Decal 'upgrades'. - DX Custom Model Tuner Shop - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Jump to content


Decal 'upgrades'.


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:46 AM

Post your photos of models you have added decals to, such as smoking or alcohol subjects which were 'not complete'.
It would also be nice to mention the manufacturer of the model, and whether the decals were included but not applied.
And if possible, details of who produced the decals you used, and where they came from.
A review of the decals would also be of benefit to those of us who might like to duplicate the model.
Here is my first entry, the AUTOart model of the controversial winner of the 1992 Bathurst 1000k race.
Decals are from Bruce Patterson in Australia 'Patto's decals' and were good quality and very opaque.
Posted Imagemy current area

Edited by slartibartfast229, 27 June 2020 - 08:50 AM.


Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

Posted Image
Posted Imagedirections to where i am now

http://www.members.o...place/home.html

Edited by slartibartfast229, 27 June 2020 - 08:52 AM.


#3 OFFLINE   lateapex

lateapex

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2921 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Number of Models:70-80
  • Favorite Brands:Kyosho, Schuco, Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: no

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

That looks great, the car looks so strange and naked without them. I understand why Autoart cant put them on the car, but cant they supply the decals loose, or is that loophole closed now?

Edit: And I read up on the race it "won", holy crap.

Edited by lateapex, 27 June 2020 - 05:55 PM.


#4 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:42 AM

View Postlateapex, on 27 June 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

That looks great, the car looks so strange and naked without them. I understand why Autoart cant put them on the car, but cant they supply the decals loose, or is that loophole closed now?

Edit: And I read up on the race it "won", holy crap.
As for AUTOart not including the decals, that has to be their decision.
I suspect the model was intended only for the Australian market, and none of the models produced for that market has such decals as far as I know.
They could have added them to be placed on afterwards by the buyer, since mine was bought in Europe as having been released there.
Minichamps usually do it, so do Otto among others, although I don't know how such brands are sold in Australia with them.
As for the race result, international rules state that a car must be driven under it's own power back to park ferme by the driver who crossed the finish line.
Then he must exit the car without making any adjustments or changes.
No member of the team or others may touch the car until the scrutineers check that nothing illegal has been changed since pre race scrutineering (unless permission is given).
The car in question failed on all counts and should have been excluded - there are many instances of this happening.
I would not have bought the model at full price because of this, but they were heavily discounted and so I got one.

Edited by slartibartfast229, 28 June 2020 - 06:42 AM.


#5 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:49 AM

Nothing so controversial about this car as modelled, unless you count overt cigarette advertising.
A really very nice shape to this model, although the numeral fonts used are not quite correct.
And some of the detailing is superb, particularly the bonnet hinges (the best on any of my models).
Additional decals as above, from 'Patto'.
Incidentally, this may look like an Opel Kadett 'C', but it's a bigger car with an engine never offered in the European versions.
.Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by slartibartfast229, 28 June 2020 - 07:46 AM.


#6 ONLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

    Senior Member

  • DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

I did a few. First two were these Alfas with just the blank roundels which I thought looked great. I was going for a le mans classic weekend toy type of look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then this TSM MP4/6

Posted Image
I mod stuff

Wes

#7 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1621 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:41 PM

I added the full Mine's livery to this Autoart R34 GT-R. Decals produced by TK Diecast with custom sizing. They're decent decals I guess, not as prone to tear as some others I've used like scale motorsport ones, although I'm not a fan of how fragile decals are in general. Case in point I had some metal polishing powder on my hands and picked the car up, its put some dark marks onto the decals on the other side. Not sure if they can be cleaned or if I need to redo that side.

Posted Image

Base
@basegtr


#8 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostBaseGTR, on 28 June 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

I added the full Mine's livery to this Autoart R34 GT-R. Decals produced by TK Diecast with custom sizing. They're decent decals I guess, not as prone to tear as some others I've used like scale motorsport ones, although I'm not a fan of how fragile decals are in general. Case in point I had some metal polishing powder on my hands and picked the car up, its put some dark marks onto the decals on the other side. Not sure if they can be cleaned or if I need to redo that side.



It's too late now in all probability but I use Pledge/Johnsons liquid floor wax on many of my decals to protect them - with a clean paint brush kept especially for the job.
I have been doing this for around 30 years and have never had a decal go bad afterwards.
You just have to be careful not to put too heavy a coat on, which may then run or 'pool'.
For myself, I don't like clear coat sealing, most cars up until the early 90's didn't do this on the real thing.
How much did the decals cost, and what did you need to provide for reference?

