Longevity of resin/plastic models - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Longevity of resin/plastic models

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:23 AM

Just opening a new thread on a topic that was started elsewhere.

The discussion was around whether plastic and resin models change shape over time, more specifically do they start to shrink over the years?

TK-Diecast, on 11 February 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

yup, plastics and resins can change shape over time, best example are very old resin models from the late 90's/ early 2000's. one of the very early KPGC110's i had, all windows fell out. couldn't be bothered to fix it so i put in a box, 3 years later thought hey its time to fix it up again. LOL no, the windows were sticking out on either side by a good 1-2mm.
Some of the early R34's (or the HPI stuff before the brand change) are showing similar problems from what ive heard/seen

I've heard this before, mainly from guys who have been modding models for many years.
This is worrying, as resin models are becoming more and more mainstream in the hobby, and not to mention AUTOart is now practically all plastic.

Around 80% of my current collection is comprised of resin models ... and I'd be more than upset if they start to alter in size over time to the point where parts start falling off or become noticeably a different shape.

Interested to get some thoughts on this issue of those who have experienced it.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30976 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:17 AM

I've had warped windows in the past, especially on early models where they are super thin. I think temperature change has a lot to do with it. Extreme heat and coldness can really mess them up.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:36 AM

I think what Lars (TK-Diecast) was saying was that when he tried to fix his windows that had fallen out, he noticed the actual model itself had changed dimensions (shrunk), not just the windows.

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 30976 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

I've not had that.

F**k you Photobucket.

#5 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. From the type of plastic and/or resin, thickness, amount/type of glue, temperatures, sun light, way of storage/display and so on. I don't have resin models, but I have a few plastic cars and several plastic planes. So far none have had deformations, but the colors have faded a bit, mostly on the white ones.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#6 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4453 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:33 AM

I have a HPI Alfa Romeo 155 DTM, bought around ten years ago and I see no issues with it.
I didn't know it was resin until it was mentioned here!
I also have a very small number of unbuilt 1/43rd scale resin model kits bought in the 80's, and looking at the pre-cut 'windows' they still fit as originally intended.
I don't know whether the scale difference is a factor or not, and a quick look at my Otto resin Ford RS200 rally model (the first resin item I bought knowing what it was manufactured from) I don't see any issues - as yet.
I feel it should be pointed out that older diecast metal models are not without issues of deterioration.
Almost all of my stuff is located in a room which has a fairly stable temperature range, it's almost always fairly cool.
However, empty boxes are not usually stored in such a pleasant environment!

#7 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1555 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

Would you not get paint cracking as well with a shrinking/deforming body?

Base
@basegtr

#8 ONLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1653 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

Resin has been used for 1/43 for many years, long before it was widely used for 1/18s.  None of mine from the early 2000s are showing any signs of issues.

As for plastic, the type that AUTOart use is the same as they use for Lego.  It's also the same type of plastic that's used for lots of components on otherwise metal models, including large parts like bumpers and wings.  Have any of the plastic parts on anyone's diecast models gone out of shape for no reason?

Besides which, plenty of metal models succumbed to paint rash/zinc pest in the past.  No reason to worry about resin/"composite" models in particular.

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#9 OFFLINE   Sanchez

Sanchez

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1742 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, CMC, Exoto
  • Proud Citizen of: kz

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:44 PM

slartibartfast229, on 12 February 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

I have a HPI Alfa Romeo 155 DTM, bought around ten years ago and I see no issues with it.
I also have a very small number of unbuilt 1/43rd scale resin model kits bought in the 80's, and looking at the pre-cut 'windows' they still fit as originally intended.
I don't know whether the scale difference is a factor or not, and a quick look at my Otto resin Ford RS200 rally model (the first resin item I bought knowing what it was manufactured from) I don't see any issues - as yet.
I feel it should be pointed out that older diecast metal models are not without issues of deterioration.
Almost all of my stuff is located in a room which has a fairly stable temperature range, it's almost always fairly cool.

