Removing plastic windows without cracking them - Disassembling - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Removing plastic windows without cracking them

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   M-StyleModelCars

M-StyleModelCars

• DX Community
  • 35 posts
  • Number of Models:50+
  • Favorite Brands:MR Models
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:25 AM

In the past i've ruined a window or 2 when trying to remove them.

Usually they're hold down by a little plastic thing. When trying to slide the windows over the little metal pin attached to the body a piece or the window cracks. Is there a better way to remove them?

In this case it's a Solido, but applies for multiple brands.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4455 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

View PostM-StyleModelCars, on 26 February 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

In the past i've ruined a window or 2 when trying to remove them.

Usually they're hold down by a little plastic thing. When trying to slide the windows over the little metal pin attached to the body a piece or the window cracks. Is there a better way to remove them?

In this case it's a Solido, but applies for multiple brands.
The problem in my experience is that the mounting for holding the glass in place is intended to keep it fixed in place - no matter the handling during shipping.
I have found it necessary to drill the mounting area to remove the 'lip' of metal that does this job.
A piece of clear tape over the area will reduce the possibility of the drill bit slipping.
SunStar 'glass' is very brittle compared to other brands - I have had real problems with their stuff.
'Use power tools with caution!'  :>)

#3 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostM-StyleModelCars, on 26 February 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

Are you talking about "side" door windows? Got any picture of it? That would help us better understand the situation.

#4 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5049 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

I use a grinding burr on my Dremel to clean out the mushroom of metal.  You will melt some of the plastic around the stem, however when I reassemble, a dab of SuperGlue, along with things like the interior, dash, and hood/trunk mounting hardware will keep the windows in place.

#5 ONLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4455 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

View Postibj40, on 26 February 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

I use a grinding burr on my Dremel to clean out the mushroom of metal.  You will melt some of the plastic around the stem, however when I reassemble, a dab of SuperGlue, along with things like the interior, dash, and hood/trunk mounting hardware will keep the windows in place.
That's a much better description for what I was trying to convey!   :hope:

#6 OFFLINE   AOS

AOS

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Why is this mandatory?
  • Favorite Brands:PIGs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but can we also extend this fantastic question to resin models as well? I'm aware they aren't built the same way, but care also has to be taken to remove these without permanently damaging them.

#7 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

Can someone who has does this a few times make a thread showing how this is done? Photos and how to? Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5049 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

View Postpreisman, on 02 March 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Can someone who has does this a few times make a thread showing how this is done? Photos and how to? Thanks.

I've got one apart right now, that I have already removed the greenhouse from, but can take some pictures to go with the description.  Never thought about taking them before, seemed intuitive.

#9 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12133 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

View Postibj40, on 03 March 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

I've got one apart right now, that I have already removed the greenhouse from, but can take some pictures to go with the description.  Never thought about taking them before, seemed intuitive.

I am going to be taking apart a couple of models soon, so any help would be nice. I think more "how to's" would help others get out there and mod models.

#10 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5049 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

View Postpreisman, on 03 March 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I am going to be taking apart a couple of models soon, so any help would be nice. I think more "how to's" would help others get out there and mod models.

I hear you.  I learned the hard way, by trying to "gently" pry them off with a flat screwdriver.  Not sure how many entire models I ruined because I couldn't put a greenhouse with a cracked windshield back into it.

Film at eleven!

#11 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5049 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

View Postibj40, on 03 March 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

View Postpreisman, on 03 March 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I hear you.  I learned the hard way, by trying to "gently" pry them off with a flat screwdriver.  Not sure how many entire models I ruined because I couldn't put a greenhouse with a cracked windshield back into it.

Film at eleven!

Added a tutorial here:  https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/229839-removing-plastic-parts-from-diecast/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.