35th Anniversary DIABLO custom model - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

35th Anniversary DIABLO custom model

76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:32 AM

There is one model that I have wanted for a long time, and the only one I have ever seen for sale was an APM version and it was nearly $2000. This is the 35th Anniversary Lamborghini Diablo, not a factory produced model, but was built by a Swiss Lamborghini importer named Roland Affolter in 1999 and a total of only 9 cars were produced. It was based on the second generation Diablo SV which had the fixed head lights like the Diablo 6.0 and had a huge wrap over rear wing and a revised rear bumper mainly, just some color coded SV 3 piece rims, and some color coding in the interior as well. Not sure if the power was increased, there is really not a lot of information about this car at all.

I got this AUTOart Diablo SV off ebay cheap with no box, but it was in pretty good condition. This will be the perfect base for this new custom model, with just new head lights, fitted, a custom made rear wing and rear bumper, then just some custom paint.

Posted Image
I got lucky with some parts in stock on AUTOart spares and picked up a Diablo 6.0 dash which will have to be grafted into the older interior
Posted Image
I also picked up a set of the Diablo 6.0 head lights as well which will be fitted into the modified diecast body to replace the pop up head lights
Posted Image
I got all the model stripped today and the only issue I had was with the wheels, the brake discs were glued in so I had to use the dremel to grind away the back of the hubs to remove these, as the spokes of the rims are very easy to brake. Therefore the wheels will not spin like the factory model, instead they will have to be custom mounted and glued solid. Not a problem for me, but the model should still have steering. More to come.
Posted Image

Edited by ROBSMC, 10 January 2020 - 12:35 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2530 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:59 AM

Very cool custom idea Rob.
I'm lucky enough to have an APM SE35 in silver that I bought many years ago. It does show its age however being one of the early kits from APM, and to my knowledge they never re-released the SE35 like they did later on with the 6.0 and VT models.
Yours will certainly look more up-to-date so will be a pleasure to see how it turns out.
The rear design of the SE35 is just insane with the quad exhaust and wing, which is why it's one of my favourite version for the Diablo.

#3 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:00 AM

View PostPhatboi101, on 10 January 2020 - 02:59 AM, said:

Very cool custom idea Rob.
I'm lucky enough to have an APM SE35 in silver that I bought many years ago. It does show its age however being one of the early kits from APM, and to my knowledge they never re-released the SE35 like they did later on with the 6.0 and VT models.
Yours will certainly look more up-to-date so will be a pleasure to see how it turns out.
The rear design of the SE35 is just insane with the quad exhaust and wing, which is why it's one of my favourite version for the Diablo.
Thanks Mark, U43 has a yellow one for sale, but they want huge money for it. As usual, I will just build it myself and save a ton of money. On the plus side, it will be an opening model.

#4 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6583 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

good idea with the interior. i dont think the first Diablo interior was looking that good, but the new in the 6.0 is much better.
will the 6.0 fit right over, or does it require some fitment?

#5 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

View PostAlex SZ1996, on 10 January 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

good idea with the interior. i dont think the first Diablo interior was looking that good, but the new in the 6.0 is much better.
will the 6.0 fit right over, or does it require some fitment?
Thanks Alex, yeah I agree, the first gen Diablo with the double pods was not my favorite, the 6.0 dash is less obtrusive for the driver and is a smoother flowing design. It wont be a direct fit, some modification will be required

#6 OFFLINE   sudden

sudden

• DX Community
  • 56 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

Great project! Back in the day, I had a builder do the orange one from the APM kit. Still love it.

#7 OFFLINE   Eric

Eric

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2739 posts
  • Interests:Diecast
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, & GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:27 PM

Rob, have you ever seen TKDiecast wheelhub guide?  

https://tkdiecast.co...-guide-autoart/

#8 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:48 PM

View Postsudden, on 10 January 2020 - 11:16 PM, said:

Great project! Back in the day, I had a builder do the orange one from the APM kit. Still love it.
Thanks, sounds cool in orange

View PostEric, on 11 January 2020 - 08:27 PM, said:

Rob, have you ever seen TKDiecast wheelhub guide?  

https://tkdiecast.co...-guide-autoart/
Yes, It is primarily for his wheels and back of the wheel stems on his wheels to fit those adapters, but could be an option

