DiecastXchange Forum banner

Exoto Alfetta 159 Problems

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mxrz 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I posted a similar topic on another diecast forum but after seeing that this forum has a section specific to Exoto problems I thought I'd post my Exoto problem here.

I recently purchased a brand new Alfetta 159 from casabatillaro (rated 5*) on ebay. The delivery and shipping was super quick. The box genuinely seemed to be in mint condition and the model was intricately packaged with all the protective film so it didn't look like this model had been taken out of the box before. So I didn't get the impression that this was a used or refurbished model although having done a bit of digging in these forums I saw some suggestions that casabatillaro may in fact be selling defective or refurbished models which may explain the problems with my model.

So my first impressions were good until I started inspecting the details and assembling the model. There is some blistering on the paint, one of the knock offs won't tighten all the way and most dissapointingly of all the supposedly magnetic under body panel simply won't stick. When the car is the right side up it just falls off. This is so frustrating and disappointing given an otherwise exquisitely detailed and accurate model is let down by these fundamental flaws.

It is not what I was expecting given how much these models cost. I had read glowing reviews about the model itself in various places but unfortunately before my purchase hadn't come across any of the problems with the company which many people seem to be experiencing.

I am thinking of getting some metal glue to stick on the under body panel and I'll just have to put up with the rest of the defects. Having read about the experiences of others it doesn't seem to be worth opening a dispute with the seller/manufacturer.

I thought I'd post my experience here partly to went my frustration and partly to see if others have had a similar experience, particularly with this model.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can return it if you bought it on ebay. But lots of Exotos are flawed in some way. Paint rash is normal. Ill-fitting parts are normal. Something like a magnetic part not staying in place is totally expected. Up to you if you want to return it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

This was my first experience with Exoto. I had read a glowing review of this particular model by Rusty Hurley over at diecast.org but until now did not know that they were known for issues like these.

It is just a shame that the model on the whole is genuinely exquisitely detailed and can be considered to be a proper replica but is let down by a few fundemental flaws like these.

I have emailed the seller to see if they would be willing to offer a price reduction in which case I would probably keep it.

As I said I'm thinking of glueing on the magnetic panel. I assume a decent quality metal glue would do the job.

But in the future I would not consider buying an Exoto model however good it might look on paper.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
One can still buy Exoto (if you are willing to pay the elevated prices) but it is crucial to have a return option.

Especially the Alfetta 159 seems to usually suffer from many problems like paint rash (even factory mint samples) and broken parts.
It is really sad because this is such an iconic car and the model being from Exoto's XS series shows stellar details.

But there are still buyers out there who do not care about such issues:
Yesterday a Dino 246 (Hawthorn) was sold on eBay with a crack in the glass of the windshield - it finally went for mor than 1,100€!

Another sample with the same problem and a broken steering was sold for almost 700€ only some hours later...

#5 ·
These issues are fixable if you have the experience but if you are unsure how to deal with paint rash or how to use glue (at least you aren't talking about using super glue!) then I would leave well alone. Krystal Klear would hold that bottom section in place and is water soluble if you ever want to remove it.

A lot of damage can be done without experience!

At least as a buyer on ebay you are pretty sure to win any dispute if you are still in the time frame. My conscience would be more than happy to make any claim against Tony K!

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry that I didn't get back to you on this! How did you get on with your repair?

Yes I do mean Microscale Kristal Klear. It is one of three glues in my Armory. It can be used for any material, dries completely clear and can be removed with water.
It is more than strong enough to fix any part on a model car. It's just no good if you have a very small contact area like a mirror for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.