eponterian's Diorama - Diorama and Accessory Making - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

eponterian's Diorama

14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, GMP, Welly
  • Proud Citizen of: pl

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:32 AM

I have finally started creating my diorama, first one ever. Let's hope it'll turn out nicely. :) Not much to see, yet, but more pictures will be posted this week. I ordered this custom made display case/shelf and I'm using wallpaper with a concrete design as the floor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Alex SZ1996

Alex SZ1996

• DX Administrator
  • PipPip
  • 6548 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Japan, Italy and more.
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart, Kyosho, Pocher
  • Proud Citizen of: dk

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:15 AM

looks like a good start.

#3 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1214 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

Very cool! Is that a acrylic panel on the front, or is it glass?

I'll be watching this space for sure! :drool5:

#4 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

Thanks guys. :danke: To answer your question cwbs, it is made out of glass. I'll post some pictures later today.

#5 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

As promised, got some more pictures. The diorama is slowly filling up with some items. Decided to go with some exotic cars first, since that is what started my collecting passion. I already posted images of the Diablo in my 1:18 collection thread. The other two will follow soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:21 AM

I've downsized some magazine covers and printed them next to each other upside down to one another. Since we cannot see the back cover, I figured there is no need for it. So, basically, it is a flip cover, which means that if I get bored with one side I can just flip them to other. Also, on one side are older covers while on the other newer ones, so it can also add some "age" to the diorama. Unfortunately, in the pictures I put 2 new covers with 2 old covers instead of grouping them by age, but you get the point.

One thing I may improve upon are the inside pages. I just cut 6 rectangles from blank paper, slightly smaller than the cover. Since the cover is raised a little bit, we can see the white pages inside. Next time, I may downsize some pages, too, and insert them to give it more of a realistic feel.

Finally, I've created some oil labels for the containers. The paper was laminated and then super glued to the oil canisters. I think the effect is pretty good. Any thoughts or advice anyone?
Oh, the 5 Polish groszy coin is added for size comparison and if memory serves me right it is about the size of a US nickel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by eponterian, 11 July 2020 - 06:28 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

The magazines are a very cool idea! :eusa_clap:

#8 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:28 AM

Thank you very much. I am happy how they turned out.

Here is what I am working on now. Imitation metal ads and some signs. Printed on paper, laminated and painstakingly cut out. Very sharp scissors are really useful if anyone wants to do something like this. The ones I am using are great, just a bit too big and too heavy, so cutting many of these at once starts hurting the wrist. I know, it's weird. I was surprised, too.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

For straight cuts and a more precise and wrist friendly job, you can use a ruler and a hobby knife (some call it by its brand name "x-acto").

You will also need a cutting matt, though. That is how I cut license plates, for example.

#10 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:33 AM

View Postcwbs, on 13 July 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

For straight cuts and a more precise and wrist friendly job, you can use a ruler and a hobby knife (some call it by its brand name "x-acto").

You will also need a cutting matt, though. That is how I cut license plates, for example.

Yeah, something similar crossed my mind, actually. Unfortunately, since I don't have one of those "x-acto" knives, ...yet, I was thinking of using a wallpaper snap-off knife and ruler, but decided against it. I believe I will need to invest into one of these hobby knives, since I plan on doing some more diorama building, so it should come in handy. There are a few things I want to finish in this diorama and I have a couple of more ideas, one for 1:87 scale, and one for 1:32, ...I mean 1:34, ...or wait, is it 1:38? Well, whatever that 1 to 30-something scale.  :rolleyes:  The cars are a bit out of scale to one another, but in general it should look pretty good. I hope.

#11 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:38 AM

I've finished cutting the signs out and sticking them to the walls. I also moved everything from right to left and vice versa. It seems a better fit to have the table and so on on the left. The cardboard cut outs are where doors are going to be, and I also plan on adding some lights. Oh yeah, and painting those standing lamps, so they look more realistic. I am pretty happy so far, except the clock above the door seems to be a little bit small, but otherwise I think everything works well size-wise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

Lights are up. Slowly but surly it is beginning to look like something. :) When looking from beneath, the lights don't look very nice or realistic, but since the shelf is at about stomach/chest height, most people are looking down at it, so as of now it doesn't bother me because unless one bends over, the lights can't be seen. I may change it in the future, but first I need to bring in the 3 doors, paint the standing lamps and cut out and put together some car parts boxes.

Oh yeah, I wish the lights would be brighter and not so ambient, because it looks a little bit like it's quitting time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by eponterian, 06 August 2020 - 03:09 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

That is coming along very nicely, well done! :eusa_clap: :drool5:

I need to get my first diorama started, I've been buying a few things such as figures and garage tool kits, but haven't got the time or inspiration to have a go.

#14 OFFLINE   eponterian

eponterian

• DX Community
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:43 AM

Thank you very much. :danke:

I started out the same as you by buying some of the things I knew I wanted to have in my diorama or by creating them. I have left the figures for last, because the shipping costs to Poland are a bit high, but now that I have almost everything else ready, I started looking into getting some figures.

While I was acquiring everything, I was watching a lot of different diorama videos and pictures, also looked at images of some real car garages. To tell you the truth, a lot of it was inspirational, but there are so many amazing and highly detailed dioramas out there, that it can be a little bit overwhelming and discouraging. The reason was, that I had never built anything like this before and seeing how much detail some people put into their projects, my thoughts were that either this will take forever or I may not be able to create something like this. That's why, the best thing is to just start. I had a general idea of what I wanted to do. I wanted 1 or 2 car lifts (have a 3d printable project but I am still waiting on my friend to finish building his house, so he'll have time to print that for me), I wanted many vintage looking signs/ads hanging on the walls, a desk, a set of shelves, tools, barrels and so on. I just started placing stuff where I wanted and kept adding to it and now I am where I am. I work a lot, and have 3 kids, so free time is a very rare commodity, that's why I would work on my diorama for 30 mins to an hour once in a while (occasionally more). I believe it took me a little over a month to get where I am, which I think is actually not that bad. I hope this helps to get you started, too.

Here are the latest images after I added some car parts boxes and a door. I am really happy how the door turned out. :yahoo:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   badday65

badday65

• DX Community
  • 4 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Sunstar
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

Amazing work!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.