Hi from Down Under - DX Welcome and/or "Exit Stage Left" - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Hi from Down Under

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whichever looks the most realistic
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

Hi all, I've been enjoying reading some of the forum as a guest for a while now, so thought it's time to join up!  I'm from Australia, and have a modest collection of mostly 1:18's with no particular theme, I usually buy what I like the look of or something that has appealed for a long time as a 1:1.  I have a coupe of old Exotos, CMC's, Autoarts, Kyoshos, Sparks, Biantes/Classic Carlectables (for the models of local road and race cars), plus I've still got quite a few old Matchbox Yesteryears in their boxes and lots of Matchbox, Tomica, Hot Wheels, Corgi's etc.... from when i was a young lad.  I don't trade or sell, just accumulate slowly (collecting 1:43's would have been easier space-wise......).  I like the generally friendly nature of this forum and hope to be able to add something of value as time goes on.  Cheers!

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3646 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:53 PM

G'Day Sam,

Fellow collector here in Melbourne. Welcome!

Sounds like you have a very extensive and varied collection - it would be great when you get a chance to post some photos.

There is extensive knowledge available on this forum and it's members, never be afraid to ask for anything regarding our mutual hobby

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome Simondc07, yes I might get around to posting a few pics, I'll have to check out the pic hosting requirements when i get a spare sec!  Yes there are lots of resources on here, I'm enjoying reading about some of the customs and upgrades that members to to improve their models.  I'm also trying to finish a couple of plastic model kits but time is very limited for the foreseeable future, and have an Autoart model that I need to repair so I'll try to pick the brains of those more experienced to assist with that.  The current market is a bit challenging for collecting at the moment in Oz, prices are high, the exchange rate is rubbish and I'm lamenting the demise of opening models at reasonable prices, but I'm not alone there.  I look at some models I've had for a few years (AUTOart McLaren F1, Kyosho 250 GTO and F40, AUTOart Veyron, AUTOart Jag D-Type etc...) and I can't believe the prices being asked.  Still, new releases keep arriving to keep the interest on the boil, and there's something for everyone!

#4 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3646 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

Not wrong Sam. Sounds like you have some absolute gems, that yes, have become price prohibitive for most new collectors. Resin models for mine don't have the allure of a fully opening diecast equivilent, and the hobby is changing. Being in Australia too, sees me often limiting my purchases to domestic only to avoid exchange rate fluctuations and the absurd postal costs being quoted. Some of the domestic online actions are great and I picked up a massive winfall at Moss Green Auctions a couple of years ago, before they went bust.

With Covid 19, I think there will be more price sensitivity and people's spending habits will change. I have even considered occassionally shoping at pawn shops for my diecast fix.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   LAFerrari

LAFerrari

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1189 posts
  • Interests:Cars,movies,audio&video,travel.
  • Number of Models:100
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt,BBR,FrontiArt,Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: se

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:43 PM

Welcome to DX, samx5 :welcome: .
From Sweden.

#6 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12100 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:57 PM

Welcome Sam, currently from Texas, used to live in Australia for a while. It is tough collecting out there, but was able to build up my Biante and Classic Carlectables. Now it is tough to get those. I bought a Holden over two months ago and only passed through customs yesterday. Nuts sometimes how long it takes to send/receive models while in Australia. Hope you share your collection soon. I am in the same boat collecting anything and everything that is interesting.

Cheers, Jon
The Lonesharks Volvo follow on Instagram

#7 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

View PostLAFerrari, on 18 May 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

Welcome to DX, samx5 :welcome: .
From Sweden.

Thanks LaFerrari!

#8 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:44 PM

View Postpreisman, on 18 May 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

Welcome Sam, currently from Texas, used to live in Australia for a while. It is tough collecting out there, but was able to build up my Biante and Classic Carlectables. Now it is tough to get those. I bought a Holden over two months ago and only passed through customs yesterday. Nuts sometimes how long it takes to send/receive models while in Australia. Hope you share your collection soon. I am in the same boat collecting anything and everything that is interesting.

Cheers, Jon
Thanks for the welcome Jon, I have some Australian friends who now live in Dallas, there you go!  Yes I think deliveries are taking a long time at the moment, I very rarely buy from overseas unless the exchange rate is stellar.  A few years ago the $A was at parity or better with $US, now we can only buy around $0.60c.  Still, could be worse!

#9 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12140 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

Welcome from the land of Sheffield Steel,England. :yahoo: :danke:

#10 OFFLINE   AJG185

AJG185

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 478 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart Kyosho Norev Minichamps
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:37 AM

Welcome to DX.

From Massachusetts, U.S.A. :danke:

#11 OFFLINE   adamprosenberg

adamprosenberg

• DX Community
  • 14 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, AutoArt, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to DX samx5 from Toronto.

Look forward to seeing some of your collection!

