Your top-3 most beautiful 1:18 vintage car models (let's say until 1980) - DX Classic | Vintage - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Your top-3 most beautiful 1:18 vintage car models (let's say until 1980)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

Dear all,

Perhaps this topic has passed this forum already many times, but I was just wondering what you believe is your top-3 most beautiful 1:18 models of vintage cars (let's say - of cars built until 1980) ?

I'm always interested to learn about models which I haven't thought of yet.

Personally, I really like e.g.

- the 'DIRTY' / 'End of Race' models from BBR - e.g. I have BBR1836DIRTY: Ferrari 250 TDF - 24H Le Mans 1959 - S/N 1321 GT Car N. 11 "End Of Race Version"

- and of course the detail of CMC models, like M-055 - 1931 Mercedes-Benz SSKL - Mille Miglia

- as well as the beauty of Amalgam models, like their latest Porsche 917K - 1970 Daytona Winner "Race Weathered"

What are your favourites ?

Attached Files

Edited by Quant, 19 July 2020 - 11:47 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12434 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

Welcome and good question. Maybe you would like to introduce yourself in the welcome section so we can all say hello to you. :yahoo: :occasion14:
The first that springs to mind is the CMC Ferrari California,CMC 250 GTO SWB,Bugatti 57SC crocodile leather version. :danke: :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1924 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

Fully agreed, Darren! :agreed:
I would also like to nominate Exoto‘s XS Jaguar D-Type - it’s simply the best 1/18 diecast I‘ve seen so far and a true beauty anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   spikyone

spikyone

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1756 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Spark, TSM
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

Yeah I'd love one of those D Types.  CMC's Maserati Birdcage is probably the most beautiful model that I do own.

Posted Image

Collection thread (to be updated)

#5 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5520 posts
  • Number of Models:110-120
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, older Autoart and UT, Cult, Tecnomodel
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

Great topic :yahoo:

My top 3, and this was not easy to choose:

AutoArt Jaguar XKSS

Posted Image

CMC Talbot Lago Figoni & Falaschi T150C SS Teardrop Coupé

.Posted Image

CMC Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

Those are indeed beautiful.

Interesting choice though - the XKSS, why not the D-type ?
(which I think is just a bit more 'tough', and by that - more beautiful - then the XKSS)

Edited by Quant, 15 July 2020 - 10:49 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

And I just clicked on your photostream, and must say - that AUTOart XK13 is also very impressive:

Posted Image

Edited by Quant, 15 July 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2931 posts
  • Interests:European patent prosecution
  • Favorite Brands:no favorite

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:27 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In my opinion, 60's exotic cars resonate well with our current taste of beauty.

Posted Image
Feel free to have a look of my collection on DX.
http://www.diecastxc...dels-kyosho-m5/

#9 OFFLINE   AddictedtoDiecastinOz

AddictedtoDiecastinOz

• DX Community
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale Classic American models 1930s-1950s, Model Hot Rods (love the '32s), Australian Touring Car Racers pre 1987. Vintage Marques such as Duesenberg, Cord, Pierce Arrow etc.
  • Number of Models:Not counting small scale stuff which would be in the hundreds.
    Around 50 in 1/18. I only starting collecting 1/18 scale a year back.
  • Favorite Brands:GMP/ACME, Franklin Mint, Biante, ClassicCarlectables
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:45 AM

View PostQuant, on 15 July 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

(which I think is just a bit more 'tough', and by that - more beautiful - then the XKSS)

It really does come down to individual preferences I believe. To me, for example if we are talking Jag, I still find the '61 E Type absolutely beautiful but I know a lot of aficionados who don't see it like that.

I love 30's marques, but a lot of collectors see more beauty in post 1960 Muscles.

Whatever rocks your personal boat.

That's the beauty of our "hobby".

Ray

#10 OFFLINE   AddictedtoDiecastinOz

AddictedtoDiecastinOz

• DX Community
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:1/18 scale Classic American models 1930s-1950s, Model Hot Rods (love the '32s), Australian Touring Car Racers pre 1987. Vintage Marques such as Duesenberg, Cord, Pierce Arrow etc.
  • Number of Models:Not counting small scale stuff which would be in the hundreds.
    Around 50 in 1/18. I only starting collecting 1/18 scale a year back.
  • Favorite Brands:GMP/ACME, Franklin Mint, Biante, ClassicCarlectables

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:54 AM

View Postferrariforever, on 16 July 2020 - 04:27 AM, said:

In my opinion, 60's exotic cars resonate well with our current taste of beauty.