#9 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:07 AM

UPDATE 13/01/2020

Made a start today on the side skirts of this Diablo as the scoop opening is facing forward, not backwards like on the AUTOart model. So first I measured out where the angle line of the new vent will be and worked out the size of the first plastic sheet infill piece would go
Posted Image
I then super glued those pieces of plastic sheet onto both side skirts
Posted Image
Next was to cut out the bottom section so using a small drill bit, drilled the bottom corner with a hole. I then cut out the plastic with the xacto knife
Posted Image
I then cut the rear of the scoop shape with the fine saw blade to a vertical like the pics I have of the car, and then filled in the bottom sill with another piece of plastic sheet
Posted Image
Some Tamiya filler to blend it in. I let this dry for 24 hours to allow for any shrinking, and will then sand it flush so you don't see the joins
Posted Image
Next I moved onto the interior, by cutting the center console in front of the gear shifter where there was already a line in the casting so I could detach the dash from the rest of the interior
Posted Image
I found that after a lot of comparison and measuring that the dash boards are nearly identical in shape and size, so the new Diablo 6.0 dash nearly just slots into place. I just had to cut the steering column slot wider as it is in a slightly different position. But this should work!
Posted Image
I just sat the interior tub back under the body and sat the dash in place and I think this will work just fine.
Posted Image
Next I had a play around with the engine pieces. Now I am no weathering expert like lateapex, but I just used some Tamiya panel line accent on the engine block, headers and gearbox details, just to dirty up this old Diablo a bit
Posted Image
I then made some painting changes to the top section of the motor. The painted red raised lines on the silver covers were deleted and painted in silver just leaving the red Lamborghini logos, and I also painted the ignition leads in matte red Tamiya enamel
Posted Image
As this 35th Anniversary Diablo has quad tail pipes all in a row, I cut the side sections off the center muffler so these will be fitted side by side
Posted Image
I then painted the inside of the pipes matte black and this is how they will sit through the back bumper
Posted Image
The standard rear exhaust heat shield was just painted in a matte silver, so I applied a small piece of Bare metal foil over it and I am really happy with how it came our. Looks much more realistic
Posted Image
Not a massive change to the overall look, but just enough to make it look a lot better
Posted Image
And I just finished stripping all the paint off the diecast body. Next I will attempt to fit the 6.0 head lights into the body. Time to make a mess with the Dremel! More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:01 AM

UPDATE 14/01/2020

Today, I marked out the shape of the headlight lense on the diecast body. I used my Diablo 6.0 to get the size of the cut outs.
Posted Image
Just checking the lense on the body
Posted Image
I then used the Dremel with a thin cut off wheel and cut the shape of the lens opening as close to the line as possible. I then used a file to file the edges back to the line. After the lens could be inserted correctly into the hole, I used a flat file to flatten the metal in front of the cutout.
Posted Image
AUTOart Diablo 6.0 head lights sitting in under the diecast body. The cutouts will need a little filling here and there, but that is normal to finish the edges
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I then sanded the putty that I applied to the side skirts yesterday
Posted Image
A quick coat of Tamiya spray primer to see where I have to fill some more. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#11 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1510 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:13 AM

How on earth do you find the time to do so much.  Kudos my friend.

#12 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3957 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:07 AM

Yeah, you expert modders make it look as easy as putting together a LEGO set :omg:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#13 ONLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31622 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:14 AM

Coming along nicely Rob!! :yahoo:   Re, the side skirts vents being the wrong way, they released it that way, then realised and did it again with them the correct way round. :duh:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#14 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

View Postlooney, on 14 January 2020 - 01:13 AM, said:

How on earth do you find the time to do so much.  Kudos my friend.
I try to do an hour a day on my models, I find I can fit that in to my schedule

View PostT1000, on 14 January 2020 - 05:07 AM, said:

Yeah, you expert modders make it look as easy as putting together a LEGO set :omg:
Thanks T, just practice I guess. Been modeling since I was 14/15 years old, so that's 36 years of building models. Wow, I just felt old.

View PostCraig, on 14 January 2020 - 06:14 AM, said:

Coming along nicely Rob!! :yahoo:   Re, the side skirts vents being the wrong way, they released it that way, then realised and did it again with them the correct way round. :duh:
Thanks Craig. Oh, I did not know that about the skirts. Wasn't too hard of a fix to swap them around.

#15 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:53 AM

UPDATE 17/01/2020

Yesterday I added some Tamiya 2 part putty to the inside edges and underside edges of the head light openings to fill the sides in as the AUTOart headlights have no sides, and also the little cuts left from the dremel
Posted Image
While I had some putty mixed up, I also filled the old rear wing holes in the body
Posted Image
Also filled the rear bumper fog lights too, but still had some putty left so started to build up the rear center section too. There is much more to add to the rear bumper, but I will do that with the next putty mix
Posted Image
Sanded all the putty back to the edge of the diecast so the headlight fitted back in
Posted Image
Both sides done and looking alot better
Posted Image
A quick coat of grey Tamiya surfacer / primer to check the progress. Nearly there
Posted Image
Hood and bumper primed and sitting in place. A little more finessing and it will be done
Posted Image
And the final skim of Tamiya putty on the side skirts was sanded and primed again. These are now finished. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6583 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

did you pick  a color for it yet? i think something flashy would be appropriate :)

#17 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

View PostAlex SZ1996, on 17 January 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

did you pick  a color for it yet? i think something flashy would be appropriate :)
I was just going to paint it in the pearl yellow like the pics of the real car at the start of this post. What color do you think would look good?

#18 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:38 AM

View PostROBSMC, on 17 January 2020 - 06:36 PM, said:

I was just going to paint it in the pearl yellow like the pics of the real car at the start of this post. What color do you think would look good?

