1/18 BMW X7 (Kyosho) & BMW X5 (Norev) Dealer Editions/Industry Models - DX Trucks | SUV | Haulers - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 BMW X7 (Kyosho) & BMW X5 (Norev) Dealer Editions/Industry Models

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

Since last summer, I have been sitting on one of three BMW X5s that arrived from BMW. The reason that I had three examples was, because all but one which was sent to me were defective. Ultimately in the end, the dealership let me pick from the three at home. So, I ended up taking two of them apart and making one "PERFECT" version. That said, this great looking model just kinda' got put to the side, as I had eventually planned to take all of this SUV's Class segment outside for a diorama photo-shoot. However, I started a new diorama which I hadn't finished yet, so I scrapped that idea, until now.

Anyway after a looong period of time the week before last my New BMW X7 finally showed up, so I decided to shoot it together with my BMW X5 M40i. Initially, I didn't like the BMW X7, then it started growing on me, so I took a liking to the "normal" body trim. At first, I was pleased that BMW had chosen that spec for the model. However, after taking our 1/1 BMW in for service, there was an X7 with an M-Sport package inside the dealership. We had a really long look at that one and I changed my mind. I liked the M-Sport trim better in reality.  So, I wasn't particularly as excited as before when my 1/18th scale X7 finally arrived. At least BMW had it looking just like the official promotional 1/1 press car. However, the paint and details won me over on this model, except for one very critical thing (which I will mention in a few).

​So, who else besides me also thinks that the newer Kyosho industry models are made in the same factories as iScale, Paragon or Norev, please raise your hands? :yahoo: ooohhh, me me me!! I mean, C'mon, it's a nice enough model, but to be very honest my Norev X5's engine bay is just a wee bit weaker than my Kyosho X7. What happened to the old Kyosho? Remember when Kyosho's BMWs had metal brake rotors, full engine detail with more of a quality feel?  It's so obvious that Kyosho outsourced this X7 to another factory other than their original one (unlike how they used Gaincorp in the past). For example, Kyosho have recently released the Lexus LX570 SUV and it's built well like their older models, and with more working features and higher detail, so why not for their BMW X7?  I suppose that Lexus/Toyota wasn't having anything that felt like an iScale/Norev/Paragon in 1/18th scale representing their top SUV.  When I see how models here in Europe keep going down in quality while the DE models in China are like masterpieces but selling for a lot less, I have to wonder if the western auto industry thinks that their western clients are even relevant anymore for original after sales? What else can I conclude? :dunno: ..other than perhaps the western industry having a model built to a specific low budget for the EU market, in order to maximize profits by the automakers here in Europe. Meanwhile, in China the Customers are getting AMAZING OEM industry models that blow AUTOart, BBR out of the water with functional details. It's becoming clear which markets are relevant these days and the West lost ground or interest big time, even on model cars by the Western companies that commission them.

So, the reason that I am starting off a bit negative is, back to that critical issue that I mentioned earlier. I ended up photographing my X7's chassis to see how it differed from the X5's (Since they share the same basic architecture). Low and behold, my BMW X7 is missing it's rear trans-axle and drivetrain :wtff: Ummm, anybody into cars knows that this BIG BEAST of an "SAV" (Sports Activity Vehicle..as BMW calls their SUVs that), is rear wheel drive biased. So missing the part that drives the rear wheels is strange.  :rolleyes: The supporting rear suspension is there, but it's missing the jewels. Now, it's assembled really neat and clean, just missing that gear. Can anyone else here confirm if their rear axle/pumpkin is there or not? Thanks in advance. :nice:

So, I really started falling for the 1/1 X5 with M-Sports package. I do plan on selling my 1/1 6er GC and thought that I would get another proper 2-door coupe, but the more I think about it, the X5 is really vibing with me. Anyway, other than Norev having a defective front tie rod failures on their models, their X5 M40i is a really nice model. I love the pearl white paint and two-toned finished wheels as well as the wonderfully executed contrasting and rich looking interior. It all looks so good together. What a pity that BMW has asked to seal all of their trunks/boots in order to preserve the design integrity fit and finish of the rear lights. I guess that I have to be grateful that the hood/bonnet & doors all open..whew! Also, glad that Norev used P.E. Badging on this one. The only problem I have with it is, that I am terrified to handle it. After all of those broken tie rods, I hold it like a newborn out of fear as I think that it is possible to easily break it. That said, the model has since been re-released a few weeks ago with just improved tie-rods. Overall, it's worth adding to your collection, if possible.

