YouTube's COPPA Child Protection Ruling - Will this be the end of diecast videos as we know it? - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

YouTube's COPPA Child Protection Ruling - Will this be the end of diecast videos as we know it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, MTG, 40k, PC gaming, political squabbling, history & astronomy
  • Number of Models:plenty of 1/24s, 1/18s and a few 1/43s and Kinsmarts.
  • Favorite Brands:Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: at

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Okay, so as you may know there are a plethora of diecast reviewing channels on Youtube, my small one being one of them.

Youtube lost a court case against the US govt, forcing them to implement new child protection policies. You can read more about it here:

https://www.theverge...ubers-new-rules

or watch a quick rundown here:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-JzXiSkoFKw

The way I understand it, this means EVERY SINGLE content creator on youtube (and there are tens of millions) will now have to label EVERY SINGLE ONE of their videos they have EVER uploaded as either "kid-friendly" or "not kid-friendly". Alternately, they can set their entire channel as either "kid-friendly" or "not kid-friendly" which will then be the default setting for all their past and future content.

And if they do not do this, Youtube's algorithms will begin sifting through the site January 2020 onward and do this for them instead. You know, using A.I. logic...

And for the A.I., harmless youtube channels that do not discuss history, politics, religion, economics etc., FOR EXAMPLE DIECAST CHANNELS, are in a grey-zone (they are adult collectibles but everyday people view them as harmless toys suitable for children to watch and learn more about) and might get interpreted as "kid friendly" content.

Here is youtube's definition of what is considered kid-friendly: https://support.goog.../answer/9528076

Diecast channels could potentially fulfill some of these wonkily worded points, like "the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures."

Let's face it, kids like diecast cars.

Why this is bad?

Because according to the rules, all videos labeled "kid friendly" will LOSE access to the comment section, the ability to link to other videos in the end screen tab, and notifications too.

This is a SEVERE BLOW for any and all post-video discussion in the comment sections but also to discover new videos at the end.

So from my current understanding, labeling your channel "not kid-friendly" is currently the best way to maintain the status quo of open comment sections and further video recommendations. If you have enabled ads, you will have to deal with a revenue loss as your videos are no longer available for kids to watch.

There is an "age restriction" mode on youtube that has been available to creators for several years now, what it does is make a video unwatchable unless you have a google/youtube account and are signed in (and your account fulfills the age requirement). Could this be what will happen to every "not kid friendly" video? I don't know.

If so, it would severely cut down not just on ad revenue for those whose channels are monetized, but on subscribers and on views per video for those not monetized as well.

Anyway, I found out all of this today, and have already received a notification on my channel to start labeling my videos, so time will tell how things will develop.

There are many popular diecast channels on YT like Rob's Model Cars, ExternalStar etc. and I'd hate to see them lose their comment sections and discussions.

Edited by Sir Arun, 14 November 2019 - 02:54 PM.

I run a YouTube channel called Imperial Diecast here: https://www.youtube....1oxnfg/featured

And make sure to check out my model car photos on flickr as well! https://[email protected]/albums

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3762 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

Interesting! I'll have to look into this :dunno:
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#3 ONLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6495 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

i think youtube has gotten worse for some years now. i have seen channels gotten terminated because of wonky/false claims. some got their channels back because of the big fan base helping out, but smaller channels usually dont have much of an chance.
now this 'kid friendly' shit stuff is turning things worse. i dont know why adult/grownup stuff has to be sacrificed because 'mUsT bE kId fRiEndLy. i would think that youtube would be big enough to have space for people all ages.
i do have noticed some people change what they do and how they do their channel because of youtube censorship. like saying Hitler in your video could get it demonetized. but what about history channels discussing the Second World War? it wouldnt be strange to talk about Hitler on a subject like WW2.

i use youtube often, for stuff like entertainment, music, physical training, tutorials on computer tech/photo editing/car repair/various guides and how to, car videos, scale hobby, medieval weapons and etc. i would hate youtube if this goes away.

as for videos "not kid friendly", i dont think they will get deleted, but demonetized and/or age restricted depending what it is.
but losing the comment section because the video is kid friendly? what purpose does that serve, and what idiot thought this is an good idea...

yeah im a bit annoyed by this kid stuff. sometimes i get carpet bombed with kid videos in the youtube recommended, despite not watching kid stuff.

#4 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2149 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:58 AM

As we discussed elsewhere, there won't be a problem. Just set your channel to 'Not kid friendly' and nothing will change. If you go into your analytics and see your age range of your viewers, the majority are not children (my channel anyway) my main demographic is 25-34, followed closely by 35-55 so this news changes nothing for me.

Don't stress, everything will be alright :yahoo:

#5 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 874 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:33 AM

For the USA, children are under 13, and our models are not suitable under the age of 14 ! problem solved :  Not kid friendly
Posted Image

Edited by Floper54, 15 November 2019 - 02:14 AM.

My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#6 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1273 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Many!
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:02 AM

To be honest, 99% of 'comments' on YouTube are not 'adult', they're moronic.

With the odd exception, I can't think of any video that benefits from comments, but I guess if there is a total absence of ads, there is a potential loss of revenue issue if your channel generates enough traffic, but I'm sure it's not the coming apocalypse...

M

Edited by snowman, 15 November 2019 - 03:03 AM.

#7 ONLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6495 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:46 AM

i forgot that, yeah, youtube comments can be 'quite' moronic at times :)

i read or heard something about the number of comments do matter for a video, it increases the chance of getting in the recommended.

#8 OFFLINE   Sir Arun

Sir Arun

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Diecast, MTG, 40k, PC gaming, political squabbling, history & astronomy
  • Number of Models:plenty of 1/24s, 1/18s and a few 1/43s and Kinsmarts.
  • Favorite Brands:Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: at

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostROBSMC, on 15 November 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

As we discussed elsewhere, there won't be a problem. Just set your channel to 'Not kid friendly' and nothing will change. If you go into your analytics and see your age range of your viewers, the majority are not children (my channel anyway) my main demographic is 25-34, followed closely by 35-55 so this news changes nothing for me.

Thanks for the replies, Rob. I'll do that as well. :danke:
I run a YouTube channel called Imperial Diecast here: https://www.youtube....1oxnfg/featured

And make sure to check out my model car photos on flickr as well! https://[email protected]/albums

#9 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2149 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostSir Arun, on 15 November 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

View PostROBSMC, on 15 November 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies, Rob. I'll do that as well. :danke:
No worries mate :danke:

#10 ONLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6495 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

Edited by Alex SZ1996, 24 November 2019 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.