Are these pics you've taken yourself or are they stock photos? Only asking because these are exactly how I'd like to show my models but I just don't have the skills and I'm always hunting for ideas.

Edited by Mike K, 20 July 2020 - 01:36 AM.
don't quote images, thank you

#11 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

Stock pictures taken by CMC and AUTOart.

#12 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

View Postferrariforever, on 16 July 2020 - 04:27 AM, said:

Ah yes - the CMC M-076 - the original 'race version' of the Uhlenhaut, without the exhaust silencer and with the red interior:

Posted Image

I'm still doubting which one I like best - M-076 or M-088 - the personal company car of Rudolf Uhlenhaut, with the exhaust silencer and blue interior (instead of the red interior):

Posted Image   Posted Image

Edited by Mike K, 20 July 2020 - 01:36 AM.
quoted images removed

#13 OFFLINE   Baron von Zach

Baron von Zach

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 351 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Norev
  • Proud Citizen of: at

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

That's an incredibly tough one for me. 99% of my collection is cars built before 1980.
Because I'm the Baron. That's why.

#14 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

In my opinion the blue interior SLR is rarer than the red interior SLR thus the price is higher. But the red one is sleeker and more beautiful. So I bought the red one.

#15 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1882 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:13 AM

Since CMC is doing extraordinary job on all models, I expect people to mention more or less all of their models. And truth to be said, if you are buying road car made by CMC from my experience, unless that is SL, you can not go wrong. Simply all details are there and cars are amazing. SL might be a problem because it is very old model and it is not on the level what we consider CMC to be today. However, it is still an interesting model. And in some sense, we can maybe even argue that it has hit soul of the model better than Norev. And yes, I have both so I know what I am talking about. Norev is way more acceptable model in todays standards than CMC, but due to leather seats and cloth top, CMC has hit it as an elegant and prestige car.

Now, let me talk about few models that I think are really good and should be mentioned, but I think no one will do it.

First: Ricko BMW Dixi

Posted Image

When I bought this car 9 years ago, it blowed my mind. Car is beautifully done and it has lots of nice details. Side markers are working, you can lift wind shield, suspension has actual threads like where a real car has chains. AUTOart also did Dixi, but latter version 3/15. And it is even better than Ricko version, but that is something we expect AUTOart to do, so that is why I will not choose AUTOart.

Second: Exoto Shelby AC Cobra

Posted Image

I am putting this version with hard top because that is the one I have. I remember the day I looked at Exoto website and it was $94. I didn't got it, so that i can get it 6 months or so latter for 177 of e-bay. As any exoto model, there is bunch of details, and bla, bla, bla. However, what I really like about this one is the engine. In some models they have air filter so you really don't see much, but here. . .

Posted Image

Third: ACME Buick Riviera 1964

Posted Image

This model is actually done by HW61. If I am not wrong ACME just got the molds and did it from there. Models has tons of details, but what really blows my mind is paint shade. Is absolutely stunning. I really like the tone of the color. Unfortunately, I don't think this pic really represents the color as good as it is, I did try to find better, but I couldn't. ACME also did this car in green, and from what I saw, it was worth buying. But since I already have red, I skipped it. Only problem I have with the model it is not 1965 GS version. But even like this, it is mind blowing.

Few models that I am not putting on my list, but I think deserve to be mentioned:

Porsche 934 by Exoto and Schuco.

Exoto version has probably the best detailed Porsche engine ever. When you look if from the floor of the car you have hard time to believe they actually did it. However, when you open hood up. . . I was not impressed as much. However, on 935 both top ad bottom were mouth watering. Schuco version is not bad either. It is quite nice comparing it to Exoto and I think top part of the engine might be better (however bottom part, Exoto wins by enormous margin), maybe that is just on my models I don't want to claim for general. Also, there was a debate which orange Jagermeister is better and I think they claimed Schuco was.

Exoto

Posted Image

Schuco

Since I can not share pics, just click on link to see them.
https://www.schuco.d...1-18-450033900/

ACME Pontiac 1966 GTO in green.

The best way to describe how good is that green on that car might be it fits it, like a slap to an idiot. Also, other details are there as well, but color is what it makes it stand out from the crowd BIG time.

Posted Image

Edited by . . ., 19 July 2020 - 12:21 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1882 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:19 AM

View Postferrariforever, on 18 July 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

In my opinion the blue interior SLR is rarer than the red interior SLR thus the price is higher. But the red one is sleeker and more beautiful. So I bought the red one.

Blue interior one was more expensive from the day one. I don't know why, but it was. It was not a lot more expensive, just few tens ($20-30). I'm guessing due to it being limited compared to red one.

