1:18 Toyota GT86 AUTOart - Mad Fat Pikachu - DX Custom Model Tuner Shop - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

1:18 Toyota GT86 AUTOart - Mad Fat Pikachu

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Mainly I am interested in 1:18 diecast models of Japanese cars that have all parts openable. But I also collect other brands. I love to photograph them
  • Number of Models:Currently 21
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart and Kyosho
  • Proud Citizen of:pl

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:26 AM

Hello everyone!

Another day another - another project. This time I am going to do biggest job in my life. But let's start from beginning... :smile:
I am just starting with modifying model cars. As for now swapping wheels not satisfies me so much as before - I want go with more. Everything started in 2018 - I wanted to build model with wide body kit. Some of possibilities at that time:
  • Nissan GT-R - I had one from Kyosho, but wanted keep it OEM;
  • Lamborghini Avantador - that could be good but I wanted do something different. Roadster's was and still are pretty expensive;
  • Toyota GT-86 - thats Japanese, I never had any... That could be really cool!
And that's how I started looking for GT-86 and body kit's. My goal - make full build in great style so I needed to get RHD one. I was started biding at Japanese auction's and... Finally bought great base model:

Posted Image

Actually new model for half of wanted price. Couldn't be better (^-^) All what I had to do was being patient and wait for model will come to me. After 2 months:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

After that - I started collecting part's for that build, but I will text about it at other time. As for now quick presentation (which is still secret) what is going on in my head:

Posted Image

As someone said - every model build it one off. But in this case it's gonna be really one off. Wanna know more? Follow this topic :danke:
And if you want - I made IG account for this build. You can find it when you will search "MadFatPika86"
1:18 stock & custom modelcars
Posted Image

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1756 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of:gb

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Interested to see where this goes!  There's a guy in the UK that bought a wrecked GT86 for 4k (the cheapest, oldest non-wrecked ones are still 10k here) and rebuilt it then fitted a Rocket Bunny kit.  There's a great thread on it at Pistonheads.

I keep meaning to upgrade my 1:18 to match all the mods I've made to my 1:1 but at the moment it's just a drawer full of 1:18 parts...

Posted Image

Collection thread (to be updated)

#3 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Mainly I am interested in 1:18 diecast models of Japanese cars that have all parts openable. But I also collect other brands. I love to photograph them

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

View Postspikyone, on 08 July 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Interested to see where this goes!  There's a guy in the UK that bought a wrecked GT86 for £4k (the cheapest, oldest non-wrecked ones are still £10k here) and rebuilt it then fitted a Rocket Bunny kit.  There's a great thread on it at Pistonheads.

I keep meaning to upgrade my 1:18 to match all the mods I've made to my 1:1 but at the moment it's just a drawer full of 1:18 parts...
Thank you :danke: It will goes really good way  :smile: Wow, the 1:1 looks awesome. Didn't checked whole building proccess but final set breaks my neck. How your 1:1 looks? Haha, I currently have parts in boxes in many places of my room :giggle: But I know what is in which box, just need to collect them in one place - at model.

Edited by evostard, 11 July 2020 - 07:26 AM.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

Externally my 1:1 is subtle - TE37SLs, recoloured tail lights, a TRD spoiler, and an aftermarket exhaust are all that's visible for now.  I bought a 1:18 licence plate but will need to make a block to mount it on the front.  There's a bunch of little things I need to change on the interior and the engine bay needs a makeover!

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

View Postspikyone, on 11 July 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Externally my 1:1 is subtle - TE37SLs, recoloured tail lights, a TRD spoiler, and an aftermarket exhaust are all that's visible for now.  I bought a 1:18 licence plate but will need to make a block to mount it on the front.  There's a bunch of little things I need to change on the interior and the engine bay needs a makeover!
Well, sometimes less means more :yahoo:  Like my A6 - just lowered it and putted some nice wheels and that makes job (^-^) I see, I am going to... Anyway - my GT86 will have clear front - without number plate  :rolleyes:  If I may know what you want to change in interior?
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:40 PM

Hello
I want to show you step by step building of my 86 so... Let's start with some photos of stock base model:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next time - I will show you some of part's that I will use. I will try to post updates more often.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

View Postevostard, on 11 July 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

Well, sometimes less means more :yahoo:  Like my A6 - just lowered it and putted some nice wheels and that makes job (^-^) I see, I am going to... Anyway - my GT86 will have clear front - without number plate  :rolleyes:  If I may know what you want to change in interior?

