Dropped a diecast and damaged it :-( - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Dropped a diecast and damaged it :-(

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

what a muppet.

Like all of you, I'm super careful when handling my diecasts, but last night I had a big 'off'; my little Norev just kinda tumbled from my hands, dropping about 1.5 metres onto a concrete-under-carpet floor. My first thought was that the mirror would come off. That was the least of my worries. The car looked fine, but the windscreen was cracked in places and dislodged, and wouldn't go back into place. Strange. A closer look shows that the top of the A-pillar on the passenger's side took the impact, bending it in slightly and pushing the roof across, so that the A-pillar on the driver's side now sticks out.

I'm mega cross with myself because I'm very fond of this Norev (which is why I was looking at it) and its unusual colour, too. I can't see any on eBay in this shade, so may have to get the red one. I guess if I had a vice and could try and push the shell back the other way, then try and find replacement glass. Don't hold your breath on that one, though.

Gotta say though... it must have had a hell of a thump to bend the shell...but do you know what? Despite that, nothing, NOTHING else came off! Norev makes them Tonka Tough!

To make me feel less of an idiot, please share your slip ups here, too.

(Dear Renault... I'm so, so, sorry for being an idiot)

Attached File  R5 Damage.jpg   78.96K   0 downloads

Edited by Scuddy, 31 December 2019 - 08:18 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8963 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

I dropped the front clip of a GMP Ferrari 330.... That hurt
I mod stuff

Wes

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

ouch!

#4 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4461 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostScuddy, on 31 December 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

what a muppet.

Like all of you, I'm super careful when handling my diecasts, but last night I had a big 'off'; my little Norev just kinda tumbled from my hands, dropping about 1.5 metres onto a concrete-under-carpet floor. My first thought was that the mirror would come off. That was the least of my worries. The car looked fine, but the windscreen was cracked in places and dislodged, and wouldn't go back into place. Strange. A closer look shows that the top of the A-pillar on the passenger's side took the impact, bending it in slightly and pushing the roof across, so that the A-pillar on the driver's side now sticks out.

I'm mega cross with myself because I'm very fond of this Norev (which is why I was looking at it) and its unusual colour, too. I can't see any on eBay in this shade, so may have to get the red one. I guess if I had a vice and could try and push the shell back the other way, then try and find replacement glass. Don't hold your breath on that one, though.

Gotta say though... it must have had a hell of a thump to bend the shell...but do you know what? Despite that, nothing, NOTHING else came off! Norev makes them Tonka Tough!

To make me feel less of an idiot, please share your slip ups here, too.

(Dear Renault... I'm so, so, sorry for being an idiot)

Attachment R5 Damage.jpg
Try reversing the impact area - pressing on the top of the right side A pillar and pushing towards the left hand side.
Do it slowly and carefully, and watch for any sign of stress fractures at the base of both pillars.
If this green one is rare, you may have to buy a whole model and swap the screens.
This will not help your mood, but why does this sort of thing happen to the rare or valuable subjects?
I knocked the additional wheelarch plate off my Spark/Raceland Jagermeister BMW 320 turbo, a rare model.
Luckily I was able to re-attach it with no obvious sign of the damage caused by a careless twit!

#5 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:34 AM

A few years ago I dropped my Kyosho Ferrari Daytona from less than 40cm as I was just taken it out and placing it for pics. The result?

This:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dead, right? Well, not quite. My dad took a hammer and a chisel-like "thing" and 15 mintues later:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are still small cracks in the windshield and the back window, but from a DOA to this. I am a happy camper.

My point is, with a little "love", yours too may be fixable.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#6 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1782 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

A member of my staff turned an Exoto Sauber C9 over once and as the engine cover doesn't clip on but is loose... :gaah:

#7 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4461 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

View PostGuiddy, on 31 December 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

A member of my staff turned an Exoto Sauber C9 over once and as the engine cover doesn't clip on but is loose... :gaah:
Was it the butler or the gardener?

#8 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

lol @ slart. "When one has staff..." :-)

T1000. I wanted to cry when I saw your Daytona, but that transformation is remarkable. Well done to you and your dad!

OK, once I have stopped apologising to the R5, I will try and apply some force to the roof. The cracks on the screen are minor enough to live with. But still...

#9 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:10 AM

I'm not a clumsy person, but I'm many decades past my 20's, and my vision and reflexes tend to betray me sometimes.

So, I do occasionally suffer the odd "butter fingers" moment, mostly when handling mobile phones and other objects I find a bit awkward to hold properly.

