1/18 2020 Toyota Rav4 Dealer Edition...by Sum's Models for Toyota - DX Trucks | SUV | Haulers - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 2020 Toyota Rav4 Dealer Edition...by Sum's Models for Toyota

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11254 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

How lucky am I? Bad luck turned to good fortune, as I just received this 1/18th scale Toyota Rav4 that wasn't supposed to be released until after Chinese Lunar New Year in February. Due to receiving my Red Eclipse Cross with a rear wheel graphical paint error, I was sent another model to make up for it.
Sum's Models (maker of Almost Real Models) is on a roll with the Toyota OEMs and they seem to work really well together. With the amount of new models that FAW-Toyota keeps releasing every other month almost, Sum's Models is not short of work. So, that means more Toyota models for me!
Last Friday, I was happy to get a delivery in under 4 days from China of a model that was supposed to be released after the Chinese Lunar New Year was over! Immediately I started taking photos that very night.

The new Rav4 looks a lot more "rugged" now. Finally to me, it looks good this go around. The two previous models looked okay, but also too much like grocery gathers IMO..however, they sold well like all Rav4s do. Such a huge evolution of the Rav4 over the generations of decades from the really neat chic 90s 3-Door first generation to this more angular and brutal lunar grey 2020 5-Door. I really like it, however the 2020 CDM FAW-Toyota China Rav4 retains the 2019 facia, meanwhile N.America and I think Europe as well gets an even more aggressive new lower facia and larger front grill for the 2020 MY. Coincidentally, I went with "Lunar Rock" gray-blue with pearl silver-white roof two-toned color scheme (which was the color that I liked most on the 1/1 design) over white.

One of the first things that really stands out about this model is the weight, it's very heavy. I like that it has a diecast metal chassis versus plastic. Also, this model is loaded with many functional features, such as sliding front seats, folding rear seats, hidden full size spare tire and jack plus other "knickknacks" that are also on the 1/1 and stored under the liftoff carpeted rear storage board. Also, the rear package shelf swings up as well and lowers to hide valuables away from prying eyes. Another really nice feature is the sliding smoke tinted panoramic roof (Which fits perfectly flush when closed). Also, the fuel filler cover/flap can be opened to access the inner cap. Of course, this model has full working suspension and decent deep engine plate based representation. Both upper and lower front grills are perforated and this model dons true photo-etched badging. Thank goodness that FAW-Toyota decided to used the two-toned 5-spoke wheels as it adds to the "ruggedness" of this generation Rav4. Even the roof aerial fin is done nicely here. It all works really well together IMO. However, I think that details like the head lights and lower rear reflectors could have been done a lot better detail wise. For example the headlights are just all chrome(no black housing to break up the mass like the 1/1 or amber side blinkers/turn indicators have like the N.American spec versions). The good news is, that I expect if my friend Stefanus gets one, that he'll revise the front lights most likely (I just didn't have the time..perhaps in near the future). Now, I might have to go and do that this upcoming weekend or some other time soon. For now, I'm just going ahead and posting this one here as is, stock.

So, this Rav4 is another really good effort/collaboration with Sum's Models and FAW-Toyota. The details are typical of my recent FAW-Toyota release dealer editions, which are general good. The paint is flawless and the build quality is good. I was a bit disappointed that it came with an all black interior, I thought that the interior would be two-toned. However since it's Lunar-Rock exterior contrasts the interior just enough for visual break up. That said, my only complaints are that the lighting detail could be better, as well as the inner fuel tank opening could have been painted black to reflect the 1/1. Those are my only main critique points, other than the chrome blob headlights on all of the recent FAW-Toyota Dealer Edition models(Including the new Avalon). With that being said, I'm still good with mine overall for now.

Overall, I'm glad to have this model. I kept asking my dealer for nearly over a year if a new 1/18th Rav4 was coming, and so it did and finally I now have it! :yahoo: I think that this model fits in well with the slew of Crossover/SUVs that I currently have, like the Nissan Rogue(X-Trail), Eclipse Cross, Honda CR-V VW Tiguan, Renault Kadjar, Peugeot 5008, Citroen C5 Aircross, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX-5, Mazda CX-4, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Compass and a lot more..I am drowning in SUVs. Would be nice if people started buying more coupes and sedans again for everyday cars. It seems like Compact-SUVs and Mid-Size SUVs have taken the place of the traditional station wagon/minivan/sedan for family haulers(You can see how SUVs/Crossovers are killing off all other types of vehicles).  :rolleyes: As a collector, it's just insane how my models ratio are transitioning more and more to SUVs in the last two to three years. What a true sign of the times reflected here in my collection.

I recommend this one for those Toyota model fans or Japanese model car collectors seeking something really fresh or SUV fans (this one finally looks more like a smaller FourRunner) and new model wise, it's worth an add. Cheers! :occasion14:

Begin...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opened Up!....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1656 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

What a great time for us 'daily driver' 1:18 collectors. When I started collecting 1:18 diecast in 6th grade (that's 30 years ago), the only cars available to buy were the exotics (F40, Testarossa, Countach, XJ220, etc) and I always wanted to add a 'normal' 1:18 to my collection. Fast forward 15 years from that, there were limited 'daily driver' cars available from UT and AutoArt (BMW E46, Lexus IS/GS, etc) and I was beyond excited. Leap another 15 years to nowadays and the 1:18 market is flooded with these daily driver cars, thanks largely to the Chinese Dealer releases like this RAV4.

I agree with your comment on the paint job, it looks amazing. Minimal orange peel, looks like the paint is still wet. I would also add here that the panel gaps and body alignments actually looks better than, say, Paudi's Cherokee KL.

