1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - GMP | ACME - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums - Page 2

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Yeow Yi Fan

Yeow Yi Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 349 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: sg

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

View PostUpgrades, on 05 February 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

What a great review. Great pictures too, gives a good comparison with the the real car.

I have bought mine in 2008, Black #0119. I had the same feeling about the front and rear lights and in particular the fog lights. Also I didn't found the wheels nicely executed. To ruff and the center had a big gap as the original had the center also polished aluminium.

On the other side I really like the model. One thing as well is that the seat belts in the front can be pulled and they will retract. They did this with a spring inside. But don not pull it to hard as it might not go back any more. I know this because I took this model apart for some upgrades in 2008. I placed some pictures under need but let me know if they are not welcomed.

Please let me know if you don't like the pics.

Thank you for the review, hope you will do more of those.

Giovanni

:danke: Those are some tasteful mods. I do not have much confidence in modding and also would not want to 'play' with the seat belts... :giggle:

The modded fog lights definitely look so much better.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#27 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1919 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

View PostUpgrades, on 05 February 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

What a great review. Great pictures too, gives a good comparison with the the real car.

I have bought mine in 2008, Black #0119. I had the same feeling about the front and rear lights and in particular the fog lights. Also I didn't found the wheels nicely executed. To ruff and the center had a big gap as the original had the center also polished aluminium.

On the other side I really like the model. One thing as well is that the seat belts in the front can be pulled and they will retract. They did this with a spring inside. But don not pull it to hard as it might not go back any more. I know this because I took this model apart for some upgrades in 2008. I placed some pictures under need but let me know if they are not welcomed.

Posted Image
To get the effect of more realism, I took the head lights of a 1/24 Tamiya BMW M635CSi model kit. Drilled the hole out and placed the chrome part behind it.

Posted Image
Left without the stubs and the on the right the original.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Sorry, but I did more upgrades, GMP Kineses wheels painted black and a thinner antenna. Added reflecting pieces in the corner lights.

Posted Image
The rear lights has been re done as well. I made clusters for each part of the lights and also reflecting tape on the bottom of the lights. Aluminium exhaust tips which been heated before with a lighter.

The front fog lights are easy to be done, but the car need to get apart.

Please let me know if you don't like the pics.

Thank you for the review, hope you will do more of those.

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni

May I ask how did you remove the wheels from the GMP Mustang?
I have the older 5-spoke GMP wheel set and would like to swap that into this Mustang (I have the teal one).

Thanks!
Stefanus

#28 OFFLINE   Upgrades

Upgrades

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 492 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GMP, etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

Hi Stefanus, PM send

#29 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Number of Models:100s
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto/GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:49 AM

Nice review. I personally have the Teal version and the offset of the rear wheels is slightly off IMO. Not a big deal though. GMP/ACME, ever since they were bought out have been hit or miss IMO to the quality they used to have pre 2008 or even pre 2010 models. Those were true works of art and highly detailed. It's funny though because I have one of their newer 1969 Z/28 Camaros and this thing is flawless and quality. The fox's I tend to ignore and buy no matter what since I owned an 86' GT, 89' LX, 99' GT, currently own a 2012 GT, and i'm in the process of looking for another four eye 85'-86', only 86' though since that's the year Mustang guys know it had a bunch of major changes with the four eye look.

#30 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostBoostMasterZero, on 11 August 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

Nice review. I personally have the Teal version and the offset of the rear wheels is slightly off IMO. Not a big deal though. GMP/ACME, ever since they were bought out have been hit or miss IMO to the quality they used to have pre 2008 or even pre 2010 models. Those were true works of art and highly detailed. It's funny though because I have one of their newer 1969 Z/28 Camaros and this thing is flawless and quality. The fox's I tend to ignore and buy no matter what since I owned an 86' GT, 89' LX, 99' GT, currently own a 2012 GT, and i'm in the process of looking for another four eye 85'-86', only 86' though since that's the year Mustang guys know it had a bunch of major changes with the four eye look.
Excellent information about the Fox Mustangs.
I never thought of calling them 'four eyes' though....  :yahoo:

#31 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:59 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 11 August 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostBoostMasterZero, on 11 August 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

Excellent information about the Fox Mustangs.
I never thought of calling them 'four eyes' though....  :yahoo:

Yep, technically 79-86' Mustangs were all four eyes and does apply to all of those, but the term didn't really get coined until the 1985 GT came out which was a much more muscular look in the 1980s and then when Ford came out with the 1986 GT, they made the switch to fuel injection, an 8.8 rear end, true dual exhaust, and many other minor differences. What makes the 86' special is because of the features I mentioned and because if you wanted that car in that body style it was only in 1986 that you were going to get it. (There was no internet back then, so no one knew a completely re-designed Mustang was coming out in 1987) The EFI should've increased power, but the heads were restrictive and the car lost 5-10hp, but it had an 8.8 rear end for the first time and you can always tell an 86' from an 85' because of the 3rd tail-light in the deck lid spoiler. The 3rd tail-light became law for all motor vehicles in the U.S. in 1986. It was considered a new safety feature which is why all cars have a 3rd brake light, it's not because they like the styling, lol. Sorry i'm just a Mustang nut. It may not be everyone's favorite car, but when I was growing up, fox bodies ruled the streets. My last DD car was a modded WRX, but i'm a Mustang guy to the core.

