed bag. The carpeting in the Norev now carries up to the lower part of the dash (nice), and the seat height adjusters are separate parts. But the comically oversized headrests of the Revell have been replaced by equally comic undersized headrests, which, at the back, are tilted in the wrong direction. The front seats are new too, boasting raised support on the seat base that the 1:1 doesn’t have, and they appear to be in an improbably near upright position.

Although it was right on the Revell, bizarrely, the steering wheel angle on the Norev is wrong - it is now near bus-like. I’ve no idea what was behind that change, much like the decision to change the rearview mirror.

The oddest change is under the bonnet; and it’s not just that the engine isn’t as detailed as Revell’s. Instead, it’s this - the slam panel and radiator surround are completely different to the Revell’s; these are metal changes. While we like accuracy (and, in fairness, it is now closer to the 1:1), I can’t help but think the the time effort required to change this barely noticed part, would have been much better spent aligning the doors and bonnet to fit more snugly. Other odd thinking is found in the bonnet’s dogleg hinges; they’re thicker than the Revell’s. I'm not sure why they needed to spend time working on that.

Is Norev’s W116 better then Revell’s? From what I can see, marginally, yes. It doesn’t improve on Revell's appreciably, while introducing some problems of its own. I think there’s still room then in the diecast world for a definitive W116. Until one arrives, Norev’s will be a passable, if slightly frustrating, stop gap.

Edited by Scuddy, 06 November 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2199 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Scud. Appreciate your thought on this subject. I guess the upgrades are pretty marginal but i probably won't mind a Norev one in green with brown interior (personally i think that is a great 70s colour scheme LOL) Just need to work out fund and space for one for the time being..  :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Revell and Norev have nothing between them the shape of the body and both appear to be correctly proportioned. I have studied real car pictures and these models and cannot decide which if any is more accurate. However, the stance of the cars is different and this is because they have differently sized tires. One of the illusions that of scale model cars is that the wheels, when exactly scale appear to be a tiny bit too small. True modellers will hate me for saying so, but I think whilst the Norev model has the correct sized tires it is the Revell, by slightly inflating the size of the tires that has the more convincing stance.

The Revell in this review is presented in a dark solid blue (factory colour Medium Blue) and the Norev in an olive green metallic (factory colour Nickel Green Metallic), so this won’t be a like for like comparison of tones. The finish of the Revell paintwork is nicely rich in blue but has unfortunately aged on my example, showing early zinc oxidation. But even ignoring this, the paintwork has not been applied with depth on the edges of the opening panels. The Norev has a surprisingly nice finish for a metallic paint (so often over scale on a model car) but again, at the door edges, the paint seems to lack depth. Both have a pleasing lustre and you wouldn’t be disappointed, but to be honest, alongside the AUTOart Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3, these are both poor relations.

Both models have fully detailed and flocked interiors which shows the intent of Revell and Norev to appeal to serious collectors. Both models have detailed roof headliner and the leather window trims on the doors, again indicating attention to detail that could easily have been overlooked. The wooden dashboard and door cappings are slightly more realistic on the Norev I think and the Norev has included seatbelt details.  The Norev has a slightly more detailed door cards but there’s not much in it I think.

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 08 November 2019 - 02:03 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Onto the engine bay, here the Revell has clearly superior detailing.  To begin with, the engine itself is a unitary unit, that is, a separate block with details added to it, with painted components, stickers, pipes and so on. It looks perfectly respectable, until you put it alongside a more detailed model such as AUTOart’s magnificent Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3 (which essentially the same motor with different capacity). It’s as if Revell went to considerable effort but lacked the skills to make a model engine with the finesse and detail that would be fitting for a 6.9 .  I’ve yet to see an engine bay by Norev that impressed me, and this model is no exception. Norev has attempted to create the illusion of an independent engine block by using black plating. It’s okay, if you want to open the bonnet and see something there, but it’s not convincing and you’ll need to get your paintbrush and pick out details. If only a photo-etch mechanical detail parts set was available in the same  way for plastic kits.

The chassis on both models are quite similar. Revell and Norev have used separate plastic parts to replicate front and rear suspension and exhaust systems. But because the Revell has an independent engine, it’s under frame details are significantly superior to the Norev. Unfortunately, Norev have piped the exhaust system across the box mounting screw holes and thereby spoiling the finish of their efforts. No such issues with the Revell and here again, they have shown their greater model making skills.  

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 08 November 2019 - 02:30 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

Onto the to the brightwork and other small details. Interestingly there is a clear difference between the approaches of Revell and Norev on this model.  The rear window shape of the Revell is slightly flatter across it’s width compared to the Norev and from the pictures I have studied, it appears that the Revell is the more accurate. However, the Revell has also used a thicker gauge of chrome, which I think is over-scaled because the real car has large chrome windows. Shrunk down to 1/18 scale, I would say that the Norev has the correct gauge but the Revell looks still looks right. The grills are similar but the Revell has given the mesh a slightly darker finish than the Norev. Again, it maybe that the Norev is actually correct, but Revell have given an illusion of depth by adding a black wash. As for the three pointed star, Revell have used a thick plastic item which looks toy like compared to the pleasing Norev photo-etched item. A blunder for Revell, for even a small 1/43 scale model by Minichamps has a photo-etched three pointed star.

Attached Files

#10 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

And now the lights. Here Revell’s efforts are simply not as correct or defined as well as the Norev. The Revell rear lights are perpendicular to the body but the real car rear light are at a slight angle towards from the boot lid to the bumper. A difficult detail to spot but full marks for Norev for the correct alignment here. (Minichamps also noticed this detail on their 1/43 scale model). Another let down by Revell is the over spray of the red / orange /clear lines of the rear lights. Again, Norev has clearly defined the demarcations and their model is superior because of it. The front lights are similarly more clearly defined on the Norev.

