1:18 Norev Mercedes-Benz W123 - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 Norev Mercedes-Benz W123

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Few things in life say sense and sobriety like an E-Class Mercedes, which for decades has merged conservative design with cutting edge technology. Along its distinguished time line, few E-Classes are loved and respected as much as the W123, Mercedes’ mid-range saloon, coupe and estate offering from 1976 to 1984. While never officially designated an E-Class, it remains true to the series’ values of reliability, durability, comfort and safety; core qualities that ensured it was as effective at being an executive express in some countries as it was at being a dependable Taxi in others. Over the years, the W123’s reliability and durability has been proven over and again; today, 35 years after production ended, many W123s are still providing useful service while roaming some of the world’s most demanding environments, where it often faces extreme temperatures, awful roads and hostile terrains.

Hoping for an easier life on a shelf somewhere in sleepy suburbia, is Norev’s 1:18 W123, which was announced last year. It’s currently available in ‘Wedding car white’ and blue, while I’ve seen a pic suggesting red will come, too. There’s no badge on the back, but on the box, it’s labeled a 200, yet - interestingly - the chassis plate says it’s a 200-280. Either this means Norev’s helping you keep your options open (as, visually, it could be a 200, 230 or a 280), or a 280 is on its way. The engine isn’t especially interesting and it’s a plate rather than a separate part, but the bay has OK details and a few decals.

Whatever cc the engine may be, the shape is very good indeed, and, like all Norevs, the detailing is to a high standard, with good paint, nicely picked out details and impressive lights. I’m not sure about the front lights’ shape though; the fog lights (the inner ones) contrast heavily with their background, so you can see that they’re round; on the 1:1, the light units look like a rectangle next to a square; here, it’s a rectangle next to a circle. Hmm. The grill at the front isn’t perforated, but the three pointed star is really nicely done. Wheel-wise, would it have looked better wearing a set of period-correct Mercedes ‘Mexican Hat’ alloys? Probably, but I think the ornate-yet-subtle wheel trims are more in keeping with the car’s subdued manner.

The tyres (unbranded) have good tread detail on them. They still have that weird is-it-plastic-is-it-rubber feel that you get with some other Norevs. The steering turns of course, and the suspension works. The chassis isn’t that interesting, with parts like the gearbox and prop shaft all being moulded into it. Weight-wise, this W123 is neither heavy nor light, but the weight seems heavily biased to the rear.

The interior on the white car is, as you can see, black. The blue car has the nicer tan interior. All in here is pretty much OK, except for Norev’s strange on-going penchant for replicating its Mercedes seats in a near bolt-upright position; if anything, the black hides this unnatural position better than the tan seats. Interestingly, the Merc is a manual (just like Revell’s W123...), which odd given how many W123s were autos. The steering wheel could be better; the spokes are too short, so the relationship between the wheel rim and the boss is a bit odd because the rim is too close to the boss. The front seat bases seem to sit a bit too low, too. There are rear seatbelts, but no buckles. There is full carpeting (and in the boot, as well), and there are some nice chrome touches for things like the door release latches, door catches, at the base of the armrests and around the air duct surrounds. Also nice, is the little + symbol on the first aid kit's cover. The roof lining is OK, with integrated sun visors.

Overall, I can’t fault how parts are attached or trim has been painted. It feels - appropriately for a W123 - really solid. My only concern is that the track of the rear wheels looks too wide - the rear wheels should be inset slightly more.

Diecast-wise - and just like the 1:1 - this is a safe and sober buy, and represents a great value way to get this lovely ‘Mercedes-of-all-Mercedes’ into your collection.

Attached File  m1.jpg   60.85K   0 downloads

.Attached File  m2.jpg   45.08K   0 downloads

Attached File  m3.jpg   98.11K   0 downloads.

Attached File  m4.jpg   59.86K   0 downloads.

Attached File  m5.jpg   70.58K   0 downloads.

Attached File  m7.jpg   71.08K   1 downloads

Attached File  m8.jpg   75.42K   1 downloads.

.Attached File  m10.jpg   104.14K   1 downloads

Edited by Scuddy, 16 May 2020 - 01:44 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4695 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

Very good review, this is a subject that obviously means a lot to you!
I'm going to wait for the anthracite, I don't remember too many of the earlier Mrec's in white (apart of course on wedding cars).
I DO remember lots of them in black - for the other end of the spectrum....

