The value of damaged high end models - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

The value of damaged high end models

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1296 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

There are many factors that determine anything, but as the cost of models on a whole  continues to stay on the rise, I wondered how much minor to serious damage affects the value.  In looking into some old real cars, even the damaged once can still fetch a huge price because.

I asked because there is a Kyosho F40 lightweight version for sale on Ebay, that has some damage to it. It has been for sale for a while.   The seller is up front and honest about the minor bits that have fallen off and even shows they are all there and does not include the original box,  but is asking $400 cndn, OBO, for it.   I know they go for $800 and up, but is minor damage on make it worth 400 or less, or is that more than generous for it?

I know in car auctions the value of a real car is determine by an actual scale based on factors like age and condition, be cool if there was one for scale models..if there isn't already.

The model I in question...143463165268.

My apologies if this subject has been raised before.

Edited by colourkin22, 17 December 2019 - 01:32 PM.

Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   snackwel5

snackwel5

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Watches, Baseball, Coin Collecting, Music, Photography
  • Number of Models:60 - 1:18
    11 - 1:43
    300+ - 1:64
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Maisto, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

It is a very curious topic. One down side of this hobby is that if you barely scratch the paint, bump off a mirror cap or wiper blade, have a missing piece of luggage, etc how it can drop the value significantly. This is true with coin collecting and numismatics. If a high rated coin gets a hairline scratch on the face of the coin, it can bring it from a $15,000 coin down to a $2,500 one instantly. It's definitely a risk that you assume whenever you purchase high end items.

When looking at model cars, however, you can't really compare it to the real counterpart. People pay high dollar amounts for barn finds, because there are resources readily available to restore them. Not so much with models. There are companies that make spare parts, or sell spare parts from the manufacturer (AUTOart Spares), but not are available. Doing paint repair is also a very difficult task, and gets rid of the originality of the model, which seems to be important in the eyes of collectors.

Edited by snackwel5, 17 December 2019 - 02:03 PM.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31236 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

I think it works out to be about £250 I wouldn't touch it. Maybe if it was half that price, but not for 400 CAD.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#4 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9006 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:42 PM

$400 cdn for that is insane.

Damage and the corresponding drop in value really depends on the type/extent of the damage and the model. I bought an Exoto D-type for $1000 cad and sold it for $800 cad because a couple of bits broke up. Nothing major and all fixable.

Your mileage may vary.
I mod stuff

Wes

#5 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

Thank folks,  you are in every way right.  That model is way over price, I see some on Ebay for not much more in new condition.   Though I wonder if the value drops so much with so little damage because the model so for an over inflated price to begin with.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#6 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2205 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

I have a red Kyosho F40 Lightweight in as new condition with no paint rash and with original box in mint condition, and I will sell that to you for $500 plus shipping if you want it. I would not pay $400 for a broken model with no box!

#7 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2861 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:06 PM

Why is a Kyosho F40 lightweight fetching more money than an original Kyosho F40? I thought the 1:1 lightweight models are not factory standard models, so morel like tuned cars.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#8 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2397 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:05 PM

Geez i sold mine with box (and complimented with minor rashes) for less than $300 AUD on eBay earlier in the year but it is in black so maybe it is less desirable? or not...

$400 is too much for unboxed damaged one in my opinion. I do see a lot of optimistic sellers trying to flog their old kyosho Ferrari for crazy amount of money and i do wonder if there are people willing to pay so much for them.. if so then i was kind of screwed cos mine went for so little... (it was in auction form anyway)

#9 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostROBSMC, on 17 December 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

I have a red Kyosho F40 Lightweight in as new condition with no paint rash and with original box in mint condition, and I will sell that to you for $500 plus shipping if you want it. I would not pay $400 for a broken model with no box!

Thank you Rob, I will think about it. I am not looking to buy anything right now..maybe in the new year. There is a model of Simons I am trying to find money for but I need to get through Christmas.  Honestly I was just poking around looking for a cheap f40 and was surprised to see that one still for sale as it has been up for a few months.   I don't mind fixing it if he would let it go for a more reasonable price. I honestly would rather have a regular one but if the price was right I am fine with a Lighted version.   I have a 1/12 one but would like smaller one to photograph along side some other 1/18 models..and its an f40.  If I go to get one I will let you know.

View Postferrariforever, on 17 December 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Why is a Kyosho F40 lightweight fetching more money than an original Kyosho F40? I thought the 1:1 lightweight models are not factory standard models, so morel like tuned cars.

Not sure, I don't know much about prices, except most are out of my range.  There are a few non red ones that look ok for a decent price but maybe the red ones are so high, sellers are trying to push the light weights.

View Postjazzy426, on 17 December 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Geez i sold mine with box (and complimented with minor rashes) for less than $300 AUD on eBay earlier in the year but it is in black so maybe it is less desirable? or not...

$400 is too much for unboxed damaged one in my opinion. I do see a lot of optimistic sellers trying to flog their old kyosho Ferrari for crazy amount of money and i do wonder if there are people willing to pay so much for them.. if so then i was kind of screwed cos mine went for so little... (it was in auction form anyway)

I guess it is hard to know when to sell and how much to ask for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.