Edited by kitefighter, 08 November 2019 - 02:57 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

So in conclusion, I would say that both models have their good and bad points and I would echo the comments above by other collectors. If you have the Revell, and like the model, no need to change for the Norev. But the one thing I really do like about Norev models, is that more than any other maker, except maybe Minichamps, you can have this model in many of the production colours of the real car. This particular colour appealed to me as it was similar to the W116 Mercedes-Benz 280 SE that the managing director of the firm I took my first summer job owned back when I was sixteen years old. I remember how much I admired that car in the reserved parking bay at the factory. They are both great models and I’m grateful for 360 access diecast models for the price in an era of sealed resin or plastic model cars for more money.  Just don’t put either of these models alongside AUTOart’s Mercedes-Benz 300 SEL 6.3

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

that's super stuff Kitefighter; I think we have all been waiting for this W116 Revell v W116 Norev comparison for ages! Thank you! :-)

Just noticed that the Norev's front wipers are different; to my eyes, they're a bit cruder than the Revell's. I wonder why Norev changed them?

Also, on the rear parcel shelf, the rear speakers are quite different sizes, but this could be because the cars each respective diecast company took as their example to model from, had had them changed/upgraded over the years.

On the boot slam panel the Revell - unlike the Norev - has the two warning stickers present which, if I go by my own Mercedes, one warns you to check the tyre pressures are correct when adding heavy loads, and the other warns that unlocking the boot also unlocks the doors.  

Fascinating to see these side by side in the way that you have presented them, and the big question remains... is Norev's W116 basically a modded version of Revell's? :-)

I'm probably not going to buy the Norev, because I already have the Revell and I'm not sure that the Norev is sufficiently better to warrant buying another W116. But... if I didn't have the Revell, would I choose the Norev over the Revell? I'm still not sure, lol :)

Edited by Scuddy, 09 November 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4130 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

View PostScuddy, on 09 November 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

that's super stuff Kitefighter; I think we have all been waiting for this W116 Revell v W116 Norev comparison for ages! Thank you! :-)

Just noticed that the Norev's front wipers are different; to my eyes, they're a bit cruder than the Revell's. I wonder why Norev changed them?

Also, on the rear parcel shelf, the rear speakers are quite different sizes, but this could be because the cars each respective diecast company took as their example to model from, had had them changed/upgraded over the years.

On the boot slam panel the Revell - unlike the Norev - has the two warning stickers present which, if I go by my own Mercedes, one warns you to check the tyre pressures are correct when adding heavy loads, and the other warns that unlocking the boot also unlocks the doors.  

Fascinating to see these side by side in the way that you have presented them, and the big question remains... is Norev's W116 basically a modded version of Revell's? :-)

I'm probably not going to buy the Norev, because I already have the Revell and I'm not sure that the Norev is sufficiently better to warrant buying another W116. But... if I didn't have the Revell, would I choose the Norev over the Revell? I'm still not sure, lol :)
Nice additional information about the two versions, Scuddy.
I have the Norev because they are easier to find new (on surprise there!).
Fascinating info about the warning stickers, when did you last check the tyre pressures on your Revell model?  :giggle:

Edited by slartibartfast229, 10 November 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

lol :-)

#15 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

Yes, well spotted on the stickers and the better detailing on the wipers, and scuttle grill vents on the Revell. Little detailing like this, and the more busy engine bay makes this one of Revells flagship diecast efforts. But it is an older model, and Norev has caught up and corrected some of the mistakes on the older model, for example on the lights, the thickness of the chrome and perhaps the tire size.

#16 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30397 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

Cheers guys!

I only ever had the Revell 450 SEL in Black, but I sold it ages ago.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#17 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

I managed to find a UK registered Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 in the same colour.

And so I have detailed up the model with the same number plate and added a black wash to the front grill, bulkhead vents and exhaust pipe tips. What do you think?

Attached Files

#18 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4130 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

View Postkitefighter, on 15 November 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

I managed to find a UK registered Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 in the same colour.

And so I have detailed up the model with the same number plate and added a black wash to the front grill, bulkhead vents and exhaust pipe tips. What do you think?
Your number plates are very good.
I've been looking for some way of replicating the matt silver used on the numbers and letters for some time without success.
Here in Ireland we used identical number plates/colours until the 1970's.

#19 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Thank you - flattery will get you everything. The number plates are from BECC's self adhesive vinyl kits that you can buy from eBay. They come in different colours for different eras for UK car types. Fun and relaxing way to add some custom details to your 1/18 orv1/24 scale model vehicles. Next step for this Mercedes-Benz model is to improve the engine details by fitting scale electric cables for the distributor cap to the sparking plugs, battery leads and other pipework.

#20 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

loving the number plates! Please keep us posted on the other mods as they progress :)

#21 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4130 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

View Postkitefighter, on 16 November 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

Thank you - flattery will get you everything. The number plates are from BECC's self adhesive vinyl kits that you can buy from eBay. They come in different colours for different eras for UK car types. Fun and relaxing way to add some custom details to your 1/18 orv1/24 scale model vehicles. Next step for this Mercedes-Benz model is to improve the engine details by fitting scale electric cables for the distributor cap to the sparking plugs, battery leads and other pipework.
Which size did you go for, to suit 1/18tth scale?

#22 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:59 PM

Hello, thanks for the compliments, (not that deserve it - the real praise must go to Norev for making this superb model to begin with).

The number plates and lettering I used were the 1:18 scale decals, don't and rear. I used Tamiya narrow modelling tape as a datum to align the letters along the horizontal. For vertical alignment I sacrificed one plate and corresponding letters for a positioning template for the final number plates. I've detailed up a few models like this. Some results work better than others.

I'll update with engine detailing another time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.