REPAINT! Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV by GT Spirit - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

REPAINT! Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV by GT Spirit

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:34 PM

Since I had 2 of these GT Spirit Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV's, one white on white version for the JDM Countach custom project and a red on red version, I swapped the interiors on the 2 models. So now I have the red interior in the white body and the white interior in this red body. But since I took the model apart, I decided I didn't want 2 red countach models in my collection, so I decided to repaint the red body into one of my favorite colors for the Countach - Baby blue!

Kyosho made a diecast Countach in this color combo back in the day and these are super rare and expensive now to buy, so I painted my own to replace that grail. (Although that was a LP5000 S and mine is a LP5000 QV)

I did not document the build on this one as it was just a color change, no mods. So here is the finished model. Cheers, Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Evil Z06

Evil Z06

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5389 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whatever looks Tempting
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

It looks killer....super quality paint job :occasion14:  and that Blue :drool5:

#3 OFFLINE   BaseGTR

BaseGTR

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1577 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Ignition model, some GTS/Otto.
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

That colour combination suits it rather well

Base
@basegtr

#4 OFFLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12236 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:30 PM

Great looking model, that blue looks just right on the Lambo. The white interior and silver wheels add to the clean overall look. I bet this looks great in your impressive display cases.

#5 OFFLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2453 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:38 PM

I'm usually not a big fan of baby blue, but I gotta say it just works perfectly on the QV, especially with that interior.

#6 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:52 PM

View PostEvil Z06, on 27 June 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

It looks killer....super quality paint job :occasion14:  and that Blue :drool5:
Thanks Gary, I just sanded down the original GT Spirit paint, then primed and painted over that. The blue is actually called Peacock Blue but I called it baby blue.

View PostBaseGTR, on 27 June 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

That colour combination suits it rather well
Thanks Base, I love it too

View Postpreisman, on 27 June 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

Great looking model, that blue looks just right on the Lambo. The white interior and silver wheels add to the clean overall look. I bet this looks great in your impressive display cases.
Cheers Jon, it does look good in the display case with my other Countach's, I am working on my collection of Countach and have another custom Countach I am going to build after the white JDM Countach. Stay tuned for that one, it is a one of a kind based on a real car.

View PostPhatboi101, on 27 June 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

I'm usually not a big fan of baby blue, but I gotta say it just works perfectly on the QV, especially with that interior.
Thanks Mark, didn't want to pay the crazy money for the Kyosho diecast in this color combo, so made my own like always.

#7 OFFLINE   cannondancer

cannondancer

• DX Community
  • 92 posts
  • Favorite Brands:older AUTOart & Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:42 PM

Fantastic job Rob!

The blue Kyosho Countach you referred to was actually a QV, not an LP5000S. That was a nice model but it's overall profile made it look more like an earlier LP400S. Your GT Spirit QV actually looks a lot more true to the "high body" real car. How did you go doing the badges? Are they replacement decals/stickers?

Again, very nice looking model and a big improvement on the more toy-like appearance of the triple white original.

#8 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:45 PM

View Postcannondancer, on 27 June 2020 - 11:42 PM, said:

Fantastic job Rob!

The blue Kyosho Countach you referred to was actually a QV, not an LP5000S. That was a nice model but it's overall profile made it look more like an earlier LP400S. Your GT Spirit QV actually looks a lot more true to the "high body" real car. How did you go doing the badges? Are they replacement decals/stickers?

Again, very nice looking model and a big improvement on the more toy-like appearance of the triple white original.
Cheers, oh I didn't think it was a QV because it did not have the side skirts with the strakes in them like this QV model. I had the decals made by TKdiecast last year as I am building the JDM Countach and I had spares made for this model.

#9 OFFLINE   cannondancer

cannondancer

• DX Community
  • 92 posts
  • Favorite Brands:older AUTOart & Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of: it

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:46 AM

Yes the strakes were actually fitted during production to a small number (I'm thinking around 50?) of cars from about mid 1988. This is why they are referred to as "88.5"'s among some enthusiasts. The earlier cars from 85 onward had the standard round belly. The biggest giveaway with the QV is the engine cover, which protrudes up as a small tower to fit the downdraft engine components underneath. Some Americans refer to the QV as a "downdraft" because of this. This is apparently a more efficient way to produce power, versus the "sidedraft" engine configuration of the earlier versions.

So the car you've modelled is a super rare car - and 88.5 QV in a rare custom blue colour!

EDIT: And the first 88.5's actually had only two strakes, not the three as seen on this model and the later 25th Anniversary Countach i.e. SUPER rare -  how could I forget those!

Edited by cannondancer, 28 June 2020 - 12:48 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2204 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:17 AM

View Postcannondancer, on 28 June 2020 - 12:46 AM, said:

Yes the strakes were actually fitted during production to a small number (I'm thinking around 50?) of cars from about mid 1988. This is why they are referred to as "88.5"'s among some enthusiasts. The earlier cars from 85 onward had the standard round belly. The biggest giveaway with the QV is the engine cover, which protrudes up as a small tower to fit the downdraft engine components underneath. Some Americans refer to the QV as a "downdraft" because of this. This is apparently a more efficient way to produce power, versus the "sidedraft" engine configuration of the earlier versions.

So the car you've modelled is a super rare car - and 88.5 QV in a rare custom blue colour!

EDIT: And the first 88.5's actually had only two strakes, not the three as seen on this model and the later 25th Anniversary Countach i.e. SUPER rare -  how could I forget those!
Thank you so much for the information, my knowledge on older supercars is not as good as all the new stuff. Much appreciated mate

#11 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12323 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:56 AM

Amazing looker and your paining skills are just so good. Hope you can do a tutorial on painting(i may have missed it if you already have) as the finish is Beautiful. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14: :danke:

#12 OFFLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1501 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:41 AM

So awesome. I wish I could colour change models so seamlessly.

#13 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31219 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

It looks spot on Rob :10: :occasion14:

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#14 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6533 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:52 PM

i thought this was the starting point, not that it had already been finished :) the paint looks as good as an factory job.

#15 OFFLINE   snackwel5

snackwel5

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 547 posts
  • Interests:Watches, Baseball, Coin Collecting, Music, Photography
  • Number of Models:60 - 1:18
    11 - 1:43
    300+ - 1:64
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Maisto, Exoto

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

It looks incredible! The blue with the white interior really pops. Terrific job as always!
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.