Gallardo Performante Spyder - AUTOart with parts from Norev - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Gallardo Performante Spyder - AUTOart with parts from Norev

30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:55 PM

I find it very strange that AUTOart made so many variations of the Lamborghini Gallardo coupe, but never made the spyder. Well, again I will fill the slot and build my own. I have a extensively modified Bburago 1st gen Gallardo Spyder, so this time I will be building a replica of the later model Performante spyder which is basically a open top version of the Superleggera. I am using an AUTOart Gallardo Superleggera that I got off eBay cheap, and a Norev LP560 spyder that I got off eBay for 15 euros as it had no box and some glued repairs and missing emblems. Perfect as a parts car.

Now originally I was just going to buy a perfect condition Norev Gallardo Spyder and modify that, but the more I researched the car, the more I realised that sooo much was different and I couldn't buy all the extra parts I needed from AUTOart spares anyway. Plus the Norev has a sealed front hood and has poor detail compared to the AUTOart model. So the decision was made to use an AUTOart Superleggera and chop off the top. Everything else on the AUTOart model is exactly as the pictured Performante Spyder, wheels, seats, bumpers, diffusers, interior and seats, so hopefully the roof chop is really the only big modification and fitting the spyder engine lid and a repaint. Fingers crossed. Here is the car I am replicating.
Posted Image
And here is the base model, AUTOart Superleggera in grey, got this for $110 used but it is in mint condition.
Posted Image
And here is the Norev 15 euro Spyder that I got off ebay too. I will be staling parts off this model and fit them to the AUTOart model. That's the plan anyway.
Posted Image
The AUTOart model has so much better detail than the Norev, plus it fully opens up, and has all the correct aero, wheels and interior to match the Perfomante Spyder
Posted Image
I think mostly I will be using the rear engine lid, convertible top, engine bay top tray and airbox extensions, and maybe some of the diecast frame of the engine bay. I want to remove the big dogleg hinges too off the engine lid and try to fit AUTOart hinges
Posted Image
AUTOart model disassembled and this took some time, as a lot of parts on this model were glued
Posted Image
Norev model disassembled, in contrast to the AUTOart model, this only took 10 minutes to pull apart. So simple.
Posted Image
Mostly needed the model for these parts, so for 15 euro, not too bad. Plus I will sell off the other parts like whole interior assembly, wheels and some other bits and pieces
Posted Image
Next will be to start cutting away the roof off the AUTOart model to retro fit the Norev engine lid. I will take my time with this as I don't want to cut away too much on the AUTOart body. This will be in the next update. Thanks for looking. Cheers
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3720 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:12 AM

This one is going to be interesting :drool5:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#3 OFFLINE   Upgrades

Upgrades

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 377 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GMP, etc.
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

This is completely in my street. Still on my list to do, can't wait how you gonna attack this one. I'm sure it's gonna look stunning.

#4 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 11656 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

This will be cool. I would totally want one of these.
The Lonesharks Volvo follow on Instagram

#5 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • 26 posts
  • Favorite Brands:lamborghini
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

Another amazing project, your talented !!..I want to mod my white Maisto Gallardo convertibe with some upgrades etched grills some paint on wheels and some other detail work and the same stripes as the one you pictured above but without the Superleggera detail ...Is TK going to do decals for you if so let him know I am in for an order also

#6 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30465 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

Great project!!
Can you use small magnets for the engine cover ? AUTOart did that on some of their Gallardo models.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#7 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:44 AM

Thanks fella's,

UPDATE 13/02/2020

Since it has been raining here for the last week straight and I can't paint my Diablo project, I thought I would make a start on this roof chop. Just compared a lot of the sizes and lengths of all the edges on the Norev rear engine lid and worked out some cut lines on the AUTOart body
Posted Image
I want to try and keep these screw posts so will cut away the top diecast in a second round. I will also under cut the top of the front window frame so I can trim that to the correct size after I get the rear engine lid right
Posted Image
I used the Dremel with a thin cut off wheel to cut off the roof. I went through a few disc's but got the job done
Posted Image
Just sitting the roof on top to have a look at the size comparison of the body lines
Posted Image
More to cut of on the sides to drop the front down
Posted Image
Luckily the diecast screw posts on the inside of the body are joined there too, so I was able to cut away the tops of the body
Posted Image
Everything is just rough cut and will need to be filed and filled to clean them up,
Posted Image
Norev engine lid fits in with a little bit of force at the front, which means I will have to file out the front sections and check again. If it is still tight, I will have to trim the engine cover to make it fit
Posted Image
Even with this rough cutting away of the body, It is going to fit and all the edges seem to line up even at this stage.
Posted Image
Front corners still need to come down a bit, but so far so good
Posted Image
Quick check with a door sitting in place and again, all signs look promising. I will have to add the small door extension piece at the back which blends the door into the engine cover. Pretty happy with the progress this afternoon. More to come. Thanks for looking. Cheers
Posted Image

