Custom McQueen LeMans - The Movie Porsche 908 Camera Car - DX Motorsports - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Custom McQueen LeMans - The Movie Porsche 908 Camera Car

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

The year 1970 was big one for Steve McQueen.  Among other things, he bought Porsche 908/02 #908-022.

In preparation for a return to Sebring, Florida for the annual 12 hour endurance race, he subsequently entered it in at least two Sports Car Club of America Regional/National races, winning class A-Sports Racing at each meeting.  McQueen had been regularly participating in SCCA events since the late 50's.

McQueen had raced previously in the 12 Hour in 1962 in an Austin-Healey Sebring Sprite.

For 1970, he chose Peter Revson as a co-driver, which was an excellent choice, not only an accomplished drive in his own right, but a prior class winner at Sebring as well.

Unfortunately for McQueen, he broke his leg in a motorcycle racing accident, and would compete at Sebring with his leg in a cast.

For the race, Revson would handle the lion's share of the driving, being behind the wheel for 8 hours total, with McQueen performing for the mandatory minimum of 4.

Posted Image

For their efforts, the Revson/McQueen duo was scored second overall (although urban legend suggests a scoring oversight cost them a lap and the win).

The next time that chassis 908-022 would surface was at the LeMans 24 Hour race, in the form of a camera laden competitor, gathering footage for McQueen's pending movie, "LeMans".

Posted Image

The car completed the race, and was 9th overall on the scoring charts, but covered too few laps to be classified as a finisher.

Needless to say, I (as well as a legion of others) am a huge Steve McQueen fan, having an entire corner of my collection dedicated to him, and his iconic movie.

Posted Image

The one model that was missing was a replica of the camera car.  Just this past week, that void was filled, as I bought my first Dennis Koleber (dennymini on eBay) custom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31219 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

Yeah man!!! I know of his great work (I've got a couple of his race weathered cars) That's a real beauty!! Congrats on the add!! :10: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Uzair

Uzair

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy and science, diecast, sim racing,
  • Favorite Brands:GMP, Exoto, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: pk

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

As a diehard fan of the King of Cool I am in love with your dedication corner! And well done completing the Le Mans movie collection with this custom model. Its amazing also that AUTOart released so many McQueen cars, both the 917 and the 908, and the 908 could be had relatively very cheaply until recently. I assume the Dennis Koleber version uses that as its base?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   ibj40

ibj40

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Favorite Brands:.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

View PostCraig, on 07 June 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

Yeah man!!! I know of his great work (I've got a couple of his race weathered cars) That's a real beauty!! Congrats on the add!! :10: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

View PostUzair, on 08 June 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

As a diehard fan of the King of Cool I am in love with your dedication corner! And well done completing the Le Mans movie collection with this custom model. Its amazing also that AUTOart released so many McQueen cars, both the 917 and the 908, and the 908 could be had relatively very cheaply until recently. I assume the Dennis Koleber version uses that as its base?

Thanks, both of you!  I am so proud of this one model, as I pointed out.  Never could have created one myself, glad that Dennis decided to do one.

The model came in a Holtville box, which I assume was the donor.  As you can see from the first picture, I have the Holtville car, as well, it just had to move for it's more fitting cousin.

#5 OFFLINE   Jersey_Devil

Jersey_Devil

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 4308 posts
  • Interests:NFL, Auto racing, playing pool, collecting large-scale diecast racing cars (1/18th and up)
  • Number of Models:1/10th: 2; 1/12th: 1; 1/18th: 176; 1/43rd: 5
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, GMP, Minichamps, Carousel 1, Auto Art

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Fantastic add, Jim :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:! I was a Koleber customer many moons ago when I was still building plastic model cars so I know his work.
I just want someone whose baggage goes with mine [from "Rent"]...
- Red

My 1/18th collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...16/#entry557038

My 1/43rd collection thread: http://www.diecastxc...d-riverside-300

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.