Diecasts and the environment - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Diecasts and the environment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

You can't move these days without being berated for doing something that damages the environment. We're asked to travel less, fly less, buy less, recycle, upcycle rather than renew, eat less meat, banish one use plastics, carriers bags and so on. The big picture stuff is of course all very laudable, but let's filter all those concerns down to one thing; diecasts.

Purely for the sake of discussion - as I'm neither an environmental nor diecast expert - I wonder how many diecasts are made annually, given that everything may come under environmental scrutiny either legally or morally at some point; what do you think is the environmental damage done by the diecast industry? We've got raw materials, chemicals, energy used for production, plus all the shipping and transport needed to get your diecast to your door. You could argue the same is true of, say, shoes. But most folks find shoes more useful than diecasts ;-)

Maybe the industry will never be put under the environmental spotlight... but it if was, could it justify itself as environmentally friendly? Should it need to? Should it do more? Or should we just chill a bit and say while we should all take steps to protect the environment, we're also here to live and enjoy things, and that means we can't pass through life without doing a bit of damage.

What's your take on this? (you can focus on just diecast, or expand the discussion more broadly - it'll make for an interesting debate)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostScuddy, on 25 January 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

what do you think is the environmental damage done by the diecast industry?

I think the toy industry as a whole contributes to the demise of our environment just as much as any other industry.

So I'd say that the damage done by production of diecasts alone is marginal.

What's your take on this? (you can focus on just diecast, or expand the discussion more broadly - it'll make for an interesting debate)

The accelerated rate of environmental degradation is due to only one thing: overpopulation.

This is what "Saint Greta" and other power-seeking demagogues don't want to talk about, because scolding governments and industries brings them followers, as opposed to educating people about the dangers of keeping on procreating until the planet cannot take it anymore.

#3 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4459 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

I suspect the metal diecasts are degradable, I doubt that resin is.
Mind you, considering the value that some items are worth - I doubt that many will be thrown out.
When the Egyptian Pharaonic era ended and the cities abandoned, few would have given any thought to preserving the buildings.
I think we have a greater appreciation of the past these days, and sadly the internal combustion engine as we know it will join the list of 'past treasures'.  :twocents:

#4 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

View Postcwbs, on 25 January 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

what do you think is the environmental damage done by the diecast industry?

I think the toy industry as a whole contributes to the demise of our environment just as much as any other industry.

So I'd say that the damage done by production of diecasts alone is marginal.

The accelerated rate of environmental degradation is due to only one thing: overpopulation.

This is what "Saint Greta" and other power-seeking demagogues don't want to talk about, because scolding governments and industries brings them followers, as opposed to educating people about the dangers of keeping on procreating until the planet cannot take it anymore.

I agree. The elephant in the room is over population; but that always gets skirted around.

#5 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2349 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Is Greta still a thing? She had a 5mins of fame I don't quite agree with her approach when she addressed the world leader but hey she got all the attentions when she scolded the world leaders. I won't want to be one of those lemming activists fighting for whatever cause of the day but I do think that we should try to conserve and reduce wastage whenever we can.

I personally don't think collectible diecast and resins like what we collect would have much effect on the environment in the grand scheme of things. And it is a lot of less likely that these collectibles will get chucked into bins once the owner is tired of them. They will likely to be passed down to the next collector and continued to be treasured so wastage is definitely be minimised. However some other segment of the toy market do contribute to the potential environment impact especially those buy and throw away plastic toys that are so prevalent nowadays. Every other week some makers come up with these fad toys that attract kids like Shopkins, LOL etc and those toys dont last very long in the hand of attention deficit kids today. They get played for several days and then get thrown away once a new line comes up. They have no collectiblity value and often get thrown out and end up in landfill.

#6 OFFLINE   Yeow Yi Fan

Yeow Yi Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 293 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 27 January 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

Is Greta still a thing? She had a 5mins of fame I don't quite agree with her approach when she addressed the world leader but hey she got all the attentions when she scolded the world leaders. I won't want to be one of those lemming activists fighting for whatever cause of the day but I do think that we should try to conserve and reduce wastage whenever we can.

I personally don't think collectible diecast and resins like what we collect would have much effect on the environment in the grand scheme of things. And it is a lot of less likely that these collectibles will get chucked into bins once the owner is tired of them. They will likely to be passed down to the next collector and continued to be treasured so wastage is definitely be minimised. However some other segment of the toy market do contribute to the potential environment impact especially those buy and throw away plastic toys that are so prevalent nowadays. Every other week some makers come up with these fad toys that attract kids like Shopkins, LOL etc and those toys dont last very long in the hand of attention deficit kids today. They get played for several days and then get thrown away once a new line comes up. They have no collectiblity value and often get thrown out and end up in landfill.

I second your thoughts.

The key is moderation and I also agree with a previous opinion that overpopulation is the root cause of all.

For this very reason, I would prefer to buy a used vehicle, saving the planet and my wallet is a win-win.

#7 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2349 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

Totally agreed the key is moderation. I too don't believe in the philosophy of throw away single use consumerism culture we live in now. Why throw away a perfectly good serviceable TV and buy a new one just because it doesnt have the latest Smart built in or 8k (or whatever K they can conjure up with) or the 3 eyes Iphone just because the older one can't scan your face.

I try to live frugally nowadays and tend to only buy desired but unnecessary items once they have hit the near bottom of depreciation curve. My philosophy applies to car as well thats why i am still driving a 16 years old car LOL. Might be getting a bit too old and just had all gaskets replaced recently, oil filter housing, oil cooler housing and transmission gasket. And with fresh transmission oil hopefully that will keep the car going for the next 5 or so years.

#8 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:01 AM

Is Greta still a thing?

I don't think she ever was, but oh lordy Lord, you wouldn't believe all the media coverage she's got last week at Davos.

Here in Europe her face is often captioned with the "young, powerful and independent female" claptrap line, and God forbid anyone disputing that.

And it is a lot of less likely that these collectibles will get chucked into bins once the owner is tired of them. They will likely to be passed down to the next collector and continued to be treasured so wastage is definitely be minimised.

I agree, model cars are expensive and no one in their right mind would throw them off. Well, maybe a wife/partner in a fit of rage. :giggle:

Edited by cwbs, 29 January 2020 - 05:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.