BMW X5 F05 M-Sport - DX Trucks | SUV | Haulers - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

BMW X5 F05 M-Sport

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:38 PM

First, thanks to Dave’s “DND-Land” review of Norev’s BMW X5 F05, I just couldn’t resist to pull the trigger and got one. So thanks Dave for making my checking account lighter by $94! :nice:

But hey, at $94 picked up from the local BMW dealer, this is actually a tremendous value for a 1:18 diecast! :eusa_clap:

I love Norev’s choice of the M-sport package as well as the brown interior. It really suites the car well and elevates the somewhat-stodgy looking X5 to something sporty. Great choice of wheels too! The craftmanship and fit/finish is acceptable for sub-$100 diecast. Paint job is perfect and panel gaps are acceptable. The interior details are really good, well replicated complete with the optional touch screen for the rear passengers. I’m glad they did the panoramic sunroof as well. Headlights and taillights details are very well executed here. The engine bay details are a little sparse and can be improved.

However, this is ALMOST a fully opening diecast. For some reason, the BMW dealer editions nowadays features the sealed trunk / liftgate :gaah: .
I get it that replicating the 2-piece tailgate will not be cost efficient, but I almost don’t mind paying extra $15 to get that feature on this 1:18. Keep in mind that Kyosho did this beautifully with their old release of the 2nd gen X5 a few years back (pictured too below).

I was debating whether to get the X5 or X7, but to me this F05 X5 is the upper limit of the BMW kidney grille sizes. For this X5, I think it’s just a tad too large. But on the X7, they are simply monstrous! Those will give me nightmares! I do realize though this is strictly personal taste. I was thinking of painting the grilles black but I will leave them be for now.

One thing I did is to fix the rear ride height (I think it’s way too low). On mine, the rear tires almost rubbed the fenders. Luckily it’s simple to do. You will need to disassemble the model, then turn the screws holding the rear suspension to the chassis about 2 turns loose. It will significantly raise the rear ride height while leaving enough thread on the screws. I didn’t take the ‘before’ pictures but you can see the after pics below.

Here are some pictures of the X5. If you scroll to the bottom, there are some pictures with the previous-gen X6 as well as the 2nd gen X5 (which is my favorite X5 style!). Hope you enjoy these :occasion14:

Posted ImageIMG_2025 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2033 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2032 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2031 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2030 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2028 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2027 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2038 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2040 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2026 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2035 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2037 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2034 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2036 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2041 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2042 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2043 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2044 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2047 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2048 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2045 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_2046 by tanayast, o

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:17 PM

LOL!!!  ALL of my close model car friends (Now, also including you for years now) say what you have just said about me being a BAD model car influencer Stefanus! :giggle:  Next, CONGRATS on this beauty! :eusa_clap: It'a a really good model. I had to go through three and then mix two of those three to get a nearly "perfect" one, with ride height and front tie bar wise..so, I understand that you had to raise your rear as well. Good job! :yahoo:

I had to laugh when you said the X7 had "monstrous"  kidney grilles on the X7. :giggle:  That said, I initially wanted the the released X7, but after being in a real one, I like the X7 with the M-Sport package better these days.
Congrats again Stefanus and Cheers!! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1731 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:46 PM

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

LOL!!!  ALL of my close model car friends (Now, also including you for years now) say what you have just said about me being a BAD model car influencer Stefanus! :giggle:  Next, CONGRATS on this beauty! :eusa_clap: It'a a really good model. I had to go through three and then mix two of those three to get a nearly "perfect" one, with ride height and front tie bar wise..so, I understand that you had to raise your rear as well. Good job! :yahoo:

I had to laugh when you said the X7 had "monstrous"  kidney grilles on the X7. :giggle:  That said, I initially wanted the the released X7, but after being in a real one, I like the X7 with the M-Sport package better these days.

Thanks Dave :occasion14:
That's why we're here really, to influence each other getting the best bang for the buck when it comes to the diecast (or resin in some cases).
I'm lucky enough that I scored the 'perfect' X5 unit out of the only inventory left in the dealer. I think the read ride height is more of Norev's design issue versus quality issue. But regardless it was an easy fix.
I would be willing to get the X7 if the 1:18 comes with the M-sport package. It might 'dilute' the front end look a little bit.

But seriously - Thanks for your great review on this X5! Otherwise I may not get one!

#4 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11541 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:26 PM

View Posttanayast, on 28 May 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostD N, on 28 May 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Thanks Dave :occasion14:
That's why we're here really, to influence each other getting the best bang for the buck when it comes to the diecast (or resin in some cases).
I'm lucky enough that I scored the 'perfect' X5 unit out of the only inventory left in the dealer. I think the read ride height is more of Norev's design issue versus quality issue. But regardless it was an easy fix.
I would be willing to get the X7 if the 1:18 comes with the M-sport package. It might 'dilute' the front end look a little bit.

But seriously - Thanks for your great review on this X5! Otherwise I may not get one!
You're Welcome Stefanus! :occasion14:
Exactly! That's what we are ALL here for as a group and membership, to help one another to find models to enjoy.
Glad that you found my review informative enough to make a decision on purchasing this model! Cheers! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.