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

thanks very much, mate! I do have a soft spot for them. I think it will look terrific in anthracite; hopefully some nice metallic greens and blues will follow, too.

based on this one, will deffo get the estate now, too :-)

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2447 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for getting these pics up so quickly Scud.

The rear doors and boot opens! This is coming from a Revell W123 owner for many years haha.

The model is :drool5: :drool5:  And the wagon model is confirmed in the work as well? As for choosing the colour i would opt for green but i think green would go rather well with wagon so maybe i would aim for a blue saloon and green wagon.. if they release those colours for saloon/wagon.

#5 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

no worries, Jazzy!

Estate in green you say? I think you'll like this ;-)

https://www.carmodel...123-1982/133380

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2447 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:44 AM

Dang Scud.. now im hooked haha. Alright time to save up money and perhaps also to shave off one or two things off my ever expanding wish list.

#7 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

lol, tell me about it :-)))

#8 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4695 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

I can easily see a German plod version of the estate.....
Also, I hadn't noticed this before:
https://www.littlebo...duct-27034.html

#9 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:16 AM

a 450 S123? I'm not sure I was aware of that.

Deffo agree about the German Police car. That would be ace :-)

#10 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1874 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:02 AM

W123. . . Dream car of every gastarbeiter. . .

#11 OFFLINE   jandro_f1

jandro_f1

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2062 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, Kyosho, Minichamps, Exoto, BBR, Spark, HPI
  • Proud Citizen of: cr

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

Nice car man. I agree with the wheels! Would have prefer the multispoke rims, that are used in the R107 SLs. The W123 is one of my favorite mercedes. I really get mad to see the 2 door version sealed! For me that's the most beautiful 2-door coupe of mercedes. It's elegant, timeless and sport, the design is just perfect. Near my work, there's always a 300CE turbodiesel coupe parked in dark blue. The best combo for that car with cream leather interior :drool5: . I will wait for the blue or the dark silver one.

#12 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

Very nice review and congrats on this model! :eusa_clap:  I pre-ordered blue, but I want to buy a cheap Norev 450SEL and change the wheels over. Growing up in the US, I rarely ever saw these wheels on W123s, instead it was mostly the "bunt" style alloy wheels. My friend & classmate Brad's dad had a black 230E and a 280ZX Turbo back in 1985. The 230E was black with tan interior, that's why I went for the Blue one(although, if white had tan, I would have went for that color over the French blue look).

I guess that grey metallic is coming, at which time I might sell my blue..but, I am waiting to see what the DE color will be. I also hope that the DE version has the "bunt" style wheels.

One particular thing, was it normal hat some EU/UK cars had the rear aerial/antenna up? Now, I like it, but I ask because in the US, they were all powered. Please let me know, I'm curious bout that point.  

Congrats again and AMAZINGLY wonderful pictures!! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#13 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:06 AM

thank you David. I try with my pics, but giving me a camera is like entrusting Dracula with the keys to a blood bank - it'll end in disaster :-)

I can't give you an answer on the aerial. My hunch - based on Mercedes of that era -  was that if you wanted an electric aerial, you had to pay for it. My W201 has one, and it was an option back then that the original owner specified.

I don't know why this car has it in the extended position... maybe for the Taxi versions that are planned, to show/reflect their comms needs?

#14 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1897 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:28 AM

Nice review and a nice model of a remarkable car! :10:
I do have a soft spot for the W123 too and for me personally this one in white creates nostalgic feelings:
My parents used to drive a white 230E for almost 2 decades and the whole family loved this car - sweet memories...
Only difference was that our 230E had aluminum „sports“ wheels.
Does anyone know where to get those in 1/18 for a wheel swap.

And yes, I will definitely get this beautiful white Norev for my own collection.  :rolleyes:

Edited by vulpex, 16 May 2020 - 07:31 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31350 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Nice looking model. I will probably add one at some point. I'm thinking maybe in Burgundy if they're making that colour?
I know that they are going to make a German Taxi wagon version. I'm quite interested in that, if they do a Polizei version I'll be all over it.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#16 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:52 PM

i'm also intrigued by the Taxi version as it's quite iconic, both as taxi and as a W123.