For the X7, other than it feeling more like an iScale/Norev/Paragon (Pick One) than a Kyosho is, that absent rear drivetrain The model is executed to a really flawless level. the paint is amazing, the wheels are done well in multi-colored finish and even the signature optional "BMW Laser Lights" have the correct blue tint. Also, the model features P.E. Badging (Like the X5 by Norev). All four doors and hood/bonnet opens, but the split style rear tailgate doesn't. What's really nice about the 1/1 and this model is, that they come with both a huge panoramic sunroof as well as another sunroof for third row passengers. In 1/18th scale, this really allows you to peer into the individual style two-toned interior from above  to see the two center captain's chairs as well as third row jump seats.  As nice as the interior is, forget raising the hood/bonnet. It's so basic I don't even know why they bothered with making something that should represent the motor underneath. Now, if it's only my example which is missing the rear drivetrain, I would suggest adding this model, if not as I have found out, it's a choice of is it worth anything to you or not?  Nevertheless, if you are an SUV or Luxury SAV fan, it's a good piece...but just not as good as older Kyoshos for what it's gonna' cost you through BMW dealerships or worse, after sales.

Thanks for reading this far. I wrote this without 24hrs worth of sleep..no joke :)

CHEERS! :occasion14:

Begin...

BMW X7 & BMW X5...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW X7...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW X5 M40i...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

CHEERS! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3818 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:†bg

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:55 AM

I was planning to add the exact same pair of BMWs, lol. Ultimately I decided against the X5 as I want to cut down on diecasts for a bit and I didn't really fancy the spec. I am waiting for my X7 to arrive, though. The X7 really does look and feel like a Norev model and I suppose it is, since many stores sell it like a Norev, despite it saying Kyosho on the bottom, lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†id

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:10 AM

Dave, thanks for sharing these pics and the write ups!! :occasion14:
Nice additions! I've been eyeing them for a while now.

But I haven't add the X7 mainly because the size of the grilles kinda scared me :giggle:
They're HUGE! That being said I'm sure it will grow on me. Hopefully you can sort out the missing rear diff on the X7.

As of the X5, I will more than likely get one and shadow line the grilles. Similar to what I did with Norev's G20 330i.

Congrats again on the new adds and truly enjoying seeing these posts! :occasion14:

#4 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1844 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of:†rs

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:01 PM

Thank you for the pics and review. I tend to see quite a bit of X7's and in person they don't look as bad, but it is a huge car and a bit ridiculous for my taste. However, X5 and X3 are totally different story. Booth look good and for both I wouldn't say no :)

#5 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:37 PM

That X5 is really pretty. Looks like the better model too, and in a better color combo, IMO. Not a fan of the X7, though.

#6 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:45 AM

View PostT1000, on 04 March 2020 - 09:55 AM, said:

I was planning to add the exact same pair of BMWs, lol. Ultimately I decided against the X5 as I want to cut down on diecasts for a bit and I didn't really fancy the spec. I am waiting for my X7 to arrive, though. The X7 really does look and feel like a Norev model and I suppose it is, since many stores sell it like a Norev, despite it saying Kyosho on the bottom, lol.
The X5 is actually a really nice model. The pearl white paint looks AMAZING in reality. I like this spec, it really grew on me. Initially I didn't like it either. I am missing the last generation X5. The model wasn't a nice trim spec, but, I might locate one nevertheless.
Well, please let us know when your X7 arrives, and check to see if your transaxle is missing or not? On facebook, after I pointed that out, a few people also showed that their X7s are missing the rear drivetrain too :gaah:
LOL I have a feeling that this X7 is from the Hamburg German iScale based Kyosho team. It feels NOTHING like original old school Japanese controlled Kyoshos development wise.  :rolleyes:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:56 AM

View Posttanayast, on 04 March 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

But I haven't add the X7 mainly because the size of the grilles kinda scared me :giggle:
They're HUGE! That being said I'm sure it will grow on me. Hopefully you can sort out the missing rear diff on the X7.

As of the X5, I will more than likely get one and shadow line the grilles. Similar to what I did with Norev's G20 330i.

Congrats again on the new adds and truly enjoying seeing these posts! :occasion14:
Thanks Stefanus! :nice:  
LOL!! Well, knowing you, you will get over that grille fear and add these two to your stable of cars :yahoo:
As for the missing rear diff, it would have been perfect if BMW had let me keep one of those damaged X5s, because I could have plucked one from there and fixed it easily to the X7's drivetrain :giggle:  Looks like all of them are missing that part. I mean seriously, did these things get built during the exciting ramp up to CNY? ..or was the person(s) that assembled that 1 little part MIA due to the current conditions throughout the world at the moment? :dunno:  Either way, I will be writing my seller and seeing what they can do about it?

