Mercedes-Benz 200 (W123) - English Red by Norev - DX Sedan | Coupe | Convertible - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Jump to content


Mercedes-Benz 200 (W123) - English Red by Norev


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

I have tried to resist the temptation to get Norev’s release of the 1:18 Mercedes W123 since I already have the white KK and the green Revell versions. That was until I saw the English Red version. Then all restraints went out the window and I immediately ordered one :drool5:
After a month in transit, it finally arrived and was worth the wait! :yahoo:

To me the defining quality of this particular model is gorgeous color! The English Red really pops and showcases the W123 as the ultimate 80’s mid-size luxury sedan. I found it interesting that Norev chose to do the basic 200 version instead of the decked out 280E for this color. But here lies the charm of this low-spec Benz with its manual window and no-sunroof.  

There are a lot of review here already regarding the Norev W123. So I will just add as a diecast, it’s a FULL OPENING one! Which is pretty refreshing amidst the new releases sealed models. Build quality is good and I really love the red interior and the extended radio antennae. Chrome applications are really good and here is where Norev shines versus KK and Revell where they chose to paint the trims silver vs using chrome plating.

The biggest disappointment to me is the engine bay. It’s only molded piece of the upper half and not really a full engine block. Too bad Norev chose to do this route as the old Revell actually had the full engine block. The 3-pointed star ornament on the hood was a little flimsy as I had to reglued it out of the box.  

Here are some outdoor pictures of the Norev W123 200, along with the KK and Revell releases. I hope you enjoy them :occasion14:

Posted ImageIMG_4733 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4713 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4714 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4715 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4716 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4718 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4736 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4719 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4720 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4721 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4735 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4734 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4729 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4727 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4728 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4726 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4730 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4731 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4732 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4724 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4725 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4722 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4723 by tanayast, on Flickr

This last picture, I just want to show you the engine swap project I did to the Revell 230E a while ago. The engine came from Maisto’s SLK 230 Kompressor. So this is still technically a ‘230E’

Posted ImageIMG_4737 by tanayast, on Flickr

Edited by tanayast, 20 July 2020 - 01:29 PM.


Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

  • DieCastXChange.com



#2 OFFLINE   Cristi

Cristi

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1391 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:books and rock music \m/
  • Favorite Brands:Autoart, Kyosho, CMC, GTSpirit, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: ro

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

Wow :drool5: , this color is really stunning and quite unique. Looks so good in natural light. Love it :occasion14:

#3 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

View PostCristi, on 20 July 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

Wow :drool5: , this color is really stunning and quite unique. Looks so good in natural light. Love it :occasion14:

Thank you :occasion14:
The color is the reason I bought this one :nice:

#4 OFFLINE   cwbs

cwbs

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1216 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Any
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Lovely model, great color combo. The license plates are a subtle and clever touch, I like it :eusa_clap: :occasion14:

#5 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:16 AM

Those are great pics that really bring the W123 to life - nice one, mate :-)

I have one problem with Norev’s W123... I could make a case for having it in all colours! At the weekend I was looking again at Kitefighter’s gorgeous Cyprus Green one, and now I’m looking at yours in red and I’m torn between which one I like the most. Decisions, decisions... I think the general ‘correctness’ of this Norev, has been a pleasant surprise for many this year.

Thanks again for the great pics of a nice W123 line up.

#6 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

View Postcwbs, on 20 July 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

Lovely model, great color combo. The license plates are a subtle and clever touch, I like it :eusa_clap: :occasion14:

Thanks! Glad you noticed the new license plate :occasion14:
And I cannot overstress this but the color combo is amazing

View PostScuddy, on 20 July 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Those are great pics that really bring the W123 to life - nice one, mate :-)

I have one problem with Norev’s W123... I could make a case for having it in all colours! At the weekend I was looking again at Kitefighter’s gorgeous Cyprus Green one, and now I’m looking at yours in red and I’m torn between which one I like the most. Decisions, decisions... I think the general ‘correctness’ of this Norev, has been a pleasant surprise for many this year.

Thanks again for the great pics of a nice W123 line up.

Thanks and I'm glad you like the photos :occasion14:
Personally I was torn as well between the green and red. If budget allowed I would have got both. But I ended up getting the red one. But you cannot go wrong with either! :nice:

#7 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

    Bronze Member

  • DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11546 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Europe
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

First of all CONGRATULATIONS Stefanus! :eusa_clap:  This English Red example almost drew me too in for a second Norev W123. Instead I went with the Polish Edition in black over tan and need to pick up my green DE from the local Benz dealership.
I really would have liked to have seen an up trim W123 with the nicer wheels and chrome trim under the rear lights.
I keep asking is it normal that these W123s have the rear antennas extended? I like the look on these models. In reality, I only have seen this as a kid, when a fuse had blown or the motor burned that pulls and pushes the antenna up or down? :dunno:
It is really nice seeing all of these W123 models together in your pics Stefanus! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/


