VW Caravelle (T4) Westfalia Camper - by Schuco - DX Trucks | SUV | Haulers - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

VW Caravelle (T4) Westfalia Camper - by Schuco

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts
  • Number of Models:150+ mainly 1:18's
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, Norev, Paragon, GT-Spirit
  • Proud Citizen of: id

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

I recently added the newly-released Schuco’s 1:18 VW Caravelle (T4) Westfalia Camper to my collection. To be honest the 1st thing that attracted me to this model was the ‘base’ black bumpers, black mirror, and the plastic hubcaps. Somehow in my eyes they made the T4 Caravelle more attractive vs. the higher trim levels. And of course this being the Westfalia version is just the icing on the cake :yahoo:

The party trick of this model car is the workable raised roof! It’s very easy to operate even though out of the box the fabrics are a little wrinkly. Hoping it will straighten itself out a little bit when I left the roof up for a week or so. But this car just looks so cool with the roof raised up. Kinda makes you want to pack up and go for a camping trip somewhere nice! :nice:

The interior details are very good too. You can see all the cabinetry and compartment which to my knowledge are pretty accurate as the 1:1 Westfalia version. The diesel engine bay details are acceptable but I wouldn’t call it highly detailed.
This model is full opening of course, which is very refreshing in this age of sealed models.

There are a few downsides of this model. First is there is no opening access from the main cabin to the raised roof. Wouldn’t that be cool of the overhead panel can be opened like the 1:1? Also my other complaint are the decal curtains. It will be amazing if the drawn curtains on the windows are actual fabrics! But don’t let these minor complaints detract you from the overall model. I highly recommended it if you are considering buying one.

Here are some pictures of the Caravelle Westfalia. I also snuck in the Mercedes V-class on the last few pictures for comparison shots. Hope you like these pics :occasion14:

Posted ImageIMG_4738 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4746 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4753 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4743 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4750 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4740 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4751 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4741 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4752 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4742 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4763 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4755 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4744 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4739 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4747 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4757 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4749 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4754 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4758 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4759 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4756 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4745 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4762 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4761 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4760 by tanayast, on Flickr

Posted ImageIMG_4748 by tanayast, on Flickr

Edited by tanayast, 20 July 2020 - 10:14 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Scuddy

Scuddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2303 posts
  • Favorite Brands:No preference
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

I love that, and looked at them online, too. But if I start collecting vans, I’ll never stop! I’ll satisfying myself with your pics in the meantime :-)

Great pics again :-)

#3 ONLINE   samuelbdn

samuelbdn

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 676 posts
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt, Kyosho, CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: es

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

The model is top!

We share both (the t4b and V-Klass) and the VW is a very good add and your pics are fantastics!

Congrats :10:

#4 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

View PostScuddy, on 20 July 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

I love that, and looked at them online, too. But if I start collecting vans, I’ll never stop! I’ll satisfying myself with your pics in the meantime :-)

Great pics again :-)

Thank you :occasion14:
I understand what you meant... there is something addictive and satisfying about the scaled down vans :nice:

View Postsamuelbdn, on 20 July 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

The model is top!

We share both (the t4b and V-Klass) and the VW is a very good add and your pics are fantastics!

Congrats :10:

Thanks!
Hey great minds think alike! :occasion14:

Glad you guys enjoy the photos.

Edited by tanayast, 20 July 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   D N'D-Land

D N'D-Land

Bronze Member

• DX Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 11546 posts
  • Interests:Creative Design/Diecasts/Travel/Music/Friends & Family/Foodie
  • Favorite Brands:Best Product Made(Especially Dealer Promos)
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

Hey Stefanus! Another NICE add! :eusa_clap:
I agree, it really does look better in a lower trim. The contrast of the rear bumpers really graphically break up the boxy-ish proportions of this van better than a mono color with no contrast :yahoo:
I also like the hub caps better than the rims on the up-trim models.
As for the canvas part, if you could stream it somehow, it would rid the texture of wrinkles :nice: ..that said, unless you have access to a steamer??? Also, surprised that the inner roof didn't raise, they could have easily engineered that into the model at it's price point. :dunno:
I am surprised that the model has stickers for the side curtains? :dunno: It's not a cheap model by any means.
Overall, very interesting conversation piece. Congrats on the new addition Stefanus! :occasion14:

Make the Best Out of Life!

Feel Free To have a look at my 1/18th Collection Showcase. Link Below Posted Image

http://www.diecastxc...wcase-up-dated/

#6 OFFLINE   tanayast

tanayast

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:52 PM

View PostD N, on 20 July 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hey Stefanus! Another NICE add! :eusa_clap:
I agree, it really does look better in a lower trim. The contrast of the rear bumpers really graphically break up the boxy-ish proportions of this van better than a mono color with no contrast :yahoo:
I also like the hub caps better than the rims on the up-trim models.
As for the canvas part, if you could stream it somehow, it would rid the texture of wrinkles :nice: ..that said, unless you have access to a steamer??? Also, surprised that the inner roof didn't raise, they could have easily engineered that into the model at it's price point. :dunno:
I am surprised that the model has stickers for the side curtains? :dunno: It's not a cheap model by any means.
Overall, very interesting conversation piece. Congrats on the new addition Stefanus! :occasion14:

Thank you Dave! :occasion14:
Design wise now that read your comment and saw the car again, you're 100% correct! It's the color contrast that makes this van actually attractive instead of making it monochromatic. As a car designer you have eyes for that!! :eusa_clap:
I was thinking of steaming it but don't have one. For the time being it doesn't really bother me so I'll leave it be.

Too bad really about the no-access roof :gaah:
But can't have everything I guess......

Regardless I am very happy with this addition!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.