Corona virus and model collection? - DX Hobby Talk - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Corona virus and model collection?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1497 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:04 AM

I'm surprised this matter has not been raised before,

But I'm curious what the Corona virus is going to do to your collecting habits?

I personally will be making a concerted effort to no longer purchase anything made in China (where I can help it of course) this of course means I'm effectively not going to be collecting any more die casts as a result.

China need to be held to account for this mess, and unless we stop sending money their way by utilizing their cheap products I don't know any other way I as an individual can have any impact on such matters.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   iStreet

iStreet

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Ferrari
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:22 AM

Mhh, interesting question.. But it is hard not to buy any products made in China.. Model cars, lots of them made in china.. But think of other items.. Even your iphone or Samsung is made in china.
I do buy less items at the moment, and if i buy, only by parcel. I do not get in contact with others, by picking up models from stores or used models. The parcelbox stays outside of my house, and i clean my products very carefully. :danke:

#3 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3652 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

On a temporary hiatis. My main priority after family, is the business which I have spent the last 11 years building. The staff and their livihood is my main concern. As such I expect that cash will be king and will be very careful with all spending habits. Additionally we had the family home on the market and were hoping to upsize. With the new distancing laws and general concern panicing most asset markets I am extremely grateful that we didn't buy before selling.

So at the moment I will be enjoying the few models I haven't packed and await for the world to return to normal before buying anything else. Might even get to update my collectors thread one of these days!

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2342 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

Very much the same here. Then again i haven't bought anything new since i received my last bulk order from Germany since dec last year and I dont think i had ever not buy anything (locally or by post) for such an extended period and the outbreak definitely doesn't help. My priority definitely has been with the family and personal financial wellbeing. Thankfully I still have a job although as of last week we are all pretty much on indefinite WFH arrangement until such time the crisis is over.

I probably won't call it quit yet and there are a few "cheapie" new releases out there which I'll be interested to get if i survive this. This hobby can still provides me enough distraction (apart from binge watching stuff on youtube netflix etc and gaming) from being confined to home during nationwide lockdown. No more car shows, CCC days no problem i have my own fleet to admire at in the comfort of my own living room :nice:

As for buying stuff from China. It will still be business as usual for most of us like it or not and I guess this is one of the result of globalisation. The current situation has been politicised since the beginning and frankly it is getting out of hand and nasty. If we are to hold anyone accountable for the mess it would be the leadership of the respective countries and involving the ordinary people that are just trying to make a living be factory workers or manufacturing firms that have fallen victim to the outbreak is unjust. If there is anything lesson to be learnt out from this this might convinces future product makers to reconsider not relying one a single country for all manufacturing activities and consider bringing that in house or spread it around the globe. @looney: Just so you know you may not need to quit diecast collecting entirely to live up to your principle as I noticed recently that some of new models have "Made in Bangladesh" stamp on the bottom of the models. Now the perceived exploitation of Bangladeshi garment workers have been documented for quite some time now and I don't know if that extends to other manufacturing industries in the country as I understand that might deters buyers with moral conscience from embracing the new alternate source of model cars.

#5 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

Same for me, I’m not gonna but anything (even if it’s so tempting). No matter if the virus is gonna last for months or even a year, its hard to risk getting the virus and spreading it to my family over a model. I know this will likely not happen, but a box especially when being shipped across the world to where I live. Many hands have probably touched those while being transported or packed.

#6 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3790 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:51 AM

Not buying from China is a bit of a stretch. After all they are also the ones producing the majority of medical equipment and supplies and are trying to help now.

I have stopped buying anything I don't need for now. For one, I don't want to clog shipping companies with unneccessary parcels right now. For two, the impending possible global recession. For three, there are more important things for now.

It certainly made me remember that in cases like now, my cabinets with diecasts aren't going to be of any help or use to feed or protect me. On the other hand, it's still a nice way to get your mind off of everything that's going on and will go on. So, I would continue to enjoy what I have, but not buying for the time being.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#7 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1815 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

This is one of those rare moments when working in academia (own by the state) really pays off. I know my salary is guaranteed and it will come on first and I am not afraid for my job. However, I have some other worries. I am about to apply for a green card and all this corona thing might delay the whole process. And since I am dreaming about it for almost 19 years now, you can imagine how I feel. I hope it will not.