In the very rare event I handle my model cars, I always grab them firmly with both hands, place them on a table or desk, then sit down to examine them.

#10 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

View Postcwbs, on 31 December 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

I'm not a clumsy person, but I'm many decades past my 20's, and my vision and reflexes tend to betray me sometimes.

So, I do occasionally suffer the odd "butter fingers" moment, mostly when handling mobile phones and other objects I find a bit awkward to hold properly.

In the very rare event I handle my model cars, I always grab them firmly with both hands, place them on a table or desk, then sit down to examine them.

I think 'handle with care' - at any age! - is the motto here :-)

#11 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1782 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 31 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

What can I say? One lives well! :giggle:

#12 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3762 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 31 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Neither.... It was the dishwasher, but she prefers to be called his "wife" 🙄😜
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#13 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts
  • Interests:Diecast
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, & GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostT1000, on 31 December 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

A few years ago I dropped my Kyosho Ferrari Daytona from less than 40cm as I was just taken it out and placing it for pics. The result?

Dead, right? Well, not quite. My dad took a hammer and a chisel-like "thing" and 15 mintues later:

There are still small cracks in the windshield and the back window, but from a DOA to this. I am a happy camper.

Same thing happened to my black Kyosho Daytona but it wasn’t me that dropped it but a friend and he felt horrible.  Fortunately the damaged wasn’t that bad and I was able to repair it quite easily.

#14 OFFLINE   190mph

190mph

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, BBR, GT Spirit, Kyosho, Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:23 AM

I am more worried about my two cats lurking around and jumping onto the table where I photograph my additions.

#15 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2350 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

View PostT1000, on 31 December 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

That was a massive ouch seeing a beautiful Daytona's A pillar caved in but kudos to your dad for fixing it with a hammer. Perhaps i could do the same for my somewhat unloved Hot Wheels 360 coupe. Bought one many years ago and the dumb seller just shipped it in a hard envelope with bubble wrap and after parcels being stacked on top of each other during transit the model arrived with a slight caved in roof on one side. Can't really complain considering i only paid 99 cents for it.  :rolleyes:  I tried to mend it by heating it up with hair dryer and bent it back to shape but didnt work at all other than slightly chipped paint. Did your dad just tapped it lightly or something?

#16 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

The true "hero" was the chisel. A few well placed gentle knocks on the chisel with the hammer and it was all that it was needed. That all was done with the model disassembled and from the unside of the roof. We did it with the model on a towel to protect the roof. Also added some masking tape on the connecting points of the chisel inside, to prevent it from slipping too much. To be honest, I still can't believe all of that worked, but I had nothing to lose, so...

Also, one of the A-pillars was broken at the meeting point with the body, but a bit of Poxipol, some sanding and paint and it hasn't budged to this day.

Heating it up won't do much other than damage the paint and the plastics and probably make the metal too brittle if it's too much heat.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#17 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2350 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:25 PM

View PostT1000, on 08 January 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

The true "hero" was the chisel. A few well placed gentle knocks on the chisel with the hammer and it was all that it was needed. That all was done with the model disassembled and from the unside of the roof. We did it with the model on a towel to protect the roof. Also added some masking tape on the connecting points of the chisel inside, to prevent it from slipping too much. To be honest, I still can't believe all of that worked, but I had nothing to lose, so...

Also, one of the A-pillars was broken at the meeting point with the body, but a bit of Poxipol, some sanding and paint and it hasn't budged to this day.

Heating it up won't do much other than damage the paint and the plastics and probably make the metal too brittle if it's too much heat.

Yea i dont remember why i heated it up perhaps it was some "tips" from Hotwheels collector site or something. My model is probably cheap enough to be replaced but i never really have any motivation to do it LOL. And the defect is not very noticeable and i simply have the defective side face the other side on the shelf. :yahoo:

#18 OFFLINE   X-Filer

X-Filer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Cars, beautiful women... the usual!
  • Number of Models:530 at the moment!
  • Favorite Brands:Signature Models
  • Proud Citizen of: pt

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

I have my fair share of clumbsyness with my models so quite a share of them has "handling issues"... MY handling issues! A broken mirror here, a snapped-off bumper there, a scratch... I once dropped my HWE Ferrari 5999 GTO onto it's roof on an asphalted road where I was taking a few exterior shots, fortunately it didn't need panel-beating, just touched-up the paint and crucified myself for ages (or pretty much every time I look at the car and I notice the patchwork...)!
Posted ImageTOYOTA IS FOR LIFE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.