Adam

#12 OFFLINE   aBelga_v2

aBelga_v2

• DX Community
  • 53 posts
  • Number of Models:4
  • Favorite Brands:Norev, GT Autos
  • Proud Citizen of: uk

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to DX from Cardiff, Wales. I haven't been a member for long myself, but I'm sure the guys with more experience are more than happy to help you out just like they did with me :)

If you are interested in my 1/18 collection, feel free to click the link below  :rolleyes:

https://www.diecastx...118-collection/

#13 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1681 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

Welcome to DX, Sam! :welcome:
From Germany.

W.r.t. Carlectables & Holden I am still dreaming of getting my hands on an EFIJY without paint issues.
Not realistic, I know, but you need to have dreams... :nice:

#14 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone.  I'll put a few pics up when I get myself organised.

#15 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

View Postvulpex, on 19 May 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

From Germany.

W.r.t. Carlectables & Holden I am still dreaming of getting my hands on an EFIJY without paint issues.
Hi Vulpex, yes the Efigy is a desirable model, that's for sure.  I see them pop up occasionally for around AU$800, way too much for me to consider so I don't have one, however I've seen the real car close up a couple of times.  It's stunning and unique, a fully functioning hotrod made by real enthusiasts in their own time.  Sadly a lot of those GM staff have probably lost their jobs now, with GM/Holden pulling out of Australia.

#16 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2136 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:23 AM

Gday Sam,

Fellow collector based on the Gold Coast, Queensland

Welcome to DX mate, there are a few of us Aussie's on here, so feel free to ask anyone for help or advise. All the members on here are very friendly and even though we are spread all around the world, we all share the same passion

And in case you don't know, I have a YouTube channel called 'RobsModelCars'

Cheers, Rob

#17 OFFLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1494 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:40 AM

Hey Sam welcome aboard.

Another Aussie here,. Also based in the GC.

#18 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1681 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:18 PM

View Postsamx5, on 19 May 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

From Germany.

Hi Vulpex, yes the Efigy is a desirable model, that's for sure.  I see them pop up occasionally for around AU$800, way too much for me to consider so I don't have one, however I've seen the real car close up a couple of times.  It's stunning and unique, a fully functioning hotrod made by real enthusiasts in their own time.  Sadly a lot of those GM staff have probably lost their jobs now, with GM/Holden pulling out of Australia.
Yes, it’s a gorgeous car and the model looks amazing.
Unfortunately the model is very rare and prices are crazy. But even worse most occasions you can find from time to time on eBay show serious paint issues - which are completely neglected by the price quote of course... :gaah:

#19 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

View Postvulpex, on 20 May 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

View Postsamx5, on 19 May 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

From Germany.

Yes, it’s a gorgeous car and the model looks amazing.
Unfortunately the model is very rare and prices are crazy. But even worse most occasions you can find from time to time on eBay show serious paint issues - which are completely neglected by the price quote of course... :gaah:
I know what you are saying.  They made 6,600 of them so they are not incredibly rare as such, but 95% of them are probably sitting in homes in Australia with people that don't want to sell them, so it's very hard to get one unless it's from speculators flipping the remaining 5% at an inflated price.  Also, they were made 13 years ago so some may not have been looked after in cabinets and may have changed hands a few times by now.  You'll get one eventually!

View Postlooney, on 20 May 2020 - 03:40 AM, said:

Hey Sam welcome aboard.

Another Aussie here,. Also based in the GC.
Thaks mate!

View PostROBSMC, on 20 May 2020 - 03:23 AM, said:

Gday Sam,

Fellow collector based on the Gold Coast, Queensland

Welcome to DX mate, there are a few of us Aussie's on here, so feel free to ask anyone for help or advise. All the members on here are very friendly and even though we are spread all around the world, we all share the same passion

And in case you don't know, I have a YouTube channel called 'RobsModelCars'

Cheers, Rob
Thanks Rob, yes I've watched some of your videos and have followed a couple of your builds, you have an awesome collection (and how do you get the time to do these builds.......I'm scratching for spare minutes, let alone hours!)  Actually, I'm after your opinion, which 1:18 Ferrari 288 GTO should I get that is the most accurate/detailed?  I've never found one that I liked, and I only have a cheap 1:43 at the moment.  Cheers

#20 OFFLINE   DarrenTheMCC

DarrenTheMCC

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:1:18 Scale Bathurst Winning Holden's
    1:18 Scale Aston Martins
    1:18 Scale Mark Skaife V8 Supercars _3 more to go
    1:43 Mark Webber Formula 1 Cars (Half way there!!)
  • Number of Models:Last count 324
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, biante, bburago, Classic Carlectables and others

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:44 PM

Hi Sam

Welcome to DX

I look forward to seeing your collection.

I see you have met some fellow Aussies.  They are great guys.  Some great knowledge & wisdom there!

From another Aussie in Melbourne

Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.