BBR's unlimited re-releases of limited models - BBR | Blue Moon - DiecastXchange.com Diecast Cars Forums

BBR's unlimited re-releases of limited models

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC
  • Proud Citizen of: nl

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

Does anybody know why BBR is always 're-releasing' some of their 'limited' models.

Of course, the simple answer is money, but I must admit it feels quite deceptive

An example (and there are dozens others):
  • in July 2019, I put a pre-order in for BBRC1818BV - the 1956 Ferrari 290MM driven by Fangio - which was limited to 200 models (why: because I got a chance to stand next to it in real life - and examine it in detail - in 2015, while it was on transport to RM Auctions in New York, see e.g. https://rmsothebys.c...aglietti/182099)
  • Last week, this model became available for sale, so I got an email to convert my pre-order into an order
  • This brown leather base version (BBRC1818BV) was also (almost) immediately sold out; only of the 'grey asphalt base' version (BBRC1818B) some are still available
  • Now today, I saw that BBR simply launched this model again, and you can subscribe to another batch 'limited to only 200 models' https://www.bbrmodel...uel-fangio.aspx:
Which, let's be honest, is all a bit of 'BS' (in proper French). A model limited to only 200 units, is of course not really limited if, when it sells out, they simply produce another batch of the exact same model, even with the same model code, of again 200 models....

"Is there no honour among thieves" ?

Posted Image

Edited by Quant, 31 July 2020 - 12:30 AM.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisement

• DieCastXChange.com

#2 OFFLINE   Guiddy

Guiddy

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1846 posts
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

There must be a very subtle change to the next run of 200 models? Then it isn't the same model! It is a beauty BTW!

Edited by Guiddy, 30 July 2020 - 06:28 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   StratosWRC

StratosWRC

• DX Elite
  • PipPip
  • 9078 posts
  • Number of Models:not sure anymore
  • Favorite Brands:whoever makes opening JDMs
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:30 AM

It's the Tony K/Exoto system lol, they learned from the best!
I mod stuff

Wes

#4 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Administrator

• DX Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31399 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC/ Exoto/ FrontiArt/ OttO Mobile/ UT Models
  • Proud Citizen of: gb

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

The Pagani Zonda Barchetta was recently re released too.

F**k you Photobucket.

Please feel free to check out my 1/18 collection HERE

#5 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3902 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

It's also possible they got a lot of cancellations then the invitation to finalize the order came in, so they simply re-issued the notice. Or it's has a small change somewhere to prompt a different article number hence it's a different model technically (still not a very nice thing to do to your customers). At least they give a number, it's not like the pre-production Veyrons AUTOart did back in the they which were said to be limited, but they never said to what number, lol.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#6 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

View PostGuiddy, on 30 July 2020 - 06:28 AM, said:

There must be a very subtle change to the next run of 200 models? Then it isn't the same model! It is a beauty BTW!

The thing is that they even use the same model code.

I got the same thing with their 275 GTB/4 (BBR1805) which I bought a long (long) time ago (I believe 2014); limited to only 100 units. Then I recently wanted to sell it and saw they just released another batch of BBR1805... of an additional 250 units.... (sad face)

Edited by Quant, 30 July 2020 - 07:07 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   . . .

. . .

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1882 posts
  • Favorite Brands:. . .
  • Proud Citizen of: rs

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

Similar thing was done, or being done, with FXX-K. If model has base, it is limited, if not, it is unlimited. . .

#8 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Regretfully, even with a base it's 'unlimited', as in the base is numbered (e.g. X / 200), but then they just release the exact same model and just start numbering again.

E.g. on my BBR1805 (275 GTB) from 2014 it says 014/100, but this year they released the exact same red 275 GTB again (also under code BBR1805), but then just X / 250, see e.g. https://www.carmodel...-gtb-1965/70552

Which honestly seems a bit... 'opportunistic' if formulated postively / 'deceptive' if less positively formulated (charging for a limited edition, but then not limiting it)

See also attached photo of my BBR1805 base plate:

Attached Files

Edited by Quant, 30 July 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#9 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2483 posts
  • Interests:Just started on Instagram, give me a follow: @phatboi.modelcars
  • Favorite Brands:Ignition Models, FrontiArt, Peako, BBR
  • Proud Citizen of: au

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

Wow this is pretty bad, I've known about BBR re-releasing models but to me there's always been some small difference that they use to justify reproduction. But using the same model code??? C'mon now .... That is taking the pi$$.

I've never believed a BBR model is limited because a dealer can always re-order the same model but choose different packaging option and call it an exclusive model. BBR themselves do this, and I've seen it just recently with the Zonda HP Barchetta (they said they also made small corrections) otherwise they only difference is the stitching on the base is blue instead of grey. And also they just re-released a blue chrome F40 on their official store with a carbon base, previously this was limited to 80 pieces on a standard base which sold out quickly, and fetches good money on eBay.

I would be annoyed at this from a collector viewpoint, we spend a bit extra money on brands such as BBR to get something a little more exclusive, not for the same model to re-release into the market after a year or so.

#10 OFFLINE   simondc07

simondc07

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3706 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Sports, Finance, Poker, and the Wild
  • Favorite Brands:Exoto, CMC, GMP

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

Great topic but bad news. BBR will quickly loose integrity amongst collectors with this practice. It is a dangerous game to play in today's economic climate. At the same time though it may reduce the number of speculators out there that buy multiple numbers to reduce supply only to dump them when demand increases.

