Bburago Ferrari Monza SP1 - REBUILD - ROBSMC's Portfolio - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Bburago Ferrari Monza SP1 - REBUILD

96 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    My Youtube channel - Robs Model Cars
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars
  • Number of Models:Last count over 200
  • Favorite Brands:bbr, mr, frontiart, autoart
  • Proud Citizen of:†au

Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

I have just reviewed this model for a YouTube video and now that's done, I plan to completely rebuild this model. Overall the stock model is really very good for the money (US$45.00) but not up to the standard of a resin BBR model. So the body is very good on the model, exactly the same size as the BBR model (I measured them both) but some misalignment on the nose and the door gap is uneven. All the carbon fiber is molded plastic, but with a glossy look and from a distance, does look like decal. But I will sand all those parts down and apply carbon decal and 2K gloss them. I will also upgrade the brakes, the interior and of coarse a new color scheme on the body.

Here is the stock model.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Body disassembled and all pieces that are attached to the body removed as well. It did not take long as it is a Bburago after all.
Posted Image
The door gap at the bottom front was almost touching, so I used a metal file to file some off and make the gap parallel as you see it now in this pic
Posted Image
This is the front of the body turned upside down, and you can see that the upper hood overhangs the front valance on both sides. This is pretty poor and a bad mistake in the prototype and castings
Posted Image

Posted Image
I used the Dremel with a fine sanding drum to remove the excess from both sides of the front hood to flush all the surfaces up. I finished that off with hand sanding
Posted Image

Posted Image
Much better looking now and once repainted, you will never know this was corrected
Posted Image
And the side mirrors have a casting line in them, top and bottom, so they have to be removed
Posted Image
I just filed and sanded the mold lines off
Posted Image
I then disassembled all the components that were attached to the rolling chassis that was unscrewed from the body. The interior parts on this model are what let it down. Bburago's famous textured plastic to look like leather really makes these models look very cheap. Such a good effort on the body, interior improvements could have made this model so much better. I have my work cut out for me on the interior.
Posted Image
I had these correct shape Ferrari calipers and rotors in the parts box, so these will be repainted and replace the Bburago items on the model.
Posted Image
That's it for now, I will be moving on to stripping the paint and repainting the body next. Stay tuned. Cheers

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3902 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:†bg

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:11 AM

So the Monza is out? Or did you get an "early release" for the review?

I really like the car, although I am not a fan of the stock color... I may bite the bullet and change it, too :drool5:
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#3 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, building race cars, collecting 1/18 model cars and building custom models, collecting watches and sneakers
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:21 AM

View PostT1000, on 18 July 2020 - 02:11 AM, said:

So the Monza is out? Or did you get an "early release" for the review?

I really like the car, although I am not a fan of the stock color... I may bite the bullet and change it, too :drool5:
I got an early release from China from Carloverdiecast. US$45.00    The model is really decent for the price, and is an excellent option to modify and repaint. Go for it T

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31399 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

Nice project Rob :)

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#5 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9078 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of:†ca

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

Looking forward to this one, itís a fine looking car
I mod stuff

Wes

#6 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1924 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:†de

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

Same with me! :yahoo:

#7 OFFLINE   looney

looney

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1504 posts
  • Favorite Brands:UT

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Wow. You never stop. It's one after another after another with you. Thanks for the content.

#8 ONLINE   preisman

preisman

Bronze Member

• DX Hall of Fame
  • PipPipPip
  • 12271 posts
  • Interests:Pink supercars and ugly French cars
  • Number of Models:Far too many
  • Favorite Brands:GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†us

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

Good to see this getting an upgrade, and new paint.

I REALLY (x10) want a unique, custom painted SP1. But, starting with a BBR, or even a Looksmart, just becomes too damn expensive. This might be the best way to get what I want.

#9 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

View PostCraig, on 18 July 2020 - 05:27 AM, said:

Nice project Rob :)
Cheers Craig

View PostStratosWRC, on 18 July 2020 - 07:31 AM, said:

Looking forward to this one, it's a fine looking car
Cheers Craig :giggle: Had a coffee now Wes

View Postvulpex, on 18 July 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

Same with me! :yahoo:
Thanks Dirk

View Postlooney, on 18 July 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

Wow. You never stop. It's one after another after another with you. Thanks for the content.
Thanks, plenty of time on my hands now that this world is in a strange time.

View Postpreisman, on 18 July 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

Good to see this getting an upgrade, and new paint.

I REALLY (x10) want a unique, custom painted SP1. But, starting with a BBR, or even a Looksmart, just becomes too damn expensive. This might be the best way to get what I want.
Thanks Jon, I will be publishing the review of this model on YouTube on Tuesday so you will get a good look at it then. I have also filmed a comparison video between the Bburago and the BBR, and that will come on YouTube in a few days after that. It is surprising how close these models are when side by side. This Bburago is a great start to build yourself a custom. Go for it.

