RUF CTR Yellowbird - Spark vs. GT Spirit - DX Model Comparisons - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

RUF CTR Yellowbird - Spark vs. GT Spirit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2422 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:57 AM

The RUF CTR as an iconic sportcar, one that will live on in infamy for many years to come. Dubbed the 'Yellowbird' by the press when it was first showcased against more well known supercars of the 80s, it got this iconic status by beating all of them ... and became the world's fastest car at one point in time. And all of this was accomplished by (at the time) a small German tuning house called RUF Automobile ...

Spark released the first 1/18 CTR a few years back. Before they sold out, I purchased one at retail price and was quite happy with it at the time. After a year or two, I realised it didn't fit my collection and I was in two minds about selling it. When a fellow dX'er mentioned that they really wanted one, I sold it off for someone else to enjoy more than me. The Spark release become rare to find and highly sought after, and for a time the prices kept increasing on the secondary market. Not long ago (and probably to the delight of many collectors), Spark announced they would re-release the CTR again in 1/18. Not long before this, GT Spirit also released their version of the CTR. I bought both these models with the idea of keeping the one I thought was better and selling off the other.

This is not an in depth comparison, but just things I noticed that were different with each model .. and these are only simply things. I didn't go into detail about the overall shape and inaccuracies as I just don't have the time to compare photos of the real car with these models. Instead I'll leave it up to you guys to be the judge.

Straight off the bat, the first thing I noticed which I didn't realise before is that unlike it's previous release, I believe Spark has chosen to replicate the production version of the CTR rather than the actual first Yellowbird made by RUF. The Spark model doesn't have the license plate as per the first release, nor does it have the meshed air vents on the rear wheel arches.  
Besides the license plate, the GT Spirit is representing the actual original Yellowbird as seen on the right in the photos (on the grey leather base):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The other thing I noticed ... the GT Spirit is definitely a chunkier model. It's quite a lot heavier when holding both models, and is larger in overall proportions between the two. I wouldn't call it a Nicki Minaj version, but would rather compare it by saying if these two CTRs were the Bella twins, the Spark would be Brie and the GT Spirit would be Nikki. They both 'look' the same, but the GT Spirit has a bit more girth that's for sure.

Posted Image

The window surrounds and pillars are quite different on these models.
The Spark model has nice 3D pieces on top of the clear plastic side windows (yes the rear quarter window has come off on the model, I'll need to glue it back):
Posted Image

Whereas on the GT Spirit, it's just basic flat decals on the plastic which doesn't look too nice IMO. I'm not sure if this is a common thing with GT Spirit models as I only own one other model from them.
Posted Image

Another nice touch that Spark did was to black out the panel lines on the model, which makes it look a little nicer being a resin model:
Posted Image

But this was not seen on the GT Spirit model:
Posted Image

Both interiors are good, I slightly prefer the Spark over the GT Spirit:

Spark:
Posted Image

GT Spirit:
Posted Image

Overall, both a good models. The Spark being the more expensive out of the two has a few finer details here and there.
I'm not sure whats going on with the size difference of the models and which one is more accurate, i'll leave that up to the eagle eye dx'ers to advise.
The Spark is lacking the nice clam shell presentation box like they did with their first release of the CTR, in now comes in a standard box with polystyrene and plastic to hold the model. The base is also not that great, it's just simple black base with the model name printed at the bottom ... and is very very light and feels quite cheap.
But for the model itself, I have to go with the Spark over the GT Spirit if I were to pick one.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the story of these beauties! Both are great models, and they would look nice on a shelf for sure. Love the comparison!

#3 ONLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1546 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

Very nice comparison Mark. I love the Spark one. I used to have the GT Spirit, but let it go as I couldn't believe they molded in the rain gutter, which is one of RUF's most well known changes they make to the 911 shells.

The sizing is interesting, I wonder which one's the correct scale.

Base
@basegtr

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30940 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

It's nice to see an side by side comparison.

I've got the original Spark one, so I passed on the GT Spirit one. Seeing that the new Spark one is slightly different, I might get one. It some of my favourite ever tuned Porsche models so probably won't wait around.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#5 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3648 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

Nice comparison Mark. I didn't realise that Spark had re-released the Yellowbird, but thankful that I got a first edition.

If you ever get a chance to locate the following article:

Attached File  RUF-Yellowbird-for-sale-Road-and-Track.jpg   79.11K   1 downloads

Being such an avid Italian Supercar fan, I was devistated that the German marques comprehensively dominated the high speed test. This article pretty much lauched the infamy that the Yellowbird now receives, along with the various Youtube clips.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   gvkcustoms

gvkcustoms

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scale Model Modification and Restoration, PC Gaming.
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Frontiart, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:40 AM

Damn these are so cool!  :yahoo:
Now I need to add one! :gaah:
Posted Image
Flickr for all my photographs
Facebook Page for all my modifications.
Instagram for everything

#7 OFFLINE   giamino

giamino

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2814 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho, maisto, bbr
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the side by side!

Also, agreed that the black lines is a nice touch from Spark. I don't think even MR/BBR does that on their panel gaps. It really does make a huge difference.

#8 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2422 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

Sorry for the late reply guys but cheers for the responses, I would have liked to have done a full review but I think the pictures and small comparison is good enough.
At the end of the day, I think for those who know about the RUF CTR and its story, this is a must have model no matter the brand.

@Simon: I'm going to have to locate the article and give it a good read, thanks mate :occasion14:

I also previously picked up the 2017 CTR by Spark, and the duo pairs well together I must say:
Posted Image

#9 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1686 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:21 PM

Amazing Yellowbirds!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Found this very enjoyable video on YouTube - probably many of you have already seen this incredible drift around the famous Nurburgring Nordschleife:
https://youtu.be/OSMCfPASImQ
And now compare this with Timo Bernhard‘s record lap with the 919 evo:
https://youtu.be/PQmSUHhP3ug

Edited by vulpex, 03 April 2020 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.