Also, Mercedes offered some choice options for the professional taxi driver. Norev could have included all/some of these:

1) reinforced front passenger seat (not sure how you’d replicate that in a 1:18)
2) aluminum scuff protectors added to the lower part of the passenger doors
3) thicker carpets
4) nicely integrated radio equipment into the centre console
5) Panic button near the steering wheel that would trigger the klaxon and flash the lights if the driver was in peril

There were probably some more Taxi-spec specific bits n pieces, but I don't know what they were.

Let's see what Norev's W123/S123 Taxi has :-)

Edited by Scuddy, 16 May 2020 - 01:58 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for reviewing this!
I have the white W123 by KK, I was gonna wait to buy the Norev instead but the pre-facelifted headlight won me over on the KK.
That being said, I wouldn't say no if I can find the Norev's at a good price!

#18 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

View Postvulpex, on 16 May 2020 - 07:28 AM, said:

I do have a soft spot for the W123 too and for me personally this one in white creates nostalgic feelings:
My parents used to drive a white 230E for almost 2 decades and the whole family loved this car - sweet memories...

And yes, I will definitely get this beautiful white Norev for my own collection.  :rolleyes:
Hi Dirk, I was thinking to buy a spare 450SEL 6.9 for the bunt wheels on my blue one when it arrives.

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:51 PM

View PostScuddy, on 16 May 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

thank you David. I try with my pics, but giving me a camera is like entrusting Dracula with the keys to a blood bank - it'll end in disaster :-)

I can't give you an answer on the aerial. My hunch - based on Mercedes of that era -  was that if you wanted an electric aerial, you had to pay for it. My W201 has one, and it was an option back then that the original owner specified.

I don't know why this car has it in the extended position... maybe for the Taxi versions that are planned, to show/reflect their comms needs?
You're Welcome Great Review!!!
When I get time, I'll look into the aerial situation. :occasion14:

#20 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1897 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostD N, on 18 May 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

View Postvulpex, on 16 May 2020 - 07:28 AM, said:

Hi Dirk, I was thinking to buy a spare 450SEL 6.9 for the bunt wheels on my blue one when it arrives.
Thanks David! I had a similar idea :occasion14:
I grabbed a cheap golden Norev 280CE - just for the wheel swap with my incoming white W123...

#21 OFFLINE   Yeow Yi Fan

Yeow Yi Fan

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 296 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: my

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:50 PM

My late-grandfather had this very similar specification, though we drive on the right here and his was an automatic.

His had the steelies and hub caps like this one. I remember the first feature that caught my attention was the boot-mounted hazard triangle. And then the dash. So much wood, so beautifully-crafted.

After he passed away, the car was simply neglected and left to dusts on the front porch with deflated tires.

As a kid, I liked the taxi versions of these Merc too. Only the peasants would ride in a Nissan Cedric/Gloria or Toyota Crown. :lol:

Edited by Yeow Yi Fan, 19 May 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4695 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostYeow Yi Fan, on 19 May 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

My late-grandfather had this very similar specification, though we drive on the right here and his was an automatic.

His had the steelies and hub caps like this one. I remember the first feature that caught my attention was the boot-mounted hazard triangle. And then the dash. So much wood, so beautifully-crafted.

After he passed away, the car was simply neglected and left to dusts on the front porch with deflated tires.

As a kid, I liked the taxi versions of these Merc too. Only the peasants would ride in a Nissan Cedric/Gloria or Toyota Crown. :lol:
Ha Ha.
We couldn't afford taxi's.
We used public transport!    :giggle:

#23 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2447 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

there is always a possibility that the public bus you ride on could be a Mercedes bus so technically you are still being chauffeured around in a Merc :giggle:

#24 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

There used to an advert to recruit bus drivers that went ‘you can tell your friends your company vehicle is a Mercedes Benz’

:-)

#25 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4695 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

View PostScuddy, on 21 May 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

There used to an advert to recruit bus drivers that went ‘you can tell your friends your company vehicle is a Mercedes Benz’

:-)
Like here in Ireland, public transport did not buy Mercedes Benz (at least not the big operators).
On the other hand our recent train purchases have used MTU engines, who have connections to Mercedes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.