W123 - Norev v Revell - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

W123 - Norev v Revell

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:19 AM

Super quick comparison between the two.

The Revell's shape is still pretty good. Obviously, in detail in lacks the finesse of the Norev, but then it must be a good 15 years older, so that's understandable; take a look at the detailed rubbing strip on the Norev v the unpainted one on the Revell. Interestingly though, the engine is separate part and I have to say it is much better than the Norev. Also, knowing that the Revell is a 2.3, we can now definitely say that the Norev is a 2.0 :-)

I still think the Revell is quite charming and not a bad effort at all given its age. Take a look and play spot the difference :-)

Attached File  c1.jpg   68.54K   2 downloads

.Attached File  c4.jpg   71.66K   3 downloads

Attached File  c7.jpg   64.66K   2 downloads.

Attached File  c2.jpg   71.62K   3 downloads.

Attached File  c11.jpg   65.16K   1 downloads.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5514 posts
  • Number of Models:110-120
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, older Autoart and UT, Cult, Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:50 PM

These comparisons are always very helpful :eusa_clap:
The Norev looks a lot better this time, because of the wheels.  But there are some Mercedes that I'd rather have the Revell of: 300SE Heckflosse, 450 SEL, couple others maybe - the Revells have a better stance and shape, the Norevs sit too high in the front.

#3 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1894 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:09 AM

I would clearly vote for the Norev too.
Mainly because of the 2nd picture - the face of the Revell if completely off:
The grill isn’t right and the headlights are by far too big.

My parents used to drive a W123 for almost 20 years and the Norev looks 100% like the real thing. :10:

Thanks for sharing!

#4 ONLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:24 AM

This is so fun to look at! :eusa_clap: I also had thought to do the same with my Revell Vs. Norev 450SEL 6.9s.. My Revell 230E is stored deeply away in the US or here in Europe somewhere??? :dunno:
It's good to see that Norev have given late bloomers a chance at a W123 E-Klasse! however, they could have done different wheels or even a US Spec..perhaps they still will do so, like they had done with the R107 SL?
Let's keep our fingers crossed! :occasion14:

Posted Image

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#5 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

I love the antennae on the Norev version ! :occasion14:

#6 OFFLINE   ttgxc

ttgxc

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 309 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Minichamps, Otto-Models, BoS

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the comparison. I was wondering if it would be worth replacing my Revell model with the Norev. I think so!

#7 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 922 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:09 PM

Fascinating comparison of one of the most eagerly awaited models for Mercedes-Benz collectors in 1/18.

For years, the Revell W123 has been the standard bearer for this most popular Mercedes-Benz from the mid 1970s to 1980s, often commanding very high prices. Then came a brace of sealed W123 280CE Coupes in a variety of colours from Ottomobile then Norev. Very nice looking too, but for me, the saloon was the car I remembered and was looking for. Then Ottomobile made the AMG 280E saloon, a car I've never seen in real life and we had to wait for Cult Scale models to make a 280E regular saloon but it was quite pricey at over £150 for a sealed model. And then recently KK scale released their more affordable (but still sealed) 280E in a few colours, two of which have the incorrect headlights for a 280E.

So when Norevs new W123 was released I was delighted to see it was a full 360 access model which would look just perfect alongside their contempary W116 450SEL 6.9. It's clearly a late model 200 from the headlights and the shape of the air intake in the engine bay indicates it's the four cylinder car, so correct in those details. I was hoping for the more desirable top of the W123 range 280E (not in AMG black trim though) but you can't have everything.

One small detail I have noticed is the subtle slant of the headlights down towards the grill from the wings. The only model that has captured this looks to be the Ottomobile which you can see in the pictorial review below (credits to tanayast for the pictures) but as above, it's not a version of a W123 I've ever liked.
https://www.diecastx...4-grey-by-otto/

From your pictures the Norev is clearly superior to the older Revell, but as you say, for it's age, the Revell holds it's appeal very well, and is only significantly less appealing for the sealed rear doors. How refreshing to see Norev making yet another beautiful model at a reasonable price in a variety of colours (and as mentioned above, the radio ariel is a nice touch showing Norev understands the hobby). The W123 has always been a very appealing car from Mercede-Benz. I've been attracted to this car since I was a boy. Alas, I've blown my budget model cars these past two months so if you could, please can you show more detailed pictures for me to enjoy?

Edited by kitefighter, 26 June 2020 - 08:25 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2297 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:49 AM

Hello Kitefighter. I’m thrilled that you’re enjoying this terrific W123 diecast. I added a review with some more pics here;

https://www.diecastx...edes-benz-w123/

My pics are never the best, so pls look out for pics from the other guys here who are buying the W123. If you have any questions about Norev’s W123, I’m happy to answer them :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.