#17 OFFLINE   ferrariforever

ferrariforever

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2931 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Putting the value and limited edition aside, do people really think the blue one is more beautiful than the red interior SLR?

#18 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4728 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

To me the interior colour of the 300SLR is secondary to the ugly silencer on the Uhlenhaut version.
I can understand regulations for road use required the silencer (or the driver's ears), but a more subtle system could have been implemented.
I have two models to add to this thread, I can't decide on the third yet.....

#19 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1882 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

View Postferrariforever, on 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM, said:

Putting the value and limited edition aside, do people really think the blue one is more beautiful than the red interior SLR?

I find red interior one more pure and clean. If you look at blue you have muffler on one side, and you have also some wind deflector and a scoop on the hood. While on on the red, it is just clean car. No additions.
Which color scheme inside do I find better is a good question. Because I have both, I don't ask myself that question and I didn't debate it for a very long time (practically since I bought both of them). Might be that I was leaning more towards blue back in the day.

#20 ONLINE   samx5

samx5

• DX Community
  • 27 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Whichever looks the most realistic

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:06 PM

View Post. . ., on 19 July 2020 - 12:13 AM, said:

Since CMC is doing extraordinary job on all models, I expect people to mention more or less all of their models. And truth to be said, if you are buying road car made by CMC from my experience, unless that is SL, you can not go wrong. Simply all details are there and cars are amazing. SL might be a problem because it is very old model and it is not on the level what we consider CMC to be today. However, it is still an interesting model. And in some sense, we can maybe even argue that it has hit soul of the model better than Norev. And yes, I have both so I know what I am talking about. Norev is way more acceptable model in todays standards than CMC, but due to leather seats and cloth top, CMC has hit it as an elegant and prestige car.

Now, let me talk about few models that I think are really good and should be mentioned, but I think no one will do it.

First: Ricko BMW Dixi

When I bought this car 9 years ago, it blowed my mind. Car is beautifully done and it has lots of nice details. Side markers are working, you can lift wind shield, suspension has actual threads like where a real car has chains. AUTOart also did Dixi, but latter version 3/15. And it is even better than Ricko version, but that is something we expect AUTOart to do, so that is why I will not choose AUTOart.

Second: Exoto Shelby AC Cobra

I am putting this version with hard top because that is the one I have. I remember the day I looked at Exoto website and it was $94. I didn't got it, so that i can get it 6 months or so latter for 177 of e-bay. As any exoto model, there is bunch of details, and bla, bla, bla. However, what I really like about this one is the engine. In some models they have air filter so you really don't see much, but here. . .

Third: ACME Buick Riviera 1964

This model is actually done by HW61. If I am not wrong ACME just got the molds and did it from there. Models has tons of details, but what really blows my mind is paint shade. Is absolutely stunning. I really like the tone of the color. Unfortunately, I don't think this pic really represents the color as good as it is, I did try to find better, but I couldn't. ACME also did this car in green, and from what I saw, it was worth buying. But since I already have red, I skipped it. Only problem I have with the model it is not 1965 GS version. But even like this, it is mind blowing.

Few models that I am not putting on my list, but I think deserve to be mentioned:

Porsche 934 by Exoto and Schuco.

Exoto version has probably the best detailed Porsche engine ever. When you look if from the floor of the car you have hard time to believe they actually did it. However, when you open hood up. . . I was not impressed as much. However, on 935 both top ad bottom were mouth watering. Schuco version is not bad either. It is quite nice comparing it to Exoto and I think top part of the engine might be better (however bottom part, Exoto wins by enormous margin), maybe that is just on my models I don't want to claim for general. Also, there was a debate which orange Jagermeister is better and I think they claimed Schuco was.

Exoto

Schuco

Since I can not share pics, just click on link to see them.
https://www.schuco.d...1-18-450033900/

ACME Pontiac 1966 GTO in green.

The best way to describe how good is that green on that car might be it fits it, like a slap to an idiot. Also, other details are there as well, but color is what it makes it stand out from the crowd BIG time.

I love the Riviera, it's good to know that this is a quality model.  I too am looking for a 1965 Gran Sport, the ultimate Riviera, and I can't believe that HW61/Acme haven't done one yet, it's arguably one of the top 5 most beautiful US designed cars of all time.  I'll wait a bit longer for someone to do a 1965 GS, hopefully it happens!  Automodello did a beautiful 1965 GS, but it was a sealed 1:24 and it is very expensive.