Yeah, I'm not into changing things for the sake of it on my 1:1.  If you're not into cars, you probably wouldn't notice my 1:1 is modified!
I have red seats like the model but without all the other red trim so it needs some detail painting, and there are some slight changes to the dashboard. Some of the standard materials in the 1:1 look a little cheap, so I swapped in parts from a JDM BRZ that look much nicer. More painting and maybe a little flocking in the 1:18 should make it look the same.  I might need to scratch build the arm rest as I don't think the model has that.

I have some engine mods coming soon for the 1:1 that will also need some scratch building on the 1:18. Once the 1:1 is done I might finally start on building the 1:18!  The AUTOart version is quite a nice starting point.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

View Postspikyone, on 11 July 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

View Postevostard, on 11 July 2020 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm not into changing things for the sake of it on my 1:1.  If you're not into cars, you probably wouldn't notice my 1:1 is modified!
I have red seats like the model but without all the other red trim so it needs some detail painting, and there are some slight changes to the dashboard. Some of the standard materials in the 1:1 look a little cheap, so I swapped in parts from a JDM BRZ that look much nicer. More painting and maybe a little flocking in the 1:18 should make it look the same.  I might need to scratch build the arm rest as I don't think the model has that.

I have some engine mods coming soon for the 1:1 that will also need some scratch building on the 1:18. Once the 1:1 is done I might finally start on building the 1:18!  The AUTOart version is quite a nice starting point.
Well, actually I am interested in cars but I'm not checking forums and not watching project's - just dont have time for that :/ Its good that I started posting here lol
I never sitted in real 86 but when I see photos I can imagine how plastic it is inside... What I love about dashboard is that some people moving out original plastic part over glove box and replacing it with gauge set - that looks awesome as for me and I would go with it in my 1:18 project but need second dashboard :/
I see... I am also planning make some mod's for 86 boxer engine until I will find something... What suits to idea in my head lol Yeah, it is good for start with modification's but I will make later post's of it (^-^)
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

Delivery time!

Okay - when part's are coming we can reaaallllyyy start working on. I could use shipping company but decided to get my body kit by my Audi and... Here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay - bumper is too big so had to take second tour for it - that what happens when you choosing limo than Avant :giggle:

Posted Image

All part's on ground, now!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let's start fitting it to body of GT86:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now - I am wondering should I cut little piece of rear bumper and fenders... New wheels (that will be uncommon) might not fit there...

Posted Image

But - that's not so huge problem. Bigger problem is - disassembly whole model without any part's broken. That is really huge challange for me because I want it looks perfect... Something about this body kit - on photos it is little adjusted but when it came to me it had some resin things that it shouldnt had - I sanded them but still got to work on it. That is first body kit that I ever bought and okay - I could use TK's one but he dont have Rocket Bunny V2 :sad: That's why I decided to get this one - with ducktail.
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:00 AM

View Postevostard, on 12 July 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Well, actually I am interested in cars but I'm not checking forums and not watching project's - just dont have time for that :/ Its good that I started posting here lol
I never sitted in real 86 but when I see photos I can imagine how plastic it is inside... What I love about dashboard is that some people moving out original plastic part over glove box and replacing it with gauge set - that looks awesome as for me and I would go with it in my 1:18 project but need second dashboard :/
I see... I am also planning make some mod's for 86 boxer engine until I will find something... What suits to idea in my head lol Yeah, it is good for start with modification's but I will make later post's of it (^-^)

Ha, sorry, didn't mean you personally - I meant generally people who aren't into cars wouldn't notice mine is modified!
The gauge pod modification in the dash is cool.  One of my next mods will give me a Bluetooth connector that will display that information on my car's head unit - it will be totally customisable to show whatever I want, and I'll be able to use the head unit to change settings in my remap.

Interesting update on your model build, I really like the idea of delivering parts using your Audi!

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:45 AM

View Postspikyone, on 13 July 2020 - 01:00 AM, said:

View Postevostard, on 12 July 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Ha, sorry, didn't mean you personally - I meant generally people who aren't into cars wouldn't notice mine is modified!
The gauge pod modification in the dash is cool.  One of my next mods will give me a Bluetooth connector that will display that information on my car's head unit - it will be totally customisable to show whatever I want, and I'll be able to use the head unit to change settings in my remap.