#8 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3720 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:29 AM

You make it look as easy as making a cardboard model, lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:26 AM

View PostT1000, on 13 February 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

You make it look as easy as making a cardboard model, lol.
Thanks T, although really I just chop into it with the Dremel and hope it goes well. In this case the AUTOart Gallardo and Norev Gallardo are almost identical in size, which is good for 2 seperate companies to make a 1/18 scale model that is true to scale.

#10 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:25 PM

UPDATE 14/02/2020

Today I decided to strip all the paint off the body and parts as it was a bit hard to see where to keep trimming to make the engine lid fit due to the dark grey color of the body. So out with the water based paint stripper and removed all the paint which didn't take much as the AUTOart paint on this model peeled of in minutes.
Posted Image
Now I can see better where the engine lid needs more clearance and where I have more work to do.
Posted Image
Out with the dremel again and I removed alot more diecast from the inside front diecast pillars and trimmed the width to the original body line
Posted Image
Engine lid now fits in place flush with the top edges. Sweet
Posted Image
Next I just sat in the interior tub assembly to see where it finished. You can see the two narrow vertical posts behind the seats, these went either side of the rear window and will foul the engine lid, so I cut these off
Posted Image
The engine lid now sits in place and does not foul the interior tub. So far, so good, just sat the body on the chassis and put the doors and hood in place to get a look. That is alot of progress in a very short time. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

Edited by ROBSMC, 14 February 2020 - 02:43 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30465 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

Good progress there Rob!! I can't for it, it's going to look damn sweet! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Out of Gear

Out of Gear

They look better in real life.

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:pricey hobbies :(
  • Number of Models:~40
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, HPI, Exoto

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

Exciting stuff Rob! I remember there were some differences between the nose shape (Performante is sharper and more pointed) and other potential minor details across the AUTOart Superleggera and AUTOart Supertrofeo Stradale, will you be reconciling some of that with this build as well?

Edited by Out of Gear, 14 February 2020 - 04:36 PM.

Come to my house to see my collection!

#13 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

View PostCraig, on 14 February 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

Good progress there Rob!! I can't for it, it's going to look damn sweet! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Cheers Craig, just chopping the roof off and getting the lid to fit was relatively easy.

View PostOut of Gear, on 14 February 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

Exciting stuff Rob! I remember there were some differences between the nose shape (Performante is sharper and more pointed) and other potential minor details across the AUTOart Superleggera and AUTOart Supertrofeo Stradale, will you be reconciling some of that with this build as well?
Yes, the nose is more pointed and I will be adding that, the other vents and skirt shape and rear diffuser and wing are all the same as the Superleggera, so that will stay as it is. Just the pointed front bumper and the Spyder conversion is all  need to do for this build

#14 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

:omg: Allot of work on this one Rob ...but your making amazing progress your talented , this one does not look easy  ..its going to turn out amazing from what i see  so far, loving the  progress pics !!!

#15 OFFLINE   Upgrades

Upgrades

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 377 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GMP, etc.

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

Amazing job Rob, the bare metal on the last picture already look stunning to me.

G

#16 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1492 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:05 AM

Nice job there Rob, be good to see if you can make the Autoart hinges work on the engine lid.

Base
@basegtr

#17 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:52 AM

UPDATE 18/02/2020

Playing around with some AUTOart Huayra rear engine lid hinges. I think these will work, but it will depend on how well a bond I get glueing them to the diecast. I don't think a superglue will work long term, so maybe I need to try a 2 part epoxy to get them on there solid.
Posted Image
I will have to make some holes either side in the engine assembly to sink the base of the hinges down lower, but you get the idea of how this should end up. The weight of the engine lid will stop it from staying up by itself, so not sure how much of this mod will be worth it.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Next I plan to add some putty to the front nose area to re shape it to the Performante front bumper. So I drilled some small holes hoping the putty grabs better to the diecast
Posted Image
Tamiya quick set putty mixed and applied to the front bumper.
Posted Image
And I had to add some to the rear sections either side as I filed back the metal here too far before I had really checked the fitment of the engine lid. Rule here for next time. Don't work on a custom model late at night when you are tired! Anyway, more to come soon. Cheers
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Rob not sure if you know about this product but this would be the best epoxy type product to use its super strong bonds incredibly well to metal and plastic and drys almost like metal and its sandable super strong
Posted Image

#19 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3720 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

I've used epoxy to fix a broken A-pillar on a model, worked like a charm. So, definitely explore it for your model :agreed:
I'll be back
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   genkov4336

genkov4336

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho,bbr.AUTOart

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

If you have a model gallardo 1:18 STS autoart  you  can use it  for example to make the front bumper shapes.Gallardo  STS is correct comparisons to the regular gallardo version which you  have used for the basic model or you could make a casting and then stick it.