Not that I'm going to weigh in on the colour of your model especially as that comment was for someone else, however I just did a quick google, all I've been able to find on the real car is Yellow or Orange/Gold colour.  Can't seem to find a registry of all 9

Posted Image

Edited by looney, 18 January 2020 - 12:39 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:54 AM

View Postlooney, on 18 January 2020 - 12:38 AM, said:

Not that I'm going to weigh in on the colour of your model especially as that comment was for someone else, however I just did a quick google, all I've been able to find on the real car is Yellow or Orange/Gold colour.  Can't seem to find a registry of all 9

Posted Image
Oh, I have never seen that picture, right rear wing but that has the standard rear bumper :dunno: Not sure I'll do orange as I already have 2 orange Diablo's in the collection. Yeah, there is really very little info online about these cars.

#20 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:28 AM

UPDATE 18/01/2020

Time to make a start on the rear bumper. First I taped the inner part of the bumper to the body
Posted Image
I then sanded the last application of Tamiya putty to follow the contour of the stock bumper at the top edge
Posted Image
This is how the lower part of the bumper sits in standard form. It sticks out at the back past the rear light panel
Posted Image
So I sanded the mounting blocks off the inside so that it now tucks back vertically level with the tail light panel like the real car. I then just trimmed the sides back into the rear wheel well
Posted Image
Now as I have to apply some putty extensions to the rear bumper that have to fit up flush to the inside bumper piece, I applied some vaseline onto the body where the putty will contact. I want to add the putty to the rear bumper and push it up the the body behind so it follows that shape on the inside. The vaseline will stop the putty sticking to the diecast / plastic body parts (hopefully)
Posted Image
Lower bumper taped in place and Tamiya 2 part putty squeezed into the sides and off center either side too
Posted Image
After the putty was applied and left for 15 minutes or so, I carefully pulled the rear bumper away from the body. I will let this dry for a couple of days before I start sanding the putty back and to shape
Posted Image

Posted Image
Now to try and make this rear wing. I am using a piece of 1mm styrene sheet and will attempt to heat and bend the sides of the sheet, then cut it all back to shape. The lines roughly mark where I want to bend the sides down
Posted Image
I used a heat gun this time to heat a larger area of the sheet and then bent and held it around a marker until it cooled and it held it's shape
Posted Image
I then slowly cut the overall size down bit by bit until I was reasonably happy with the shape. Not quite what I wanted, but a little more work required
Posted Image

Posted Image
I measured and cut out the center rear flap section to try and scale the size of the wing from pictures I have. I am happy with the back shape of the wing, but the sides at the front taper inwards too much. So I will have to add some Tamiya putty to build the sides out to match the body, then sand away the excess underneath to correct the shape. Should work.
Posted Image
So I added more putty to each side, and once dry, I will sand this all to the right shape. I am sure I will have to repeat that step again, but it is a tricky piece to hand make. (sometimes I wish I could use a 3D printer)
Posted Image
More to come after the putty dries and I can start sanding parts to shape. Thanks for following the build. Cheers

#21 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:33 AM

Yeah I think that yellow has to be the way to go. It's the only one that seems to be regularly photographed. I only found 2 photos of the orange one and nothing else. I thought I found a greenness but it was a different Affolter car.

#22 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6583 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

cant go wrong with yellow. i dont know if you want to use colors only used on the SE35, but i think some kind purple would be interesting.

#23 OFFLINE   Robbo1983

Robbo1983

• DX Community
  • 22 posts
  • Number of Models:Too many!
  • Favorite Brands:UT, AutoArt, Otto, Ertl, GMP, Highway 61, Kyosho and many others!
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

I love lambo's in black don't know why, something mysterious about them in black. Dark grey is also a good colour for them too.

#24 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9121 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Purple! Like Prince’s car
I mod stuff

Wes

#25 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2309 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:50 AM

UPDATE 23/01/2020

Made a start on the rear bumper today after letting the putty dry for 2 days. Sanded the fill in blocks flush with the lower part of the bumper and with the diecast body above that. I also marked out the vertical cut lines while I had it taped to the body
Posted Image
Used the Tamiya fine cut saw to cut away the excess of the putty blocks and gave it a sand to equal everything up
Posted Image
I then used a square file held at 45 degrees to cut the bevel lines into the putty between the blocks and the top edge of the original bumper
Posted Image
I also cut the lower line in the center space where the number plate goes
Posted Image
Next round of Tamiya putty on the lower section of the bumper. This will bring the sides down lower and vertically straighter, and also add bulk to the lower center where the exhaust outlet will be. Again I will let this dry for 2 days to get nice and hard, then lots of sanding to get it into shape
Posted Image
Next is the wing, after around an hour of sanding the putty sides that had dried solid, I was able to get this thing into the right shape. Still have to do the center flap, but the overall wing shape is there with just a tiny bit of fine tuning to do where it meets the body
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
A quick coat of grey primer to check the edges. Nearly there. Next update should get the rear bumper all shaped. More to come, cheers.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.