Thanks again Stefanus! I'm glad that you like these images. Also looking forward to photos from you adding yours as well! :nice:  CHEERS! :occasion14:

#8 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:21 AM

View Post. . ., on 04 March 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

Thank you for the pics and review. I tend to see quite a bit of X7's and in person they don't look as bad, but it is a huge car and a bit ridiculous for my taste. However, X5 and X3 are totally different story. Booth look good and for both I wouldn't say no :)
My Pleasure! :danke: Yeah, the X7 looks so much better in reality, than in photographs for sure :eusa_clap:  Well, you know back home in the US and now China as well, BIGGER is BETTER and therefore big grilles are winning all over the place for better or worse.
I wonder why we haven't seen any new 1/18th BMW X3s or even X4s yet? I too like the X5  as well! CHEERS! :occasion14:

#9 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:48 AM

View Postpreisman, on 04 March 2020 - 11:37 PM, said:

That X5 is really pretty. Looks like the better model too, and in a better color combo, IMO. Not a fan of the X7, though.
Hey Jonathan, I agree as well. It totally mimmicks the 1/1 introduction edition used here in Europe as the Presentation version of the current X5. :eusa_clap: I'm glad that BMW chose to use the M-Sport on their commercials versus a lower trim level! :occasion14:

#10 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3818 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:07 AM

My X7 is here, also missing a rear diff and it seems it was never planned to have one, lol. There are also no seatbelts for the back seats and the ones for the front are just painted on the pillars. There are also visible big screws on the headliner and between the doors. Overall definitely, not the better model and definitely not a 120EUR model. Happily I paid 79eur, which is a bit closer to fair, although the Norev M5 is/was cheaper and it's even better than this. Definitely not what you would expect from a Kyosho, no matter the price.
I'll be back
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†id

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:27 AM

View PostD N, on 05 March 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

LOL!! Well, knowing you, you will get over that grille fear and add these two to your stable of cars :yahoo:
As for the missing rear diff, it would have been perfect if BMW had let me keep one of those damaged X5s, because I could have plucked one from there and fixed it easily to the X7's drivetrain :giggle:  Looks like all of them are missing that part. I mean seriously, did these things get built during the exciting ramp up to CNY? ..or was the person(s) that assembled that 1 little part MIA due to the current conditions throughout the world at the moment? :dunno:  Either way, I will be writing my seller and seeing what they can do about it?

Thanks again Stefanus! I'm glad that you like these images. Also looking forward to photos from you adding yours as well! :nice:  CHEERS! :occasion14:

Itís VERY strange that the X7s were built without the rear diff..... looks like whoever designed this didnít include this part in the BOM

#12 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

View Posttanayast, on 05 March 2020 - 06:27 AM, said:

View PostD N, on 05 March 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

It's VERY strange that the X7s were built without the rear diff..... looks like whoever designed this didn't include this part in the BOM
I wondered about that too! Now that I have pointed that out to BMW, perhaps a head will roll? :gaah:

#13 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

View PostD N, on 05 March 2020 - 01:21 AM, said:

My Pleasure! :danke: Yeah, the X7 looks so much better in reality, than in photographs for sure :eusa_clap:  Well, you know back home in the US and now China as well, BIGGER is BETTER and therefore big grilles are winning all over the place for better or worse.
I wonder why we haven't seen any new 1/18th BMW X3s or even X4s yet? I too like the X5  as well! CHEERS! :occasion14:

Might be because those models are not being sold so well. Also, X6's are selling quite slow comparing to X5's. While Kyosho X5 were sold long time ago and start increasing in prices, X6 was still around. . .
So far I know I'm not getting X7, but X5, yes. I'd like to put my hands on it, and on Z4, and new Series 3. But I'm not so much excited about any of them nor in rush to get them. They are missing the fine work of AUTOart or Kyosho from 10 years ago (minus zincpest and paint rush). I got 8th series, and I have no feelings to it. . . I am much more found of my red Mercedes Maybach Convertible by Norev.

#14 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

View Post. . ., on 06 March 2020 - 12:05 PM, said:

Might be because those models are not being sold so well. Also, X6's are selling quite slow comparing to X5's. While Kyosho X5 were sold long time ago and start increasing in prices, X6 was still around. . .
So far I know I'm not getting X7, but X5, yes. I'd like to put my hands on it, and on Z4, and new Series 3. But I'm not so much excited about any of them nor in rush to get them. They are missing the fine work of AUTOart or Kyosho from 10 years ago (minus zincpest and paint rush). I got 8th series, and I have no feelings to it. . . I am much more found of my red Mercedes Maybach Convertible by Norev.
Good Point. No feelings, the newer models aren't magical like the older ones. It sucks that they are using a lower end model maker to produce those models.  
Basically, they aren't charming. I have the other two Norev BMW models for almost a year now, but still haven't pulled them out for a proper shoot yet. go figure, right? :occasion14:

#15 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3818 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:42 PM

The X7 definitely gives the vibe that something happened behind the scenes and it resulted the model not being as good as it should have been and as it was expected to be.