Edited by genkov4336, 18 February 2020 - 01:00 PM.

#21 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

View Postmsousa71, on 18 February 2020 - 09:26 AM, said:

Rob not sure if you know about this product but this would be the best epoxy type product to use its super strong bonds incredibly well to metal and plastic and drys almost like metal and its sandable super strong
Posted Image
Thanks for the tip, I can get that glue here in Australia, so I will get some tomorrow. Cheers

View PostT1000, on 18 February 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

I've used epoxy to fix a broken A-pillar on a model, worked like a charm. So, definitely explore it for your model :agreed:
Cheers, I will.

View Postgenkov4336, on 18 February 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

If you have a model gallardo 1:18 STS autoart  you  can use it  for example to make the front bumper shapes.Gallardo  STS is correct comparisons to the regular gallardo version which you  have used for the basic model or you could make a casting and then stick it.
I have the STS and have used that for the dimensions. Cheers

#22 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:08 AM

UPDATE 22/02/2020

Made some more progress today by starting to shape the putty add on's. I first used a sharp blade to cut some of the bulk away.
Posted Image
I then sanded the putty back to shape in the rear to meet the rear engine lid. Not much putty left but it filled the uneven gaps
Posted Image
I then sanded down the bulk of the putty on the nose extension and then fitted the front hood and marked the center line
Posted Image
I then made a cardboard template of the nose shape of the STS Gallardo and traced the front edge on the putty and will sand it back to that edge
Posted Image
Lots of sanding to get it very close to the shape of the STS bumper
Posted Image
I kept refering back to the STS bumper to get the shape right and am nearly there
Posted Image
A quick coat of grey primer to check what further work needs to be done. Just a light skim of Tamiya filler and it should be done.
Posted Image
Same with the back, just a light skim and this will be done
Posted Image
Now this is the Norev engine plastic bits sitting in the Norev body. I have to transfer alot of this into the AUTOart body
Posted Image
Here is the AUTOart engine in the AUTOart diecast body. Quite different and this is going to take quite a bit of work to make it fit
Posted Image
I started by cutting of the front sides of the AUTOart engine assembly to fit the Spyder top recess box
Posted Image
This is how it sort of fits
Posted Image
I then decided that the AUTOart engine was not going to work, so I cut that out of the AUTOart rear frame as I still want to keep that as it has the wheel well liners and rear locating tabs that will keep it in the right position under the AUTOart body
Posted Image
Quite a bit of trimming of the AUTOart rear tub frame and this is the Norev spyder top box and Norev engine/airbox assembly sitting in place
Posted Image
That new assembly sitting in under the body and fits pretty well
Posted Image
Engine lid fits in place and does not foul it. So far so good
Posted Image
Next is the spyder top box which has to drop down alot more to fit under the engine lid. This is going to require more diecast cut out including more off the top of the screw pin castings. These are only connected to the body at the top, so if I cut much more of these, they will simply fall off. I need to keep these as these are the main assembly points for the whole floor assembly, so I am going to have to get creative
Posted Image
So in the side voids after the interior and engine tub get inserted, I applied a generous amount of Tamiya 2 part putty to join the screw pin castings into the sides of the body. I should now be able to cut away another 2mm of diecast off the top and these and they should stay joined to the body. Fingers crossed. This part of the build is a lot more complicated that first thought when I planned this build. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#23 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3720 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:04 AM

If the screw castings fall off, you can re-attach them with the epoxy. It should glue them to the sides, quite nicely and firmly.

As for the rest. Quite a lot of work, wowza. But now you have an extra AUTOart Lambo engine, too :yahoo:
I'll be back
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   Maarten Mercedes

Maarten Mercedes

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 520 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, BOS, CMC, Norev, Ottomobile

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

What a great job you are doing here. The attention to detail is outstanding!
Maarten
Posted Image
Flickr

#25 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

Alot of ingenuity Rob always looking forward to seeing these updates , the front bumper is looking bang on !!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.