1:18 Jeep Wrangler "Willy's" by Maisto - DX Trucks | SUV | Haulers - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Jump to content


1:18 Jeep Wrangler "Willy's" by Maisto


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

I often enjoy buying budget 1:18 models that has that basic-honest-goodness, and even though not highly detailed ones like $150 diecast, it really captures the feel and essence of the real car.

Case in the point is this Maisto Jeep Wrangler JK “Willy’s”. At USD $14 at Costco, you can’t really beat the value. It’s not perfect but it has that basic and straight-forward feel of the real Wrangler.

I always like this car but felt that the Maisto version is “slumped”. So I did a small modifications on the suspension to give it a slight lift.

Not much to say or review here, just want to share some quick pictures:

Posted ImageIMG_2049 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2050 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2054 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2051 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2052 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2053 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2055 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2056 by tanayast, on Flickr

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

    Bronze Member

  • DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Europe
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:27 PM

Very neat review Stefanus! :eusa_clap: Ironically, the 1994 Jeep Wrangler project that I had done in college really lead to me being known as a designer at Chrysler Jeep, so I always liked Wranglers..but, I just realized that I don't have a 1/18th  :rolleyes:  Shame on me, as I have 1/43rd and 1/64ths of this version and older ones.
What you mentioned about the US big warehouse store pricing, really can put a smile on one's face! :twocents: Perhaps if we had this type of pricing here, then I would be willing to buy more "Bburaistos" :nice:
Congrats on this add! Cheers! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/


#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

Very neat review Stefanus! :eusa_clap: Ironically, the 1994 Jeep Wrangler project that I had done in college really lead to me being known as a designer at Chrysler Jeep, so I always liked Wranglers..but, I just realized that I don't have a 1/18th  :rolleyes:  Shame on me, as I have 1/43rd and 1/64ths of this version and older ones.
What you mentioned about the US big warehouse store pricing, really can put a smile on one's face! :twocents: Perhaps if we had this type of pricing here, then I would be willing to buy more "Bburaistos" :nice:
Congrats on this add! Cheers! :occasion14:

Thanks Dave! :occasion14:
So 94 is the squared-headlight Wrangler, right? I know the squared-headlights aren't popular among Jeep purist BUT I think they look good actually and very period-correct and hugely modernizing the look and feel of the CJ-7.
I am pretty glad we have Costco (or Sams) around here. At $14 you have nothing to loose. Honestly I screwed up the other Wrangler when doing the modification and now that unit becomes my daughter's toy :giggle:
Maisto is doing a pretty decent job on this Wrangler! It was just the slumped ride height annoyed me so much I had to give it a small lift.

#4 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

    Bronze Member

  • DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Europe
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

View Posttanayast, on 28 May 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

Very neat review Stefanus! :eusa_clap: Ironically, the 1994 Jeep Wrangler project that I had done in college really lead to me being known as a designer at Chrysler Jeep, so I always liked Wranglers..but, I just realized that I don't have a 1/18th  :rolleyes:  Shame on me, as I have 1/43rd and 1/64ths of this version and older ones.
What you mentioned about the US big warehouse store pricing, really can put a smile on one's face! :twocents: Perhaps if we had this type of pricing here, then I would be willing to buy more "Bburaistos" :nice:
Congrats on this add! Cheers! :occasion14:

Thanks Dave! :occasion14:
So 94 is the squared-headlight Wrangler, right? I know the squared-headlights aren't popular among Jeep purist BUT I think they look good actually and very period-correct and hugely modernizing the look and feel of the CJ-7.
I am pretty glad we have Costco (or Sams) around here. At $14 you have nothing to loose. Honestly I screwed up the other Wrangler when doing the modification and now that unit becomes my daughter's toy :giggle:
Maisto is doing a pretty decent job on this Wrangler! It was just the slumped ride height annoyed me so much I had to give it a small lift.
You're welcome Stefanus! :occasion14:
I think that the '94 Jeep did have the squared off headlights..but, we had to do future designs for 2007, so mine was 13 years into the future. That project and the future Supra designs that I had done during the 94-95 school year, lead me getting Intern offers from Ford, Chrysler and Toyota. I was encouraged to go with Toyota were I worked on a later production car for 2000 (I think you know which one based on my personal facebook posts).

Now, I am curious to what color is the color that you gave your daughter? I know that she is totally into model cars and am so glad to always see your posts with her and model cars :eusa_clap: :yahoo:
Now, your post has me looking at Maisto Jeeps here..LOL :giggle: I do that from time to time!! :occasion14:Cheers!

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/


#5 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:41 PM

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

View Posttanayast, on 28 May 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

Very neat review Stefanus! :eusa_clap: Ironically, the 1994 Jeep Wrangler project that I had done in college really lead to me being known as a designer at Chrysler Jeep, so I always liked Wranglers..but, I just realized that I don't have a 1/18th  :rolleyes:  Shame on me, as I have 1/43rd and 1/64ths of this version and older ones.
What you mentioned about the US big warehouse store pricing, really can put a smile on one's face! :twocents: Perhaps if we had this type of pricing here, then I would be willing to buy more "Bburaistos" :nice:
Congrats on this add! Cheers! :occasion14:

Thanks Dave! :occasion14:
So 94 is the squared-headlight Wrangler, right? I know the squared-headlights aren't popular among Jeep purist BUT I think they look good actually and very period-correct and hugely modernizing the look and feel of the CJ-7.
I am pretty glad we have Costco (or Sams) around here. At $14 you have nothing to loose. Honestly I screwed up the other Wrangler when doing the modification and now that unit becomes my daughter's toy :giggle:
Maisto is doing a pretty decent job on this Wrangler! It was just the slumped ride height annoyed me so much I had to give it a small lift.
You're welcome Stefanus! :occasion14:
I think that the '94 Jeep did have the squared off headlights..but, we had to do future designs for 2007, so mine was 13 years into the future. That project and the future Supra designs that I had done during the 94-95 school year, lead me getting Intern offers from Ford, Chrysler and Toyota. I was encouraged to go with Toyota were I worked on a later production car for 2000 (I think you know which one based on my personal facebook posts).

Now, I am curious to what color is the color that you gave your daughter? I know that she is totally into model cars and am so glad to always see your posts with her and model cars :eusa_clap: :yahoo:
Now, your post has me looking at Maisto Jeeps here..LOL :giggle: I do that from time to time!! :occasion14:Cheers!

She got the white one without roof :nice:

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:land of down under
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:05 AM

Wow that looks marvellous! I won't hesitate to buy one for 14 bucks if I had a chance to. Apart from the usual super thick antenna which is typical of Maisto I can't see how anyone can faults this rugged beauty. Costco opened up shop in my town earlier this month (conveniently at the start of Covid outbreak) so i haven't actually step foot in the store yet. Wonder if they also carry cut price Maisto here... cos if they do... I might have to bring a trailer :giggle:

#7 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:20 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 29 May 2020 - 02:05 AM, said:

Wow that looks marvellous! I won't hesitate to buy one for 14 bucks if I had a chance to. Apart from the usual super thick antenna which is typical of Maisto I can't see how anyone can faults this rugged beauty. Costco opened up shop in my town earlier this month (conveniently at the start of Covid outbreak) so i haven't actually step foot in the store yet. Wonder if they also carry cut price Maisto here... cos if they do... I might have to bring a trailer :giggle:

:giggle: on the trailer comment.... Trust me I've been to Costco where I walked out with 2 food items and 6 diecast.

Normally these Maistos are available in Costco in the fall.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.