Bugatti Chiron 18/3 by AutoArt - Bugatti - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Bugatti Chiron 18/3 by AutoArt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5459 posts
  • Number of Models:100-110
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Autoart, UT, Cult, Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:39 PM

First photoshoot that I've done in a while.  This has always been a favorite of mine - the 1999 Bugatti Chiron 18/3 concept.

In the 1990s, leading up to the production of the Veyron, Giorgetto Giugiaro and his son, Fabrizio, designed a few other cars for the again-revived Bugatti that just narrowly missed out on production: the EB218 sedan, and the EB118 and Chiron coupes.  All of them were all-wheel drive, and powered by a 6.3 liter W18.  They all had luxurious interiors, and design cues inside and out that both looked back at Bugatti's history, as well as previewed the production Veyron and Chiron.  This Chiron especially recalls the Type 32 and the Type 57G Tank.  In this proposed lineup for Bugatti, it would've been the halfway point between the supercar Veyron and the front-engined, 2+2 EB118.

This was about the 3rd or 4th model that I ever bought, when I first started collecting.  It blew me away back then, and it's still one of my favorites.  The lush and sparkling blue paint, interior that's loaded with details, gorgeous wheels with special treaded tires, perfect brakes, and just the right amount of metallic finish to them...I've always said that this is one of the best models that AutoArt has ever made.  And I've always wished that they also would've made a 1:18 scale EB118 and EB218, when they made this.  But still, this together with the other AutoArt and CMC Bugattis...it doesn't get much better in 1:18.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 ONLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1697 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:03 AM

Hey Mike - good to see you posting photos again! :occasion14:

This is a great looking concept car and obviously a really good model by AUTOart!!
Looks amazing in your outdoor shots and shows great details like the grills and the Atlantic-style mirros! :coolpics:

Edited by vulpex, 23 May 2020 - 12:09 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2342 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

What a unique piece. :drool5:  The blue is stunning under the sun. Always love your unique collection which consist of many prototype/concept cars. i didn't actually know Autoart made 1/18 scale of this the one I came across before was the 1/43 one. The Chiron looks fabulous and looks great next to the Alfa, almost like the Italian cousin. I wonder if both were penned by the same designer or studio  :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3652 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

Spectacular line up Mike - concepts and classics, very hard to top. Alfas and Bugatti, very tasteful subjects indeed.

I had almost forgotten about this W18 beast. I agree this is a great model and rarely seen these days. This Chiron concept is much more in keeping with the classical Bugatti lines than the production Veyron and Chiron. In my eyes though the Alfa Romeo Scighera kills the Bugatti for sheer presence, though it lacks the Bugatti's elegance.

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Modern and classic cars
  • Number of Models:140
  • Favorite Brands:CMC & Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

I love this Chiron18/. From a time manufacturers made concept cars models in opening diecast form.
See my collection here
Instagram:
@stradale333

#6 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

Thanks everyone :occasion14:
Jazzy, ya, both the Scighera and the Chiron were designed by the Italdesign Giugiaro studio.  The Scighera was designed by Giorgetto Guigiaro, and the Chiron was designed by him and his son, Fabrizio - you can see the similarities between the two in the mirrors, headlights, etc. It really does have the elegant, Italian look, way more so than these newer Bugattis.  And yes, the 1:43 Autoart Bugattis!  I've always thought that if I ever start collecting 1:43s, the EB118 and EB218 will be first on the list...they're very tempting.

#7 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2342 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info Mike. Good to know about the design history behind these two gorgeous concept cars. Somehow they also remind me of the Nazca C2 designed by Italdesign. is Guigiaro from Italdesign?

I too would love to have these uber cool supercars in 1/43, be Autoart or the more affordable IXO/Altaya. I signed up for supercars partwork collection last year briefly but stopped after multiple delayed shipments from warehouse and the price increase was the last straw. And the collection wasn't all that great too because they concentrated only on the newest cars and completely neglected older cars and many of them were rehash of the same car but in different specs.

#8 OFFLINE   Maarten Mercedes

Maarten Mercedes

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, BOS, CMC, KK-scale, Norev, Ottomobile
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:26 AM

This is one of those 'good old AutoArts'. Extremely expensive back in the day, but they were incomparable. Funny how we are now used to pay 2 or 3 times those prices for new AutoArts.

I have this one as well and it is a real love it or hate it concept car. I am part of the first category :yahoo:

When I was 11 years old I saw this car in real life in Cité de l'Automobile in Mulhouse. Really impressive car, the shape, the colour, the history. I am really glad it exists in 1:18 :drool5:
Maarten
Posted Image
Flickr

#9 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:03 PM

Jazzy, yes, Giorgetto Giuigaro founded Italdesign in the 1960s, here's a list of cars that he designed: https://en.wikipedia...aro#Automobiles  So a lot of big names, and also some obscure concepts.  Some of the concepts like the Scighera, Nazca, Cala had both Italdesign badging as well as the Alfa, BMW, etc. badging.  And some of the cars that made production had a small Giugiaro badge somewhere - like on the Esprit S1, it's behind the front wheels.
Reminds me of how I added BMW badges (from AutoArt spares) to the Revell Nazca:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maarten, that's awesome that you saw the 1:1, and glad I'm not alone in that first category :yahoo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.