Mercedes-Benz Saloons in 1/18 scale. Are they getting better? - DX Model Comparisons - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Mercedes-Benz Saloons in 1/18 scale. Are they getting better?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 928 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

Following the reviews and opinions of fellow collectors in this forum of the new and very handsome looking Mercedes-Benz 200 W123, I decided to have a look at one in detail and add to my o1/18 scale garage. And to compare it to the other Mercedes-Benz saloon I have by Norev.

Initial impressions out of the box are very impressive, particularly as the model is a full 360 access car, the first for a Mercedes-Benz W123. Side by side with the Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 also by Norev, it is clear that Norev have both models in correct proportion to each other. Both models I have are in Cypress green but there is a more subtle finish on the W116. The W123 has a deeper clear coat. The darker green interior of the W123 gives the windows an apparent tinted look.

For further comparison with a contemporary executive car, I compared it to the Ford Granda 2.3LS by BoS. The BoS however is a kerbside model, with no opening parts.

Norev's W123 is a particularly handsome car in this shade of metallic green with matching green interior.The fully opening features give an added dimension of enjoyment. However, compared to the other Mercedes-Benz executive saloon with fully opening parts by AUTOart, it's shortcomings in the chassis and engine are very clear. The interior detailing on the Norev is on a par with the AUTOart W124 though.

In summary, Norev's W123 is a superb model. It's certainly great value for the details and another hit for Norev. It's just that it costs around twice what I paid for the Mercedes-Benz E320 W124 by AUTOart And whilst I'm grateful that Norev have made this model. It's not as good as the model that in real life superceded it but in 1/18 scale preceded it by 10 years and for a lot less money.

What do you think?

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 10 July 2020 - 07:57 PM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2454 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

i love them all! :drool5: absolutely drooling over your green Mercs right now. Although to be frank I do think that the models made in the past during diecast model Heydays namely the Autoart Millennium series are still better i.e. the W124 you have above but I am very thankful that Norev still pumping out fully opening diecast models for us to appreciate in the days where sealed models are the norm. I do find the prices of the newer Mercedes offerings from Norev to be bit more than I would normally expect to pay but I guess that is how it is nowadays.. one gotta pay to play and at least they are not couple hundreds each... yet.  

I heard rumours that Norev might be attempting at a fully opening W115 next. If so I be thrilled. I missed the Autoart's fine W115 and althought i have a pair from Sunstar (coupe and saloon) but 4 opening doors version do sounds tempting to me just like Norev's upgrade over Revell W123.

#3 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

I’ve been waiting for this :-) thank you Kitefighter. The W123 looks devine in that deep green, and the interior looks so welcoming. So much so, that I’m chewing over whether to add this colour, too.

It’s interesting that it weighs more than AutoArt’s W124, which is also a fine diecast.

With respect to the price... I never feel short changed by Norev, and when it’s presenting a beautiful W123 that’s fully opening, then I think it’s a fair price.

I like your U.K. plates; the numbers and letters you chose... are they random or of particular significance to you?

#4 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 928 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thank you for your comments. I completely agree with you about Norev models. They are making some classy pieces at reasonable prices. This latest release is a case in point since the only three W123 releases in recent years by Otto, Cult Scale Models and KK Scale have been sealed so it's refreshing and welcome that Norev have made a superior model with opening parts.

Edited by kitefighter, 12 July 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31399 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:08 PM

The Green W123 with the Green on Green colourway looks absolutely fantastic! Man it looks s**t hot!!!

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#6 OFFLINE   kitefighter

kitefighter

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

The UK number plates are from a self assembly kit that allows you to make up custom number plates. I looked at pictures of real cars on flickr and pinterest of the same model and colour to study how faithful the model to their subjects. I liked the way that Corgi Vanguards models in 1/43 scale all have genuine UK number plates and the newer models have some information about and history of the car acssociated with the number plate and I thought I migt try to do the same with some of the models I have in 1/18 scale. .I found this adds an interest to the cars in the collection, knowing that they all have a unique history and story to tell.

From the DVLA, the Mercedes-Benz 200 is still on the road at over 170,000 miles which is typical of a W123. The W116 has passed its MOT at the 78,000 miles mark back in 2012 but has not been renewed since. The most likely reason for the car being SORN the very expensive running costs of the M100 engine. The Granada is an MOT failure and may have been scrapped.

Attached Files

Edited by kitefighter, 13 July 2020 - 03:14 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

View PostCraig, on 12 July 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

The Green W123 with the Green on Green colourway looks absolutely fantastic! Man it looks s**t hot!!!

I’m reading into that that you like it then? :-)

#8 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1748 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

I was really torn between the Norev W123 Green and Red. Since budget didn't allow me to get both, I ended up getting the English Red:

https://www.diecastx...h-red-by-norev/

Posted ImageIMG_4713 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4718 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4729 by tanayast, on Flickr

#9 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2454 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:26 PM

Both red and green looks absolutely amazing in your photos guys and I think the stock photos on the diecast model sites dont do these beauties any justice. They looked a little too dark and dull on those stock photos. I wonder if anyone has bought the cheaper dark blue version of the W123 and their thoughts on that. I think they are either EUR89.95 or 99.95 which is EUR20 less than the dealer version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.