HPI Alfa Romeo 155 DTM is a metal casting, just like AutoArt Super GT or Citroen rally models for example

#10 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4453 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

Sanchez, on 12 February 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

HPI Alfa Romeo 155 DTM is a metal casting, just like AutoArt Super GT or Citroen rally models for example
OK - thanks for that.
I really need to remove mine from the packaging (which I have not yet done) and have a good look at it!   :rock:

#11 OFFLINE   AOS

AOS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Why is this mandatory?
  • Favorite Brands:PIGs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

I don't know about how long it has to be but almost all my Ignition models have had their windows pop and warp. My 2015 and 2016 purchases are popping out somewhere. The R33s, Supra and RX-3, being later models, are doing okay for meow.

I think my Spark Aston Vantage GTE has warped very slightly, though thankfully not too noticeable.

#12 OFFLINE   Venom

Venom

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3087 posts
  • Interests:Scale models, videogames, 3d modeling, aviation, anime, R/C models
  • Number of Models:299
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Spark, Ignition Models, HPI, GT Spirit, CMC, GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

I have a Spark 1/18 Peugeot 905 from 2008 that doesn't have any signs of distortion from either the windows or the resin casting itself. Also have similar aged Spark 1/43's with no flaws like that either. I also have a BBR 1/43 Ferrari 288 GTO that probably pre-dates those, as it has really old packaging (possibly 1990's or early 2000's) that has no age related flaws with the resin.
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   AOS

AOS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Why is this mandatory?
  • Favorite Brands:PIGs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

Venom, on 12 February 2020 - 07:33 PM, said:

I have a Spark 1/18 Peugeot 905 from 2008 that doesn't have any signs of distortion from either the windows or the resin casting itself. Also have similar aged Spark 1/43's with no flaws like that either. I also have a BBR 1/43 Ferrari 288 GTO that probably pre-dates those, as it has really old packaging (possibly 1990's or early 2000's) that has no age related flaws with the resin.

Must be nice.... wherever the weather is where you are :lol:

A guy once asked me why I'm exiting this hobby, and I didn't have the heart to tell him this exact reason.

#14 OFFLINE   Venom

Venom

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3087 posts
  • Interests:Scale models, videogames, 3d modeling, aviation, anime, R/C models
  • Number of Models:299
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Spark, Ignition Models, HPI, GT Spirit, CMC, GMP

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

AOS, on 12 February 2020 - 08:00 PM, said:

Venom, on 12 February 2020 - 07:33 PM, said:

Must be nice.... wherever the weather is where you are :lol:

A guy once asked me why I'm exiting this hobby, and I didn't have the heart to tell him this exact reason.

Well I had bought that Peugeot back when I lived in northern California, where we didn't have air conditioning and the temp was mostly 65-70F in the day and low 50's at night. Humidity varied from very humid on cool days and in the morning, to very low humidity for the 3 or so weeks of actually hot weather, which would get temps in the high 80's or so. After that, just hot and muggy southern US temps but with air conditioning set to roughly 70F at all times. My models pretty much stayed in AC ever since then, not counting the times exposed for outside photo shoots or for transportation during moves. They also stay away from sunlight barring those outside photo shoots.

Also never had any issues with diecast models that had paint rash getting worse, at least not as far as I could tell. Also haven't had issues with plastic model kits and such with age as well. Only issue I have had that I can remember off the top of my head is with my AUTOart Mazda 787B, the livery on the rear wing has very small cracks in it, that are only visible up close. I imagine that is more due to the layers of paint reacting with each other than the plastic itself doing anything.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   blieu118

blieu118

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4575 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:40 AM

BaseGTR, on 12 February 2020 - 10:05 AM, said:

Would you not get paint cracking as well with a shrinking/deforming body?

Thats a good point. It makes sense when the body shrunk the paint would get affected too.

#16 OFFLINE   KaeferModelle

KaeferModelle

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 637 posts
  • Favorite Brands:...
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:11 AM

I have had various Resin beetles from MiniStyle in 1:43 for several years. Fortunately, they are unchanged.

It looks different with the "Wolfburger Bähnle" from Autocult in 1:43. Since I bought it, it has been stored in its attached display case. Less than a year later, a user of my Käfer-Modelle-Forum wrote that he had noticed damage to his Bähnle.

I then looked at my Bähnle and found the following damage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:gaah:

I also noticed that the window frames on some 1:18 models sometimes come loose.

I noticed that in Minichamps concept cars and in the Ottomobile Öttinger Beetle.

If I can avoid it, I will keep my hands off the Resine models.