Regarding the hobby. . . For this whole year, three months, I got only three models and I was planing to go low anyway. Simply all models are so expensive now, that it really doesn't make any sense for me to buy them. I'd rather save all money and buy some real stuff (like I don't have enough cars already :D ). Don't miss understand me. I like this hobby, I just don't like the prices. During last 10 years prices went up 4-5 times, while paycheck for my job went up way less then 20%.
It would be really nice if people would learn something about life and how to more appreciate some small stuff, however we had one similar lesson given to us back in 2008 and we didn't learn anything, so I doubt we'll learn anything now.

For those who are buying models regardless, I was reading and they say virus can "survive" up to 24 hours on cardboard/paper; up to 9 days on plastic and about 2-3 on metal but I am not so sure about the last one. Check it yourself.

#8 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1156 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

I haven't bought anything since early January, but I had decided to slow down on purchases in 2020 anyway.

The only reason I haven't bought anything at all online is the virus itself, even though so called "medical experts" say it's safe to receive packages from anywhere and even from China, I say it's not worth the risk, as the same "medical experts" say the virus can survive for many days on surfaces.

Now the thing about blaming China, I'd say they're half responsible for this mess, because illegal wildlife trade is something that has to stop in Asia and anywhere else that is going on. Not only it's inhumane, but now also proven to be extremelly dangerous to human life.

The other half of the blame belongs to world leaders, particularly in Europe, who were extremelly incompetent in regards to stopping movement of people from Asia into Europe. They should have put a ban in place as early as January, as well as screening anyone travelling within Europe. But no, they didn;t do what needed to be done, because as it always goes, it's profit before people.

Edited by cwbs, 29 March 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30976 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

I rarely buy models from China so for me, there hasn't been any difference.

I have been buying less lately though as there aren't as many there I want to buy. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#10 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12167 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

The Virus has made the world a different place to live for a few months now. I personally have stopped in the last week as my family are at home and i am on furlough(the government pays 80% of my wages while i don''t go to work) So any models i get would be a right ear full from the Family. Also the pound has dropped like a bomb and any models i want are a lot more expensive. Last Wednesday my Uncle died of the Corona Virus,he caught it while in quarantine with Cancer in Hospital !!! So this is hitting personally at so many levels to a lot of people.Please stay safe guys,life is precious and collecting can carry on later in the year if you are uncertain. :twocents: :danke: :occasion14:

#11 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostT1000, on 29 March 2020 - 08:51 AM, said:

Not buying from China is a bit of a stretch. After all they are also the ones producing the majority of medical equipment and supplies and are trying to help now.

That's kind of my point. We're too reliant on them, and it's been at the detriment of our own economies.

a CCP owned company in February chartered private planes out of Australia with local supplies of face masks sanitiser etc and stripped our stocks, all the while saying "nothing to see here, look the other way". They're not and have never really acted in good faith, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to ensure i buy products made locally or in other ally nations.

At the end of the day, if the CCP caused a large oil spill they would be held accountable, yet this has literally caused the biggest global problem in 100 years and i doubt any nations will be seeking restitution or recompense, so what can we do other than try to support local businesses instead?  I understand at present some things are only made in China which sucks but every little bit may make some impact IMO.

And don't get me started on the south China sea, or the way they are holding pacific island nations to ransom.  But perhaps because we live in the Asian region we may be a little closer to it than other nations.

Edited by looney, 29 March 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1270 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Many!

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

Definitely reining in the spending (was the plan anyway for diecasts as I already have more than I can display) and seeing what the future holds.

I'm heading towards retirement age and this has destroyed my pension pot and savings for now, so toy cars are not high on my priorities list right now!

It will be interesting to see if globalisation takes a hit as a result of this, my gut feeling is too many people in and around power make too much money as a result for it to do so for long...

Ironically, this is killing domestic and local manufacturers and retailers whilst making the global players stronger than ever... You can't go to the local toy store, but you can still buy from Amazon and eBay...

M

ETA Sympathies to you, Drivinghermad.

