"Civic Society" (Part 1). LCD Models Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Vs. Ebbro Honda Civic Type-R FK2.. - Honda | Acura - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

"Civic Society" (Part 1). LCD Models Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Vs. Ebbro Honda Civic Type-R FK2..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11480 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

2019 offered us collectors some real treats in  the way of surprise releases. From Auto Carries to Lincoln Navigators, it looked like there was something for all of us :yahoo:

So, with the news that  Ebbro out of the blue just upped and cancelled their FK8 Type-Rs, for a while it looked like we were all going to be left with either resins or just AUTOart's plastic versions for this model to be represented in 1/18th scale for an opening example. With Ebbro dropping out of working relations with LCD Models, LCD decided to pick up and run with the FK8 themselves, but still using Ebbros CAD data with some upgrades. Ebbro is used to making 1/43rds mainly(sometimes the occasional 1/24th scale) their chassis work is WEAK to say the less for larger scaled models. Now, my main grip with LCD's FK8 is, that they didn't upgrade the chassis. It's pretty much like what you'll find under a sealed resin. That said their chassis is pretty much as limited-ly detailed as the Ebbro FK2 is underneath. Otherwise LCD Models has done a really nice job elsewhere on their FK8 Type-R. LCD's chassis is weaker than AUTOart's because LCD Model's Type-R was originally supposed to be the Ebbro version, which was made by LCD for Ebbro using Ebbro's CAD data. However, LCD has done a really nice job upgrading the hinges on the FK8 compared to the doglegs used on the FK2 Type-R. With that said, I am glad that the FK8 is priced like normal LCD Models versus what Ebbro was charging  (which many of us had already pre-ordered). So, it's still a win, I got two LCD FK8s for less than the original Ebbro FK8 pre-order price as well as lower than the FK8s by AUTOart.

One big FK8 improvement over the FK2 that was immediately noticeable is the interior detail. Overall the FK8 is leaps and bounds a head of the FK2 interior wise upon first view. The front seats look like they should in the FK8, versus the blocky style presented on the FK2. The interior materials look better inside. Another bonus is, that the more relistic hinges are winning all day long with the sharpest eye'd collectors....just don't flip it over and look at the chassis and all is good.

Something that I noticed was that the exterior's white color on the FK8 looks more warm, like a "Pepper White" and the FK2 looks like the original Type-R "Championship White". Just looked it up, should be Championship White on the FK8 as well? :dunno: They should actually match one another..hmmm
Another thing that I figured out recently is, that the hood gap that we were all complaining about, is adjustable. It's that way because it has hinges. If you push down on it, you can make it really tight, but then it's really difficult to get a finger nail in to pry it open. So, don't fear the gap! Under the hood/bonnet, you'll find a pretty decently detailed engine bay. Also, something that AUTOart doesn't have on their model is, a working suspension which you'll find that here on the LCD Model.
You'll also be grateful to hold the FK8 in your hands, it's a heavy one and full of details. Features like working fuel cover, struts in the rear hatch and of course the hood/bonnet hinges with metal prop rod to support the good, as well as well painted under hood/bonnet contrasting finishing in matte black. Also, the model has P.E. badging where applicable.
The wheels and brakes are top notch, as well as the carbon-fibre pattern on applied areas. I'm really grateful that I have the opportunity to own these gems and be able to share them with my fellow DX members.

One last thing. The LCD Models FK8 Type-Rs are North American spec, but with EU sized plates..meanwhile, the FK2 is JDM spec RHD.

Begin...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opened Up!...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Part 2 Coming Soon!...
Posted Image

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1699 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for this review Dave!
Honestly the 1 thing that made me scare to buy the LCD FK8 is the hood gap but after reading your explanation and seeing the photos, that's not an issue at all!

I am really tempted to pull the trigger and get the LCD FK8 but kinda feel like I can't justify it since I spent the money on the resin FK8 by MotorHelix last year:

Posted ImageUntitled by tanayast, on Flickr

Edited by tanayast, 07 January 2020 - 02:33 PM.

#3 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11480 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:00 PM

View Posttanayast, on 07 January 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

Thanks for this review Dave!
Honestly the 1 thing that made me scare to buy the LCD FK8 is the hood gap but after reading your explanation and seeing the photos, that's not an issue at all!

I am really tempted to pull the trigger and get the LCD FK8 but kinda feel like I can't justify it since I spent the money on the resin FK8 by MotorHelix last year:

Untitled by tanayast, on Flickr
Thanks Stefanus!!! :danke: As tempting as it was to buy other FK8s, I held my horses and waited for Andy to get in these LCD Models. After their AMAZING Range Rovers, I was excited to give them another try :yahoo:

Well, I can tell you, that if you do ever buy one, you won't be disappointed! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.