Accessories that won't break the bank - Diorama and Accessory Making - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Accessories that won't break the bank

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 8 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, GMP, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: pl

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:38 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this board and I hope I am posting this in the correct section. I have been reading quite a bit of the posts the amazing people on this forum have been leaving, and got some hints from some of you on where I should look to get some ideas. I have been mulling over certain things and even though I have some thoughts on what I could try to make myself I know that some accessories will just be too difficult and time consuming for me to make.

Since, I am new to this I do not want to spend big bucks to get super accurate high end items. If it turns out, that down the road I'll get more into it, then I won't mind investing more. My question, has anyone purchased some cheaper items which can be used in a repair shop diorama for 1:18 scale cars? Anything from tool boxes, cans, car lifts, figurines, etc? I've been looking around different online shops, including AliExpress (I use quite a bit for other things and mostly am satisfied), but even though often the pictures look promising, in reality some items sometimes turn out to be not the best.

Any help appreciated. :)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1002 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

Although I often drool over photos of dioramas people make and show in here, I'm a bit reluctant to spend the amount of money needed to achieve that.

But if you want to get into it, you have to start buying bits and figures. No need to get everything at once, buy and build it up slowly.

AutoArt has a garage set which often goes around €100 on eBay, but people are paying for the brand rather than quality, as the pieces don't look that good.

lateapex had to do some work on some pieces to make them more pleasing to the eye: https://www.diecastx...2-display-case/

Other than that, you can find the GMP garage sets for a more reasonable price, but they're not as complete and you'll have to source out some items separately.

Last, keep an eye on eBay for extra bits and figures: https://www.ebay.ie/...ge&LH_PrefLoc=3

Good luck! :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for the links and suggestions cwbs. I'm really hoping I can put a diorama together, ...at least a somewhat decent one.  :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

BTW, has anyone purchased this set? https://www.aliexpre....2f5948fdJg2kbD

It doesn't seem so bad, at that price, or am I wrong?

#5 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6401 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

you can get some inexpensive tools from http://tremonia.org/tremonia2.htm

a 1:18 hydraulic lift here https://ck-modelcars...-13549/p-59721/

i have also seen diorama accessories made by GMP. i think AUTOart also made a set with workshop stuff like toolbox, shelves etc. but this didnt look that good.

Edited by Alex SZ1996, 25 March 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • 67 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:14 PM

I'm also planning to build my own diorama, and I'm on the same boat as well. Mine is probably gonna be on a budget though, and that hydraulic lift looks nice! I've seen some people on YouTube with CRAZY diorama shelfs like multi-level parking garages with lights, and some houses made of actual cements and bricks. I feel like that's too much work for me though, so I'm thinking of buying a 3D texture online. Still don't know what to do about the walls though, maybe some wood? lol But I surely hope it will turn out well. It's my first time making something for my models.

#7 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:09 AM

I feel you RDynamic. I guess the most difficult stage is the beginning. I guess once a person gets going, they just keep working and slowly improving on it. At least that is what I am hoping will happen. :)

#8 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • 67 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted Yesterday, 04:53 PM

That is certainly what will happen! :nice:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.