Why is my Maisto 2009 Nissan GTR made by Burago? - Maisto | Bburago - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

Why is my Maisto 2009 Nissan GTR made by Burago?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Number of Models:100s
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto/GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

Hey guys, i'm new here, so sorry if this might be well known by the community, but i'm pretty darn confused. I went to open the box on my Maisto 2009 Nissan GTR because the front wheel was turned to the right since the rubber band the holds the hood down was keeping the other wheel turned and I wanted to fix it. As I had the car flipped upside down I noticed a Burago logo and also didn't see the iconic 2 screws on each axle to remove the wheels and it didn't have a spring-type suspension like all Maisto models have. At that time it was apparent this was definitely not a Maisto model. I thought, wait, did someone try to pull one over on me. Then I looked on eBay and this model in blue with gold wheels is definitely in a Maisto box from other sellers.

Did Maisto acquire Burago? Also, even though it was a Burago, it was made in China, not Italy :(

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3905 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:21 AM

Maisto owns Bburago for quite a few years now. Bburago's aren't made in Italy for even longer than that. Sometimes they mix-and-match models, ie Maisto making the 1:18 while Bburago offering the 1:24 scale or the opposite.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#3 OFFLINE   BoostMasterZero

BoostMasterZero

• DX Community
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Number of Models:100s
  • Favorite Brands:Maisto/GMP
  • Proud Citizen of: us

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:35 AM

Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up. That's kind of sad in a way. I loved how Bburago was made in Italy. Just the other day I removed the cage and seat from a pretty beat up Bburago GT3 I have to place in another vehicle I had. When I put it back together I of course always noticed 'Made in Italy' and then today when I pulled out my Nissan GTR and saw Bburago and 'Made in China' I started feeling sick lol. Also I was thinking of removing the wheels from the GTR and swapping them real quick to see how they'd look on another Maisto model of mine, but I couldn't do that. Now I have to know which Maisto is truly a Maisto ugh.

Edited by BoostMasterZero, 24 July 2020 - 03:37 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Actually the Bburago of old from the Italian days weren't exactly spectacular. I had many Bburagos back in the days which were all made in Italy and the fitment of decals were shockingly bad. Compares to the one made in China at least the QC were consistent but maybe the manufacturing process has improved since. Maistos were once all made in Thailand before the factory moved to China but as far as I know those Maistos are still great to this day. Perhaps try the new Solido 1/18 that are being made in Bangladesh instead so you won't feel sick :giggle:

Edited by jazzy426, 24 July 2020 - 07:11 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4740 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

I remember seeing my local store selling Italian made Jagermeister sponsored bBurago 1/24th scale Alfa 75 models.
Not only am I not aware of any such tie up, the orange paint was terrible.
Jagermeister was a sponsor on the DTM Alfa 155, but not on the 75.
Incidentally, the shape of the 75 body was pretty accurate when representing the non turbo evo cars.
However, it didn't have much else to recommend it.

Edited by slartibartfast229, 24 July 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jazzy426

jazzy426

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:keeping it stock...
  • Number of Models:300++
  • Favorite Brands:doesnt matter as long as it is good
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

Ah now you mentioned 1/24 Bburago I now remember many years ago I used to admire the Bburago's 1/24 scale Porsche 959 for some odd reasons always wanted one. Finally bought one off eBay because the only other 959 I had was a horrid Sunnyside one. For the longest time I thought that is how the real 959 looks like until I saw the real thing. Was utterly disappointed and shelved the darn thing soon after. :giggle:

#7 OFFLINE   slartibartfast229

slartibartfast229

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 4740 posts
  • Favorite Brands:Otto
  • Proud Citizen of: ie

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

View Postjazzy426, on 24 July 2020 - 08:36 AM, said:

Ah now you mentioned 1/24 Bburago I now remember many years ago I used to admire the Bburago's 1/24 scale Porsche 959 for some odd reasons always wanted one. Finally bought one off eBay because the only other 959 I had was a horrid Sunnyside one. For the longest time I thought that is how the real 959 looks like until I saw the real thing. Was utterly disappointed and shelved the darn thing soon after. :giggle:
And it's closer to 1/25th scale - like their Porsche 935 variants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.