1/18 2020 Toyota Corolla...Dealer Editions By Sum's Models (Almost Real) - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 2020 Toyota Corolla...Dealer Editions By Sum's Models (Almost Real)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:01 AM

Here it is, the BEST SELLING CAR IN THE WORLD..Toyota's 2020 Corolla. This one being in Sedan form CDM Spec (Same as the EU Spec'd Corolla Sedans). Japan get's both this and the Levin, N.America gets the Levin version of the 2020 Corolla (Which I do have a model coming soon as well).

What can I say?...besides Toyota went really conservative on this variation compared to the last one. It's not a bad looking car, but next to a Civic, Sentra, Jetta or others in this segment, it kinda' is recessed back from the spotlight design wise IMO. Also, the interior or these are rather sparse or lower-end materials being use compared to it's rivals.
I think that good ole' Toyota has gotten too comfortable with their high sales of this name plate and have relaxed a bit too much for my tastes personally as far as giving the customers something desirable. Perhaps Toyota knows who will or won't buy this car and gives their loyal repeat clients everything that is "acceptable" versus "desirable"? IDK, but it seems to be working out perfectly for them.

So, I noticed that Toyota has been doing more and more releases of their 1/18th scale models to a certain level. Not cheap, but not overtly detailed either in some areas. However, they are accurately represented nevertheless. I love that the color is matched perfectly on my example. The fit could be better, especially the front doors which needs a bump stop to keep them from going too far inwards at the back edge of the door. Other than that, I think the quality is good. Again, it's got flawless paint, photo etched badging & brake rotors, plus functional moving/folding parts including an opening fuel door cover, tilt sunroof as well as a hidden spare tire under the carpeted rear trunk floor. Speaking of carpeting, the interior features that as well. Personally, I get bored with black interiors, they could have brightened up the model with something more lighter color wise, so that we collectors could see some contrasts of interior details. The wheels are done really well and it actually has perforated front grilles. You can't go wrong with that.
The engine is Norev like in detail, the chassis is a tab bit better than the engine. It does work well together in one package as a model at a really good price point for a fully opening model in 2020.

I got this one, because it fits into my everyday theme for 1/18th model cars. Please have a look and let me know what you like or dislike about this piece.

2020 Toyota Corolla Begin!...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opened Up!..
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for Looking! CHEERS! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1692 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

Nice one!! :occasion14:
Always LOVE your review of these 1:18, especially the daily driver types!
So this is the Asian / European version, correct? The USDM version has slightly different front fascia (which if I'm not mistaken I saw the 1:18 version of the USDM somewhere online).

#3 OFFLINE   Yeow Yi Fan

Yeow Yi Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 292 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

I wished they would make this exact spec with this exact front fascia when I was casually window-shopping.

Posted Image

The CDM-spec looks like it was aggressively designed at first but then the committee stepped in to tone down a few notches.

Also, it was quite a relief when both the American and European press seem to give good reviews on the latest Corolla though they always like to add "...for a Corolla" at the end of each good remark. :dunno:
I do have a soft spot for the Corolla. Its coolness is how unpretentious, ubiquitous and indestructible it is. It is just such an easy target to mock and ridicule. :twocents:

#4 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 11:51 AM

View Posttanayast, on 10 April 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

Nice one!! :occasion14:
Always LOVE your review of these 1:18, especially the daily driver types!
So this is the Asian / European version, correct? The USDM version has slightly different front fascia (which if I'm not mistaken I saw the 1:18 version of the USDM somewhere online).
Thanks Stefanus!!! :danke:  I love doing these type of "Everyday Vehicles" reviews! :yahoo:
Yes, it's the CDM, EU-Spec and also sold in Japan next to the Levin version, which is sold in N.America. I'm waiting for the Levin's prices to go down before I order. :occasion14:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

View PostYeow Yi Fan, on 10 April 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

I wished they would make this exact spec with this exact front fascia when I was casually window-shopping.

Posted Image

The CDM-spec looks like it was aggressively designed at first but then the committee stepped in to tone down a few notches.

Also, it was quite a relief when both the American and European press seem to give good reviews on the latest Corolla though they always like to add "...for a Corolla" at the end of each good remark. :dunno:
I do have a soft spot for the Corolla. Its coolness is how unpretentious, ubiquitous and indestructible it is. It is just such an easy target to mock and ridicule. :twocents:
Well, I like that Toyota stepped their "Adventurous" design levels up for their entire range of cars with the mew Leader/Family member taking the reigns :eusa_clap: :yahoo:
I like this new Corolla, but this version is like the EU spec. The nice blue one that you posted is based on the US Spec'd versions which is also sold in China as the Levin as well as in Japan and S.East Asia under that name. It seems like in China, they are more into sedans like we Americans are, and I don't know if a hatchback is coming in 1/18th scale, but the sedan is available now..but, I am waiting for the prices to go down a bit. :twocents:
Yeah, some people look down their noses at  cars like these, but, that's their ignorance. I do think that Toyota could step up their interior quality on this car, as Nissan and Honda is blowing them out of the water from that point.  :rolleyes:
We are lucky that we do have models of these cars in fully opening 1/18th scale diecast!! :occasion14:

#6 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:26 PM

Amazing! When this Corolla came out in Canada, I instantly liked it in every way. To be honest, I didn't really like the outgoing model of the Corolla as it was just really old, and rental car-like. This still has the rental-car vibe on it, but only on the LE trims. Other than that, it's a really good car. I can imagine many people relying on this vehicle for their daily commutes, and such.