Edited by snowman, 29 March 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#13 ONLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1497 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

View Postdrivinghermad, on 29 March 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

The Virus has made the world a different place to live for a few months now. I personally have stopped in the last week as my family are at home and i am on furlough(the government pays 80% of my wages while i don''t go to work) So any models i get would be a right ear full from the Family. Also the pound has dropped like a bomb and any models i want are a lot more expensive. Last Wednesday my Uncle died of the Corona Virus,he caught it while in quarantine with Cancer in Hospital !!! So this is hitting personally at so many levels to a lot of people.Please stay safe guys,life is precious and collecting can carry on later in the year if you are uncertain. :twocents: :danke: :occasion14:

Sorry to hear it mate :( let's hope that you dont get any more impacts personally.

#14 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

View Postdrivinghermad, on 29 March 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

I’m so sorry to hear that.....I wish you, your family and friends well.
Let’s hope countries will be able to get the virus under control, so many people are getting infected. They’re dying too.  ;(

#15 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1815 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

View Postlooney, on 29 March 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

View PostT1000, on 29 March 2020 - 08:51 AM, said:

That's kind of my point. We're too reliant on them, and it's been at the detriment of our own economies.

a CCP owned company in February chartered private planes out of Australia with local supplies of face masks sanitiser etc and stripped our stocks, all the while saying "nothing to see here, look the other way". They're not and have never really acted in good faith, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to ensure i buy products made locally or in other ally nations.

At the end of the day, if the CCP caused a large oil spill they would be held accountable, yet this has literally caused the biggest global problem in 100 years and i doubt any nations will be seeking restitution or recompense, so what can we do other than try to support local businesses instead?  I understand at present some things are only made in China which sucks but every little bit may make some impact IMO.

And don't get me started on the south China sea, or the way they are holding pacific island nations to ransom.  But perhaps because we live in the Asian region we may be a little closer to it than other nations.

Similar thing with masks happened in US. Week or so before will corona hit US my sister wanted to buy some masks, and on whatever site she went everything was sold out. And on one website, it was even stated that they are out of masks nation wide. At the end, she managed to google out one store in wider Houston area that still had 30 masks left. Surprise, surprise, it was in a neighborhood where no asian lived or dared to go. . . I don't want to sound like a racist, but it seems like nothing good is coming out of china :D

@ drivinghermad

My condolences.

#16 OFFLINE   mcaf123

mcaf123

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 3760 posts
  • Interests:Instagram - @themodelcarcritic
    Facebook - The Model Car Critic
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, CMC, GT Spirit, Top Marques

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

I've been selling off my 1:18 collection over the last couple of weeks and on the whole it seems people are still happily buying models, although maybe that's just because people are desperate to buy what I'm selling?

It would be lovely if this served as a wake-up call for companies to divest from China and bring more production and jobs back home to their domestic markets. That can only be a good thing and will halt the seemingly unstoppable rise of China!

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Daz! Wishing anyone and everyone a speedy recovery and no further heartbreak.....
Please check out my collection thread HERE
Posted Image
Review portfolio: https://themodelcarcritic.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook...modelcarcritic/
Instagram page: @themodelcarcritic
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzS5wbCpLx-e7XxMDJa7SqA

#17 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2424 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

This is more of a 2 part topic, the first being how the Covid-19 pandemic relates to us personally within the hobby, being it with our collecting habits now and in the future ... and also personal stories and tragedies such as Darren's example above (very sorry to hear, my condolences Darren). We are a community and therefore have some connection to each other, which is more than just words and photos of cars on the screen. Darren is the first person I've known on some level to have lost someone close due to the virus, and can sense his pain and hurt through his words.

The other part is the political/global issues and consequences we are all reading and dealing with outside of this hobby: deaths, Government cover ups, recessions, fear, stress, uncertainty, anger, etc.

The latter is very real but too much of doom and gloom for me as I use this hobby and other interests of mine to keep a distance between whats happening out there. Besides, it's the only thing being reported on the news for weeks now.

I don't want to get into the political side of things, I've had my moments of stress and anger over the last couple of weeks. I'm grateful my partner and I are as yet unaffected financially as we are able to work from home in relative safety, we've just had to adjust the day to day living and spending habits somewhat.

With the collecting side, I'm looking to slow down buying anything for the moment. The Australian dollar has plummeted which also hasn't helped things. I'm still selling models and luckily that doesn't seem to have had much impact.

I do hope everyone is staying safe and looking after their loved ones during this time. I've used the time at home to appreciate my collection more and have taken and shared a lot more photos of my models than what I usually would.

