Version 2 - Ferrari 333SP Team Shell / MOMO - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Version 2 - Ferrari 333SP Team Shell / MOMO

66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:53 AM

Most will know I love the Ferrari 333 SP race car and especially the MOMO livery cars. I have the BBR sealed resin MOMO / Cristal version and I also last year made my own version of the MOMO car out of a HWE model. Well I wanted to add this other version of it in yellow with the Shell and MOMO livery so time to build another one. This is the car I am copying
Posted Image
And this is the donor model which I picked up off ebay for AUD$80.00   Bargain!
Posted Image
Model out of the box and a few parts for the build. These gold BBS wheels came off the GT Spirit Koenig F50 that I just did a wheel swap on, and I found a new decal supplier that made the exact decal sheet for this car. Sweet
Posted Image
This is the decal sheet from Tailor Made Decals and comes in all different scales, this is of course the 1/18 sheet. They make alot of different decal sheets for mostly racing cars, check em out.
Posted Image
Model mostly disassembled, really easy and quick
Posted Image
Time to strip all the paint off the body
Posted Image
Paint stripped and ready to start the metal fab
Posted Image
Rear engine lid will need the rear right hand side air scoop. This part came from Legende Miniatures years ago
Posted Image
I made a masking tape template of the shape first
Posted Image
I then positioned the template on the body and stuck it in place
Posted Image
Traced around the template and removed the tape. I will cut this out about 1mm inside the line and then keep trimming the resin scoop until it fits in tight. The it can be glued in place
Posted Image
These little inner ears of the front air scoop have to be cut off
Posted Image
I then measured the MOMO decal that came with the sheet and made a template for that and stuck it into position. I then used a piece of clear acetone sheet and marked out the shape of the large side scoop that is on this real car. This is easier than drawing lots of lines on the body so I could fine tune the shape
Posted Image
I then cut out the template from the acetone sheet and then traced the shape on both sides with a marker. I can then cut out the shape and then build the inner shape of the scoop out of styrene sheet
Posted Image
And these inner metal stems have to be cut away. No loss here as they are the model mounting lugs for the model to be screwed to the HWE base.
Posted Image
Tomorrow I can start all the metal cutting and filing. More to come. Cheers

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:19 AM

Ambitious project!

Going to follow you on this one.

Good Luck!

#3 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30952 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Really nice, can't wait too see this one  :)

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#4 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1696 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

Looking very much forward to follow this project!!! :yahoo:

#5 ONLINE   jandro_f1

jandro_f1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2032 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Kyosho, Minichamps, Exoto, BBR, Spark, HPI
  • Proud Citizen of: cr

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

Really nice project man! That car engine is amazing how it sounds. Looking forward to see more.

Edited by jandro_f1, 09 May 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

View Postibj40, on 09 May 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

Ambitious project!

Going to follow you on this one.

Good Luck!
Thanks Jim, not too many mods to be honest

View PostCraig, on 09 May 2020 - 08:14 AM, said:

Really nice, can't wait too see this one  :)
Cheers Craig, should be another quick build

View Postvulpex, on 09 May 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

Looking very much forward to follow this project!!! :yahoo:
Thanks Dirk

View Postjandro_f1, on 09 May 2020 - 01:39 PM, said:

Really nice project man! That car engine is amazing how it sounds. Looking forward to see more.
Cheers, best sounding race engine for sure

#7 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:56 PM

UPDATE 10/05/2020

Started all the metal work today by cutting the inner screw posts off
Posted Image
I start all these areas to be cut out by drilling a hole in each corner and I can use a thin cut off wheel on the dremel and just join the dots
Posted Image

