1/18 Fourth Generation 2005 Toyota Crown Majesta (HongQi HQ430)..by Toyota Authorized Factory - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1/18 Fourth Generation 2005 Toyota Crown Majesta (HongQi HQ430)..by Toyota Authorized Factory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:58 PM

For 15 years, I have had this most amazingly detailed and outstandingly built fully opening diecast model. As you can tell by this introduction it's also one of my favorite diecast models..in my Top 5 for sure with my 1994 Kyosho Supra(s) and Crown Royal.
I had always been such a huge fan of Toyotas Crowns once I learned of them in the early mid-80s as a child.  That said, other than the highest Toyota Century (which was reserved for the Royals and most upper crust society in Japan), the Crown was kinda' like Japan's Cadillac, the UK's Rolls Royce and Germany's Mercedes S-Klasse at the time. Long before Lexus and the LS was a thing, you were "The Man or Made Woman" when you owned a Toyota Crown. Evidently, that wasn't good enough for Toyota, because in 1991, they released their first ever Crown Majesta which was a platform partner to the Celsior (which was also sold as the 1st Lexus LS400). The rest of the Crown lines were still called "Royal" or now a step down luxury model from Majesta (Which was now both a different design and remained a slightly smaller package) and the Toyota "Crown Comfort" for the duty versions like Taxis' and Police or used for other official or commercial duties.

The model featured here in a Chinese market Crown Majesta labeled as the "HongQi HQ430" there (sans any Toyota badging) The Chinese version which is a left hand drive version of the fourth generation Toyota Crown Majesta debuted there in 2005. Sadly, Toyota Japan or mainstream model companies didn't think that it was important to do this jewel of an automobile from Toyota's Crown(oops, no pun intended..just came out that way in my head). Luckily and surprisingly, FAW-Toyota China themselves started commissioning a 1/18th scale fully opening and highly accurately detailed model. Anyway, companies like Ignition Models found gold in releasing 1/18th resins of cars like this in VIP(Bippu) lowrider luxury style more than a decade later.

The level of detail and production that went into building this model 15 years ago rivals current Chinese made Dealer Editions in 2020 and blows away many current mainstream models today. The detail that stands out most to me, are the chromed inner fender wells inserts. I love that they are a separate part and that are chromed like on the 1/1 as well as chromed inserted side/bumper trim. Then the next neat feature is the "bosses' footrest which is achieved as the the front passenger seat is opened down to become a footrest for the owner/boss/passenger in the rear behind that seat. It's replicated on this model. Also, their is a fully motor (2005 here, no cheating), metal chassis, hood/bonnet with support struts, tilting moonroof with inner sliding shade, photo-etched badging, opening fuel door, lift out rear load floor with full sized spare tire and tools as well as working suspension.

I've always been a self proclaimed and told by my good friends that I am a "Japanophile" car and pop-culture wise. That said, this was a gem that I couldn't look past 15 years ago and it's still as magnificent of a model today. I love it and grateful that I actually own one. It's ultra rare.

Cheers!

Begin...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opened Up!...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy Your Weekend.... Thanks for Looking and Cheers! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:06 PM

Lovely model David. Looks spectacular in black with silver trimming. I am not very familiar with the car but can definitely see the influence on or from the similar period Camry and Lexus LS. I love the fact that the passenger side front seat can be folded down for backseat passenger to put the legs through and rest on. I think i first saw this cool feature in a Toyota Century or the Hyundai Equus?

Edited by jazzy426, 21 May 2020 - 11:07 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 21 May 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

Lovely model David. Looks spectacular in black with silver trimming. I am not very familiar with the car but can definitely see the influence on or from the similar period Camry and Lexus LS. I love the fact that the passenger side front seat can be folded down for backseat passenger to put the legs through and rest on. I think i first saw this cool feature in a Toyota Century or the Hyundai Equus?
Thanks Jazzy! :danke: It's truly one of my favorite model cars and I Love how ostentatious it was for it's time. More luxurious than the LS400 for sure, but just a step under the Century :drool5:
I think that both the Century and later the Equus had that feature in their home markets for sure. I'm glad that you liked this post!! CHEERS! :occasion14:

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:05 PM

Amazing details on this one!
Love the passenger side seat back that flips open to accommodate the rear passenger stretching his / her legs while being chauffeured.

Models like these makes me miss the "good ol' days" where full opening diecast is the norm.

Great pics and review. Thanks Dave !! :occasion14:

#5 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:26 PM

View Posttanayast, on 22 May 2020 - 04:05 PM, said:

Amazing details on this one!
Love the passenger side seat back that flips open to accommodate the rear passenger stretching his / her legs while being chauffeured.

Models like these makes me miss the "good ol' days" where full opening diecast is the norm.