#18 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11494 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your uncle Darren. This virus is hitting hard. Last week a friend of mine's dad dropped dead after they rushed back to the US 2 weeks earlier from their second vacation home in the Philippines to avoid the virus, but ended up contracting it. Basically he tried to revive his dad with CPR and he and his mother are now in the hospital fighting to survive. Then another guy that is closer to them as friends got it. One of the model car guys on FB has it..and I am PARANOID AF! The stupid mailman looked at me like a fool and laughed when I came to the door with gloves, a wet wipe, and a mask on. He was touching a package from HK without gloves.

Well, the last model that I received from China was my Rav4 in January..just as it was coming out that Corona was really becoming bad. I do have some models coming in from China, but due to the virus being EVERYWHERE now, not just China as it passes through so many hands. I will be spraying and wiping my model box AGAIN. However hearing that the virus sticks to metal and plastic for a longer time, I am nervous to touch the actual models inside now.

I was just talking with another friend about why can't the models be developed "Fool Proof" where Western model companies can have westerners make their own models? That said, mentality wise, there aren't enough people as passionate about models as most people on this forum. So, you will get a bunch of people looking for a job applying at those factories and you know that they won't see models as models but mere "TOYS". Thus,  probably many of them doing sh*tty quality control. Also, here in Europe, the Unions will drive up the prices.  
A possible solution would be to do the models as semi-assembled kits (like Gate used to do). Then the customer could build their own model if they wanted to.

Everybody Stay Safe!

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#19 OFFLINE   Floper54

Floper54

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 874 posts
  • Number of Models:400+
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, Autoart, GMP, Minichamps,.....
  • Proud Citizen of: fr

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

China must pay for that.... They tried to hide the problem since early december and they were unable to stop it inside its borders.
A world pandemic and all this mess because someone ate a dead crap in China.... well done.

I don't plan to stop my collection and it's impossible to avoid the "made in China" products today...  I am more concerned about the situation today and also after the virus.

The situation in Europe is critical and i think it will be even worse in the USA ( no health coverage )
In my country the government is totally stupid ! They forgot to order the masks since 2008, it is impossible to close our borders because it's racist apparently and they lie everyday on the mainstream media...
Go to work ! the shareholders want their dividend... money talks as always.
Result : out of control situation, 300 dead people everyday ( it's just the beginning if you look at the amount in Italy ) and a nightmare to find food. Absolutely unacceptable in a developed country !

Economically, IMO the virus is the perfect start to a new financial crisis from the USA.  Already fragile system, more unemployed people = impossible to pay the loans and debts.... it would be worse than 2008.
Welcome to 10 years of recession... i can't wait to see the exchange rates for the Euro and Dollar after the crisis.
I guess that our model cars won't be our main concern in the years to come...

The immediate future is not bright ( i hope i'm wrong ) but at the moment, enjoy the little things, stay safe guys and take care of your family :occasion14:

@ drivinghermad : Sorry to hear mate
My 1/18 collection : 400+ models http://www.diecastxc...118-collection/

#20 OFFLINE   MB63AMG

MB63AMG

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 610 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Auto Art

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

Has the Chinese government attempted to cover up their own failures and shortcomings? Most likely. Are we over-reliant on Chinese manufacturing? Maybe. Is China and its policies to blame for this pandemic, as well as the last three major viral outbreaks? Partially. Does the Chinese government and those responsible need to be held accountable? Definitely.

What I don't get is, why are we even talking about punishing the Chinese government vicariously through boycotting model companies. The people who run and work at these companies are just as much victims of this as we are. We've had no problem enjoying the fruits of cheap labor, especially the benefits of Chinese-made models, from AutoArts, Maistos, Kyoshos, Minichamps and BBR for years, if not decades by now. Not to mention, most of these model companies save AutoArt and Maisto aren't even based in China. To suggest that we abandon these companies now because of COVID-19 is simply ridiculous. Do you really want models made in Germany and the US? Sure, just don't regret it when we start paying AutoArt prices for Maisto quality models.
Latest Additions: : 1:18 Norev Mercedes C257 CLS in Red

Incoming: 1:18 Kyosho Bentley Bentayga in Orange, 1:18 Kyosho Bentley Mulsanne Speed in Blue, 1:18 Minichamps Bentley Continental GT in Gray, 1:18 Kyosho Bentley Continental Flying Spur in Purple, 1:18 Norev Audi A8 in Black