Posted Image
Cut out with the Dremel, then I use a file to smooth the cut and get it closer to the line
Posted Image
I then slightly sand the edges of the resin part until it fits tight. I can now glue this part into the metal body and then use filler to fill the edges
Posted Image
I also cut out the cooling slots in the rear as well, and same as the last model like this I made, I over cut the slots, so I will have to add some filler at the end of the slots to even them up
Posted Image
Inner ears cut off in the front air scoop openings
Posted Image
Side scoops cut out with and filed to shape
Posted Image
Diecast was pretty thick here, so I went through a few cutting disc's
Posted Image
Body sitting over the floor and you can see the face of the side mount radiator in there. I will build the scoop opening out of styrene sheet to meet up to these radiators both sides
Posted Image
The resin scoop was super thick on the underside, so I had to sand it down in thickness and luckily when the rear clam is in place, it clears the suspension underneath
Posted Image
Underside view of the back of the scoop I just fitted. I will have to make an oil cooler that sits in this position.
Posted Image
This took a few hours today. More to come. Cheers

#8 OFFLINE   msousa71

msousa71

• DX Community
  • 71 posts
  • Favorite Brands:lamborghini
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:52 AM

Nice job so far Rob , its a good thing you have a collection of spare parts that always come in handy for your future builds

#9 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4444 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

Those are excellent cutting skills!
I'm not sure I could match your standards, having had nightmares with injected plastic kits...   :gaah:

#10 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:42 AM

View Postmsousa71, on 10 May 2020 - 04:52 AM, said:

Nice job so far Rob , its a good thing you have a collection of spare parts that always come in handy for your future builds
Cheers mate, I never throw anything away as you never know when it might come in handy for other builds

View Postslartibartfast229, on 10 May 2020 - 07:17 AM, said:

Those are excellent cutting skills!
I'm not sure I could match your standards, having had nightmares with injected plastic kits...   :gaah:
Just practice i guess

#11 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:55 AM

UPDATE 13/05/2020

Today i glued in the rear scoop into the rear clam shell just with superglue
Posted Image
Next I applied all the Tamiya filler to the edges of the scoop so it can be all blended in
Posted Image
Underside too
Posted Image
And I added some filler to the over cut slots. I will sand this back and re cut the slots more carefully
Posted Image
Looking at pics of this yellow 333 SP, I noticed that the side sill is completely flat, so this rolled bottom edge of the diecast body had to go. More diecast grinding!
Posted Image
I used the milling cutter on the Dremel to remove the bulk of the diecast, then used a sanding drum to flush it all up, then a few different grades of sandpaper to get it much smoother. This will still be skimmed with Tamiya putty once the side scoops are built from styrene sheet to smooth everything out
Posted Image
This is how it now sits over the factory side step, which will now have to have carbon decal applied as you see much more of it
Posted Image
And I just made a start on the card templates for the top and bottom styrene sheet pieces that will form the inner scoop. More to come
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1696 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

Very much enjoy to see the progress step by step - thanks for sharing, Rob! :rock:
Just curious: What are your plans for the wind screen?

Edited by vulpex, 13 May 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

View Postvulpex, on 13 May 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Very much enjoy to see the progress step by step - thanks for sharing, Rob! :rock:
Just curious: What are your plans for the wind screen?
Thanks Dirk, I have been playing around with some thin acetate sheet for the windscreen. Not sure it will work, but was thinking of painting the metal part black, and then applying a tinted acetone windscreen over that. I will have a play around with it before the body is painted to see if it will work.

#14 OFFLINE   CentenarioAndVeneno

CentenarioAndVeneno

• DX Community
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Model Cars, Sports
  • Number of Models:5 built, 7 modified, 4 bought
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AUTOart,

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:03 PM

Looking good so far Rob.

#15 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8955 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

Looking good. Love the body mods and the explanations
I mod stuff

Wes

#16 OFFLINE   X-Filer

X-Filer

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Cars, beautiful women... the usual!
  • Number of Models:530 at the moment!
  • Favorite Brands:Signature Models
  • Proud Citizen of: pt

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:16 AM

Oh boy, oh boy! Here we go again!! :lurker:
Posted ImageTOYOTA IS FOR LIFE!