#10 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:23 PM

UPDATE 19/07/2020

This afternoon I got all the paint removed from the diecast body, and boy, this was hard! It took 3 rounds of paint stripper to remove all the paint of this Bburago body. Toughest paint on a diecast body to date. In comparison, Hotwheels models, one coat of stripper and the paint is gone. But these parts are now ready for 2K primer tomorrow.
Posted Image
Seat and brake calipers ready for some primer and yellow paint
Posted Image
And the wheels will be a diamond finish, so these will be sprayed dark gunmetal, then silver applied on the outer rim and spoke face.
Posted Image
And I just remembered to remove the old diecast pins that held the oversized mirror bases to the underside of the front hood. I just used the Dremel to grind these away and then a sanding drum to smooth them out
Posted Image
I then cut off the huge mirror tabs off the bottom of the mirrors and then glued these to the hood so I can paint this all in one go and not have the large gaps around the base of the mirrors.
Posted Image
I then ground down all the sharp edges of the door hinge arm to smooth it out and reduce the size slightly to make it look a bit more delicate
Posted Image
And I also cut out some metal from the inner sides of the front mouth as I will be adding some real photo etch mesh in the front. More to come tomorrow. Cheers
Posted Image

Edited by ROBSMC, 19 July 2020 - 12:04 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   janositamas

janositamas

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1393 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, car photography
  • Number of Models:90 (02.2020.)
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, LookSmart, HWE, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†hu

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

Good color combo to go for, also nice improvements so far. Although I have 2 versions of the Looksmart ones, I can't wait for these Bburagos to arrive to Europe (I can't believe I just said this, haha) with the same intention, to repaint it with some custom paint. I will follow your build with much interest, good luck!

#12 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:09 AM

View Postjanositamas, on 18 July 2020 - 11:50 PM, said:

Good color combo to go for, also nice improvements so far. Although I have 2 versions of the Looksmart ones, I can't wait for these Bburagos to arrive to Europe (I can't believe I just said this, haha) with the same intention, to repaint it with some custom paint. I will follow your build with much interest, good luck!
Thanks Tamas, I know what you mean when you said you can't wait for a Bburago. I can't believe I bought one either, but I was pleasantly surprised. And although one of these sitting next to a Looksmart/BBR will not look as good, these are a good base for a custom and I am excited to see how this turns out.
And I could not find a color I liked of real cars for this model, then I found this pic of someones drawing, Nero Daytona with a yellow nose cap and the whole upper deck in yellow also with a yellow seat. I love this spec alot.

#13 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:38 PM

UPDATE 20/07/2020

I got all the body and parts painted in white 2K primer today, and now I can start the painting process tomorrow. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   janositamas

janositamas

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1393 posts
  • Interests:Cars, photography, car photography
  • Number of Models:90 (02.2020.)
  • Favorite Brands:BBR, LookSmart, HWE, GT Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of:†hu

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:47 PM

It looks smooth and flawless, can't wait to see it im color :-)

#15 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:40 AM

UPDATE 21/07/2020

Got the body painted today just in basecoat colors, still need to clear coat it once the body decal is applied. After I sanded the white primer, I then masked up the body and painted the yellow section first. I let the yellow dry for an hour (the basecoat dries in around 20 minutes) then I back masked the yellow and sprayed the Nero Daytona black metallic.
Posted Image
I also painted the calipers in yellow to match the body, and I also primed and painted the stock wheels in black basecoat. I still have to clear these parts too.
Posted Image
Seat also sprayed in the same matching yellow
Posted Image
I again printed out my own decals, MONZA SP1 logo for the side of the hump behind the drivers seat, and some Ferrari Cavelino's for the seat headreast. Also a name plate decal for the base when the model is finished
Posted Image
Decal applied to the body. I let these dry for 24 hours, and then when I clear coat the body, this will be under the clear.
Posted Image
Ferrari decals added to the calipers. I will clear coat over these as well.
Posted Image
I decided to add some carbon decal to the back of the seat like on the BBR version, so I just made a template of one side in masking tape, and then transfer the tape to the decal and cut them out.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Decal applied, and this will all be matt carbon after I matt clear the front of the seat to look more like material. The yellow basecoat is somewhat shiny and I don't want that
Posted Image
Cavellino added to the seat headrest and the center section of the seat hand painted in matt black. The matt clear coat will 'flatten' all this out. That's it for today, more to come tomorrow. Cheers
Posted Image

Edited by ROBSMC, 21 July 2020 - 03:02 AM.

#16 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2483 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:02 AM

Wow ... just wow Rob, all the little touches you're adding, the colours ... this thing is looking niiiicceeee.