With that said, if you can find it with a decent discount, it's definitely a nice add to the collection. It's very eye-grabbing and looks quite imposing even among big lads.
Attached File  x77.jpg   146.41K   0 downloads

And yes, the Magnum is THAT massive :drool5:
I'll be back
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 12:19 AM

View PostD N, on 06 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

Good Point. No feelings, the newer models aren't magical like the older ones. It sucks that they are using a lower end model maker to produce those models.  
Basically, they aren't charming. I have the other two Norev BMW models for almost a year now, but still haven't pulled them out for a proper shoot yet. go figure, right? :occasion14:
I think problem lies with in the price tag. Auto art probably wants to make expensive models, BMW doesn't want it because then they get stuck with all unsold models and have to discount them heavily. So, Norev came handy. Does it for a 100 and everyone is happy.
But truth to be said. . . Except X3, X5, 5 series, M4, and M2 (just because it is M2), I really doubt I'd buy any BMW model in 1:1 even if I could. All those cars are missing something big. No charm, they look too plastic, and rear lights look awful. Like the worst aftermarket. . .

#17 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 03:36 AM

View PostT1000, on 06 March 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

The X7 definitely gives the vibe that something happened behind the scenes and it resulted the model not being as good as it should have been and as it was expected to be.

With that said, if you can find it with a decent discount, it's definitely a nice add to the collection. It's very eye-grabbing and looks quite imposing even among big lads.
Attachment x77.jpg

And yes, the Magnum is THAT massive :drool5:
That is truly a MASSIVE Magnum.. :omg: For me, the cabin on the X7 compared to my X5 looks narrowed or "pinched" :dunno: ..but it also looks like that in reality as well. :nice: Congrats on receiving your X7!!! :yahoo:  CHEERS! :occasion14:

#18 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3818 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 03:43 AM

To me the side of the X7 looks a lot like the Merc GL, although when my mom saw the model the other day she said it looks like a Rolls-Royce. So I guess BMW have achieved their goal about having the X7 be big and posh.

It does look like a narrorer X5 because it's taller, but not much wider. To me it's everything a "typical" BMW shouldn't be, yet, I like it somehow :dunno:
I'll be back
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:09 AM

View Post. . ., on 07 March 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

View PostD N, on 06 March 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

I think problem lies with in the price tag. Auto art probably wants to make expensive models, BMW doesn't want it because then they get stuck with all unsold models and have to discount them heavily. So, Norev came handy. Does it for a 100 and everyone is happy.
But truth to be said. . . Except X3, X5, 5 series, M4, and M2 (just because it is M2), I really doubt I'd buy any BMW model in 1:1 even if I could. All those cars are missing something big. No charm, they look too plastic, and rear lights look awful. Like the worst aftermarket. . .
I am mostly in agreement, BMW has lost A LOT of their soul. Their current crop of cars drive like robots for the most part  :rolleyes:
Also, it's a pity that the model quality is so low at the moment. I'd like if Kyosho would use their old production house from maybe 15 years ago..BUT, maybe they aren't due to all of that paint rash, so if that's the case, I guess that I could deal with the lower quality.. but they could at metal brake rotors just to spice things up a bit :occasion14:

#20 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:16 AM

View PostT1000, on 07 March 2020 - 03:43 AM, said:

To me the side of the X7 looks a lot like the Merc GL, although when my mom saw the model the other day she said it looks like a Rolls-Royce. So I guess BMW have achieved their goal about having the X7 be big and posh.

It does look like a narrorer X5 because it's taller, but not much wider. To me it's everything a "typical" BMW shouldn't be, yet, I like it somehow :dunno:
Hey, your mom has a good eye! It is the same vehicle architecture as the Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV :eusa_clap: :yahoo:
Yes, it grew on me after a little while as well. It didn't feel that large on the inside width wise, but I did have my head space. :occasion14:

#21 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3818 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:30 AM

She does like BMWs quite a lot, lol. Maybe even more than me :giggle:

So far I've only seen X7s on the outside, haven't been in one. It's definitely not the 1:1 car I'd buy ever, but in diecast form it's quite tasty even with an underwhelming model  :rolleyes:
I'll be back
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:08 AM

View PostT1000, on 07 March 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

She does like BMWs quite a lot, lol. Maybe even more than me :giggle:

So far I've only seen X7s on the outside, haven't been in one. It's definitely not the 1:1 car I'd buy ever, but in diecast form it's quite tasty even with an underwhelming model  :rolleyes:
I certainly don't look at BMW the same way as i did 12 years ago  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.