Great pics and review. Thanks Dave !! :occasion14:
Thanks Stefanus!  It's really a gem of a model, They don't build them like this anymore sadly. It feels like the highest quality Kyosho, but heavier (due to the metal chassis).
The didn't miss a detail including that seat back footrest function :eusa_clap:
Stefanus, I miss the good ole days of modeling in general..not only have prices skyrocketed, but the quality and lack of true detail by some once AMAZING companies sours the hobby on me a bit.  :rolleyes:
Glad that the Chinese stepped in and gave us something to look forward to model wise. :occasion14:

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

You are absolutely right David those full opening models with intricate details days are truly well over. The best we can look forward to nowadays are static models that hardly ever roll LOL. This Toyota Crown does remind me of the Kyosho of old especially the black Audi A8. You mentioned the LS400 that happens to by my all time favourite full size saloon car next to W140 S class. I had two of them in white made by Road Tough but got rid of them later for being too crude and I didn't think I am skillful enough to customise them. Perhaps a black one might be okay as that will hide most of the visible flaws on the model. A resin model of it is being made from I gathered but I think that is going to be super expensive.

Edited by jazzy426, 24 May 2020 - 05:20 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

View Postjazzy426, on 24 May 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

You are absolutely right David those full opening models with intricate details days are truly well over. The best we can look forward to nowadays are static models that hardly ever roll LOL. This Toyota Crown does remind me of the Kyosho of old especially the black Audi A8. You mentioned the LS400 that happens to by my all time favourite full size saloon car next to W140 S class. I had two of them in white made by Road Tough but got rid of them later for being too crude and I didn't think I am skillful enough to customise them. Perhaps a black one might be okay as that will hide most of the visible flaws on the model. A resin model of it is being made from I gathered but I think that is going to be super expensive.
Hey Jazzy, thanks! Yeah, you hit on the head, old Kyoshos like the old 2005 Audi A8L were just incredible!!! this feels similar, but even more solid and well built. It's difficult to explain unless you have held one.
I loved my Rough Tough Lexus LS400 and early 90s Land Cruiser. Yeah, just a few details and you could get that one to look correct. In fact, from time to time, I look online for a black one. I painted my green back in college during the 90s, but it was a crappy rushed paint job..That Resin one that has been popping up, seems like a 1/24th Tamiya scaled up. I'd pass, it's too much IMO. :occasion14:

#8 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:43 AM

Totally the old diecast such as the one made by Kyosho feels solid in your hand and packed full of intricate details. I kinda regret not getting the Audi A8L now when it was being offered for just $70 a while back :gaah:
I also happened to have the Land Cruiser from Road Tough but missing wipers. I ended up using the rear wiper as donor for an Autoart MR-S and used it as deal sweetener for a diecast bundle i was selling LOL. Come and think of it they can still serve as good base for extensive customisation but lack of window frames and the wide panel gaps especially on the working doors are hard to rectify. You are right about the resin looks almost like the scaled up 1/24 plastic kit. The hefty price tag is probably just aims at big time JDM collectors. But who knows maybe one of the budget model makers might attempt one in the near future then I will really be interested  :nice:

#9 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:31 PM

View Postjazzy426, on 25 May 2020 - 02:43 AM, said:

Totally the old diecast such as the one made by Kyosho feels solid in your hand and packed full of intricate details. I kinda regret not getting the Audi A8L now when it was being offered for just $70 a while back :gaah:
I also happened to have the Land Cruiser from Road Tough but missing wipers. I ended up using the rear wiper as donor for an Autoart MR-S and used it as deal sweetener for a diecast bundle i was selling LOL. Come and think of it they can still serve as good base for extensive customisation but lack of window frames and the wide panel gaps especially on the working doors are hard to rectify. You are right about the resin looks almost like the scaled up 1/24 plastic kit. The hefty price tag is probably just aims at big time JDM collectors. But who knows maybe one of the budget model makers might attempt one in the near future then I will really be interested  :nice:
I agree! If a budget resin comes available, then I'd like to see one in my collection, but I'd prefer to see an opening diecast metal, but in high detail!! :yahoo:

#10 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

D N, on 25 May 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

jazzy426, on 25 May 2020 - 02:43 AM, said:

I agree! If a budget resin comes available, then I'd like to see one in my collection, but I'd prefer to see an opening diecast metal, but in high detail!! :yahoo:
Same here. Don't feel right parting couple hundreds for a resin block to be honest and in a way it is like getting upsized 1/43 anyway. And speaking of 1/43 i did find a rather neat looking Celsior by Ebbro but the sellers want well over $100. Who knows maybe it is being rare and Ebbro tends to command top dollars I noticed.

#11 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11545 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

View Postjazzy426, on 28 May 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

View PostD N, on 25 May 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

View Postjazzy426, on 25 May 2020 - 02:43 AM, said:

Same here. Don't feel right parting couple hundreds for a resin block to be honest and in a way it is like getting upsized 1/43 anyway. And speaking of 1/43 i did find a rather neat looking Celsior by Ebbro but the sellers want well over $100. Who knows maybe it is being rare and Ebbro tends to command top dollars I noticed.
Hi Simon! I really used to be a diehard Ebbro collector, however, not sure if a friend of mine sent all of my 1/43rds or still left them in my US storage units? Either way, I noticed a bunch of missing Honda Sedans/Fairlady 350Z G-Nose and Supras missing from my partial move shipment to Europe? :dunno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.