#17 OFFLINE   Sebastian

Sebastian

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

Not a big fan of this kind of racing cars, but your progress and metal work is excellent and inspiring as always. Thanks for sharing your work again :yahoo:

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

View PostCentenarioAndVeneno, on 13 May 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Looking good so far Rob.
Thanks buddy

View PostStratosWRC, on 13 May 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Looking good. Love the body mods and the explanations
Cheers Wes,

View PostX-Filer, on 14 May 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

Oh boy, oh boy! Here we go again!! :lurker:
Got that right, what started as a simple build has now grown

View PostSebastian, on 15 May 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Not a big fan of this kind of racing cars, but your progress and metal work is excellent and inspiring as always. Thanks for sharing your work again :yahoo:
Cheers Seb

#19 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:47 AM

UPDATE 16/05/2020

More work today and I started by building the side vents. I transferred the template shapes onto some styrene sheet. 3mm thick for the bottom inside faces and 1mm thick for the top insides as these have a slight curve to them
Posted Image
I then glued these piece in behind the diecast with superglue, as I find this is the best to glue styrene to diecast
Posted Image
Making sure the bottom pieces are perfectly horizontal
Posted Image
I then made a card template for the vertical face of the scoop, easier to keep trimming card than wasting styrene sheet. Had a few goes to get it right
Posted Image
I then transferred that to 1mm thick styrene and cut it out. Then bent it to have a bit of a curve just with my fingers, then glued it into place
Posted Image
Here you can see the inside, easy just to run a bead of glue along the edges that you don't see. Super strong bond
Posted Image
Before I glued the other side in place, I just made a template of the inner face of the styrene so that when I glue the other side in place, the scoops are the same
Posted Image
Flipped the template over, sat it in the scoop and marked the line of the styrene face
Posted Image
Then glued that face in place. Test fitted the body over the chassis and it sits pretty good with the scoops feeding directly in front of the HWE side radiators
Posted Image
Underside showing the symetrical scoops
Posted Image
I then filed the transition between the diecast and the styrene sheet just to take off any vertical edge in the join
Posted Image
Then applied all the putty. I didn't need much putty in the opening of the scoops, but applied alot on the diecast sides as there are lots of scratches and grind marks from where I ground off the lower diecast sill. Once all the putty dries, I will be able to sand most of this away, just leaving the scratches filled. That's the plan anyway. Fingers crossed
Posted Image
Other side
Posted Image
While the putty is drying, I decided to tackle the racing seat. It is red in the yellow car I am building, so this is a quick mod and relatively easy
Posted Image
I removed the side bars and harnesses from the seat
Posted Image
Then removed all the black flocking from the seat using Goo Gone ( Wes's tip and still using it. Cheers Wes)
Posted Image
I then masked up the sides of the seat and the sides of the head rest cushion, and applied some Tamiya white to them both rather than painting the red paint over the black plastic.
Posted Image
Masking removed, and ready to paint
Posted Image
I always use Tamiya enamel (in a matt, not a gloss) for the flocking process as it dries slower than acrylic allowing the flocking powder to stick to the paint.
Posted Image
I then apply a liberal coating of matt red paint, but still a smooth coat, and then sprinkle the flocking powder through a tea strainer onto the wet paint. Let it dry for about 3-5 minutes, then hold the part upside down and tap with my finger to shake all the excess away. I did a tutorial video on Youtube of the process if anyone is interested. This red flocked seat should look pretty good in a yellow car.
Posted Image
While the seat is drying, I decided to play around with the canopy windscreen. It is dark tinted on the real car, and the model it is diecast. I am planning to paint the meatal part black, then apply a acetate tinted piece over the top. Not sure if this will work or look terrible so this is all trail and error as I have never done this before, but hey, it is worth a try. First a made a template out of masking tape.
Posted Image
The I transferred the tape to some thin acetate sheet, cut it out and it is holding in position with some tape over the metal body.
Posted Image
Follows the shape pretty good but due to the radius of the screen, the acetate and conforms one way, so it is a bit higher in the back center, but this may work to my advantage, giving a bit of space between the black painted stock metal and the underside of the tinted acetate. I will use Tamiya Smoke to tint the underside.
Posted Image
The seat had dried and I re attached the side bars and the racing harnesses. Pretty happy with how this came out. That is all I had time for today, so more to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 8955 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:48 AM

Wow the seat came out so nice!
I mod stuff

Wes

#21 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Wes, it's funny that in these pictures, it still looks kind of furry, but in the flesh it looks so much better.