I was on the fence of buying the RAV4 diecast but thought if I buy one it will be the white one. Now looking at these pictures, the grey is definitely a winner.
As of the headlights, yes they are a bit too bland and some details can be easily added I think, provided the lens can be easily disassembled.

Thanks for sharing the pics and review Dave :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2230 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:29 AM

Cant say the colour scheme looks enticing but man those details definitely put other premium high end model makers to shame. Folding seats and mirrors are true novelty among the premium models we are familiar with but these are standard features on every single chinese dealer models!

You are absolutely right about most people buying SUVs (compact, midsize and so on) and roads are flooded with them. Bit bad news for people like me who are sitting lower in a traditional saloon car where my sights are constantly blocked by these taller vehicles LOL.

#4 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3767 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

When I see such cool models I feel guilty for neglecting my real car, lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#5 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11254 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:21 AM

View Posttanayast, on 27 January 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

What a great time for us 'daily driver' 1:18 collectors. When I started collecting 1:18 diecast in 6th grade (that's 30 years ago), the only cars available to buy were the exotics (F40, Testarossa, Countach, XJ220, etc) and I always wanted to add a 'normal' 1:18 to my collection. Fast forward 15 years from that, there were limited 'daily driver' cars available from UT and AutoArt (BMW E46, Lexus IS/GS, etc) and I was beyond excited. Leap another 15 years to nowadays and the 1:18 market is flooded with these daily driver cars, thanks largely to the Chinese Dealer releases like this RAV4.

I agree with your comment on the paint job, it looks amazing. Minimal orange peel, looks like the paint is still wet. I would also add here that the panel gaps and body alignments actually looks better than, say, Paudi's Cherokee KL.

I was on the fence of buying the RAV4 diecast but thought if I buy one it will be the white one. Now looking at these pictures, the grey is definitely a winner.
As of the headlights, yes they are a bit too bland and some details can be easily added I think, provided the lens can be easily disassembled.

Thanks for sharing the pics and review Dave :occasion14:
Hey Stefanus!!! Thanks, it's my pleasure to share this type of subject matter with all of my pals here on DX :yahoo:
Man, you know that I share a similar story, in wanting"Everyday" cars in my collection too..LOL I think that the first time that I meet you, I Gary, Norm and Mike had driven out to Replicarz to look for said models..but Ultimately my friend Tom back at Great Lakes had way more of the stuff that we were interested it. Also, with me briefly working for him after coming back from Germany he would let me do some of the orders for cars. I remember trying to make sure that at that time to get in as many AUTOart sedans Minichamp BMWs etc.. as they were always my UT HQ, other than that one overpriced store in Windsor Canada shopping mall that had the type of models that collectors like us were looking for. Did you ever go there? Was it called "Autobahn or Autobarn"? I forget, but also, I and a group of other friends would drive up to Toronto to Pacific Mall for those and some Chinese Models and good DimSum. It was the perfect time for getting into diecasts as UTs  were around $21 bucks at Toms and AAs were at around $39 to 45 bucks, plus they made neater stuff like the Wagoneers and Grand Cherokee. I'm glad to know that Tom's is still around.

Again, my pleasure in sharing this review and my picks with you and my other friends here on DX. Also THANK YOU for connecting me with the dealer whom has also become someone to count on in buying these models :eusa_clap:  Take care and CHEERS! :occasion14:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11254 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 28 January 2020 - 10:29 AM, said:

Cant say the colour scheme looks enticing but man those details definitely put other premium high end model makers to shame. Folding seats and mirrors are true novelty among the premium models we are familiar with but these are standard features on every single chinese dealer models!

You are absolutely right about most people buying SUVs (compact, midsize and so on) and roads are flooded with them. Bit bad news for people like me who are sitting lower in a traditional saloon car where my sights are constantly blocked by these taller vehicles LOL.
Thanks Jazzy! This color grew on me, usually seeing it on German sports cars I got used to it and started liking it, but also I like the blue for the Rav4 as well, as it's a similar shade to Toyota's FJ Cruiser. However, this model only comes in "Lunar Rock" (Gray) or White.  White is interesting too, because it has body colored side mirrors.

As for as details, you can't beat these Chinese dealer edition models. They are literally funded by the OEMs to help boost 1/1 sales. Now, it makes me wonder why can't N.American, European and S.Korean companies also take up the habit of paying their Chinese counterparts some investment cash to make dealer promo variations for markets outside of China? It just seems like a bunch of thoughtlessness and inefficiencies or just plan carelessness at play. I guess the same dinosaur way of thinking, which have lead a good deal of these companies to financial ruin, often needing bailouts and such. Anyway, I was getting off track, but you know what I mean? We too could have models like these sold at Dealerships or stores even, if more thought was put in behind it. The only draw back is, that a lot of people in N.America see these models as "Toys" and always want a deal, so probably everything that I just wrote is irrelevant,,LOL!

LOL I hate sitting behind SUVs in my car, but we also bought an SUV  two weeks ago, not my choice, I still have my BMW 6er for now, but I want a two door Japanese car again..so we'll see how that goes. CHEERS! :occasion14:

#7 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11254 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:03 AM

View PostT1000, on 28 January 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

When I see such cool models I feel guilty for neglecting my real car, lol.
LOL Mine is parked in the garage collecting dust, we never really drive it that often. Mostly the SUV now,s o I'm probably just as guilty as you with regards of neglecting my real car..but models, I'm too up to date on most...LOL :occasion14:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.