#17 OFFLINE   drivinghermad

drivinghermad

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12434 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Peako,Frontiart,Amalgam
  • Proud Citizen of:†gb

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:36 AM

Another epic model Rob,so cool to see your fantastic work. :10: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:

#18 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:32 AM

View PostPhatboi101, on 21 July 2020 - 03:02 AM, said:

Wow ... just wow Rob, all the little touches you're adding, the colours ... this thing is looking niiiicceeee.
Thanks Mark, I am trying to get this model as close to a BBR as possible, so I have a nice opening version that will sit well next to the BBR's

View Postdrivinghermad, on 21 July 2020 - 04:36 AM, said:

Another epic model Rob,so cool to see your fantastic work. :10: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :yahoo: :occasion14:
Thanks Darren, hopefully it turn's out how I see it in my head

UPDATE 22/07/2020

Well I wanted to clear coat the body but the weather turned nasty and is raining. So instead, I made a start on all the parts that have textured carbon, which is a lot!
Posted Image
All the texture had to be sanded off, so this all took around 4 hours to make the plastic smooth enough so it is ready for carbon fiber decals. Even the decal process is going to take several hours, but that is more enjoyable than sanding. Here's all the parts sanded.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
More to come. Cheers

#19 OFFLINE   giamino

giamino

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2828 posts
  • Favorite Brands:kyosho, maisto, bbr
  • Proud Citizen of:†my

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:04 AM

Love the black and yellow, Rob! Can already tell this would be another stunner :drool5:

#20 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1924 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of:†de

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

I do not only admire your modding skills, Rob, but also the speed of your progress!! :eusa_clap:
My last visit was just 2 days ago and now it seems you now are already almost finished with the paint job... :omg:
BTW: This colour combo is amazing!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

#21 OFFLINE   colourkin22

colourkin22

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1306 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music/Drums, Things that move, Diecast.
  • Favorite Brands:Highway 61/Kyosho/Pocher/Ertl..etc.
  • Proud Citizen of:†ca

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Nice work Mr. Rob, this is turning into another quick stunner of a build.  I actually like the original retro paint scheme and would get one, if I knew where to get on here in the Americas for a decent price; though the black and yellow is going to look sweet.
Full Collection @ https://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/59177-colourkins-collection/

#22 OFFLINE   scenic

scenic

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 267 posts
  • Number of Models:80+
  • Favorite Brands:Almost Real, Autoart, HWE
  • Proud Citizen of:†in

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

Wow very impressed by how good you are at custom mods. I've been wanting to this for a long time and I think this will be my first model for that. Do post pictures of how you go about the process of making custom grilles. That's one thing I'd really like to learn. Really looking forward to see the end result. Cheers!

#23 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:10 PM

View Postgiamino, on 22 July 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

Love the black and yellow, Rob! Can already tell this would be another stunner :drool5:
Cheers mate, I hope it will be a stunner.

View Postvulpex, on 22 July 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

I do not only admire your modding skills, Rob, but also the speed of your progress!! :eusa_clap:
My last visit was just 2 days ago and now it seems you now are already almost finished with the paint job... :omg:
BTW: This colour combo is amazing!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Thanks Dirk, can't go wrong with black and yellow

View Postcolourkin22, on 22 July 2020 - 02:43 PM, said:

Nice work Mr. Rob, this is turning into another quick stunner of a build.  I actually like the original retro paint scheme and would get one, if I knew where to get on here in the Americas for a decent price; though the black and yellow is going to look sweet.
Thanks man, they will be eventually available in the US & Canada, I got mine from China which was released first.

View Postscenic, on 22 July 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

Wow very impressed by how good you are at custom mods. I've been wanting to this for a long time and I think this will be my first model for that. Do post pictures of how you go about the process of making custom grilles. That's one thing I'd really like to learn. Really looking forward to see the end result. Cheers!
Cheers, I will show every progress of this build.

#24 OFFLINE   ROBSMC

ROBSMC

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 2266 posts
    Facebook @RobsModelCars
    Instagram @RobsModelCars

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:18 PM

UPDATE 23/07/2020

Despite the weather not be that great today, I decided to clear the body and parts anyway. Here is the body and parts after a couple of hours drying in the spray booth.
Posted Image
The hood came out ok but does have 2 small bits of dust in it.
Posted Image
Front nose cap came out perfect as did the little door.
Posted Image
The body came out really good, except for the top yellow section opposite the driver where I got some 'fish eyes' so when this dries I will just sand the clear there and reclear just the yellow section by masking up the black part of the body.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The dreaded 'fish eyes'  no painter wants.
Posted Image
Wheels clear coated and the calipers too. Once the wheels dry, I will be able to do the silver paint on the edge of the spokes and the outer rim to make them look like 'diamond cut wheels'
Posted Image
Tamiya matt clear sprayed over the seat to take away any gloss or shine.
Posted Image
I found some yellow ribbon and made the racing seat belt set. More to come. Cheers
Posted Image

Edited by ROBSMC, 23 July 2020 - 01:36 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3902 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of:†bg

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:36 PM

Fantastic progress :yahoo: I planned to possibly make my Monza in some crazy color, but this combo looks very stylish :yahoo:  What paper do you use for the decals?
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.