Edited by Mike K, 20 July 2020 - 01:37 AM.
don't quote images, thank you

#21 OFFLINE   Mike K

Mike K

• DX Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 5520 posts
  • Number of Models:110-120
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, older Autoart and UT, Cult, Tecnomodel

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:48 AM

View PostQuant, on 15 July 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

In my eyes, the XKSS is even more elegant than the D-Type, especially in the pearl color.  I have the AutoArt D-Type Prototype right next to it on my shelves.  In fact, over 100 models on my shelves by now, and I think that I've spent more time staring at that XKSS than any other one... I just see it as the perfect looking car.

#22 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1882 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

View Postsamx5, on 19 July 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

I love the Riviera, it's good to know that this is a quality model.  I too am looking for a 1965 Gran Sport, the ultimate Riviera, and I can't believe that HW61/Acme haven't done one yet, it's arguably one of the top 5 most beautiful US designed cars of all time.  I'll wait a bit longer for someone to do a 1965 GS, hopefully it happens!  Automodello did a beautiful 1965 GS, but it was a sealed 1:24 and it is very expensive.

I agree with everything you say. If you like it, try to get one. I never regret getting my. It is gorgeous model. At some point it they release some color combos that I like, I might get another one. It is simply beautiful model and well done too.

#23 OFFLINE   UDPride

UDPride

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 451 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AutoArt

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

I have so many in boxes in storage I had to go back to my photos and see if I ordered the Uhlenhaut as I take photos when they arrive before I put them back in the box (out of display room for now). Oh man I did!  Shwing!  I now remember when I got it. All CMCs are grand but I concur it really is something else. The hand-threaded spoke wheels are insane. I wonder how much these monkeys are going for nowadays.

Posted Image

I'll skip other CMCs b/c they'd easily make the list, so here's one I like as much as any CMC I own. The Kyosho 1977 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competizione:

Posted Image

Let me just say this was the PINNACLE of Kyosho in its heyday. This thing is easily at the level of Exoto and maybe even better than some Exotos. The details, fit/finish are just crazy good. I think I paid maybe $140 for this back then but it was worth double that.  This was at a time when Kyosho still gave a darn but this specific model must have been somebody's pet project at Kyosho because its like no expense was spared on this.   Someone green-lighted it b/c it was a labor of love.   So yes Kyosho CAN compete with the big boys if if wanted to. Sadly those days are long gone.
2006 CAYMAN S GUARDS RED | 1988 911 TURBO COUPE GUARDS RED | 2005 BMW M3 COUPE PHOENIX YELLOW | 1997 BMW M3 SEDAN HELLROT

#24 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Does anybody know what makes Amalgam models so expensive, even when compared to e.g. CMC ?

Here in Europe, most CMC models retail for around €400-500 directly from CMC (RSP as private buyer, not reseller); often a bit lower prices can be found when searching retailers.
But Amalgam models sell for at least €700 through AmalgamCollection.com and around the same price elsewhere (e.g. new models via eBay).

Is there a 'genuine reason' they are more expensive ? E.g. even more detail, lower volume production (even though most models are not (explicitly) limited)

What I find also interesting is that the Amalgam model don't seem to depreciate, whereas if you search (long and hard) you always manage to find a deal on a CMC model compared to the RSP.

Does anybody know more details behind this ?

Edited by Quant, 21 July 2020 - 01:45 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   UDPride

UDPride

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 451 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AutoArt

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

I think it depends on the CMC model concerning deals.  At least in the USA they seem to stay near MSRP no matter what, with quite a few doubling value or more once they exhaust their run. The Ferraris, racing Mercedes, Jags, Maseratis, etc.   I try to buy my CMCs when say Replicarz has a sitewide sale so I can get a price knock on the MSRP, but I rarely see CMCs discounted in the USA as a standing price. If you want some bucks off you need to snap them up on a temporary sale.

My CMCs have been very kind to me financially. As good or better than my retirement plan in terms of %.  And unlike my retirement plan, I get enjoyment out of their ownership while I have them in my possession.   With the price of AutoArts and others now getting into that $180-200 price point, spending a little to truly get heirloom quality is in my opinion smart sense/cents. Yes it may cost you another $200, but youll financially insulate yourself long-term and probably never lose your money.

In my opinion the older classic CMC models...the Bugattis and Audis etc are very good buys right now. Still at MSRP...but at the MSRP from 6-7-8 years ago which is around $315 USD.  They will never be worth less.
2006 CAYMAN S GUARDS RED | 1988 911 TURBO COUPE GUARDS RED | 2005 BMW M3 COUPE PHOENIX YELLOW | 1997 BMW M3 SEDAN HELLROT

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

capri_korn, samx5

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.