:occasion14:

#17 OFFLINE   KaeferModelle

KaeferModelle

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:30 AM

A Bulgarian VW Beetle from the 1950s arrived yesterday. It is made of plastic and is unchanged. :yahoo:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a lot of very old plastic bugs. So far I have not found any damage to them.

:occasion14:

#18 OFFLINE   EmilA

EmilA

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Model
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:55 AM

I really hope they don't as most of my collection is resin and not diecast. I did have a headlight cover fall off my Mines R34 GTR, the model is about 4 or 5 years old and I glued it back on.

Craig's comment on temperature does make me think it may be more to do with the environment they are in than anything, as it can influence the outcome

#19 OFFLINE   TK-Diecast

TK-Diecast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1242 posts
  • Favorite Brands:autoart

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:05 AM

environment can defiantly influence it. What everyone needs to keep in mind is plastic/resin wont last forever. it wont rust away or deteriorate as fast as metals but the day will come when it also falls apart, even if it will take 1000 years :twocents:

Phatboi101, on 12 February 2020 - 04:36 AM, said:

I think what Lars (TK-Diecast) was saying was that when he tried to fix his windows that had fallen out, he noticed the actual model itself had changed dimensions (shrunk), not just the windows.

Correct, I had a second model that was released later on by IG and when I compared the windows were identical but the model itself was just a tad smaller. Sold it off and don't know what happened to the model since

#20 OFFLINE   KaeferModelle

KaeferModelle

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:40 AM

My models are all in the same room with a constant temperature. How can it happen that nothing happens to a resin model and another resin model shows damages - as shown in the photos? :icon_scratch:

I've also read about problems with photo-etched parts that don't stick to resin models properly.

#21 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • 30976 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:12 AM

I was convinced's resin, and thought it was their first 1/18 resin model..on carmodel.com they have the Red cars listed as diecast, but the Orange Jagermeister as resin :dunno:

F**k you Photobucket.

#22 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4453 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

Craig, on 13 February 2020 - 04:12 AM, said:

I was convinced's resin, and thought it was their first 1/18 resin model..on carmodel.com they have the Red cars listed as diecast, but the Orange Jagermeister as resin :dunno:
Mine is definitely diecast metal.
And there is no sign of any of the usual issues connected with metal models.
What is interesting is that the doors look as though they were originally intended to open - a tug on the tops strongly suggests this.
It's almost as though HPI used the AUTOart as a basis for their version, but glued everything closed.
As an aside, I ended up paying more for my HPI than I did for my AUTOart - even though it was discounted.
For a few hours CK offered the #7 and #8 AUTOart as a pair at a very competitive price, which I gabbed the moment I spotted it.   :yahoo:

Edited by slartibartfast229, 13 February 2020 - 07:44 AM.

#23 ONLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1653 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

KaeferModelle, on 13 February 2020 - 03:40 AM, said:

My models are all in the same room with a constant temperature. How can it happen that nothing happens to a resin model and another resin model shows damages - as shown in the photos? :icon_scratch:

I've also read about problems with photo-etched parts that don't stick to resin models properly.

Those photos don't show damage to the resin as far as I can tell, they show damage to some glued-on trim pieces.  Nothing whatsoever to do with the main materials.  Same with the windows coming away on other models that have been discussed.  It's caused by manufacturers making really, really thin parts to use on these models, and likely using too little glue or a glue that is sensitive to temperature.  Photo etch coming off happens to metal models too.

The reason you get it on some models but not others is the same reason that certain old Kyoshos have crumbled into dust or got covered in paint rash, whereas 30 year old Bburagos look the same as the day they were built.  Every manufacturer does things differently, sometimes a single manufacturer will change their materials or production methods from one model to another.

Posted Image

*** Collection thread (to be updated) ***

#24 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2832 posts
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

Exactly, and with so many companies making resin models now (I dont think its possible to fully keep up with all of them) and most of them doing things slightly different from another, who knows what will happen, hehe. Its fairly known that Ignition Model has had a few issues, firstly with windows coming off like many others, but also some crazy reaction between rubber and the paint used on some wheels. I have had that myself and seen pictures of others. But like the Corona virus I dont think its anything to worry about (yet).

#25 OFFLINE   KaeferModelle

KaeferModelle

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

I'm not sure that the Bähnle has not shrunk. When I look at the loose awning tape, it looks as if it is too long to be able to stick it on again without shortening it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.