#9 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1621 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 28 June 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

It's too late now in all probability but I use Pledge/Johnsons liquid floor wax on many of my decals to protect them - with a clean paint brush kept especially for the job.
I have been doing this for around 30 years and have never had a decal go bad afterwards.
You just have to be careful not to put too heavy a coat on, which may then run or 'pool'.
For myself, I don't like clear coat sealing, most cars up until the early 90's didn't do this on the real thing.
How much did the decals cost, and what did you need to provide for reference?

Yeah I probably should have brushed a light coat of clear over them but oh well. On the site they're €11.90 a set but as mine were custom sized, I might've paid a bit more but it's been so long I can't remember. For reference I gave Lars the size of each part of the livery from my Ignition Model Mine's R34 (white one in the background) as that is pretty close to the real deal.

Base
@basegtr


#10 ONLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 736 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

I drew & built this one. Was a standard Sunstar rally car, now Vaughn Gittin's Gymkhana Grid Escort, complete with driver figure.

This was also the most complicated paint job aswell. Its blue inside, around the doors and the engine bay. Black for the bonnet, boot & part of the roof then white for the rest. Then, the blue is gloss lacquered and the black & white is matt lacquered.

Done lots of decaled cars using my own and purchased decals. Link in my signature to the photos.

Posted Image1/18 Sunstar Escort Mk2 Rally by Andrew, on Flickr

Edited by thebigmacmoomin, 29 June 2020 - 08:47 AM.

All of my modified models : https://[email protected]/sets/

#11 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

View Postthebigmacmoomin, on 29 June 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

I drew & built this one. Was a standard Sunstar rally car, now Vaughn Gittin's Gymkhana Grid Escort, complete with driver figure.

This was also the most complicated paint job aswell. Its blue inside, around the doors and the engine bay. Black for the bonnet, boot & part of the roof then white for the rest. Then, the blue is gloss lacquered and the black & white is matt lacquered.

Done lots of decaled cars using my own and purchased decals. Link in my signature to the photos.

1/18 Sunstar Escort Mk2 Rally by Andrew, on Flickr
That's some paint and decal work!
Can we see some of the others?

Edited by slartibartfast229, 29 June 2020 - 09:52 AM.


#12 ONLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 736 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:55 AM

These are all Sunstar 1/18.

Ken Block - Ford Escort Mk2 - Colin McRae Forest Stages 2008

Posted Image1/18 Sunstar Ford Escort Mk2 Rally by Andrew, on Flickr


Valentino Rossi - Ford Focus WRC Mk2 - Rally Monza 2009 - Matt black & Matt florescent yellow.

Posted Image1/18 Sunstar Ford Focus Mk2 WRC by Andrew, on Flickr


Jimmy McRae - Ford Escort Mk2 - R.A.C Rally 2006

Posted Image1/18 Sunstar Escort Mk2 Rally by Andrew, on Flickr

Edited by thebigmacmoomin, 29 June 2020 - 09:59 AM.

All of my modified models : https://[email protected]/sets/

#13 ONLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 736 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

Lego Lewis Hamilton - F1 2015

Posted ImageLego figure - Lewis Hamilton - Formula 1 2015 by Andrew, on Flickr

Lego Daniel Ricciardo - F1 2018 Monaco Grand Prix winner

Posted ImageLego figure - Daniel Ricciardo - Formula 1 2018 by Andrew, on Flickr
All of my modified models : https://www.flickr.c.[email protected]/sets/

#14 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

:occasion14:

#15 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1814 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wiltshire
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:09 PM

I really like that Focus, great looking car.  It's nicely done, I would never have guessed it was a custom model.

The best thing about using a Sun Star as the base is that it's impossible to do a worse job on decals than they do...

Posted Image

Collection thread (to be updated)


#16 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

View Postspikyone, on 29 June 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

I really like that Focus, great looking car.  It's nicely done, I would never have guessed it was a custom model.

The best thing about using a Sun Star as the base is that it's impossible to do a worse job on decals than they do...
I'm working on a Minichamps MKII Escort (an early all open version) and taking it apart is easier than a SunStar, particularly the windows which are a pain.
I broke two windscreens, not taking them out - but trying to put them back in.
The clear plastic they use is very brittle.....

#17 ONLINE   thebigmacmoomin

thebigmacmoomin

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 736 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Cars, Football, Motorsports
  • Favorite Brands:All of them
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

View Postspikyone, on 29 June 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

I really like that Focus, great looking car.  It's nicely done, I would never have guessed it was a custom model.