Wish List: 1:18 AutoArt Lamborghini Aventador S in Verde Mantis, 1:18 AutoArt McLaren 720S, 1:18 AutoArt Bugatti Chiron, 1:18 AutoArt Aston Martin Vantage S in Ming Blue

Full collection list in profile

#21 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5459 posts
  • Number of Models:100-110
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, UT, Cult, Tecnomodel

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:46 AM

I really want to start collecting again, actually. I haven't bought any models in about 2 years. I've got my eye on a better paying job that I really want to start soon. It seems like the recession won’t slow down the work too much, but their HR department is shut down for now, so getting it has become that much more difficult. I have work in the meantime...I'm just going one day at a time.

Best of luck to everyone. Darren, I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle.

#22 OFFLINE   rewire

rewire

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC,Autoart,Otto,Laudo
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:06 AM

In January when the government already knew everything, it did nothing because it was accused of racism.
They had also organized lunches in Chinese restaurants to show that they were not the problem and that there could be no epidemic in Italy.
In order not to stop the economy, they have encouraged people to come out and join the shopping centers until the situation has deteriorated....up to almost 1000 deaths a day.
My province was a little more reasonable and they contained everything a little earlier .
As for collectibles, I only have a one-model preorder, but honestly I don't really think about diecasts now.

Edited by rewire, 30 March 2020 - 01:10 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   rapide66

rapide66

• DX Community
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Ferrari, Aston Martin, Audi
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt
  • Proud Citizen of: hk

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:19 AM

I'm quite the opposite. Living in HK, I've already experienced two months of social distancing which has actually rekindled my interest in model cars as I normally don't stay home very frequently. So I've sort of just shifted my normal spending from clothes, entertainment and eating out to model cars. That being said, the impact of this virus on global financial markets and asset prices have been greater than I first anticipated, so I will have to cut back on all types of spending in the near future. Given that my collection is still quite small, perhaps I will just look out for great deals.

#24 OFFLINE   gvkcustoms

gvkcustoms

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scale Model Modification and Restoration, PC Gaming.
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Frontiart, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of: in

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

Most of the people here are talking out of anger/rage...

Yes, the virus originated in China... yes, they should have done more to contain it... but they didn't.
This could have happened anywhere... viruses can originate in any part of the world.
Did the world boycott Germany cause they started the world wars? Initially yes.. but did it last?...Nope
Similarly, say what you want, but the world will get over this and resume where it left off...

You can boycott China all you want... but it won't affect them, cause at the end of the day we all rely on Chinese goods for a majority of our daily lives.
In today's world (excluding some third world countries), you cannot boycott anyone (especially the large world powers)

Plus, since almost all of the models that we collect are made in China, either you leave the hobby or swallow your hatred and continue collecting....

:twocents:  Just my 2 cents ... (Not meant to offend anyone.)

Edited by gvkcustoms, 30 March 2020 - 01:38 AM.

Posted Image
Flickr for all my photographs
Facebook Page for all my modifications.
Instagram for everything

#25 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1270 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Many!

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:53 AM

View Postgvkcustoms, on 30 March 2020 - 01:38 AM, said:

Most of the people here are talking out of anger/rage...

Yes, the virus originated in China... yes, they should have done more to contain it... but they didn't.
This could have happened anywhere... viruses can originate in any part of the world.
Did the world boycott Germany cause they started the world wars? Initially yes.. but did it last?...Nope
Similarly, say what you want, but the world will get over this and resume where it left off...

You can boycott China all you want... but it won't affect them, cause at the end of the day we all rely on Chinese goods for a majority of our daily lives.
In today's world (excluding some third world countries), you cannot boycott anyone (especially the large world powers)

Plus, since almost all of the models that we collect are made in China, either you leave the hobby or swallow your hatred and continue collecting....

:twocents:  Just my 2 cents ... (Not meant to offend anyone.)

Indeed.

China is a massive world economic power because people want things cheap - Once this is over, they'll still want that and China will go on providing it.

Boycott Chinese products? Well, even if you could get the products you wanted (and you probably WON'T be able to) would you pay 2, 3, 5, 10 times the price for them? You might say "Yes", but in a couple of year's time, you'll be saying "Why would I buy the greedy prices of home grown products when I  can get equally good ones for less from China"...

M

Edited by snowman, 30 March 2020 - 01:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.