The first Lamborghinis... - DX Classic | Vintage - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

The first Lamborghinis...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:54 PM

A new acquisition arrived last week. A 1966-68 Lamborghini 400 gt 2+2 by KK-Scale. Although a kerbside model (no opening parts or engine detail), it is pleasing to handle, being a diecast with a nice heft and feel. KK-scale offer this model in a variety of colours and I chose black with a red interior because I felt the shut lines were a little thin and that perhaps the solid black paint would conceal that the bonnet, boot and doors do not open. The model does have full chrome brightwork and nicely detailed lights and interior and even has under chassis detailing, such as a painted engine sump with cooling fins. For me, the most impressive detailing is the gorgeous looking Borrani wheels and the lowered stance of the body on the chassis. It looks just right to my eyes and although inexpensive, the designers and manufacturers have gone to some length to produce a nice model for the serious collector.

It also looks very handsome alongside my other classic Lamborghinis, especially the Miura SV by Kyosho, which has a similarly appealing lowered stance. But perhaps the most striking comparison is when I studied the model alongside the 350 gt by Ricko made so many years ago. I made considerable alterations to my 350 gt: Painting a black wash on the grill, attaching a scale Lamborghini badge on the bonnet and most significantly, replacing the original disappointing plastic looking Borranis with more scale wheels by Fernando Pinto Models. And yet all of this detailing is already there out of the box with the KK-scale model.

And when I put the two models together, I noticed the Ricko was riding too high, so, carried out further modifications and stripped the 350 gt down, lowered the suspension to try and match the look of the KK-scale 400 gt 2+2. But despite my best efforts, it's the KK-scale model that gets my attention today. Maybe that's unfair, considering how old the Ricko model is compared to the brand new KK-scale Lamborghini. And it seems a bygone age when would have normally expected every scale model to have fully opening parts and detailing. But if I had to choose between the two models, I'd pick the KK-scale Lamborghini 400 gt 2+2 over the Ricko 350 gt. It just gives me that delight that you can only get with a scale model, and not a picture, or a car review, or even the real thing sometimes.

My favourite new model of the year so far (not that I've been actively collecting recently). I'd like to know the views of the fellow scale model car collector community. What do you think?

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 14 April 2020 - 04:04 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   cannondancer

cannondancer

• DX Community
  • 84 posts
  • Favorite Brands:older AUTOart & Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

Limited space and family budget considerations make every purchase a thoroughly thought out process for me. Being an especially big fan of vintage Lamborghini cars meant that I was always on the look out for a good early GT. The Ricko version never quite looked right to my eyes, and I’m not big on the red shade that Ricko used. Then there was the CMR 350GT in resin. It was the exact colour combination I’ve always loved on those old Italian GT’s (metallic light blue, light interior – so dolce vita!) and decently priced. But the shape was inaccurate, the window “chrome” horrible to distraction and the Birrani’s were arguably worse than the plastic looking Ricko rims.

Fast forward a few years and KK Scale announce these 400GT 2+2 models and straight away I’m Googling photos like there’s no tomorrow! Surprise of surprises, it looked great! Found a good price, ordered it, and immediately really impressed with the model straight out of the box. As you mentioned, the wheels look great, as does the rest of the model. The only slight issue might be  the badges are ever so slightly undefined, but they’re there in correct scale and look fine to me.
I wish it was an opening model of course, but as long as everything’s in proportion and to scale with an adequate level of detail, I’m happy. So no, we can’t access the interior, but the well shaped plastic windows allow for a decent view of a nicely detailed interior. Unfortunately those details are a little obscured in my example as the interior is black, however I can still make out the guages, buttons and other interior details when the model is out under light.

The fact that these models are decently priced is the icing on the cake. I’ve seen other KK Scale 1/18’s and it seems they’re variable in terms of proportions. Their more recent Ferrari 288GTO is a case in point. But they got this old Lamborghini right so far as I can tell, so I’m happy. I hope KK Scale can continue delivering nice models at their current price point. I’ve pretty much abandoned buying AUTOart models and they rarely produce anything I’m interested in these days anyway. If you can get past the fact that this is a closed model then this looks perfect alongside models from AUTOart and Kyosho.

Kitefighter - I always enjoy reading your posts. Your photos and observations are always interesting and on point. Your old Miura SV AutoART vs. Kyosho thread in particular is a classic, and sets the perfect template on how to review and photograph models for comparison.

Regards and apologies to all for the quick 'n nasty snapshot!

Attached Files

#3 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 891 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

Thank you for the kind and generous words cannondancer. It's always a pleasure to read your comments also. I wasn't sure whether this model was as good as it first appeared or might it have been the seduction something, new mint and boxed and so your opinions are valuable. I also noticed that the bonnet badge lacked substance, so I added an detail upgrade badge after I took the pictures above but I'm afraid my camera phone late at night will not illustrate the difference.

I like the look of your Lamborghinis and in particular, the Espada by AUTOart, particularly because it was the successor to the 400 gt 2+2 and the last front engined Lamborghini V12. Had I known then, that this would also be the last diecast classic Lamborghini by AUTOart I wouldn't have waited as long to acquire one for my collection as the prices are now over my budget.

If you have time, I hope you will take some nice pictures of your 400 gt 2+2 and Espada together and share your opinions. I think that would make an interesting comparison.

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 14 April 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 891 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 07:28 AM

I've been enjoying looking at pictures of the Lamborghini 350 GT by Ricko and CMR and reading the reviews of the collectors from previous posts.

Far better pictures than mine, so please see the links here.

https://www.diecastx...50-gt-by-ricko/

https://www.diecastx...-350-gt-by-cmr/

What is it about superb pictures of other collectors models that make you wish you could add them to your own?

Edited by kitefighter, 17 April 2020 - 08:11 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2342 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

Loving every bit of the 350GT. KK-scale did pretty good job here me think. I too got one in light blue colour late last year. Definitely look forward to more from KK-scale. Considering they started with this legendary Lambo, i hope they will consider other lesser known Lamborghinis i.e. Jarama, Jalpa and so on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.