1/18 Engup Lancer Evo IX widebody (Advan) - Miscellaneous 1/18 brands & non 1/18 scale models. - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 Engup Lancer Evo IX widebody (Advan)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2367 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Hotwheels Elite, BBR, APM
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:01 AM

Sharing my latest addition and a mini review of the 1/18 Engup Lancer Evo IX widebody (Advan livery).

To be honest when I first came across this model when it popped up on eBay one day, it was not on my wanted list nor did I even know it was being released, let along not knowing much about 'Engup'.
I did notice the previous release of the Engup Lancer Evo IX wagon and was almost close to buying one, but didn't pull the trigger. In the end, I was happy that I held off, as when I saw this widebody version I knew I had to have one.

The Lancer Evo IX wagon is a rare sight, they were only released for the Japanese market but have since made their way all over the world as imports. So having a model of rare car is something I do enjoy collecting. The additional widebody kit on this particular release (Varis kit I believe) made this even more special. Normally I'm not a huge fan of wide body kits (don't particularly like most of the LB stuff), but I thought this kit looked awesome on the wagon. And the colour combo of the Advan livery with the gold rims sealed the deal.

The model comes in a very light blue outer box and sits on a suede type base.
The model itself is even lighter, hardly any weight to it at all.  

However when I took it out, I immediately liked the way it presented.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The overall details are good - wheels, breaks, rotors, carbon fiber carnards and perforated mesh.
The paint is also quite nice and so are the decals, however the one thing that does detract from the model especially at this price point is the decals have been added on top of the paint and not cleared over. It's also very obvious and makes the model look odd in some places.

Posted Image
Posted Image

You can see here the painted surface meeting the decal surface, going from a rough to a smooth texture at the rear doors.
Due to the amount of decals on this model, it basically looks like on 50% of the surface.
If Engup had just added a layer of clear coat to the model, it would look soo much better, which is a real shame.
Posted Image

The stripped out interior is ok, but it could have been better with a few extra touches.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Overall, I'm happy with the model. The subject matter was most important to me, I think the car itself looks great, especially in this red and black getup.
Engup could have better executed the finished product by adding a few things here and there (clear coat over the decals being the main one), especially for what these sell at ... hopefully they continue to release these unique models and continue to improve their quality.

Mondial-Models.com custom projects:
612 GT | 288 Evoluzione | F40 LM & F355 GT | 288 GTO | F40 GTE

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:14 AM

Interesting model Mark, iconic livery and something different. I like it! Never heard of this brand, what is the quality like?

#3 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:48 AM

Quality wise it's ok - definitely could have been better, especially for the asking price. It's on par with the likes of Otto I would say, but costs a bit more. But overall I would say it's a good effort.
The model present well, and looks quite nice on a display shelf.
Im going to take a stab and say this brand is still new and will improve as they continue to release more models. I think they're on the right path, and I do hope they release more unique variants of JDM cars thats been missing in our collections.

#4 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1989 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:00 AM

Phatboi101, on 08 February 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

Quality wise it's ok - definitely could have been better, especially for the asking price. It's on par with the likes of Otto I would say, but costs a bit more. But overall I would say it's a good effort.
Im going to take a stab and say this brand is still new and will improve as they continue to release more models. I think they're on the right path, and I do hope they release more unique variants of JDM cars thats been missing in our collections.
Good to know, I am kinda relying on these new brands of JDM models to make Nissan Z cars. Really only the 260Z has been made in many variants, I want 300z's, 350z's and 370z's all in tuned variants, hell, there are tons of them in Japan to copy, it has been an ignored car by model makers

#5 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8759 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

Really cool car. Would love one for the winter and grocery runs. Would be so cool
I mod stuff

Wes

#6 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2329 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Number of Models:Unknown
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho- Minichamps- Norev, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: gr

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

It seems like a decent model. Yes, a layer of clear coat over the decals would give a much better result. But its a different model and looks fine. I like the rear strut bar and the interior gauges. The side mirrors look a bit bigger scale i think...
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

Cheers guys. The model definitely scores high for the 'cool' factor. It's quite eye appealing.
I've recently gotten the bug for JDM cars again, and focusing more on unique cars so this fit the bill nicely.
Thanks for looking.

#8 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

ROBSMC, on 08 February 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

Phatboi101, on 08 February 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

Good to know, I am kinda relying on these new brands of JDM models to make Nissan Z cars. Really only the 260Z has been made in many variants, I want 300z's, 350z's and 370z's all in tuned variants, hell, there are tons of them in Japan to copy, it has been an ignored car by model makers

I hear ya Rob ... that's why I like to give these new brands a chance and sometimes take a risk purchasing these models without knowing exactly what the quality is like.
And if I like what I see I do try and share the models with other collectors.
Sometimes I dont understand why the more mainstream brands don't release important and previously unmade models into the market ...

#9 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30465 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Cool model, I've not seen this one before.

Engup have only made a few models, recently they made some Mini Cooper GP models, but no one seems to stock them, only one place on eBay. I don't think they are licensed.

I like the Lancer model, but agree that clear coat over the decals would make them look nicer. They look a bit strange how they are.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#10 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 11656 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:57 AM

I was looking at one of these on ebay, but different livery. They are wild looking, and it is a fun car to have on display. But, they are a ton of money. And not sure if it is for me. Looks awesome though.
The Lonesharks Volvo follow on Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.