HWE Ferrari Prices - Hot Wheels | Mattel - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

HWE Ferrari Prices

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dviper

dviper

• DX Community
  • 24 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC,Exoto,AUTOart,MR,FrontiArt
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Hello.  I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to HWE.  And would like to know.  Why are models like the Red 458 Speciale for example. Going for big dollars now? Compared to when they were new.  Considering all the QC issues they had.  Would figure they would be worth less money. No offense to HWE collectors here of course.  Thanks and take care.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30667 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I've moved this here as I think it's a more appropriate place :)

Rarity really. But here they were not a cheap model to buy, a 458 Italia was around £100, prices really went crazy when they became hard to come by! Especially on the Alonso version!  I don't remember what a 458 Speciale cost though.
The QC isn't that good on them, on the 458's the front screen falls out of because the glue goes crusty. The Red Italia suffers badly from paint rash too. I've had lots of them and always sell them.

I looked on eBay at sold items, a mint in box Red 458 Speciale sold for £63 last November - I think that's a steal!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2757 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

The red Elite Italia started from 50 euro mrsp, went to 200+ euro at some point. Then dropped back to 100 euro now because of the vast quantity of the spider and the China edition coupe.
The Speciale is more wanted because of the low quantity compared to the coupe.
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#4 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 11815 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

I think with Ferrari, they always seemed to sell better than any other manufacturer. And with HWE, they were the best value. The red Ferrari's are always the popular choice and always seemed to sellout first and demand more on the resell market.

Rarity might be the reason, I think it's because they sold out fast and few want to give them up. The older HWE red Ferrari models were made in the thousands. It is just a matter of demand, and people always want them.
The Lonesharks Volvo follow on Instagram

#5 OFFLINE   34brk88

34brk88

• DX Community
  • 22 posts
  • Number of Models:75
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart&CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: tr

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

Hey there are still some red 458 Speciale's listed around 150 dollars on ebay. I believe it's close to the retail prices. This is not a very huge increase. But generally yes, for a long time hotwheels elite and Ferrari was a good match, especially the models in open boxes.

#6 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1034 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

View Postdviper, on 06 January 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

Why are models like the Red 458 Speciale for example. Going for big dollars now? Compared to when they were new.  Considering all the QC issues they had.  Would figure they would be worth less money.

Around 18 months ago, I paid €82 for the red 458 Italia and €90 for the yellow Speciale, with €20 postage on top of each. So €102 and €110, respectively. Both unopened, BNIB samples.

Were they worth that? For me, at the time, yes. Would I buy them today, for the same prices? Probably not, because today I'm way wiser and better informed.

Edited by cwbs, 07 January 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

I think both of your prices were excellent!

#8 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1034 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

View Postferrariforever, on 07 January 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

I think both of your prices were excellent!

Yeah, at the time I thought both were bargains, even with postage added. But I think I fell out of love with HWE and their hit-and-miss quality record, so today I'd pass on that deal.

Edit: I was following this Italia in yellow today, just went for €71 + shipping (unboxed, though). Ebay #: 254468044589

Edited by cwbs, 07 January 2020 - 03:06 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2229 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

Are the HWE 458 Italia still very much in demand? Somehow i feel that the HWE hype might have simmered down somewhat in the past year or so... I am not referring to 458 in particular but some of the sought after models appear to be sold for cheap i.e. between $50 to $100 on eBay auction heck i even bought a few myself at prices that i considered bargain and they were unattainable back then when they were commanding high price.

Speaking of the 458 Alonso version, i remember years ago my wife and her girlfriend each bought a 458 from local hobbyshop to surprise me and the boyfriend. I got the 458 GT2 and the other guy got the pearl white Alonso. Mine was 30 bucks dearer back then but looking back i think my wife should have got me the same Alonso model as well :giggle:  as i think Alonso version has appreicated more than the GT2.

#10 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

jazzy426, on 08 January 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

Are the HWE 458 Italia still very much in demand? Somehow i feel that the HWE hype might have simmered down somewhat in the past year or so... I am not referring to 458 in particular but some of the sought after models appear to be sold for cheap i.e. between $50 to $100 on eBay auction heck i even bought a few myself at prices that i considered bargain and they were unattainable back then when they were commanding high price.

Speaking of the 458 Alonso version, i remember years ago my wife and her girlfriend each bought a 458 from local hobbyshop to surprise me and the boyfriend. I got the 458 GT2 and the other guy got the pearl white Alonso. Mine was 30 bucks dearer back then but looking back i think my wife should have got me the same Alonso model as well :giggle:  as i think Alonso version has appreicated more than the GT2.

Indeed I also think that HWE models are depreciating. I think the reason is that the vast majority of HWE are relatively modern Ferrari's. Those are simply not iconic enough to maintain their values. So they may peak a few years after release, but decrease in popularity after the peak since more modern supercars are released.

I think in the long run only the following models will appreciate in value:
- not so iconic cars, but top quality models, examples: AUTOart millennium Mercedes, BMW models, AUTOart Zonda, Koenigsegg.
- iconic cars, reasonable quality models, examples: HWE 288 GTO, F40 etc.
- iconic cars, top quality models, examples: AUTOart McLaren F1, Kyosho F40 diecast, CMC Ferrari 250 GTO.

Regarding race cars versus street cars. I think the vast majority of race cars will depreciate compared to their street car counterparts.

My prediction is that the newly released BBR FXXK will depreciate significantly compared to the yet to be released BBR Laferrari, based on previous track car models: Kyosho 575GTC, HWE FXX (they remain dirt cheap 15 years after release). The fan base for track cars is just too small.

Edited by ferrariforever, 08 January 2020 - 01:40 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2229 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like those fab cars lose their appeal and popularity over time then huh. This tells you what kind of collectors those guys are.. just chasing newest shiniest bling bling toys and not true automotive aficionado. You are right about the Kyosho's 575 GTC... the model itself is beautifully crafted but the value hardly ever go up. I bought a 2nd one (with minor paint rash) for 50 bucks about 3 years ago and managed to sell it for $120 a year or two later.

#12 OFFLINE   dviper

dviper

• DX Community
  • 24 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC,Exoto,AUTOart,MR,FrontiArt

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.