Classic Mercedes E class Coupe and Saloon. Featuring W115 and W123 - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Classic Mercedes E class Coupe and Saloon. Featuring W115 and W123

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2339 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

Thanks to Scuddy's recent enthusiastic posts of his most recent acquisition a brand new Norev's W123. That inspires me to revisit some of my old E classes and snap some photos of them while I am at it.  

Let's begin with the W115 series. Both made by Sunstar under platinum range so they are packed with more details compares to the ordinary Sunstar. Both come with some nifty little features such as spring loaded sunroof that can be slide back and adjustable sun shade. I suppose the coolest bit from the platinum range is the reproduced sale brochure. Yet I still yearn for an Autoart W115. I was being dumb for not buying one that was under $100 few years ago just because it was missing a side mirror. :gaah:

Posted ImageUntitled by jazzy426, on Flickr

Following generation the W123 series. I have a Revell like most others and a sealed coupe made by Norev a while back.

Edited by jazzy426, 16 May 2020 - 01:08 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12100 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

I really like the W123 coupe version. There is one I pass to work, a bit rough, but it is gold and I love the look. I wouldn't mind adding a model version.
The Lonesharks Volvo follow on Instagram

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2207 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 16 May 2020 - 03:32 PM

good lad! this is a brilliant photographic comparison, mate - love stuff like this. Smitten by the CE from Norev; such a dignified looking car :-)

#4 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1692 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

Lovely colors on those W123! :occasion14:

#5 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:31 PM

View Postpreisman, on 16 May 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

I really like the W123 coupe version. There is one I pass to work, a bit rough, but it is gold and I love the look. I wouldn't mind adding a model version.

Agreed i too think the coupe looks ace. I will probably say the same about the previous gen coupe as well both look elegant yet sporty. When these were first released they came in two flavours, silver or gold. Wanted gold but shop ran out so had to settle for silver then a week or two later they restocked it. :mad2:  But silver always looks good on merc anyway just that I thought I have far too many silver Mercs LOL.

View PostScuddy, on 16 May 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

good lad! this is a brilliant photographic comparison, mate - love stuff like this. Smitten by the CE from Norev; such a dignified looking car :-)

Thanks Scud! I love the look of the CE. Remind me of the 500 SLC by Ricko. I should have bought one for cheap when I had a chance :(

View Posttanayast, on 16 May 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Lovely colors on those W123! :occasion14:

Thanks! Those are the defacto colour schemes for Mercedes so suit them very well naturally  :rolleyes:  I do like to venture into bolder and wilder colours.. green, blue and so on.. those period correct colours that represents the 70s haha

#6 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:22 AM

Excellent photography and models. Sunstar made some very nice pieces, lots of details for the collector and I enjoy looking at them online. Not the same quality as AUTOArt (yes, many of missed out not realising models would become less detailed in the future) but more affordable and with more interesting colours in my view.

The W123 front treatment is very difficult to capture and the dear old Revell whilst having a lot of charm, is shown up here next to your gorgeous Norev coupe. The W123 saloon is now available by other model makers and it would be interesting to see them compared one day.

Thanks for sharing and generating an interesting thread. Which is your personal favourite of the 4? I pick the Sunstar Saloon, particularly in that period correct Mercedes-Benz colour.

#7 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:47 AM

View Postkitefighter, on 19 May 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

Excellent photography and models. Sunstar made some very nice pieces, lots of details for the collector and I enjoy looking at them online. Not the same quality as AUTOArt (yes, many of missed out not realising models would become less detailed in the future) but more affordable and with more interesting colours in my view.

The W123 front treatment is very difficult to capture and the dear old Revell whilst having a lot of charm, is shown up here next to your gorgeous Norev coupe. The W123 saloon is now available by other model makers and it would be interesting to see them compared one day.

Thanks for sharing and generating an interesting thread. Which is your personal favourite of the 4? I pick the Sunstar Saloon, particularly in that period correct Mercedes-Benz colour.
Thanks! :occasion14:
Totally agree that Sunstar made awesome models although compared to premium makers such as AUTOart and Kyosho they are still second grade i.e. Lotus Elan, Lancia Stratos etc. Despite not being the best those old Sunstar can still rivals the modern day models easily.

Scuddy did an awesome comparison between Revell and Norev's new W123 release definitely worth a read if you haven't. I think my top favourite among the 4 is the maroon W115 saloon. Partly because that was my first Merc purchase on eBay for just 20 bucks in almost MIB condition and that inspired me to collect more and now i have a shelf full of Mercedes saloon cars LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.