Interesting update on your model build, I really like the idea of delivering parts using your Audi!
Oh, okay :giggle:  Well, I am into cars but your profile pic and signature show's stock 86 :yahoo:
Yeah, it's really cool. If I will have skills good enough I will apply it to my 1:18. It will be something like in GT-R's display? It sounds cool.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:10 AM

Disassembly time!

Body kit need to be adjusted to model but that okay. I started removing everything piece by piece. Separate body from floor plate:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On floor plate you can see metal plate screwed on. I think that just makes model heavier which is good. Engine, interior and trunk are mounted by screws. Detach it! :yahoo:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see dashboard also have metal plate. It holds dashboard and also make's model heaver (I think).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both bumper was screwed to body shell and was glued little bit. As always I am mostly scared when removing windows and... This time it wasn't so bad - I broke JUST rear window :giggle: It's not so much broken but it hurst my eye - if someone will have it for sale I am interested in. I coulnd't found it in any shop with model parts... As for now - that's all. I will make perfect fitment body kit for body and some scratch build stuff - but can't show it :lol:
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:17 AM

Update!

When model is disassembled I started do some works with paint - to be exact removing it. All time in past I was using sandpaper what wasn't so successful and was taking definitely too much time. Because I was doing some paint fixing on my daily 1:1 I had stuff to remove paint from model much quicker. That's how chemistry worked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all pictures that I have. Few minutes after that I had to visit police office becouse they called me to be there at that day. I used removing gel only once, I need to use it one more time I think - there are still some paint spots. No matter of that I started doing some necessary stuff for my build like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah, that what I'm gonna put on my GT86 :yahoo:

But - lets change interior little bit. Some of you might remember my 350z (click to open, GIF is on bottom of 2nd page) that I posted time ago. I liked my idea of quick release steering wheel system so decided to do it here too. I have small collection of classic steering wheels (^-^)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is not glued to driving stick, I glued neo magnet to steering stick and all steering wheels also have neo magnets. So can change steering wheel at any time that I want.
Steering wheel is probably only thing that will be changed in interior of this model. I was thinking about bucket seats but... Changed mind. Maybe I will just add some light for interior by small SMD's or RGB bulb.
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:43 AM

Huuuge update!

Okay, I was busy last week but that's not mean I haven't moved on with build. Body don't have paint anymore and is ready to get new color but it will take while...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just in case I bought second body of GT86 from AUTOart spares.

Posted Image

Why I bought it? Well, I am going to cut fenders and bumpers to make whole body kit look clean. There can't be any piece of metal or plastic under kit. Yesterday I took quick shots to show you guys how it fit currently:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ducktail also need some adjusts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3902 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:bg

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:19 AM

Coming along quite nicely :yahoo:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#16 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:22 AM

View PostT1000, on 28 July 2020 - 03:19 AM, said:

Coming along quite nicely :yahoo:
Thank you :danke: I hope that whole build will go as smooth as it goes for now :lol:

Edited by evostard, 30 July 2020 - 01:23 AM.

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:35 AM

Another update...

Meanwhile I am working on body decided to do something with... Wheels. I am going to use TK's wheels of course and his tires - they are best quality in my opinion.
Rear wheels have deeper dish than front ones.

Posted Image

Some nice tires are here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

About tires - I want to make build with Toyo R888 but currently I am at financial limit for this build. But Bridgestones are also cool as for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see above I painted them in black but that's not final color. Who will guess what color they will have? Who will guess what center inserts I am gonna use for them?
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   RSIevolution

RSIevolution

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2441 posts
  • Interests:Music, 1:1 Cars, 1:18 Cars...
  • Number of Models:Unknown
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart- Kyosho- Minichamps- Norev, Ignition
  • Proud Citizen of:gr

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:32 AM

Very nice! Will you make any engine modifications?
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   evostard

evostard

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:28 AM

RSIevolution, on 30 July 2020 - 02:32 AM, said:

Very nice! Will you make any engine modifications?
Yes, litte ones. For sure I need to add turbo from TK and IC from him and that's what I plan now. Mostly I would make swap for SR20DET but that's impossible because of my other plans for this build and its hard to get this engine.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.