Review: KK Scale Ferrari 288 GTO - Miscellaneous 1/18 brands & non 1/18 scale models. - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Review: KK Scale Ferrari 288 GTO

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   nima mojiz

nima mojiz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Ferrari, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini
  • Number of Models:+100
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt - Minichamps - Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:43 AM

Undoubtedly one of the most iconic Ferraris ever, 288 GTO is also one of the best supercars of the 1980's. Unlike many of the supercars from that era, it looks like diecast companies have barely shown any interest in making a good replica of this car in 1/18 scale. Bburago produced a replica in its older days and later on, Hotwheels modified the same casting to create its own model. BBurago had its own flaws and typical Bburago shortcomings. On the other hand, even though the version released by Hot Wheels looked better, it wasn't flawless either. Even the Elite version with more delicate photo-etched metal decals had horrible shortcuts, like the Bburago-inherited interior with a thick steering wheel and doglegs.
A couple of years ago, KK Scale announced that they are going to make their own version. Finally, it was available on a couple of websites for around 80 bucks which is almost a bargain. I had the chance to sell my Hot Wheels foundation for $150 (yes, one hundred and fifthy US Dollars!) and buy the KK Scale for $84 plus shipping from FiveDiecast. Since I felt that there's lots of fuss going on around this model while many would consider buying it, I didn't hesitate to write a review. Hopefully this is gonna help you!

First of all, like all of their growing product line, KK Sacle's 288 GTO is a diecast sealed model. No opening parts here, but at least it has the weight and presence of older diecast cars. Something even the newer so-called composite models by AUTOart lack. The paint quality is fine, but the model smells like glue! This is probably due to the fact that they have glued every single piece of it!

The overall shape looks fine to me. I have double checked several photos of the car and it seems that they did a good job capturing the complex curves and angles. I have seen some people putting this model besides Hot Wheels and HWE on Facebook and reporting that KK Scale is shorter and narrower. I compared it to my Kyosho F40, which is not the best benchmark ever, but at leas done by Kyosho, and it looked alright. I bet the Bburago molding was a bit wrong in some areas, like many of their other products.

Posted Image

This is probably the trickiest angle of the car to replicate and I think it looks perfect.

Posted Image

Another nice try by KK Scale. The rear three quarter view is good and convincing. I've seen people complaining that the rear wheel arch should be wider. I have no clue why!

Posted Image

The side view is probably the best. No complaints here! As we don't have opening parts, no shut lines to inspect!

Posted Image

Now that we're done with the overall looks, let's get into the details, which we don't get that much of it!
As any other sealed models, we're not expecting lots of detailing. The front fog lamps are probably the most desirable detail here. They look perfect with the texture and the lens. At the same time, the photo etched prancing horse emblem is a plus. The indicator is also a separate piece unlike HWE model.

Posted Image

The rear emblem and logos are just painted on. Even the "Ferrari" on the hood is not a photo etched decal. You can simply get a set of these decals for a few bucks and upgrade the rear of this car, which I'm planning to do.
The exhaust tips and the part of the undercarriage visible (Gearbox? Engine?) are also nice, but not perfect.

Posted Image

The hood is a separate plastic piece on this model. Is there a chance someone would try to disassemble this model to see whats what?
The air vents on the hood are open and the intercoolers can be seen through. This is one of the nicest touches of the model.

Posted Image

Most of the air vents on this model are either open or painted black to replicate that. The side vent looks OK and the Pininfaria logo is not metal. Door handle and the fuel cap are other nice touches here.

Posted Image

The wheels look great. Unlike the Bburago/Hot Wheels/HWE versions, the rear rims are correct and not deep dish. You also get front/rear discs and calipers. The discs are static by the way.

Posted Image

The interior is not the best part of this model, but it actually looks better than Bbuargo/Hot Wheels/HWE. The dash is fine with instruments and a far better steering wheel, which is rotated with the front wheels. The only complaint I have is the fact that the roof is not covered.

Posted Image

At least in my model, the wheels are loose and flimsy. They start limping when you rotate them, like they are misaligned. I don't know whether this is a typical KK Sacle issue or my car's flaw.

Just to wrap it up, this is neither a flawless nor a high-end diecast model. Don't expect Kyosho/AUTOart details and CMC quality! You get what you pay for (unlike the now overpriced Hot Wheels and HWE). We're far from the golden days of diecast industry, when full-opening almost-perfect diecast AUTOarts cost less than $100 and Kyosho and HWE produced a bunch of Ferraris. At least KK Scale gives us the opportunity to get a nice model of a desirable car for an almost fair price!

I'm not doing a comparison, but at least to compare the overall shape and quality of the models, I'm posting some photos of my previous 288 GTO, by Hot Wheels.
I didn't pay that much for this model, but it looks like the Elite version is nowadays priced ridiculously!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nima mojiz, 27 June 2020 - 02:00 PM.

BBR Diecast LaFerrari
BBR Ferrari 375 MM
Kyosho Ferrari 308/328
Exoto Ford GT40

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4607 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:49 AM

Nice review.
I had the same problem of floppy wheels on the rear of my version, but it's easily corrected.
I took mine apart to get at the wheels, and on the hubs are small crosshead screws.
This is where the fault lies, tighten these screws and the problem should be solved.

#3 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1807 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:22 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 27 June 2020 - 06:49 AM, said:

This is where the fault lies, tighten these screws and the problem should be solved.

Thanks so much for the review

Unfortunately it didn't fix the wobble on mine so I ran some Krystal Klear glue down the hub and put the screws back in. They are very stiff now and barely turn but that's not a priority for me.
I'm very happy with this model and it looks great along with my other premium Ferraris.

Posted Image

Edited by Guiddy, 28 June 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4607 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

View PostGuiddy, on 28 June 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Unfortunately it didn't fix the wobble on mine so I ran some Krystal Klear glue down the hub and put the screws back in. They are very stiff now and barely turn but that's not a priority for me.
I'm very happy with this model and it looks great along with my other premium Ferraris.

If that happens to me, I use a small amount of very light watch oil at the edge of the the inner wheel mount.

#5 ONLINE   nima mojiz

nima mojiz

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Ferrari, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini
  • Number of Models:+100
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt - Minichamps - Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:24 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 28 June 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

If that happens to me, I use a small amount of very light watch oil at the edge of the the inner wheel mount.

Did you take apart the wheels or the whole model?
Did you have the chance to see whether the hood is fixed with glue or what?

Totally agree with you!
It looks fine alongside my other 80's Ferraris such as the Kyosho F40, Testarossa and HWE 348. I will probably add Kyosho's 308/328 and 365/512 BB  as well to this lot.

Posted Image

Edited by nima mojiz, 28 June 2020 - 12:30 PM.

BBR Diecast LaFerrari
BBR Ferrari 375 MM
Kyosho Ferrari 308/328
Exoto Ford GT40

#6 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4607 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

View Postnima mojiz, on 28 June 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

View Postslartibartfast229, on 28 June 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Did you take apart the wheels or the whole model?
Did you have the chance to see whether the hood is fixed with glue or what?

Totally agree with you!
It looks fine alongside my other 80's Ferraris such as the Kyosho F40, Testarossa and HWE 348. I will probably add Kyosho's 308/328 and 365/512 BB  as well to this lot.

I took the floor off to lower the car slightly.
I didn't notice how the engine cover was dealt with, but it is plastic so it was probably glued.
I think a lot of companies prefer to avoid screws if possible, this requires more effort and adds weight with the shipping implications that go along with it.
It would be my guess that's why Otto and GTS use hot glue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.