I didn't realise that the 290MM had been released too - might have to put one on the Christmas wish list

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Quant

Quant

• DX Community
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

I checked with Barbara from BBR and she clarified the 'difference' of the two BBR1805 versions (i.e. the first run limited to 100 models vs. second run of 250 models) and she indicated that - although they have the same model code (which doesn't help) - they are different:

Hello,
we went to check
the different is different packaging
and different  color of interiors
best regards
Barbara

.... but you do need to have serious good eyes to spot those differences (or at least better than mine):

Second run of 250 models:
Posted Image

First version (limited to 100 models):

Attached Files

Edited by Quant, 03 August 2020 - 02:23 PM.

#12 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2483 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

Of course because striped seats and slightly different stitching(?) on the base justifies an extra 2.5 x the original production run on a limited model  :dunno:  makes complete sense.
I get it's a popular model, but limiting the first batch to 100 pieces just to get collectors to buy in fear of missing out is false advertising. Not to mention the collectors who may have bought this on the 2nd hand market and paid a premium seeing this as a one of a 100 piece run.
It maybe would have been somewhat overlooked if the 2nd release was a smaller batch and with more changes on the model, but this is just a high numbered extended production run.

#13 OFFLINE   Arnage

Arnage

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 1009 posts
  • Interests:Modern and classic cars
  • Number of Models:140
  • Favorite Brands:CMC & Autoart
  • Proud Citizen of: ca

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

I might be in the minority camp that doesn’t care much about the release numbers and re-released runs. As long as I am able get the model I want without paying an inflated price I am all good.
See my collection here
Instagram:
@stradale333

#14 OFFLINE   vulpex

vulpex

• DX Elite
  • Pip
  • 1924 posts
  • Favorite Brands:CMC, Exoto, AUTOart
  • Proud Citizen of: de

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:26 AM

View PostArnage, on 03 August 2020 - 09:23 PM, said:

I might be in the minority camp that doesn’t care much about the release numbers and re-released runs. As long as I am able get the model I want without paying an inflated price I am all good.
Personally I see it just like you, Arnage. :agreed:
But I can also understand people who buy a limited release and thereby count on the fact that it will become rare and more valuable over time.
And of course those are not enthusiastic when they see their rare limited edition being re-released...

Edited by vulpex, 04 August 2020 - 01:39 AM.

#15 ONLINE   Phatboi101

Phatboi101

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 2483 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:34 AM

There's people who aren't going to care of course, and people who will.
I think the argument is though, don't say it's a limited model when it isn't, or there is no intention to keep it limited.
Something which is limited is used to boost prices whether retail or second hand, and creates an element of exclusivity.
When we're taking about a company like BBR who make high end models and charge several hundred dollars per model, I think the limited moniker should mean something.

#16 OFFLINE   T1000

T1000

• DX Hall of Fame
  • Pip
  • 3902 posts
  • Interests:Diecasts and 1:1s
  • Favorite Brands:BBurago and mostly budgets
  • Proud Citizen of: bg

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:15 AM

I too personally don't care if a model is made in 20 or 20 000 items, but if the manufacturer claims a certain production run, then it has to stick to it or remain below it, but don't overdo it. Imagine if Bugatti, Ferrari or any other car manufacturer says "we made 40 Divos and made the owners jump through hoops to qualify for one, but since there's so much interest, we're now simply going to make 100 more". That'd be the last time that the manufacturer would ever have any respect from the 1:1 car collectors. Instead, the companies are doing the opposite, and despite being offered absurd amounts of money to do "just another one for me", they don't out of respect for their customers and integrity.

Granted, a "toy" or "scale model" doesn't have the same value, nor the same high-ranking, influentual customers, but a customer is a customer and companies should respect these relations.
I'll be back
Posted Image
Rammstein lights the match again!
..-. --- .-. --.. .- | ..-. . .-. .-. .- .-. ..

#17 OFFLINE   forza!

forza!

Forza Ferrari!

• DX Community
  • Pip
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Cars, international trade, logistics
  • Number of Models:70(ish) 1:18
  • Favorite Brands:AutoArt

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostT1000, on 04 August 2020 - 06:15 AM, said:

I too personally don't care if a model is made in 20 or 20 000 items, but if the manufacturer claims a certain production run, then it has to stick to it or remain below it, but don't overdo it. Imagine if Bugatti, Ferrari or any other car manufacturer says "we made 40 Divos and made the owners jump through hoops to qualify for one, but since there's so much interest, we're now simply going to make 100 more". That'd be the last time that the manufacturer would ever have any respect from the 1:1 car collectors. Instead, the companies are doing the opposite, and despite being offered absurd amounts of money to do "just another one for me", they don't out of respect for their customers and integrity.

Granted, a "toy" or "scale model" doesn't have the same value, nor the same high-ranking, influentual customers, but a customer is a customer and companies should respect these relations.

Enter Ferrari, who definitely never ever stick to any limitations on their limited production run models. Of course they're saying that they build only 272, 349, 400 or whatever limited amount of cars, but they take quite some liberty on those figures.
Apparently it's more important to make money than to create demand. Would the same philosophy not go for a lot of other companies making limited editions?
Dream car top 5 (in random order):
McLaren F1 - Lamborghini Diablo SE30 - Ferrari F50 - Bugatti EB110 - Ferrari 550 Maranello

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.