The best thing about using a Sun Star as the base is that it's impossible to do a worse job on decals than they do...

Thanks. That's my intention, to make it look as professional and accurate as possible with the skill and resources I have.

I found Ixo to be one of the worst for decals. I used one of their 1/43's as a base to help with a 1/18 i'm making of the same car. It's like they did little to no research on what the correct logos actually were.
All of my modified models : https://[email protected]/sets/

#18 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

More cigarette decal additions.
These are on a Biante 1984 Bathurst 1000 winning Holden Commodore - Peter Brock/Larry Perkins.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

From a slightly obscure Biante Holden Commodore - 1986 ETCC to Bathurst 1000 winner later that same year.
Complex decal work, taking around three weeks to complete in stages.
Biante produce such a model in 1/18th scale, but the prices are unreal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   MerkurKing16

MerkurKing16

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Interests:Anything that is interesting
  • Favorite Brands:Spark
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:12 PM

So that was a plain white Commodore??? If so, great work!

#21 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 46 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Whichever looks the most realistic
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:49 PM

Fantastic job on the Chickadee Commodore slarti, yes Biante made it in 1:18 and for ages you could get one below RRP, but now it looks like that situation has changed?  Getting one to Ireland would be pretty expensive nowadays!  None of the Australian model brands include cigarette advertising decals in the box, I don't know why but it's probably so they make sure they don't get themselves into trouble with the advertising standards bureaucrats in the nanny-state offices!!! :-)

#22 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

View PostMerkurKing16, on 15 September 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

So that was a plain white Commodore??? If so, great work!
No, it wasn't plain white, but very close.
The original had minimal markings from when it raced in the 1986 ETCC, which I removed with NPR and cotton buds.
I have an image of it cleaned somewhere on the site, I just need to find it.

#23 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:45 AM

View Postsamx5, on 15 September 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

Fantastic job on the Chickadee Commodore slarti, yes Biante made it in 1:18 and for ages you could get one below RRP, but now it looks like that situation has changed?  Getting one to Ireland would be pretty expensive nowadays!  None of the Australian model brands include cigarette advertising decals in the box, I don't know why but it's probably so they make sure they don't get themselves into trouble with the advertising standards bureaucrats in the nanny-state offices!!! :-)
Tell me about it!
I recently bought a 'JPS' DJR Mustang - second place 1986 Wellington 500, and can't find decals of the correct size and shade.
There is an ebay seller who offers vinyl stick ons, but I much prefer waterslide.
Biante (and the others) could offer a free set of the decals by applying to the company quoting the retailer and receipt.
This would probably get around the nanny problems.
Shipping the Mustang cost €40.

#24 OFFLINE   samx5

samx5

    Junior Member

  • DX Community
  • 46 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Whichever looks the most realistic
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:14 PM

The Mustangs look good on the shelf.  40 Euro for postage isn't cheap, but there's no other way of getting them (we're in the same boat down here if we want to get BBR's etc......)  I have the JPS BMW M3 of Jim Richards which needs the 'JPS' decals, and haven't found the correct shade of gold as yet.  I prefer waterslide too, I have them on my Torana A9X and 1984 VK Commodore, the only potential problem is that over time they can get a slight yellowing in the clear sections, which is visible on white cars (I added mine over 10 years ago, so I suppose it's not unexpected and I can always remove them and re-apply).

#25 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Senior Member

  • DX Community
  • PipPip
  • 5029 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:45 AM

View Postsamx5, on 16 September 2020 - 11:14 PM, said:

The Mustangs look good on the shelf.  40 Euro for postage isn't cheap, but there's no other way of getting them (we're in the same boat down here if we want to get BBR's etc......)  I have the JPS BMW M3 of Jim Richards which needs the 'JPS' decals, and haven't found the correct shade of gold as yet.  I prefer waterslide too, I have them on my Torana A9X and 1984 VK Commodore, the only potential problem is that over time they can get a slight yellowing in the clear sections, which is visible on white cars (I added mine over 10 years ago, so I suppose it's not unexpected and I can always remove them and re-apply).
Patto is where I bought my waterslide cigarette decals, and the Chickadee decals for the Commodore.
He recently added a new set of JPS decals for the Mustang in various scales, I intended to email to see if they were colour matched, but he's been on holiday recently.
I have other decal projects in the works, so I am not in a mad panic.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.