UPDATE 17/05/2020

Today the finished seat was glued back into the chassis
Posted Image
Next I decided to make the side radiator faces that will be visible through the new side scoops. Just some 0.5mm styrene sheet and some photo etch radiator grille from Crazy Modeller
Posted Image
Stuck the mesh to the styrene sheet, then sprayed them in Tamiya silver leaf
Posted Image
Cut them to size and sitting in behind the vent. Happy with that.
Posted Image
Sanded all the putty on the rear engine clam
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Then sanded all the putty of the sides of the body and the inside of the scoop. Looks like most of it has been sanded away, but it has filled the smaller scratches I think
Posted Image
Other side
Posted Image
Some grey primer on the rear clam to identify any areas that need more putty. Just a couple of touch ups and it will be ready to 2K prime
Posted Image

Posted Image
Same on the body, some grey primer to find any gaps in the styrene joins. Just some very minor filling and this will be good to 2K prime as well
Posted Image

Posted Image
Almost there with the body, can't wait to paint this one and decal it up!
Posted Image
Next I decided to play around with the wheels. The HWE wheels have a 4.7mm stem on the back of the wheels, and the GT Spirit BBS wheels have a 5.7mm stem, so I drilled out the center of the brake rotors so they will slip in place
Posted Image
The new wheels now slip on, the front wheels are ok, but the rear wheels need WAY more dish, so I am going to modify these using the barrel of the HWE rear wheels. Here we go!
Posted Image
The plan is to combine these two together into one wheel. Keeping the outer face lip of the BBS wheel, the center and rear stem of the BBS wheel, and the deep barrel of the HWE wheel
Posted Image
Now I get to play with my new toy. This is the Dremel Workstation which holds your Dremel multi tool in its cradle, and you can now use it as a drill, a milling machine and other uses as well. I will discover more ways to use this over the next few custom models, but for now, this is perfect to accurately trim the wheel barrels into pieces. Oh, and it costs AUD $49 for this Dremel workstation, not including the Dremel multi tool
So I fitted the mini saw blade bit, set the height, and then cut the top outer ring of the BBS wheel by just turning it around and letting the saw blade do the work. This worked great and cut it perfectly square.
Posted Image
Close up of the cutting and the wheel after I cut the top outer ring off
Posted Image
So the BBS outer ring will then be glued onto the HWE wheel barrel, maybe the other side.
Posted Image
I then put the BBS wheel face down, and then cut off the whole back of the barrel
Posted Image
I then sanded all the excess of the outside of the BBS center so it will insert into the HWE wheel barrel
Posted Image
I then cut the spokes out of the center of the HWE wheels, leaving the outer ring edge as the BBS centers can be glued onto the ring making the wheel become one.
Posted Image
I flipped the HWE wheels over and am using the larger dish of the back of the HWE wheel, BBS inserted in for a test fit and the BBS outer lip sitting in place. This is going to work.
Posted Image
I then super glued the BBS chrome outer onto the back of the HWE wheel barrel. This whole wheel will be primed and chromed using the Molotow refil through the airbrush.
Posted Image
Tyres onto the rims, I will end up repainting the gold centers and chroming the outer rings on both the front and the rear wheels before these will be finished
Posted Image
Super deep dish like the real car
Posted Image
On the car, and look pretty good, but need to be re chromed before I get the full effect of the newly build rear wheels. That's all I have time for today, so more to come. Thanks for looking. Cheers
Posted Image

#22 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12118 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:04 PM

How much of this custom is going to be original model vs all the custom work?

#23 ONLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1550 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

Really nice work on those wheels Rob, looking forward to seeing them painted.

Base
@basegtr

#24 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2146 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:19 AM

View Postpreisman, on 16 May 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

How much of this custom is going to be original model vs all the custom work?
Well that's about it for the modifications, so still alot of original model left.

View PostBaseGTR, on 16 May 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

Cheers Base, me too, hopefully the look seemless once painted

#25 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5048 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

View PostBaseGTR, on 16 May 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

Ditto!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.