Removing Plastic Parts from Diecast - Disassembling - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Removing Plastic Parts from Diecast

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

This is in response to this thread:  https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/229801-removing-plastic-windows-without-cracking-them/

Here's a picture of the underside of the roof of a typical diecast model, with the greenhouse (in this case, a two piece - frequently they are molded as one unit), held in place with what I will refer to as "mushrooms".  The mushroom, in reality, is a stalk of diecast, molded into the body (or roof in this case), that is then distorted during the assembly process to retain another piece in place.  I have seen mushrooms holding both plastic and diecast parts together.

Posted Image

A closer look at the mushrooms.

Posted Image

Here is another model, similar type, in which I have previously, and successfully, removed the rear of the greenhouse.  You can see that it was held in by three mushrooms, one in the center forward, and two at the rear corners.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used a Dremel tool (I actually have two, so that I don't have to change the bits as often) to accomplish the task.

I start with an 1/8 inch drill bit.

Posted Image

And use it to drill directly down onto the top of the mushroom (and practice has shown me that you need more than a drill bit, and I will get to that).

Our subject for this tutorial will be the removal of a plastic dashboard from a diecast body.  The dash is held in place by two mushrooms.

Posted Image

As I mentioned above, I start with my drill bit, directly into the middle of the mushroom.

Posted Image

Let the drill bit do the work, and don't press too hard.  The plastic can resist some heat, but if you want to reattach it later, you don't want too much distortion.

As you drill, however, you are going to spread the mushroom remnant out slightly.

Posted Image

Next, I will migrate over to a grinding bit.  In this case, one with a point so that I have some control over the area I am grinding.

Posted Image

A word of caution, here, as the diecast metal will build up on the grinding bit, and reduce its efficiency.  Here's an example.

Posted Image

I acquired a grinding stone, specifically designed to recondition abrasive grinding bits.

Posted Image

Run the bit over the stone to clear off the residue, and good as new.

Posted Image

So, I begin grinding on the mushroom remnant, again, letting the tool do the work, and not forcing it or pressing it too hard onto the metal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a very small, flat screwdriver that I use to check on whether my grinding has been successful.  Again, don't force anything!  What I am doing after each grind, is checking to see how loose the piece is.  I want to leave as much plastic as possible for reassembly later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need to grind some more.

Posted Image

You can see that there is very little of the mushroom cap left, and with a little bit of pressure, the pieces separate.

Posted Image

A little bit of buildup on the bit, which I will clean off before starting on the next mushroom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And we are done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For reassembly, I put a dab of SuperGlue around the stalk, and press the plastic piece down and hold until the glue sets (this isn't a final, which is why it appears distorted and loose).

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30948 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:46 AM

Nice guide, I'll pin it :smile:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12109 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the guide. I think there is a good amount of trial and error worked out already that should save everyone a lot of time and headache. Thank.

#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4441 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

You do pretty much what I do - although I only have one Dremel!
With clear parts I usually put a short length of clear sticky tape over the drill area, this cuts down on the potential for the drill to run away.

#5 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 04 March 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

You do pretty much what I do - although I only have one Dremel!
With clear parts I usually put a short length of clear sticky tape over the drill area, this cuts down on the potential for the drill to run away.

That's a great idea!  The bad news is that more than one of mine has an "autograph", the good news, usually hidden upon final assembly.  :nice:

View PostCraig, on 04 March 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Nice guide, I'll pin it :smile:

Thanks, glad to share.

View Postpreisman, on 04 March 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the guide. I think there is a good amount of trial and error worked out already that should save everyone a lot of time and headache. Thank.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.  Gotten really heavy into customs lately, and trying new techniques, and buying more tools.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.