1:18 BMW 2002, 1M, and M2 Competition - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 BMW 2002, 1M, and M2 Competition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1699 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

In times when companies like BMW are forced to build their cars to appeal to the masses, I am still happy to see that there are still ‘purist’ cars left in the company’s portfolio. And these are the ‘compact’ BMW cars that are downsized from even the traditionally-small 3-series. So I decided to do this 1:18 indoor photoshoot.

First let me start with the original 2002. This one is an old AutoArt. It has all that classic AutoArt goodness! Luckily the unit I have is pretty much free from paint defects / rashes. Cars like this makes me miss the days when full opening diecast are ‘normal’. I bought this a while ago and had the choice between this tii and the Turbo, but in the end decided to go with the tii for it’s more classic proportion and look.

Moving on to the 1M in Valencia Orange, this was an older Minichamps release where only the doors can be opened (and I thought things couldn’t get worse….). In any case, I am so glad I bought this car when it was widely available. I blacked out the chrome window trim and grilles, as well as adding some detailing in the headlights. The proportion and quality on this is acceptable, with the exception of wrongly-replicated taillight and the slight paint rashes after a few years. Luckily some Meguiars compound and elbow grease took care 95% of the paint issues.

Last, is the newly-added M2 competition. This is also a Minichamps and it is a 100% sealed model. At least compared to the sealed resin, the front wheels are steerable, and the side windows are cast instead of the thin plastic sheet. I bought this one because I like the subject matter and decided to go with a more low-key white. There are some flaws in the 1:18. First, the cast clear parts (windows) are wavy. Second, there is not enough detailing on the headlights, but I am leaving it alone for now. Third, the opper outside corners of the grilles are inaccurately shaped. Fourth and most, because this car is sealed, it looks like a ‘toy’ instead of a proper miniatures. So I decided to black-lined the panel gaps. Giving the illusion of panel separations. This was a PAIN to do on this car as some of the gaps are very shallow and I cannot get the paint to stay. Hence you will see the bottom of the doors are not lined out. Regardless, to me the positives outweigh the negatives, so I am happy to have this.

Generally the M2 is the ‘prettier’ car compared to the 1M, but strangely I am far more attracted to the 1M (both in real life and 1:18). Its awkwardness has become it’s charm in a big way! The 1M looks like a purpose-built track car! That being said I have to give BMW credit to making the new 2-series design more fluid within the compact envelope, and wouldn’t say no to owning an M2 one day.

OK enough words… On to the pictures:

First, a homage to the original compact performance 2-door sedan: the 2002.

Posted ImageIMG_1464 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1467 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1468 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1470 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1493 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1474 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1471 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1475 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1476 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1477 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1478 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1479 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1480 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1481 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1472 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1489 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1488 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1490 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1492 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1483 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1482 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1487 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1486 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1485 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1484 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1465 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1461 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_1473 by tanayast, on Flickr

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11482 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

Great write up and nice indoor pics Stefanus!! :eusa_clap:

I personally feel like the M2 is the 'realist' BMW as far as thrilling ans engaging for the driver. :eusa_clap: :yahoo: I'd love one! Cheers! :occasion14:

Sorry for the late reply, as you know that my main computer crashed the other day, so I have been using my older one to until the main one come out of the shop! :gaah:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1699 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Dave.
Hope you can get the computer fixed ASAP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.