Edited by BoostMasterZero, 12 August 2020 - 06:04 AM.

#32 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:31 AM

In Australia, Dick Johnson raced a 1986 Mustang in the ATCC, but felt the engine could have produced more power with a bit of improvement to the heads.
There is a very nice model of that car, in it's later guise. He also used the car in it's earlier form before upgrading it.

#33 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

It would interesting to read a review of the Welly 1/18th 'four eyes' model.
It's almost impossible to find at reasonable prices in Europe - most searches throw up the SVO version.

Edited by slartibartfast229, 12 August 2020 - 07:02 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 12 August 2020 - 07:02 AM, said:

It would interesting to read a review of the Welly 1/18th 'four eyes' model.
It's almost impossible to find at reasonable prices in Europe - most searches throw up the SVO version.

You mean this one...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

They are near impossible to find on eBay, but I keep looking for more to add to my collection. The blue one doesn't match any real color since it would be light regatta blue which was the color of my 86' GT, but i'm still glad to have it.

Edited by BoostMasterZero, 13 August 2020 - 06:38 AM.

#35 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:47 AM

OK, thanks for the photo's - and for making me jealous!   :rolleyes:
I can see the large door hinges, but what is your opinion about the shape (allowing for the fact that Welly are a budget brand) and the detailing?
I keep hoping Welly will do a re-release, any of the 'four eyes' GT versions will do me.
Looking on e-bay the asking price for a model which cost less than €50 back in the day is astonishing.....

Edited by slartibartfast229, 13 August 2020 - 06:55 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:06 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 13 August 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

OK, thanks for the photo's - and for making me jealous!   :rolleyes:
I can see the large door hinges, but what is your opinion about the shape (allowing for the fact that Welly are a budget brand) and the detailing?
I keep hoping Welly will do a re-release, any of the 'four eyes' GT versions will do me.

Honestly, I was extremely surprised at the quality and detail of them. I bought them at KB Toys when they were still around for $15 a piece. If I only knew then, I would've stocked up. I was never expecting a $15 Welly model to look anything like it an AUTOart piece, but I am really impressed with how detailed the engine bay is. Everything opens on it. The rear hatch opens and is decently detailed. The halo headrests were a nice touch. No red piping on the seats, but I didn't complain for a $15 model and for the fact not a single company makes a stock 1986 GT. GMP makes an 85', but no 86'. Honestly considering how well its done and pretending I had no idea why made it, I would totally believe this was a $50-$60 model at least. I do not have a GMP 1985 GT, but comparing the Welly 1986 model to the GMP 85' model, the Welly version looks more accurate. I'm sure the GMP version is definitely much more detailed of course. I had another blue one that I sold a while ago on eBay and got $205 for it. It sold within less than 24 hours. Unfortunately at the time I didn't understand just how rare they were and wish I would've kept it. Here's more shots I have of that model.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by BoostMasterZero, 13 August 2020 - 07:07 AM.

#37 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

So a Welly Mustang GT is a $205 model?
Not for me at that price!
You paid $15 for yours, that must go down as one of the best profit margins anyone can hope for.....

#38 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 13 August 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

You paid $15 for yours, that must go down as one of the best profit margins anyone can hope for.....

Yeah, but that was back in the mid 2000s, maybe 2005-2006 I think. I had no idea they would go up in value so much. You check the completed listings on eBay and see how much the previous ones have sold for.

#39 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostBoostMasterZero, on 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yeah, but that was back in the mid 2000s, maybe 2005-2006 I think. I had no idea they would go up in value so much. You check the completed listings on eBay and see how much the previous ones have sold for.
My comment was not meant as a criticism, I would jump at getting a similar price increase!
10 years ago I sold a Pentium III processor for €50 having rescued it from an abandoned scrap PC.
It was unusual in being what's known as a slot 1 CPU, rare for a PIII it would seem.
Gleefully received I assure you.....

Edited by slartibartfast229, 13 August 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 13 August 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostBoostMasterZero, on 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

My comment was not meant as a criticism, I would jump at getting a similar price increase!
10 years ago I sold a Pentium III processor for €50 having rescued it from an abandoned scrap PC.
It was unusual in being what's known as a slot 1 CPU, rare for a PIII it would seem.
Gleefully received I assure you.....

Oh no, I didn't take it as a criticism at all, I was just inferring the price increase and showing there are other ones that sold for the same price. It's a shame, because it's the car I grew up with as a kid and I would pay a large sum for a quality company to make a 1986 GT with immense detail for around that price. I don't know why they're isn't a stock one out, as GMP makes at least 6-7+ different 85-93 Mustangs. So they are definitely popular.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.