#8 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

View PostD N, on 20 July 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

First of all CONGRATULATIONS Stefanus! :eusa_clap:  This English Red example almost drew me too in for a second Norev W123. Instead I went with the Polish Edition in black over tan and need to pick up my green DE from the local Benz dealership.
I really would have liked to have seen an up trim W123 with the nicer wheels and chrome trim under the rear lights.
I keep asking is it normal that these W123s have the rear antennas extended? I like the look on these models. In reality, I only have seen this as a kid, when a fuse had blown or the motor burned that pulls and pushes the antenna up or down? :dunno:
It is really nice seeing all of these W123 models together in your pics Stefanus! :occasion14:

Thanks Dave! :occasion14:
Would love to see full photoshoots of your Green DE and Black Polish editions W123! :nice:

As of the antennae, as you know my dad had 1981 and 1983 W123, and the 1983 car had the retractable antennae. When the Blaupunkt New York head unit is switched on (replacing the original Becker unit), the antennae was automatically raised whether you're listening to the radio or cassette. So I guess i can be normal with the antennae extended.

#9 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2457 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:land of down under
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Nice! The English Red looks absolutely gorgeous in your photos. I was not impressed initially by just looking at the stock photos on the seller's website but your photos really changed my mind on the colour. Love it :drool5: :drool5:

#10 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 21 July 2020 - 12:35 AM, said:

Nice! The English Red looks absolutely gorgeous in your photos. I was not impressed initially by just looking at the stock photos on the seller's website but your photos really changed my mind on the colour. Love it :drool5: :drool5:

Thanks :occasion14:
Honestly my photos aren't doing justice for this color. It really looks more stunning in-person on the W123.

#11 ONLINE   T1000

T1000

    Member

  • DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3905 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bulgaria
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

This seems like a fantastic model by Norev, although it should be given the price (I prefer my Norevs to be in the 79-89EUR range, lol).
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#12 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostT1000, on 21 July 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

This seems like a fantastic model by Norev, although it should be given the price (I prefer my Norevs to be in the 79-89EUR range, lol).

Norev does a good job with this!
I paid around 109 Euro for this + shipping to USA I think.... So it wasn't the cheapest but that color made me pull the trigger :giggle:

#13 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2457 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:land of down under
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:37 PM

View Posttanayast, on 21 July 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostT1000, on 21 July 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

This seems like a fantastic model by Norev, although it should be given the price (I prefer my Norevs to be in the 79-89EUR range, lol).

Norev does a good job with this!
I paid around 109 Euro for this + shipping to USA I think.... So it wasn't the cheapest but that color made me pull the trigger :giggle:

I share the same sentiment too T. No doubt Norev's latest Mercedes releases are top notch but I do think that the prices especially the dealer edition one is a bit too dear. I guess I am in the same boat as you I am used to their 59 - 89EUR price tag with older re-releases or sealed being cheaper. I also recently realised that with the 3% VAT reduction in EU until end of the year means for those outside of EU we are essentially getting 3% less value. :) I am thinking of finding an alternate source for Norev but got nowhere yet. Even tried Taobao and the Norev selection are woeful and prices aren't exactly all that attractive. I did however found some random KK-scale on the cheap though.

#14 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 21 July 2020 - 07:37 PM, said:

View Posttanayast, on 21 July 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostT1000, on 21 July 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

This seems like a fantastic model by Norev, although it should be given the price (I prefer my Norevs to be in the 79-89EUR range, lol).

Norev does a good job with this!
I paid around 109 Euro for this + shipping to USA I think.... So it wasn't the cheapest but that color made me pull the trigger :giggle:

I share the same sentiment too T. No doubt Norev's latest Mercedes releases are top notch but I do think that the prices especially the dealer edition one is a bit too dear. I guess I am in the same boat as you I am used to their 59 - 89EUR price tag with older re-releases or sealed being cheaper. I also recently realised that with the 3% VAT reduction in EU until end of the year means for those outside of EU we are essentially getting 3% less value. :) I am thinking of finding an alternate source for Norev but got nowhere yet. Even tried Taobao and the Norev selection are woeful and prices aren't exactly all that attractive. I did however found some random KK-scale on the cheap though.

Do let us know if you find a good alternative source for Norev stuff!

#15 ONLINE   Craig

Craig

    Administrator

  • DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31415 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

I think I want one. It looks great in every colour I've seen so far.
I'm not so much into the extended radio antenna, but I can see it's authentic to real life.

F**k you Photobucket.



Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE


#16 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

View PostCraig, on 22 July 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think I want one. It looks great in every colour I've seen so far.
I'm not so much into the extended radio antenna, but I can see it's authentic to real life.

Hi Craig - If you get one, you won't be dissapointed! :occasion14:

#17 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

    Member

  • DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4740 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:14 AM

Why not cut the radio aerial at the base, and nip off the top before gluing the top onto the aerial stub?
Then you would have the aerial in the retracted position.  :twocents:

#18 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

    Member

  • DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

View Postslartibartfast229, on 22 July 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

Why not cut the radio aerial at the base, and nip off the top before gluing the top onto the aerial stub?
Then you would have the aerial in the retracted position.  :twocents:

The bottom of the extended antennae is more like 'ball and socket' inside the stub. I imagine if one want to remove the sub, the antennae can be pulled from the bottom and the stub can be reglued to the body.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users





Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.