With the model, I was just as surprised as I was with the Focus! The front kind of reminds me of a Camry (which is a good thing, cause the Camry's handsome)! I just noticed that the spare tire has a steel rim! Probably the first time I've ever seen a model with steel spares, lol. I didn't know the Corolla had a vertical touchscreen, it's kind of the same style as the 2020 Ford Explorer in higher trim. I think they look quite nice! This is what I love so much about normal car models, there's so much functionality in them! These companies have a really high standard when it comes to making models, especially when most of them require to have opening gas caps as standard! Maybe what would make this model a lot better is if they added springs on the hood of their cars, instead of metal hinges!

#7 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostRDynamic, on 11 April 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

Amazing! When this Corolla came out in Canada, I instantly liked it in every way. To be honest, I didn't really like the outgoing model of the Corolla as it was just really old, and rental car-like. This still has the rental-car vibe on it, but only on the LE trims. Other than that, it's a really good car. I can imagine many people relying on this vehicle for their daily commutes, and such.

With the model, I was just as surprised as I was with the Focus! The front kind of reminds me of a Camry (which is a good thing, cause the Camry's handsome)! I just noticed that the spare tire has a steel rim! Probably the first time I've ever seen a model with steel spares, lol. I didn't know the Corolla had a vertical touchscreen, it's kind of the same style as the 2020 Ford Explorer in higher trim. I think they look quite nice! This is what I love so much about normal car models, there's so much functionality in them! These companies have a really high standard when it comes to making models, especially when most of them require to have opening gas caps as standard! Maybe what would make this model a lot better is if they added springs on the hood of their cars, instead of metal hinges!
Thanks! :danke: This one really is a nice evolution from the last gen. :eusa_clap: I feel the exact opposite, to me the last gen felt more "premium" for a Corolla.
The main problem that I had with this new gen is, that it looks like it's dated already in this spec compared to it's direct competition  :rolleyes:
It's certainly a nicely detailed model and I'm glad that Toyota saw it fit to do a model of cars like this. It's a fresh break to have more than a super or hyper car in 1/18th scale! :yahoo:  
Glad that you also liked this model as well!! Will you be adding it to your collection as well? :occasion14:

#8 OFFLINE   RDynamic

RDynamic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, Autoart, Dealer Editions, Kyosho, and Maisto
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:24 AM

View PostD N, on 13 April 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

Thanks! :danke: This one really is a nice evolution from the last gen. :eusa_clap: I feel the exact opposite, to me the last gen felt more "premium" for a Corolla.
The main problem that I had with this new gen is, that it looks like it's dated already in this spec compared to it's direct competition  :rolleyes:
It's certainly a nicely detailed model and I'm glad that Toyota saw it fit to do a model of cars like this. It's a fresh break to have more than a super or hyper car in 1/18th scale! :yahoo:  
Glad that you also liked this model as well!! Will you be adding it to your collection as well? :occasion14:
I'm not sure about the Corolla, it looks so nice though! If a hatchback came out, I'd definitely get one!

#9 OFFLINE   efirlar

efirlar

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: tr

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:30 PM

Very nice details on this Corolla. Look at that center screen, it is very big.

#10 OFFLINE   BennettRSB

BennettRSB

• DX Community
  • 10 posts
  • Favorite Brands:norev
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:22 PM

Another fantastic review of a great car. These models are brilliant as they are fully functioning and offer, in my opinion, so much more to the collector as you can see all aspects of the car.

Also think the colour is lovely :eusa_clap:

#11 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:23 PM

View PostRDynamic, on 21 April 2020 - 11:24 AM, said:

View PostD N, on 13 April 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

I'm not sure about the Corolla, it looks so nice though! If a hatchback came out, I'd definitely get one!
I certainly would like to see a hatchback 2020 Corolla as well!

#12 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:38 PM

View Postefirlar, on 21 April 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

Very nice details on this Corolla. Look at that center screen, it is very big.
I just would have liked to have seen a more contrasting interior color personally. To me the interior and engine on this model is it's weakest links compared to the previous Corolla models.

#13 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11469 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:54 PM

View PostBennettRSB, on 21 April 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

Another fantastic review of a great car. These models are brilliant as they are fully functioning and offer, in my opinion, so much more to the collector as you can see all aspects of the car.

Also think the colour is lovely :eusa_clap:
Thank you! :danke: Glad to read that you thought that it was a fantastic review.  Yes, these models have a certain charm to them. Most collectors seek the exotic(I do as well), but I find that when I can buy a model of a car seen everywhere in everyday life not taken for granted, I have to go for it, if I like the car or brand. This is no exception. Just glad for the opportunity to buy one.
Yeah, I had to go for this over white, that is just a bridge too far into "rental car" look-a-like IMO! :occasion14:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.